Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

5 hours ago, onedrop said:

the horror. we are married to this nightmare, players are not. i begrudge no one for wanting out of here.

Hell, I've wanted out of here since Cousins was playing high school football. There is no end to the idiocy of a Daniel Snyder ran football team. I knew what Allen was going to turn out to be and spelled it out here almost a decade ago in 2009.

It wasn't me going out on a limb. Bruce Allen continuing to be Bruce Allen under Dan Snyder was too predictable. When you are a Redskins fan you should have an innate ability to smell out a dumpster fire as it's being stoked up.

Cousins just gives some of us a reason to go to another team and he makes the reality of this dumpster fire more clear to people like myself.

Hell, for years and years we've all said "just get us a franchise QB and it'll make up for the rest of the idiocy and we'd compete every year at least." (And I know for a fact that Cousins is just as good as 7-9 x3 Brees on a bad team)

But see we underestimated the power of Doofus Dan and his idiot machine. We had no idea that they'd actually sabotage Cousins by removing the liittle bit of offensive talent we had and that his Tampa Bay crew were going to be Spurrier level dumb ****s who actually believe that their offense can win by itself with no talents such as Grant, Kelly,  Perrine, and 15 other guys that can't stay on the field. Hell, our two best offensive weapons, Davis and Thompson, no other team in the league even signed when they were available. 

We have a running game that put up 1269 yards and 6 TDs. Tom Brady would look like Kirk Cousins without his annual 1800-2100 rushing yards and 19 rushing tds and 2 or 3 clutch receivers. Hell, Gronk misses 1 game and they lose it almost every time it happens.

http://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/patriots-offense-missed-rob-gronkowski-badly-vs-dolphins

0-11 on 3rd down. Receivers couldn't get open without Gronk? But they have Cooks, a guy that they traded a first rounder for. Oh, and Brady tossed up 2 dumb ass picks.

Gruden and Allen both actually believe that the Redskins will not miss a beat with McCoy at QB? I really want to see this next year because it's going to be hilarious. Just because the Eagles have built a team that can still win playoff games without their franchise QB does not mean that the Redskins can still win anything at all without theirs. Because the team and coaches suck, just look at the end of halves for evidence of the hilariously bad coaching.

I really hope that Cousins signs with Jax. I always thought that the Redskins should have grabbed up Coughlin but then they pulled Gibbs out of retirement instead which looked like the smart move at the time, but Coughlin was available again 2 years ago, same with Wade Phillips who has been available repeatedly while we're going with bums like Haslett and Berry and Gruden and Allen signing off on all of this buffoonery. It's kinda hilarious. 

It's never ever going to stop being a dumpster fire, which apparently many Redskins fans have grown to have a particular fondness for. They reminisce of the days of Spurrier announcing to the world that Danny Weurfel and Trung Candidate are core guys on his Redskins football team.

I won't begrudge them that and when Cousins is gone you can try to convince yourself that Alex Smith or Bortles or Dalton or Bradford or even McCoy or some mythical Snyder draft wonder Qb is going to be enough but no franchise QB will be enough. This team is no better than 8-8 or 7-9 or 9-7 with Tom Brady and in the very unlikely occurrence of a 0 injury year they might just compete but that'll never ever ever happen. 

This team exisits only to make you scratch your head and laugh out loud at the dumb **** that they do to themselves so I'll be doing that. 

Like a wise man once said years ago on ES, "they should play Benny Hill music in the background while showing Redskins games" 

:rofl89:

On 1/15/2018 at 9:53 AM, skinsOLfan said:

Some of the Kirk supports make me laugh always boasting his 4000+ yd seasons, completion percentage, etc but the only stat that counts is wins and loses.

You guys make every excuse in the book for Kirk, it's always someone else on the teams fault never Kirk, the defense sucks, no running game, the receivers suck. 

