Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chiefs v Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

EVERY team feels like they should have one or two more wins, except for maybe the Browns. Welcome to the NFL. Games are often close.

Has nothing to do with close games has to do with how you lose those games. 

Washington beat themselves tonight once again 

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Uhh...yeah they are. Not a LOT better, but the difference is pretty small in today's NFL.

Smith and Breeland gave them most of their points=not better.

I remember a game a few years ago where the refs gave us call after call and the Rams really were beating themselves with the refs help. We won by like 2-3 points. I didn't think we were the better team after that one despite the final score.

I'll give the offense a b-. No one was great but no one was awful. Everyone made mistakes. Cousins made some great plays and also made some untimely poor throws. Run game was mediocre and the receivers were good and bad. The line held so I'm guessing the receivers had separation issues as Kirk did scan the field a lot but took off running. Using Perine to run outside and CT inside on key plays were head scratchers.

defense I'll give a B+. A lot of injuries in that secondary. DL had no choice but to blitz more than im sure they wanted to help the inexperienced secondary out but that's when Kareem starting carving them up right up the gut. Our depth is good but when you have Mclure out there in key moments you know you're in trouble.

Coaching was a C for me. The play calling in the redzone when up 7-0 really chnged the momentum of the game. 14-0 vs 10-0 is massive. Either we have more serious injury concerns with Crowder and Reed or we just abandoned key weapons.

Refs were awful. I'm never one to blame refs for a win or a loss and I won't here, but I didn't like the way they called the game. That Preston Smith offside in particular as well as the blatant non hold on jonathan Allen on that late long pass to Albert Wilson really hurt.

19 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Coaching - F  I am so ticked at Gruden right now one of the dumbest errors (if not the dumbest) I've ever seen by a head coach lost the game.

@LaxBuddy21 The time out on 3rd and 2. That could only benefit the Chiefs. I was screaming at the screen the minute he did that- an unbelievably stupid decision on Grudens' part. If he hadn't done that there were only two outcomes over the last minute of the game  - a Redskins win or overtime (assuming the field goal is made) .

2 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I don't do moral victories.  This sucks.

Same. We let two winnable games slip away from us and ultimately we are what we are: a .500 team, and an injured one at that. I'm not interested in hearing about how much we're improved or how tough we are when we're still finding ways to lose games that we largely controlled. 

My assessment is that Jay and Josh Doctson ****ed up. In games this close, it comes own to individual execution at key moments and it wasn't there when it needed to be. Is it ever for this franchise?

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Samaje perines two fumbles on less than 25 carries for me is very concerning hopefully he doesn't have matt jones syndrome but we can't trust him currently

I'm watching Redskins post game and theyre saying Mack Brown deserves a shot, and I agree.

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Also Pryor needs Robbie re-classified from a WR to just an athlete.

he has ZERO ability as a receiver. Zero instincts. 

Those alligator arms on 3rd and 5 early in the game killed us that was a sure first down Garçon makes that catch 

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Practice and run the right routes

I thought he did practice.

Wasn't aware he was running wrong routes, if so, never mind. You'd think he'd know the offense being in it for 4 years and excelling. Interesting if he's regressed with knowledge of playbook :/

1. We lost to the better team.

2. No moral victories

With that said, ****ing impressed with this team. The bye comes at a good time. Reed, Trent, Norman etc all need to time to heal.

3. Whenever Kirk is backpedaling, he almost never makes a good throw. I wish he would stop that.

4. On some of our 3rd and short, we need to run quicker plays like slants instead of plays that take several seconds requiring the WR to come back to the ball.

5. The defense is legit. Can change week to week but every team we’ve played we have given them a hard time more than any of the other teams they played.

6. Tough play but Doctson but guy has ups. More reps will help with the drops.

7. We look like a ****inmg NFL team. God that’s all I ever wanted. Baby steps.

I don't want to see Perrine again for awhile. He's not ready for prime time. The lack of a running game is going to be a big issue if we

dont get it solved. Thought our play calling lacked some creativity today but it was a glos

effort against a very good team. 

1 minute ago, skins4eva said:

I don't want to see Perrine again for awhile. He's not ready for prime time. The lack of a running game is going to be a big issue if we

dont get it solved. Thought our play calling lacked some creativity today but it was a glos

effort against a very good team. 

I hear ya on Perine....Mack brown. 

15 minutes ago, tonyro said:

I don't know about y'all but  I wanna see Mack Brown get a chance. He has the quickness and burst that Kelly and Perine both lack.

I think we Kelly banged up again, we will see a lot of Mack Brown in our next game.  And I think he will keep the job.

The only way to sum up this game is with one word, damn

Offense -

Quarterback - extremely proud of Kirk Cousins, definitely showed a step and delivered some beautiful throws

Wide Receiver - nice catch by Pryor on first TD, but then when you think he is getting it decides to alligator arm a critical slant - sure would have been nice to see Doctson come down with that - what is going on with Crowder???  

Running Back - Perine was looking a little more comfortable running the ball, but then has the terrible drop of the pitch that ruined a drive

Tight End - Vernon is a stud

Defense -

Hut, Hut, HUT - oh Preston Smith just jumped offside again

got to get off the field on 3rd down

had a few killer penalties that gave the Chiefs the points they needed

Coaching - 

Terrible, terrible, terrible mistake by Jay calling the timeout on 3rd and 2...if you want the timeout, let the clock run down first - however, overall i'm happy with Jay this season

Overall -

Definitely feeling a lot of promise for the season, and who could have asked for more after how we looked overall in week 1

Hail

Kansas City is probably the best team in the NFL this year, and I'm proud to see us hang with them in Arrowhead.  Losing Norman is the worst part about this.  I don't know how we cope with his absence, and I'm just hoping he'll be back sooner than expected.

Some thoughts:

Frustrated to see ours pass catchers are still struggling to make the play.  They have way too much talent to be this inconsistent.  Kirk has rounded into form, we need the WRs and TEs to join him.

Also frustrated with Perine.  It feels like the moment is too big for him right now and that he's not ready.

And I'm also frustrated by the lack of touches and targets for Crowder and Thompson.  With the other WRs struggling, we need to be leaning on these guys.  Chris Thompson has been so good that you have to feature him in your game plan.

Kerrigan, Smith, and Galette were awful.  Kerrigan and Smith just couldn't keep up tonight, they didn't have it.  They're probowl caliber players, we need them to do their thing or else the defense doesn't really work.

Zach Brown continues to be a stud.  He's a must-sign this offseason.

The run defense was really good tonight until injuries gutted it late in the third quarter.  KC has the most dynamic rushing offense in the league, making them work for their yards like we did was impressive.  A healthy secondary means we could have continued setting the physical tone of the game and then Kareem Hunt probably never finds a rhythm.  They still did a good job despite the injuries too.

What a frustrating way to lose.

But overall I liked the performance. Obviously, there were some things that should have been better but that was an away game at one of the hardest places to play and we nearly got out with a W even though at the end I feared we might have to play Tress Way at safety/corner.

Doctson has to come down with that catch, there is no excuse for that. But man, I'm glad he is showing some life. Had two tough/good catches before and the big play ability that this guy has is just evident. Still young and basically a rookie, so mistakes happen but the way he goes up and stands in the air is amazing to me. But he has to improve on those drops. I hope he gets it done, because he can be an asset to this offense if he keeps improving.

I think Cousins and the O-line played great today. Would like to see some more from Crowder and Reed.

Archived