Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chiefs v Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

It was about as good of a game the Skins could have played given the circumstances. On the road, prime time, against one of, if not, the best teams in the league. It was a nail biter despite losing almost half our team to injury. We have depth, that is clear. I just hope Norman heals quickly because he is clearly a crucial part to our attitude. While we did shoot ourselves in the foot a few times, it'd be nice not to get screwed by the refs as many times as we did. 

All in all, we have a super athletic team that is still hitting its stride, so if we can continue to put pieces together, the sky is the limit. 

Get out of here with all this negativity, it's such a bad look. We were supposed to get absolutely embarrassed on primetime the last two weeks, but instead we put up two impressive performances and proved to be a legit playoff contender (you're lying if you predicted this in the pre-season). Still, we have so many here who keep raising the bar and need to find something to cry about. The league now knows that this team is for real. In this game we overcame a record-setting amount of injuries, ref hate, dropped balls, a bad timeout, dumb fumbles, terrible ToP, and still had a real shot to win against the #1 team in the loudest stadium in the league. Sure we all wish we won, but take a step back and realize that this team is really good, much better than we thought it'd be. Enjoy the fact that this team is real right now because in a few months it'll be back to the "Cousins contract circus" and "Snyder's the worst owner talk." 

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Nothing like a little home cooking in Prime Time. :)

I was thinking that, especially since the refs in the 4th could have called holding on almost all their running plays, including Smith scrambling.  The worse however is the hold on Doctson before he dropped that TD pass at about the 10 yard line.  If not for that grab on his shoulder he is passed the defender and 3 yards wide open in the endzone. Now having said that I thought also Pryor may have gotten away with a slight push on the 1st TD of the game.  But no question the Chiefs got away with a lot yesterday.

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

But nobody is mentioning the very clear push off by Pryor.  I really didn't see a lot of bad calls against us, that's loser talk.  Did any cost of those missed calls cost us 7 points the way the Pryer call screwed the Chiefs?   

read my post DG....above.

My two cents.

The defensive penalties and maybe even injuries come from having an aggressive in your face D. We can't have it both ways but we need better discipline in some of those third down situations, clearly. I thought the main difference in the games were penalties. That is my favorite crew in the league, oldskool and I don't really think they got much wrong. Preston's NI at the 1 was borderline but he shouldn't have given them that 50/50 call. I think us not stamping on throat after the Reed first down early was huge. I think them getting the TD off Smith's penalty was huge. Leaving time on the clock was huge. Fix anyone of those three things and I think we win the game and that's why it hurts. Still this team will be playing meaningful football in December, surely? Give KC credit, did they make adjustments to keep Smith clean later in the game or did we just run out of gas and players. Smith really plays mistake free football, that has not been enough to win playoff games previously but this year could be different with their backs and Kelce playing a high standard. Denver and KC are the clear top seeds in the AFC.

Josh Doctson though, give the kid a break! He needs to make that catch but his athleticism was the reason he had the chance to make it. Cooley is saying Kirk should have gone to Reed but when he did come back to Josh that's a great throw. Josh also made two great catches. I like him.

Watch out Philly, watch out.

6 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

The play of Smith probably did more to negate our dline than what KC’s oline did. I think his ability to make plays with his feet wore the DL down.That and the fact they were on the field way too much.I don’t believe the Chiefs were any more battered than the Skins coming in and certainly not near as wounded as the Redskins were by the end of the game. 

The Chiefs had two backup linemen starting when the game started and lost another starting linemen early in the game.  We should have capitalized on that well before we started losing our own players.  Our injury bug didnt fly in until late in the second quarter.

I know very well I wouldn't want the Skins to play a game with three backup offensive linemen.  We wouldn't be where we are at right now.  I am so happy that the bye week came when it did so we can heal up real good hopefully.

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Did any of those missed calls cost us 7 points the way the Pryor call screwed the Chiefs? 