And when RGIII was here everything was his fault although his OL was nowhere near as good as this one (changed/upgraded 3 starters for Kirk) the defense wasn't all world but even when RGIII's did his "part" and scored enough to win but defense or special teams lost us the game, the loss was all his fault. But with Kirk it's not him it's everyone else. However Kirk chokes in every big game or situation when those around him are playing well, how many times has he thrown a pick 6 or interception in the endzone thwarting a scoring drive? All of his "stats" move the team between the 20s but he chokes in the redzone.

Also with his passing stats how many times have his receivers bailed him out on some terrible throws or he throws the checkdown and a receiver turns it into a long touchdown (Crowder and Thompson on screen plays).

Don't get me wrong Kirk is a good NFL starter not elite but top 15 but there's no way he deserves to be the "highest" paid player in the NFL because for the money he and his agent expect/demand he should be able to put the team on his back and win in spite of how the rest of the team is playing, he should be able to elevate those around him not just pad his stats. Because ALL of the other QBs in that pay range have won multilpe division titles and 10+ win seasons and have played in or won Super Bowls and Cousins has not.

I would rather tag and trade Kirk or let him walk and continue to build the team (Gruden must make running the football a priority) with better Defense and running the football. Team > individual player.

It is funny how you contradicted yourself. First you say Kirk is responsible for wins and loses but at the end you say team > one player. :ols:

Let's go over some points in your post, shall we...Some of the OL didn't even like RG3 and how he moved the line by running around and making them tired in trying to protect his ass from getting sacked. Kirk comes into the same line and stands in the pocket and everything is running good again. Amazing how a pocket passer can effect the same line. 

I think you really need to read a lot of pages here in this thread to see no one is calling Kirk an elite QB. The Kirk supporter have even said he has certain faults but at least he is still above avg. QB and need to be kept for stability and continuity of the team. 

McVey always got too cute in the red zone by the way. But let's go ahead and blame Kirk on the play calling as well with no tall WR or a healthy Reed or a damn good runner. 

If a WR can't "bailout" his QB then that WR should not be on the field at all!

Oh, all of the QB in that pay range were franchised by their team because you know that is what a normal FO does. Lock them up for the long haul because they know the price is going to keep on going up and up if they don't . So, don't blame the ineptitude of the FO on what Kirk is making. Take out the money part and then compare the QB you have in your mind and tell me how Kirk would stack against them. It also helps if you actually list the QB you have in mind. 

3 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

Are you sure about that?

Bortles

2015 - went 5-11 and lost 6 games by 7 or less points.

2016 - went 3-13 and lost 8 games by 7 or less points.

2015, the 6 games they lost by 7 points or fewer: 

1. Colts with Matt Hasselbeck, scored 13 pts

2. Tampa, Jags down 38-24 with about 8:30 to go. About 100 yards and a TD in garbage time to make it 38-31 final. 

3. Jets, Jags down 28-16 with 2:41 to go. 75 yards and a TD in garbage time, 28-23 final. 

4. Chargers, Jags down 31-19 with 4:45 to go. 70 yards and a TD in garbage time, 31-25 final. 

5. Titans, 42-39 loss. No garbage time 

6. Falcons, 23-17 loss, no garbage time

In half of the games where the final score makes it look close, he had significant garbage time stats. 

2016 is probably even worse though I haven't looked at all the games. They were losing 35-0 at the start of the 4th quarter, and of course Bortles ends up with 2 TDs in the 4th quarter to go with 329 yards and 2 picks. 329 and 2 TDs looks like a good game when it's removed from any context. 

46 minutes ago, skinsfan35yrs. said:

as far as your comments about RGlll and his O line, when Kirk would come in with the same O line Kirk did far better and was sacked alot less

Yep. Back when RG3 was still media darling there were so many obnoxious articles and comments about how "terrible" the OL was. That changed quickly with a QB who can actually read a defense. 

I'm not an expert either but it's amazing how many people getting paid to write about football have essentially no idea what they are talking about. 

And remember how many people blasted other fans for saying that the OL was pretty good but RG3 was making them look bad.

