Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Funny you mention that, I just edited to add that the QB must throw the long ball a lot to satisfy the thirsty talent assessors.

lol. Great minds..

Honestly, that's one reason I think Memphis QB Riley Ferguson would be a great day 2 pick for us. He's fairly accurate, throws very well on rollouts, and has a long ball in his arsenal.

Here's a link to his 2017 game against UCLA. 6 TDs

16 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

lol. Great minds..

Honestly, that's one reason I think Memphis QB Riley Ferguson would be a great day 2 pick for us. He's fairly accurate, throws very well on rollouts, and has a long ball in his arsenal.

Here's a link to his 2017 game against UCLA. 6 TDs

I was impressed with Anthony Miller too.

34 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A. Scrambling

B. Winning - everything else be damned, the QB wins or loses.

C: The long ball - you must heave the long ball A LOT.

Also franchise QBs really don't have bad games, maybe once in a blue moon.  And heck they never have a bad game with high stakes in play.  If that ever happened, its unforgivable and unforgotten -- its worn on the QB and it dogs them like a curse through the rest of their career. 

Not only don't franchise QBs care about how much their defense gives up in a game but they welcome the challenge for having a porous defense, they embrace it -- to showcase the prowess.  If your opponent scores 34 points -- the franchise QB scores 35.  That's just how they roll. :)

They also really don't need any supporting casts.  3 yards or less a carry, no problem at all.  Most franchise QBs thrive when their team is one dimensional.  Rodgers, Brady, etc have played with scrubs their whole career at receiver.  Ryan Grant would be the #1 receiver for either team.  Robert Kelley would be like Walter Payton to their running games.  They'd kill for this supporting cast.  I don't think B. Cooks, J. Nelson, D. Adams, etc could even crack the line up here. :)

Actually in all seriousness, none of us are QB experts but we all watch enough football to know the difference between a good QB and a JAG especially if you watch said player for numerous games.  Vision-anticipation-accuracy-touch-pocket presence-foot work- arm strength.  Some guys like G. Cosell are obsessed with arm strength.  Parcell -- accuracy-completion percentage.  People have differing opinions. You don't sit there and digest every variable in every moment.  Most of it is just the eye test game after game after game. 

When I was in New Orleans and watched Brees and Kirk battle it out, I felt we had a guy who can keep pace and that was a fun watch.  Unique compared to what we've had here in the past.   When I was in Dallas for the last game of the 2015 season, you could see the difference in arm velocity between Kirk and Colt.  Ditto in camp when I watched Kirk, Sudfeld and Colt throw back to back.   The difference was very pronounced. 

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Likewise.

Two things ES and ultimately football fans in general love more than anything:

A. Scrambling

EDIT: I forgot about

There is no particular order but I'm convinced this is the end all, be all list of QB assessment.  Also, nevermind data on these points either.  Selective memory is the most efficient assessment method.

i like it, good points. 

the selective memory aspect is so true. winning cures everything and obscures your QBs mistakes. we aren't built for that. nor do we have outstanding "coaching up" ability to elevate average players in a system to BE built that way. with the rise of the crappy quarterback in the playoffs many are clamoring against cousins saying a team can win with a subpar QB but a great run game and "lights out" defense.  great, we have neither. further, the guys we have that are good or promising or developing are elevated more in our minds than non skins fans. no one is out there plotting to add doctson to complete a stable of elite WRs and there are zero teams meeting to discuss how perine will put them over the top...... 

the defense has building blocks yes. and when you are this level of bad you need as many offensive blocks as possible too. we have a better than serviceable cornerstone already. if, by some small chance, KC stays the cap nerds won't let this team be hamstrung. it just isn't going to happen that way. you can't build a team by going backwards and losing the best person on the team at their individual position would be that.

2 minutes ago, onedrop said:

with the rise of the crappy quarterback in the playoffs many are clamoring against cousins saying a team can win with a subpar QB but a great run game and "lights out" defense.  great, we have neither.

Couldn't agree more.