I think the "offsides" call gave them +4 at least.. That overhead replay they showed was pretty definitive. (and it seemed like they waited to see the pass go incomplete before throwing the flag)

Hands to the face was another iffy call, imo. Away from the play, no helmet movement, etc. But in the spirit, I guess it was correct? Picking up a personal foul flag? I dunno, down the stretch it just had the aroma of "better team gets the calls, with a side of home cooking" to me.

Just now, GoDeep81 said:

I think the "offsides" call gave them +4 at least.. That overhead replay they showed was pretty definitive. (and it seemed like they waited to see the pass go incomplete before throwing the flag)

Hands to the face was another iffy call, imo. Away from the play, no helmet movement, etc. But in the spirit, I guess it was correct? Picking up a personal foul flag? I dunno, down the stretch it just had the aroma of "better team gets the calls, with a side of home cooking" to me.

I thought the biggest blown call was a hold or hands to the face on the Smith scramble at the end. If they call the rest of the game tight they should call that but I am not blaming the refs, we had the plays to win it.

11 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

KC is a very good team, very good.  Like others in the game thread, I think we missed Garcon. I appreciate the effort the team played hard.  If Doctson secures that ball the Skins probably win the game.

I agree about Garcon. One play in particular made me miss him. Pryor used alligator arms and dropped a catch-able ball on a route over the middle into traffic. It would have been a first down and the kind of catch Garcon would have made.  

A couple of surprising stats from the game.

We had the ball for 10:47 in the 1st quarter, but only 12:04 for the rest of the game. It's no wonder that the d-line looked gassed at the end.

1st 10:47

2nd  4:18

3rd  1:39

4th  6:07

Tot 22:51

We gained 6.6 yards per offensive play, compared to 6.0 for the Chiefs. But only ran 50 plays, compared to 72 for the Chiefs.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't really have a problem with the officiating last night. All the penalties seemed legit. Just gotta play with more discipline.

It was just that the Chiefs got quite a few "ticky tack" calls and we got zero.

-Preston Smith offside on the goalline. He really didn't appear to be offside and the flag came out way late. Would have resulted in 4th down.

-Breeland hands to the face on 3rd down resulting in 1st down. Would have resulted in 4th down. 

-Breeland illegal contact on 3rd down resulting in 1st down. Would have resulted in 4th down. We got no replay, but everyone was PO'd.

-The personal foul on Kelce. Flag picked up.

-No call on the obvious hold on Jon Allen during the Alex Smith scramble.

The fact that there were so many penalties against us that were on 3rd down, which either resulted in a 1st down or another chance just felt unfair. Couple that with the fact that we got zero of those calls and we're left with a bit of a one-sided flavor.

All that being said, the refs aren't the reason we lost and no one's blaming it on them.

Have to say... this one hurt... not because we lost, but because we beat ourselves.

Offense looked a little shaky to start. That pass TD to TP was a beauty... Pryor did get away with a little shove there... Overall the O looked good. Nice clean pocket, strong running.

D was frustrating. I mean, its obvious they have a hard hitting swagger, and I LOVE IT.. but it seems when opportunity knocks, they dont answer. Tackling is still a bit of an issue, and I feel they need to have more strip drills. They stopped Hunt stone cold on more than one occasion,,, when he is stood up like that, strip the ball!!! Another head scratcher was that the Skins seemed to have a worse pass rush once their starting tackle went down.

Lastrly... I do feel we were reffed a little. The self inflicted wounds were there, but I saw pretty blatant, uncalled holding against the skins on several of Smith's scrambles...

Overall though, I am please that we were "this close" to beating the best team in the league. Hopefully injuries are all minor. The bye week could not come at a better time.

2 hours ago, scstand said:

Didn't like the TO but they had a great play called coming out of that. Doctson beat his man and was open and Kirk dropped a dime wasn't a 50/50 there. Reed had his man beat deep as well on the stutter go. CT was also open over the middle with check down that would have picked up the FD.

It's not about the play though.  As soon as Jay called the TO without letting the clock run down further, I thought it could come back to bite us (actually a bit surprised KC didn't call a TO, but I can see the logic).  Run the clock down a bit, call the TO, and you have one left to attack the middle of the field.  Then you've got some chances to throw the the endzone with the field goal option in your back pocket.  Loved the throw and I didn't mind the aggressiveness, but not milking the clock a bit more was risky, and it hurt us.  

