Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chiefs v Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

13 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Yeah I don't see Pryor getting a contract extension as of right now. No need for him at he moment. 

I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but it's looking like he should have stuck with a team like the Browns where his lack of experience could be masked by being the primary playmaker on the team. 

But at the same time, I do have to give him credit for trying to improve his skillset by joining the Skins, even though the results haven't been great thus far. Hopefully he turns it around. 

3 hours ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

Man, the beginning of the game tho...the feels.

Then the injuries and penalties began  :(

As soon as we got the ball to the 2 yard line and couldn't punch it in, and had to settle for a field goal to go up by 10 instead of 14, I just had a feeling... I was hoping it wouldn't come to pass, but I just had that sinking feeling.  A team like the Chiefs, you have to bury them from the start.  We just let them hang around and it bit us in the ass.

52 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Yeah I don't see Pryor getting a contract extension as of right now. No need for him at he moment. 

The unfortunate thing is, if he doesnt turn it around, we're back to having to figure out who's gonna be our #1.  

I was hoping he'd be that stud you could target 8-10 times in a game.  Judging by how Kirk kept targeting him in the Philly game, they thought that too.  He got targeted 11 times in that game, 13 times in the following 3 games combined. 

3 hours ago, Skins I'm In said:

I don't know if this was mentioned, but Smith was also about two yards passed the LOS on that particular pass, as well.  If the refs are gonna miss the clear hold on Allen, then they should've been able to see Smith was passed the LOS.

Why do people keep saying this? The ball was snapped at the 29, Smith threw it from the 26. 

1 hour ago, TheCoach22 said:

Totally disagree. Garçon wanted a pay day beyond his production (and the year before he was straight garbage). DJax is a loss for now, but he won't earn the backside of that contract. We're figuring out who the bread and butter guys are, but two weeks ago Josh couldn't get on the field and didn't have Kirk's trust, now he's giving him a chance to make a play on a 50/50 ball. That's progress. He had to learn to trust Jackson to run under deep balls, it is a process.

We nearly had three 1,000 yard receivers last year, because we distribute the ball all over the place... we might not repeat that this season, but we might have six guys with 700+. If Doctson is one of those guys and Thompson is another, you take that 100 times out of a 100. This franchise has too often held onto guys for too long... I'd rather we be a year early and develop players while competing. That's exactly what we're doing.

That makes sense to me.  It just seems like these receivers are so green and to take away such great talented weapons from Cousins in a contract year at that seems silly to me.  Outside of that I agree with you for the most part.
All in all though I think the Redskins are headed in a positive direction.  The outcome of this game solidifies it to me.  Sure they lost, but they played very well on both sides of the ball.  The defense performed admirably after losing so many players.

9 hours ago, tshile said:

Gruden is an idiot when it comes to time outs. I like him, but the man is clueless on how to use these important tools. It will randomly cost us a game, and it played a major role last night.

This, it's basic stuff I don't understand how head coaches don't get it. What made it worse was we had THREE timeouts. It was inexcusable. Complete panic when we had all the time in the world. I would like Gruden to actually come out and say he made an error on this

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree. And IF they had found a way to keep Garcon or DJax, this year would be even better.  I know why they didn't. Garcon wasn't worth the deal he got, and DJax is a 1 trick pony who you can't commit to long term.  However they took the single greatest strength of the team and made it potentially the biggest weakness.  

WR has to be on the shopping list in the off-season.  Also, keep stocking up on defensive front-7 play-makers.  And get serious at RB.  Kelley is fine.  Perine is fine. They need a RB who's better than fine.  Go find one.  

The number of missing pieces is coming down fast.  The secondary (given health) might be a strength.  They're set at OL, minus LG.  They could use more speed at ILB next to Brown, but Foster is generally good enough.  Front 7 is improved.  TEs are fine.  

Of course, they have to figure out what to do at QB.  If he continues like this, I think you just give him the Stafford deal + 5% and call it a day.  He'll sign it.  