Then after 3 quarters of Cousins vs Jax in 2014  Cousins was doing alright but our great OL was giving him tons of time and any QB would be carving up their defense like that. :rofl89:

17 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

2. Tampa, Jags down 38-24 with about 8:30 to go. About 100 yards and a TD in garbage time to make it 38-31 final. 

3. Jets, Jags down 28-16 with 2:41 to go. 75 yards and a TD in garbage time, 28-23 final. 

4. Chargers, Jags down 31-19 with 4:45 to go. 70 yards and a TD in garbage time, 31-25 final. 

In half of the games where the final score makes it look close, he had significant garbage time stats. 

2016 is probably even worse though I haven't looked at all the games. They were losing 35-0 at the start of the 4th quarter, and of course Bortles ends up with 2 TDs in the 4th quarter to go with 329 yards and 2 picks. 329 and 2 TDs looks like a good game when it's removed from any context. 

I knew all this but wasn't going to go to the trouble of looking it up to satisfy an argument this ridiculous.  But kudos to you for doing it.  I had Bortles in fantasy and watched the Jags routinely be out of games and light up the scoreboard thereafter.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the narrative that the Browns have more upside than the Redskins. Oh my, they have so many draft picks. Oh my, they have a traditional Front Office set up. The Browns have a horrible track record with their draft picks. The Redskins have a relatively normal hit rate on their draft picks over the past few years. The Redskins have very good depth (which we saw way too much of due to injuries) and the chance to add more. The Browns have some potential, but that's it. Maybe it will work out, probably it wont. The Redskins have a solid core, that if it remains healthy and is paired again with Cousins (on an LTD) will make it to the playoffs in 2018. The Browns (and to a lesser extent the Jets) with Cousins is a complete question mark to me. Not equal, definitely not better.

Some interesting Kirk nuggets in this article. Not sure how reliable the source is tho.

http://draftanalyst.com/shrine-game-monday-night-notes

"One of the big names expected to hit the free-agent market is quarterback Kirk Cousins. As expected as I was told tonight that the Washington Redskins have not given up on re-signing their starting signal caller.

If not the Redskins, look for the Cleveland Browns, New York Jets and/or Arizona Cardinalsto bid for the services of Cousins.

Should the Browns sign Cousins, the belief is that they would not use the first pick of the draft on a quarterback, as they’d go a different route and select Penn State running back Saquon Barkley.

The Jets have been a quarterback-hungry franchise for a while but may be locked out of the top three quarterbacks with the sixth selection in the draft. Cousins would be the immediate remedy, and they could still keep one of their young passers around, likely Bryce Petty."

4 hours ago, PF Chang said:

Seriously? 

The Jags had the lead in the Tampa game with 37 seconds left in the 3rd Qtr, they were down 1 possession with 8 minutes to go in the game until they fumbled.  You can even take away the last TD Bortles had and he still had 3 TD's and 1 INT (24 of the 31 points) before the TD you consider to be garbage time.  

The Jets game was close, the Jets took a 12 point lead with 2:41 left in the game, then the Jags scored a TD in 25 seconds to make it a 5 point game with 2:16 to go in the 4th.  That game was close and went down to the wire.

I can't even give you the Chargers game, the Chargers made that a 2 possession game with 4:45 left in the 4th quarter.

Garbage time is when you're down and out and have no chance to win and you rack up worthless yards and points, I don't see that being the case in any of these games, the 3 you mention were all 1 possession games late in the 4th.

Skinsfan35yrs what was Kirk's record as a starter while RGIII was here, not as good and how many times was Kirk sacked?

The thing is RGIII always looked touchdown and worked back to checkdown where Kirk is the opposite he looks checkdown and works to touchdown. RGIII had a way better longball than kirk, go back and watch the three game stretch in 2012 when RGIII beat the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys in succesive weeks.

Look at our record since Kirk became the full time starter, 9-7, 8-7-1 (8-8 to me) and 7-9 and prior to that has a losing record overall and couldn't beat a team with a winning record but all you Kirk fans want to pay him whatever he want but want the team to cut Josh Norman, Jordan Reed etc..

Only keep player ..... if he's willing to play for less than market value or send him packing but not Kirk give him anything he wants because we can't win without him I tell ya!!!