The slant to Pryor - the ball hit both hands...  why is it being called an alligator arms situation?

The clock management is a glaring mistake. Once the Cousins 15 yard scramble set us up at first-and-10 from the KC 30 at the two-minute warning, there's really no reason that we shouldn't have ended the game by either kicking a FG with no time left or scoring a TD in the final 25 seconds. 

The Detroit game last year was similar but that was more circumstantial. I don't think we called a Cousins zone read from the 20 expecting him to score a TD. But, even though the Lions game was more unfortunate than it was a mistake, it should have taught this staff a valuable lesson. Coaches need to understand win probabilities and the rushed timeout with 57 seconds left after the second-and-two run was inexcusable. 

I LOVE Gruden as our coach, but he either needs to study these situations or hire a guy to manage the clock. 

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

It sucks knowing that if we kept Garcon and Jackson, we're probably 3-1, maybe even 4-0 right now.

Our WRs went from strength to significant weakness. I mean Ryan Grant is our best WR right now. WTF has happened to Crowder?

Crowder is a good slot guy, who is effective when the number 1 and 2 receivers are effective serious threats.

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

It sucks knowing that if we kept Garcon and Jackson, we're probably 3-1, maybe even 4-0 right now.

Our WRs went from strength to significant weakness. I mean Ryan Grant is our best WR right now. WTF has happened to Crowder?

No doubt we'd be more dynamic and efficient on offense. But would we have been able to pay those guys and bring in Swearinger/Brown to transform the D? I feel like we have a shot in every game this year because the D can stand up to most teams. 

Can we talk clock management? We continue to struggle with this.  Yes - We all know the TO with 58 seconds left was stupid. and it was.  But that wasn't the only mis management last night.

How about with 1:20ish left in the half.  Skins had a 3rd and 4 I think.  Up by 3... Skins RUSH to the ball, no huddle, hurry up, and throw a incomplete pass.  Chiefs get the ball, drive down, and miss a FG. So no harm...

But why were we rushing?  We had PLENTY of time and it was a big 3rd down. Convert it and we might get 3...at very least control the clock.

Id say EVERY week there is clock mismanagement. Often it doesn't hurt us or doesn't matter - but doesn't mean we shouldn't fix it.  

53 minutes ago, CTskin said:

It was just that the Chiefs got quite a few "ticky tack" calls and we got zero.

-Preston Smith offside on the goalline. He really didn't appear to be offside and the flag came out way late. Would have resulted in 4th down.

-Breeland hands to the face on 3rd down resulting in 1st down. Would have resulted in 4th down. 

-Breeland illegal contact on 3rd down resulting in 1st down. Would have resulted in 4th down. We got no replay, but everyone was PO'd.

-The personal foul on Kelce. Flag picked up.

-No call on the obvious hold on Jon Allen during the Alex Smith scramble.

The fact that there were so many penalties against us that were on 3rd down, which either resulted in a 1st down or another chance just felt unfair. Couple that with the fact that we got zero of those calls and we're left with a bit of a one-sided flavor.

All that being said, the refs aren't the reason we lost and no one's blaming it on them.

What about the obvious push off by Pryor on his TD?  That call was worth 7 points.

10 hours ago, Panninho said:

Even if the perspective is not 100% correct and his head might be a little further than his shoes I have almost never seen something like this getting called. And then they start when the other team has 4th and 1 at our goal line.

test0rsk9.png

Thanks for showing this....The refs did us no favors last night. That's the NFL for you....Hard to believe KC had three backups in on their o-line and never once got called for holding against our pass rush. Even John Gruden was biting his tongue at times with some of the calls. 

I think that when we look at the college players, we ask them how they handle pain and look at that before we draft them. 

Doctson has an abhorrence of pain. If he had kept two hands on the ball and just fallen and taken some lumps, we win the game. He tried to break his fall and lessen his pain, protect his body. 

We need players that can play through some pain.

Archived