Things are looking better than they have in a while.  And, given health, I really think this team makes the playoffs.  Maybe even wins the division.  The game against Philly is going to be a battle.  

I don't know, man.  I think that we're on a good track with our receivers at the X and the slot.  I doubt Pryor is here next year, and I really like what we have with Doctson.  I know he blew that catch, but the facemask non-call was infuriating and certainly changed my view on the drop.  Quick is non-existent almost literally, but Grant is turning into someone dependable during game day.  I don't think we're as effed at receiver as it may seem right now.

I totally agree with your assessment of the defense.  I don't know if Brown is here next year, so right now I would take ILB in the first.  I've never liked 77, so I'm always up for a change at LG.

I think Kirk is signed LTD after this year.  I think that we're too close to becoming a contender with him to cut him loose and start all over.

A healthy 2017 Redskins makes noise in the playoffs for sure.  A healthy 2018 Redskins could have the 32nd pick in the 2019 draft.

I've been trying to think all day of a single good reason why Mack Brown was not active, and i can't.

Kelly is dinged. Can't rely on him to finish the game, and he got a new injury last night.

Perine hasn't shown that he can do it yet, and looks to me to have a case of the yips. He's over-trying, being a rookie. Thompson is a terrific change of pace back and pass catcher, but given his injury history, i don't want him rushing the ball 20 times, and given the plays called at the start of the game, that is what we looked to me to be planning to do. 30+ runs.. smashmouth, clock control, work the play action.

But then Rob is gone, and Perine can't, and the offense changes..  and frankly, right now our  wide receivers are unreliable, and that is the best descriptor i can use until they show me more. Doc had some nice catches of low passes, and if he'd have held the TD, I'd have a different paragraph to write.

Reed is gimpy, Davis is a threat, but can be easily keyed because Doctson and Pryor aren't threatening anyone. Crowder was taken out of the game by the Chiefs defense. 

we needed a back that can rush, and Mack Brown is a better choice to me than Perine at this stage to be that every-down guy.

I'm not sure why he's doghoused.. preseason fumble? Is he a bad blocker?

Granted, Trent Williams being hurt did not help our cause in running the ball, and probably was why we saw so much of Niles Paul.

Overall, that was my biggest gripe. Mack Brown should have been active..  BUT, seeing the carnage of our players being continually knocked out of the game.. maybe they were right. 

I have not seen any official reports yet, but i hope like hell that the injuries we had will heal over the bye.

~Bang

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

This has been my biggest fear coming into the season and it's why my level of excitement was low in August. I think a lot of that "real run" hinges on having continuity and I'm petrified that guys like Cousins and Brown aren't going to be here. If I knew they'd be locked up to continue on this journey with us, then I'd be pretty bullish on this team right now. Until that becomes evident though, there's an all-or-nothing feel to 2017. 

I don't know why, but I went from this view to a more bullish view for 2018 and beyond.  Something just seems like it's settling into place, like we're getting the dominoes set up, and next year could be the start of a really good run.  I think that bringing back Cousins and Brown are critical.  Pryor is very meh.  I think that we're in the side view mirrors because we're way closer than we appear.

I'd like to see Brian Quick get worked into the mix and possibly take over the Garcon role. They're very similar players in regard to toughness, speed, and route running ability. Garcon has better hands and Quick is bigger.

I just don't trust Pryor to make the clutch catch. The 5 yard slant is a cornerstone of this offense and Pryor has proven throughout the preseason, in the Eagles game, and again last night, that he simply won't take a hit to move the chains.  

What a fun game to watch though, although a win would have made it much sweeter. I really thought Doc had it for a second ugh. I liked how Dunbar got called up and played pretty well, glad to see Moreau get some snaps also. After Kelce was flexing on the first down he got and almost got a penalty I was annoyed by him and his antics, nothing was better to see Norman destroy him on the next play. That was just utter enjoyment. Breeland with a big hit on the following play. I'm sure this has been discussed but what is up with Reed and Crowder? Are they both still playing hurt? Those are our best wideouts and they are not on the field enough IMO. Reed is a huge factor when he is out there, but I guess can't get too mad about it Vernon is balling out. 

