Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chiefs v Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I think that when we look at the college players, we ask them how they handle pain and look at that before we draft them. 

Doctson has an abhorrence of pain. If he had kept two hands on the ball and just fallen and taken some lumps, we win the game. He tried to break his fall and lessen his pain, protect his body. 

We need players that can play through some pain.

I have to admit I thought the same thing once I saw what he did. Take the hit and make the catch. 

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

What about the obvious push off by Pryor on his TD?  That call was worth 7 points.

That's part of the issue though. Sometimes, they let things like that go. Other times, they didn't. But when they didn't, it was consistently against us in critical spots. I just want an evenly called game. Let things go or don't but do it consistently for both teams and throughout game. I don't think that's a lot to ask. 

12 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

As far as moral victories go, I'll take it. There is no doubt we're going in the right direction, it's obvious to the naked eye. This is going to be a fun year!

I agree with you however I do have to say that the WR's are struggling BIG TIME.  The biggest weapons so far have been the TE's and Thompson.  Pryor is not as capable as Garcon or Jackson.  He's a very green WR with a ton of upside and talent.  Crowder is good but best in the slot.  Dotcson is pretty much 50/50.  He's got tremendous talent and upside but apparently can't find the field.  Grant has been a pleasant surprise.  Anyway, where I am going with this is the front office should have kept either Garcon or Jackson.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I really didn't see a lot of bad calls against us, that's loser talk.  Did any of those missed calls cost us 7 points the way the Pryor call screwed the Chiefs?   The "hold" on Doc is not really as obvious.

I would say nearly every scramble play in the 2nd half by Smtih, there was pretty obvious holding on our D line that went uncalled. Most of those would have put them in 3rd, or 4th and long.

The more I think about this game, the happier I am about the future.  Despite all the stupid ass penalties (Preston, dude, learn the effing rules) and the injuries, we were STILL in it until the end.  Doctson should've caught it, but he didn't.  I'm not okay with it, but the fact that he made the adjustment to even be able to drop the ball is incredible.

I think we've got something good going here.  If not 2017, then 2018 could be a real run.

5 minutes ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

I agree with you however I do have to say that the WR's are struggling BIG TIME.  The biggest weapons so far have been the TE's and Thompson.  Pryor is not as capable as Garcon or Jackson.  He's a very green WR with a ton of upside and talent.  Crowder is good but best in the slot.  Dotcson is pretty much 50/50.  He's got tremendous talent and upside but apparently can't find the field.  Grant has been a pleasant surprise.  Anyway, where I am going with this is the front office should have kept either Garcon or Jackson.

I'll pile on to this and say it. Where the hell has crowder been? He's our best receiver and Kirk is comfortable with him and he's been nonexistent. We need to get him more involved. 

54 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

UGH just rewatched the end. Basic clock management. If you want to get the right play in take the time out at 32 seconds!! Why don't we understand that with 3 timeouts we have so much time down there

Agree. Though I feel they should have run the hurry up. I felt the Chiefs D was gassed, and reeling, and giving them the 2 minute, plus a TO let them get a little rested.

This was a team loss.  From ridiculous penalties at the wrong time, to poor clock management, to dropped passes.  The offense let the defense on the field way too long, especially with the injuries to the secondary.  We could have won.  Hopefully, the injuries will be healed in 2 weeks and the team can all learn from this almost win.

8 minutes ago, Passizle said:

I would say nearly every scramble play in the 2nd half by Smtih, there was pretty obvious holding on our D line that went uncalled. Most of those would have put them in 3rd, or 4th and long.

Particularly, the last scramble and pass by Smith (which, basically put the Chiefs in FG range for the game winner).  Jonathan Allen was clearly held!  He had beaten his man, but was grabbed around the neck.  I don't know if this was mentioned, but Smith was also about two yards passed the LOS on that particular pass, as well.  If the refs are gonna miss the clear hold on Allen, then they should've been able to see Smith was passed the LOS.

By the way, on the BS neutral zone infraction call on Preston Smith (he wasn't hardly in the neutral zone), the Chiefs had an uncovered tackle (after their motioning of players).  That would be an illegal formation.  So, while screwing us on Smith being in the neutral zone, the refs also clearly missed an illegal formation on the Chiefs.

There were several plays where Ziggy Hood was a good half yard off the line of scrimmage on the snap.  Then the play would be a run play and the center would just fire off with a head of steam into his grill.  Suffice it to say, Hood was a non-factor on those plays.

Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first:

Jay completely botched the end of the game clock management, and it cost the team a chance to win the game.  If you take the TO at 50 seconds, you do so knowing that you're calling 2 plays and going for it on 4th down.  You make that the hill you're going to live or die on, and go with it.  Because if you miss and kick the FG, you put your exhausted and beat up defense back on the field to protect less than 50 yards for a game winning FG.  Just wasn't going to happen.  

Options include: 

1. Take the TO, go for the win on 3rd and 4th down.  

2. Let the clock run to 30 seconds, run a play, if you don't make it, kick a FG. Most likely you'll get to OT.

Other "ick."

- The defensive penalties

- Doctson drop

- Injuries

- inability to get off the field on 3rd down

Ok, now that's out of the way...

I thought the team fought really hard,and played a really good game in a tough place against a really good team.  Both the Chiefs and Redskins are good teams.  Let that sink in.  They're BOTH good teams.  And even with the "ick" from above, they had the game LITERALLY in hand.  Now, even if Doctson had caught the ball, there's no guarantee that the Chiefs down't don't go down and score a TD.  But I like the chances there better.  

I came away from the game with the thought that the 'Skins can play with anybody, and beat anybody, in any stadium. Let that sink in.  I don't know who's better than KC. Atlanta lost.  NE Lost.  Dallas lost.   Seattle played a JV team and beat them up in the second half.  Is GB better?  Maybe?  There's a lot of "eh" in the NFL right now, and KC is the best of the bunch right now.  And even not playing our best game, we had every chance of winning that game.  

The defense played really hard, and had some tough moments. But for all intents and purposes, they limited KC to 23 points.They were also without their best player (Norman) for much of the game, Foster and Swearinger were playing hurt, and about every other player left with some injury.  That's a good effort.  Last year's defense gives up a 50 burger in the same scenario.  Easily.  

The offense made some big plays.  Didn't have a lot of opportunities.  Ran the ball ok at times.  Hit a few big plays.  Kinda went away for a bit, but they only had 2 snaps in the 3rd quarter. One of which they scored a TD on.  

There's a lot to clean up.  Pryor and Doctson HAVE to get better.  They need to run the ball better on offense.  I'm going to now strongly advocate that they go out and find another Veteran back to bring into the mix.  They won't, but I think that if they're going to be a balanced team, and even a run-first team at times, they need better RBs.  

Andy Reid might be the best coach in the NFL not named Bill Bellichick.  Maybe not from a clock management perspective, but his teams WIN.  I really hope that he gets a SB. (Unless he's playing the 'Skins).  

A note on Doctson.  I have this sneaky suspicion he's about to turn it around. He caught a couple balls, was in the offensive plans, and ALMOST had a career defining catch.  They've got to get him the ball more often, and he'll start making more of those plays.  Even though he dropped the big one, you can see the talent. I know a lot of folks are down on him, but I'm hoping he can stay healthy, and if he can, I think he can actually be the #1 receiver on this team towards the end of the year.  Just has to keep getting reps, catches and experience.   This was really like his 3rd actual game.  So, I'm going to cut him a break as long as he's available.  

Even in the loss, and with the "ick" above, I came away very positive on the team.  The team is moving in the right direction.  The coaching staff is better, the players are better (with the notable exception of WR) and the team is more prepared.

I'm not a huge Gruden fan, but overall, I think he's done a pretty good job with this team.  So I give him kudos for that. Even with the poor clock management.   

1 hour ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

That's part of the issue though. Sometimes, they let things like that go. Other times, they didn't. But when they didn't, it was consistently against us in critical spots. I just want an evenly called game. Let things go or don't but do it consistently for both teams and throughout game. I don't think that's a lot to ask. 

So catching  a long TD pass was not a critical spot? 

I don't know if any of the calls against the Redskins were bad calls.  Just because they came at big moments like third down does not mean the call was wrong.  I've seen the overhead on Preston Smith, I also saw where he got off the ball earlier than anyone else, so that tells me he may very well have jumped.  The others weren't clear bad calls or we never saw what they called. 

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

The more I think about this game, the happier I am about the future.  Despite all the stupid ass penalties (Preston, dude, learn the effing rules) and the injuries, we were STILL in it until the end.  Doctson should've caught it, but he didn't.  I'm not okay with it, but the fact that he made the adjustment to even be able to drop the ball is incredible.

I think we've got something good going here.  If not 2017, then 2018 could be a real run.

I agree. And IF they had found a way to keep Garcon or DJax, this year would be even better.  I know why they didn't. Garcon wasn't worth the deal he got, and DJax is a 1 trick pony who you can't commit to long term.  However they took the single greatest strength of the team and made it potentially the biggest weakness.  