Sometimes folks get it twisted and assume those of that want to keep Kirk are of the belief that there is only one way to win in the league.  That's not the case.  Elite defense and a monster running game with solid QB play will absolutely take your far.  We're just not built like that at all.  I'm not opposed to the belief of building a dominant defense and a running game, I just think we're miles away from that as we sit today with this coach and personnel. It sounds good to say 'build up the defense' but a lot more goes into it than that.

28 minutes ago, onedrop said:

you can't build a team by going backwards and losing the best person on the team at their individual position would be that.

Hes not the best person on this team athis individual position, though. But, having said that, I think some of them (Norman, Reed) are expendable as well.

Trent Williams, in my opinion, is the best player at his respective position, on our team though. Zach Brown is arguably better at his position than Kirk is as well. Kerrigan is ballpark similar to Kirk.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Hes not the best person on this team athis individual position, though. But, having said that, I think some of them (Norman, Reed) are expendable as well.

while it is certainly open to interpretation and opinion, who is better? reed? can't even stay on the field so thats a potential vs reality argument. norman, frankly was the only person that came to mind when i typed that, but he was toasted a few times as well and is judged far less because a CB is FAR less responsible than a QB when considering involvement with the football. 

at the end of the day a QB touches the ball 99.9% of every offensive play and ours is better that just good. unless you're doing a complete rebuild you keep that. without, you have no QB, no running game a bunch of receivers that can't catch or can't hold on to the ball if they do, a TE one hit away from being a potato and a bunch of big hearted has beens/never will bes. the FO played chicken and lost, now we are will most likely lose the best thing about our offensive so the "spin" cycle has begun lest this fan base further abandon this hapless franchise. 

norman is by far the best d player in my opinion and can change the flow of a game with HOW he does something. you should build on that as well but I'm willing to be dollars to donuts he gets out the moment he can as well.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Disagree.  Zach Brown looks like a gift from god to us because of what we're used to.  Funny, some would say the same about Kirk. ZB is not without flaws.

Also like Kirk, warts and all, I want him signed.  

When you’re talking “better” at a respective position, you talk about overall ability at that spot. I put Kirk in the 8-12 range as a QB. Probably closer to the higher end.

I put Brown in 6-8 range at his position. Though I could see the argument. Brown, Kirk and Kerrigan are all in that same range at their position, imo.

Norman, Reed (healthy) and Williams are higher at their respective positions. But I’d be willing to part with two of them.

@onedrop you forgot TW71. 

Also, you’re arguing valuable vs. best at their position. There is a difference.

Norman and Reed are better at their position that Kirk. I’d argue Norman and Kirk have similar value while Reed’s is tremendously less so.

TW is better at his position and more valuable than Kirk, again, in my opinion.

Brown and Kerrigan are in the same range as Kirk for both, I’d argue.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

When you’re talking “better” at a respective position, you talk about overall ability at that spot. I put Kirk in the 8-12 range as a QB. Probably closer to the higher end.

I put Brown in 6-8 range at his position. Though I could see the argument. Brown, Kirk and Kerrigan are all in that same range at their position, imo.

Norman, Reed (healthy) and Williams are higher at their respective positions. But I’d be willing to part with two of them.

Also, you’re arguing valuable vs. best at their position. There is a difference.

Norman and Reed are better at their position that Kirk. I’d argue Norman and Kirk have similar value while Reed’s is tremendously less so.

i like all of those guys so i don't want to argue against them. as i said it is definitely subjective. however, i will say that we found a way to play without most of the guys you mentioned at some point this year. not so much regarding KC and QB is a harder spot to fill in general. 

on a different not i never want to lose TW, just for smacking the **** out of dick sherman.

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I agree and would say Trent is right there with Joe Thomas as the best LT in football.  For those saying you don't need to keep Kirk, maybe look at the crap Joe Thomas has played with and that 1-31 record the Browns have going on and then imagine our record with Trent protecting the blind side of say former Cleveland starter Colt McCoy.  It is not a pretty picture.  