Definitely a fun game to watch, toe to toe with one of the best teams in the league. Too many times the Redskins have been run out of the stadium against a team like this, especially on national TV.

Definitely encouraged by the potential this team brings.

~Bang

12 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

What a fun game to watch though, although a win would have made it much sweeter. I really thought Doc had it for a second ugh. I liked how Dunbar got called up and played pretty well, glad to see Moreau get some snaps also. After Kelce was flexing on the first down he got and almost got a penalty I was annoyed by him and his antics, nothing was better to see Norman destroy him on the next play. That was just utter enjoyment. Breeland with a big hit on the following play. I'm sure this has been discussed but what is up with Reed and Crowder? Are they both still playing hurt? Those are our best wideouts and they are not on the field enough IMO. Reed is a huge factor when he is out there, but I guess can't get too mad about it Vernon is balling out. 

Crowder really been missing so far this season overall, that said we didn't have a tone of snaps last night overall.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah if Redskins fans are going to go overboard on these other calls then they sure would be flipping out had that been a KC receiver on Josh Norman.

I just think all this blame on the officials is loser talk.  Every fan of every team that lost this weekend has their own list of bad calls against their team. Sure it was frustrating that so many came after defensive stops but that does not mean they were wrong calls. 

I look at it like this.  EVERY team get home cooked calls when they play in their own stadium.  I think that the refs had two ify calls against us last night.  Other than that, I feel they called a good game.

There was offensive linemen holding on both sides of the ball from my observation.  Ive seen holding when Kirk rolled out and I seen holding when Smith rolled out.  But I personally didnt see enough flags against us to say the refs cheated us out of a opportunity to win the game.  We doomed ourselves with sloppy football at the worst times.

If Doctson would have pulled that pass down in the endzone and we held on for the win, who would be talking about the refs?  The Chiefs fans....  because of the uncalled Pryor push off TD and the Kelce mauling across the middle.  Thats just the nature of sports and fanhood.

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, that's odd that anyone thinks that. It's also a very easy thing to review and the game would have been stopped if it was even close. 

People brought it up in the game thread, then after the game, Brian Mitchell even mentioned it and now here. I'm not trying to be a smart ass (for once), I just don't get what I'm missing.

I can't get the NFL highlight of that play to load, but the play is at about the 7:20 mark of this package:

I think Crowder's disappearance is a function of Garcon and Jackson's exit. Defenses don't pay the same respect to Pryor and Doctson.

As an example, on that deep TD to Pryor, the safety stayed on Crowder instead of rolling to Pryor. I don't think Crowder has suddenly forgotten how to play.

46 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I think Crowder's disappearance is a function of Garcon and Jackson's exit. Defenses don't pay the same respect to Pryor and Doctson.

As an example, on that deep TD to Pryor, the safety stayed on Crowder instead of rolling to Pryor. I don't think Crowder has suddenly forgotten how to play.

He hasn't forgotten how to play, I think people may have set too high an expectation on him.  I would tend to agree the focus of defenses are on him, but we saw these lackluster stats last year in the last 5 games.  Maybe he was ailing then, perhaps Garcon and DJax were clamoring for targets. Who knows. But the waterbug mold he is cut from should be largely unstoppable on quick choice routes.

What happened to moving him to #2. Is that happening? I hardly notice him enough to know for sure. Some were excited to see him tried full time out wide, but it doesn't appear to have ever materialized. I wanted him in the slot.

I suspect what may be happening is Jay is managing his targets based on injuries, IIRC he was injured in camp, before game 1, and before game 4.