News flash we've been mediocre with Kirk to me he's average, if he needs everything around him perfect in order to win then why do the Redskins need to make him the highest paid player?????????????

10 hours ago, PF Chang said:

Yep. Back when RG3 was still media darling there were so many obnoxious articles and comments about how "terrible" the OL was. That changed quickly with a QB who can actually read a defense. 

I'm not an expert either but it's amazing how many people getting paid to write about football have essentially no idea what they are talking about. 

On the other hand, we've swapped out 3/5s of that o line so they couldn't have been that great. Different center, right guard, and right tackle. We kept Trent and everyone has been saying that the other remainder Shaun has been a weak link and that they wanted him replaced for years.

15 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

Luck will be back and the young QB at Houston is a stud, this may end up being one of the more competitive divisions in the AFC when its all said and done.

Still, look at that division;

the Colts are shopping for a new HC, so its a rebuilding thing going on there so that team won't take shape for at least 2 years.

Houston; Deshaun Watson is following Griffin's footsteps to a tee. Season-ending injury, torn ACL or whatever he messed up, recovering. When he does return back to the field, he will still be on a team that has 1 good WR, no RBs or TEs worth mentioning, so it will be Watson running for his life once again, and we've all seen this story play out before.

The Titans just canned their HC, so they're gonna be in limbo for at least a few more years until their new HC shows anything.

14 hours ago, onedrop said:

on the radio the other day they were basically saying the jags want to keep winning but the more they do they screw themselves because it is more likely that bortles is their QB next year. you have to be a special kind of terrible to be one game from a superbowl and have sports pundits say that kind of crap about you.

I watched the Jags / Bills game, and Bortles looked horrible; the bills lost because they never adjusted [ sound familiar? ] to him running out of the pocket instead of passing, and he was able to pick up some crucial 1st downs. Belichick already has that issue solved, and when Bortles is forced to stay in the pocket, he will either be sacked like crazy or he will be throwing prayers all game.

Its like a painting taking shape. You see the outlines and a few hints of an image but its not totally revealed, until that 1 brush stroke, then it 'clicks', and you say 'oooooh, now I see'. not 'you' personally, just figuratively speaking.

11 hours ago, PF Chang said:

2 hours ago, skinsOLfan said:

Skinsfan35yrs what was Kirk's record as a starter while RGIII was here, not as good and how many times was Kirk sacked?

The thing is RGIII always looked touchdown and worked back to checkdown where Kirk is the opposite he looks checkdown and works to touchdown. RGIII had a way better longball than kirk, go back and watch the three game stretch in 2012 when RGIII beat the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys in succesive weeks.

Look at our record since Kirk became the full time starter, 9-7, 8-7-1 (8-8 to me) and 7-9 and prior to that has a losing record overall and couldn't beat a team with a winning record but all you Kirk fans want to pay him whatever he want but want the team to cut Josh Norman, Jordan Reed etc..

Only keep player ..... if he's willing to play for less than market value or send him packing but not Kirk give him anything he wants because we can't win without him I tell ya!!!

News flash we've been mediocre with Kirk to me he's average, if he needs everything around him perfect in order to win then why do the Redskins need to make him the highest paid player?????????????

I know there are clearly still some bent feelings about Robert - from both sides - but seriously we need to move on. If we can't move on let's at least not revise history. That Oline was total ****. It was just as ****ty when Kirk played and he did not transform them into gold when he came in. The difference is Kirk threw interceptions and Robert held the ball too long and got sacked. 

Kirk was an interception machine. He combated the poor line play by getting rid of the ball, which is fine but you have to know when to throw into tight windows and when to just throw it away. He still struggles throwing it away sometimes but is getting better. He is starting to take a few more sacks but that has reduced his Ints so I am happy with that. There were less times each year where I was yelling at the screen - Get rid of the ****ing ball!!!! Thehe idea that Kirk cannot throw a long ball is just plain false. He led the league in 2016 for both air yards thrown and air yards per att. He has been in the top for both of those categories every year. It's just we live and die by every throw so we remember every missed opportunity. This past year he had two new guys - one that turned into a bust as he had iron hands and one still learning and while he made some great plays also dropped some key passes. Yet he still put up more than respectable numbers and we were still in the PO hunt well into the second half of the season - despite all the changes and injuries. 