Oldie but goodie

http://www.espn980.com/2016/07/29/audio-redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-talks-blue-and-red-players-and-a-redskins-team-without-junior-galette/

Chris Cooley:  How many more “Reds” do you need to be “Great?”

Scot McCloughan:   I think we added probably ten this year…. Hopefully, another ten.  And then we’ll be solid.  Because the “Red” is not just a quality starter, but it’s depth.  You’re going to have injuries, like we’ve already had now, and we had last year.  But that’s part of the business. It’s always a work in progress.

Chris Cooley:  Who are your Blues?

Scot McCloughan:  Trent Williams, DeSean Jackson, Kirk Cousins, there are a couple more.  The Blues are gonna come in hopefully through the draft process.  Like Frank Gore, we took in the third round back in San Francisco. At first he was a Red. Then all of a sudden, “Boom! Boom! Boom!”   Three years later, he’s a Blue.  Patrick Willis coming in.   Joe Staley- type guys. We have some good football players here and we’ve got a quality roster now.

Kevin Sheehan:  OK.  So you said Trent Williams, DeSean Jackson and Kirk are your Blues. Elite players.

Scot McCloughan:  Well, I’ve got to throw in Josh Norman.

@Skinsinparadise

Even at the time I’d strongly disagree with Jackson as a blue. Maybe an orange, a rank below blue but above red (I made that up), but not blue. I also think he missed Kerrigan as a blue of blue means value to franchise.

Id actually put Garçon higher on the value chart than DJax and I’ve always said that.

I think you have to consider Kirk near blue to the team. If not blue. But I’m not sure I understand what blue is. Maybe if I have time later I’ll put together my own little list. It would be a fun thread anyways

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

... Gruden's job title is head coach, not quarterbacks coach or OC....

Gruden brought his system to DC and besides developing KC to stardom, also has a hand in nurturing McVay into the HC he is.

KC gets the credit for being coachable and dedicated. 

Quest.. What do u think Tom Brady would be if we had drafted him??

50 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I agree with what you're saying except for the bolded part. Cousins has a much bigger impact on each game. We can get another corner but we're going to spend another decade finding a QB. 

And I have no problem with going the Jacksonville route if we lose Cousins. I prefer the full rebuild if that happens. Building a defense like that might require us to be like 4-12 or worse for the next 5-10 years. We'll probably just try to patch the sinking ship and live in the 5-11 to 7-9 range forever though. 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Likewise.

Two things ES and ultimately football fans in general love more than anything:

A. Scrambling

EDIT: I forgot about

There is no particular order but I'm convinced this is the end all, be all list of QB assessment.  Also, nevermind data on these points either.  Selective memory is the most efficient assessment method.

Jay Gruden agrees with you. 

Months of this crap ahead.  Coming here is neurotic.  My worse fear now is the transition tag and a repeat of the present impasse.  Actually hoping now for a clean break and becoming a bandwagon fan to Kirk's chosen quality franchise and enjoying the lovefest and playoffs that will follow. 

2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

I think Memphis QB Riley Ferguson would be a great day 2 pick for us. He's fairly accurate, throws very well on rollouts, and has a long ball in his arsenal.

He'll be on display this weekend in the East-West Shrine game.  Looking forward to seeing how he does...  3:07pm ET Kickoff on NFL network, Saturday the 20th

http://www.shrinegame.com/

Grant Paulsen who I think among media guys is closet to Kirk just goes the following:  he thinks Kirk would take a deal at a discount with a team like Jax if he hits FA.  If he hits FA he means what he says:  he just wins to win.  He'd likely go for something under 25 mill a year for a good organization.

It doesn't paint a great picture of him staying here if he hits the FA market.  In other words, Kirk might be willing to do a deal to help a team build a winner -- that team might not be this one, though because he doesn't have that type of faith in this FO.

If so, my take is if you want to invite a bidding process, I don't see how you don't go transition tag.  If Kirk's drill is to go to a competent-winning franchise, I don't think DC is his top destination. 

Archived