One thing I'm sick of hearing (and it actually hurts) is how "tough" a stadium Arrowhead is to play at. I can remember when our home field advantage was spoken of in awe around the league. Is Arrowhead one of the last stadiums NOT to get a corporate name? Seems like that's usually the death knell of homefield advantage. "Arrowhead Stadium" just sounds so much cooler than "FedEx" or "M&T Bank." 

Ah, the good old days. 

Everyone wants someone or something to blame when you come up short against a good team. In the end, they wore us down. I don't put blame on any one particular thing, as a whole we didn't do enough to win the game, Despite the serious home cooking that was clear and is expected on the road.

Even with All the injuries we had and in-game foul ups, dropped passes, penalties, play calls, and timeouts we clearly fought our hearts out in their house and probably should have won, but we didn't. 

Im encouraged about our team especially the arrival of our defense, wow lasts nights performance was pretty dang good, we just wore out.

We are night and day from these past few years, and whatever our coaches are selling, I'm buying it and I think our players are too.

Offensively, we weren't perfect but again I'm encouraged about how Kirk played, the Oline and overall Gruden's plan on getting us a W.

Outside of letting a few more seconds tick, I absolutely love that Gruden went for the win with that pass to Doctson. He went for the jugular, and should have been rewarded for his risk but the youngster couldn't get it done. No shame in the effort, he'll have more opportunities.

Speaking of opportunities, If I'm Jay I think we should make Doctson our number one receiver over these next two weeks. Feed him the ball. Let Pryor play the number 2. Have him playing 85% of the offensive snaps and feed him the ball, within the offense. Enough of this weening him in or tough love stuff, if thats what's happening. The guy is clearly imo the most talented of our receivers. I'm not buying he doesn't know the offense back and front, or that he can't run certain routes. That catch he made early in the game on third down, was everything I needed to see. 

Allen and Ioannidis were ferocious and are the main reason our D-line looks so different, Mcgee and Maclain to a lesser extent. 

Biggest need on the offensive side of the ball right now is a quality 1st and 2nd down running back. Kelley is good but can’t stay healthy - which is problem with his physical running style (or maybe a factor of that style).

Perine is a rookie and he may come around but so far not so good. Hard to trust him at the moment.

I’d expect us to be looking for a number 1 back next offseason.

On defense we need people to get healthy. Bye week is at a good time.

6 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I don't know why, but I went from this view to a more bullish view for 2018 and beyond.  Something just seems like it's settling into place, like we're getting the dominoes set up, and next year could be the start of a really good run.  I think that bringing back Cousins and Brown are critical.  Pryor is very meh.  I think that we're in the side view mirrors because we're way closer than we appear.

I'm pretty much with you.  Two other guys I'd strongly consider bringing back are Breeland and Galette. The good news is that we have some depth there, so we could weather their loss I think.  Two guys beyond those are Foster and Murphy.  Letting Breeland walk might be the smartest move because I think he's gonna command the biggest salary by far, and we seem to have the most depth there.  

Not too much in the way of FAs in 2019, except Preson Smith (and the cap should go up).  FYI, we're estimated at 50k of cap space this year and 62 the following year.  Doesn't include Cousins and cuts of course.  

One of the big factors to me (in terms of the future) is how well many of our young guys are playing.  Allen, Ioannidas, Nicholson, Anderson, Fuller...

Even some of the guys that haven't really contributed looked pretty good in TC - Roullier, Holsey, Moreau, JHC...

Too early to look ahead, but yeah, I'm liking the trend.

Side note (it's a weird one, but maybe more apt to the thread, lol):  why is it called a moral victory?  Shouldn't it be a morale victory?  Moral victory makes it sound like we lost but did so because it was the  'right' thing to do... i.e. not cheating, letting another team win because they underwent a trauma... or something.  I should probably look up the origin... or something.  

Edit - @MartinCA good back, a LG (though Kalis and Roullier showed some promise) and a receiver are penciled in on my wish list.  

Archived