As for Robert, he was not looking for TDs, he didn't know where to look and was mostly confused. He came from a one read system. Once they gave him progressions he struggled mightily. As for long balls, Robert had a stronger arm but was not as accurate. The other difference between him and Kirk is that Kirk continued to get better. He self scouted and continues to work on his craft and each year you can see improvements. Something Robert just would never do. It was always the people around him that had to get better. That's why he is unemployed right now and Kirk will be getting at least a top 5 salary either here or elsewhere.

Back to the "winning record" BS. Here are both records as starters. You can't just isolate when both were here as one was the named starter getting all the reps the other was a back-up.: 

Robert

2012 - started in 15 games - 9-6. 

2013 - Started 13 games - 3-10 

2014 - Started 7 games - 2-5

Kirk 

2012 - 1-0

2013 - 0-3

2014 - 0-5

At this point, there was no indication he would turn into a quality starter. So anyone thinking he was not the answer was justified. However, it's a good thing we had Jay Gruden and Scot M. 

2015 - 9-7

2016 - 8-7-1

2017 - 7-9

So as the named starter: 

Robert - 35 starts - 14-21 - winning % - 40%

Kirk - 48 starts - 24-23-1 winning % - 51% - Even if you and his spot starting, including the throwing to the wolves end of 2013 bull**** - it's still 25-31-1. winning % - 45%

As for the sacked question - 

Robert 35 games  - 101 sacks or 2.89/gm

Kirk - As a back-up (2012-2014) 9 games - 16 sacks or 1.78/gm - As the named starter (2015-2017) 48 gms - 106 sacks or 2.2/gm. - Overall - 57 gms - 122 sacks or 2.14/gm. 

So as I said, early on he was throwing ints instead of getting sacked. Since then he has self scouted and is taking a few more sacks but not as many ints. It should also be noted that until this year when the Oline played more than 22 different combinations due to injury, Kirk's sack rate was 41 gms - 81 sacks or 1.97/gm. No matter how you slice it Robert took more sacks because quite frankly he either held the ball too long out of confusion (mostly earlier in his career) or pulled it and ran too early (more later on). 

Not even wasting my time with the team with a winning record bull****. For both guys, it's still a team game. Both Kirk and Robert were let down by their defenses. 

Again, this is not to take either side but to quite frankly say that both of the arguments above have real problems with accuracy. Just get's really old coming in here to read about Kirk and you get the extreme sides continuing to recycle dead comparisons between Kirk and a guy who has been gone for 3 years now, and I mean that from both sides of this argument!! They are two different guys playing with completely different players for the most part and a different coaching staff. 

Let it go! OK rant over. It will not likely change anything. But it made me feel better. So anyone who got this far - good on you. I would have probably given up after the first few sentences. 

Ultimately, as I have made clear for a very long time, I would like to see Kirk with more support around him and they need to offer him a true market deal, not these low ball garbage deals. He is not an elite QB - at least not yet. But he is very good. And despite some people really just not understanding (or choosing to ignore) the QB market, really good gets paid elite when it comes contract time. It's just a fact in the NFL. You can not like it. You can think it's unfair. You can even hate the player and assume they are greedy. But none of that will change the fact that to get even good QB play you will need to pay for it unless you are lucky enough to draft one and not be stupid enough to do what Bruce has done.

Thank you Bruce Allen for this complete mess! May your penguin die in your bath tub! Kudos to anyone who reads this far AND gets the reference! 

Sheehan-Cooley talking this morning about how close the roster is to contend for a Championship.  Sheehan thinks they are far off partly because of who picks the groceries here.  He doesn't subscribe to let Kirk go and have this FO build themselves a defense-running game because he doesn't think they are capable of doing it. 

Cooley thinks if they keep Kirk, they aren't that far off.  He thinks they need another defensive tackle, WR and RB.

12 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

I am still trying to wrap my head around the narrative that the Browns have more upside than the Redskins. Oh my, they have so many draft picks. Oh my, they have a traditional Front Office set up. The Browns have a horrible track record with their draft picks. The Redskins have a relatively normal hit rate on their draft picks over the past few years. The Redskins have very good depth (which we saw way too much of due to injuries) and the chance to add more. The Browns have some potential, but that's it. Maybe it will work out, probably it wont. The Redskins have a solid core, that if it remains healthy and is paired again with Cousins (on an LTD) will make it to the playoffs in 2018. The Browns (and to a lesser extent the Jets) with Cousins is a complete question mark to me. Not equal, definitely not better.

You're forgetting the most important advantage.  The Browns aren't stuck with Dan Snyder as an owner.

23 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Gruden brought his system to DC and besides developing KC to stardom, also has a hand in nurturing McVay into the HC he is.

KC gets the credit for being coachable and dedicated. 

Quest.. What do u think Tom Brady would be if we had drafted him??

Struggling to understand what this has to do with my point that Gruden's job is head coach.   My point was Kirk has not enjoyed all the benefits players enjoy when playing under a coach like Gibbs or Parcells.   As for Brady I believe he would have been Tom Brady in most every situation. 

Sure you can argue that he did a good job in developing Kirk but it's odd that you don't want to give much credit to Kirk, he is the guy who is actually making the throws.  Interesting how Colt McCoy or Griffin never really improved under Grudog.  It's also interested as I said earlier that Daulton's numbers have improved fairly dramatically after Gruden left, throwing a wrench into the Gruden System is The Reason For Kirk's Success theory.  

I have a sneaking suspicion that as the reality of not having a competent qb inches closer that the Skins will either capitulate and sign him for whatever it takes or will franchise him again. Just a gut feeling. 

I think without Kirk in the fold Bruce/Dan will be worried about being exposed as the clueless shrews they are. I don’t think either wants letting him walk on their watch.

Because what comes after could be  fatal for Bruce and potentially disasterous for Dan in the short and Long term for the franchise regarding the fan base. Just my 2cents!

24 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that as the reality of not having a competent qb inches closer that the Skins will either capitulate and sign him for whatever it takes or will franchise him again. Just a gut feeling. 

I think without Kirk in the fold Bruce/Dan will be worried about being exposed as the clueless shrews they are. I don’t think either wants letting him walk on their watch.

Because what comes after could be  fatal for Bruce and potentially disasterous for Dan in the short and Long term for the franchise regarding the fan base. Just my 2cents!

this is a perfect summary for the only reason why I have some optimism left about a deal.  It's not about trusting the FO's acumen or anything like that.  But its they understand the PR fallout for being wrong -- and they are already at the edge of the cliff in terms of gaining any trust from their fanbase as is. Them pulling the trigger and Plan B failing -- might just be the straw that finally breaks the camels back in terms of fan apathy where it noticeably effects their wallets.

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan-Cooley talking this morning about how close the roster is to contend for a Championship.  Sheehan thinks they are far off partly because of who picks the groceries here.  He doesn't subscribe to let Kirk go and have this FO build themselves a defense-running game because he doesn't think they are capable of doing it. 

Cooley thinks if they keep Kirk, they aren't that far off.  He thinks they need another defensive tackle, WR and RB.

Ting about that is that if Cooley is right - and we find the money - those positions are SO easy to find a difference maker at the right price. Trades, picks, FA.....lots of tools to use. Look at what Philthy did. They took an OK roster and traded what they had until they got what they wanted. I dont think we should necessarily do that. But if hes right, and we are that close, we could conceivably do something similar. 

Gotta keep the Kirk, though. And thats not guaranteed at this point. 

32 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I think this could end up being the best thing for everyone involved. If somehow missing on Kirk got Dan, Bruce and whoever the **** else out of town forever I would officially call Kirk the best player to ever wear the uniform. I would even buy his got damn jersey and I dont own any of those. 

Archived