WR has to be on the shopping list in the off-season.  Also, keep stocking up on defensive front-7 play-makers.  And get serious at RB.  Kelley is fine.  Perine is fine. They need a RB who's better than fine.  Go find one.  

The number of missing pieces is coming down fast.  The secondary (given health) might be a strength.  They're set at OL, minus LG.  They could use more speed at ILB next to Brown, but Foster is generally good enough.  Front 7 is improved.  TEs are fine.  

Of course, they have to figure out what to do at QB.  If he continues like this, I think you just give him the Stafford deal + 5% and call it a day.  He'll sign it.  

Things are looking better than they have in a while.  And, given health, I really think this team makes the playoffs.  Maybe even wins the division.  The game against Philly is going to be a battle.  

1 hour ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

Just want to point out the MNF crew's expert (former official) said it wasn't enough contact/extension to be called. I'm sure KC fans disagree, but it truly was a matter of a WR still learning to be subtle on that more than an egregious penalty.

4 minutes ago, TheCoach22 said:

Just want to point out the MNF crew's expert (former official) said it wasn't enough contact/extension to be called. I'm sure KC fans disagree, but it truly was a matter of a WR still learning to be subtle on that more than an egregious penalty.

Yeah if Redskins fans are going to go overboard on these other calls then they sure would be flipping out had that been a KC receiver on Josh Norman.

I just think all this blame on the officials is loser talk.  Every fan of every team that lost this weekend has their own list of bad calls against their team. Sure it was frustrating that so many came after defensive stops but that does not mean they were wrong calls. 

3 hours ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

The Chiefs had two backup linemen starting when the game started and lost another starting linemen early in the game.  We should have capitalized on that well before we started losing our own players.  Our injury bug didnt fly in until late in the second quarter.

Redskins got very good pressure in the first quarter including two sacks,if I’m not mistaken.Redskins had 7-9 players(that played)that were on the questionable list leading up to the game and it caught up with them. Either way both teams were banged up and it was a very physical game.

1 hour ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

Totally disagree. Garçon wanted a pay day beyond his production (and the year before he was straight garbage). DJax is a loss for now, but he won't earn the backside of that contract. We're figuring out who the bread and butter guys are, but two weeks ago Josh couldn't get on the field and didn't have Kirk's trust, now he's giving him a chance to make a play on a 50/50 ball. That's progress. He had to learn to trust Jackson to run under deep balls, it is a process.

We nearly had three 1,000 yard receivers last year, because we distribute the ball all over the place... we might not repeat that this season, but we might have six guys with 700+. If Doctson is one of those guys and Thompson is another, you take that 100 times out of a 100. This franchise has too often held onto guys for too long... I'd rather we be a year early and develop players while competing. That's exactly what we're doing.

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So catching  a long TD pass was not a critical spot? 

I don't know if any of the calls against the Redskins were bad calls.  Just because they came at big moments like third down does not mean the call was wrong.  I've seen the overhead on Preston Smith, I also saw where he got off the ball earlier than anyone else, so that tells me he may very well have jumped.  The others weren't clear bad calls or we never saw what they called. 

Call all minor infractions on both teams = consistent

Let all minor infractions go and only call major ones on both teams = consistent

Let one minor infraction go on us in a critical spot and call minor infractions against us in critical spots = what we got

I'm not talking about right calls versus wrong calls. I'm talking about consistency throughout the game. They miss things time to time because they are human but what we got was way too lop sided be chalked up to human error. I'm also blaming the outcome on the refs. I'm pointing out an issue with refing across league. I don't think asking for consistency within any game is too much ask. If you can get that, a lot of questions about  refs influencing games to keep them close, for personal vendettas, or Vegas spreads would go away. 

I already wrote a long post yesterday about the TO call late in the game and how I think coach Gruden F’d up the game.

When it comes to the players, I have to say that I am super proud of them as a team. It’s a bittersweet taste after what might’ve been a huge win, but it is what it is, guys were fighting hard for 60 minutes and you can’t take that away from them.

I will probably never be a big Cousins supporter, but he’s had three games a in a row with no turnovers and I love that. 7 TDs and 1 INT in the first quarter of the season? I love it. He’s making plays with his feet rather than throwing into coverage and every run he had so far on the season was big for us. He reminds me of Alex Smith to be honest, except I think he has a much better arm than him. 

Pryor is concerning, but to uncerstand his his drops, you have to  go back to what he actually is - a QB turned WR. It looks like he just doesn’t have that routine that someone who played WR through high school and college usually has. Droping contested passes is somewhat understandable, but dropping slants is a problem. I feel like hes practicing too much one handed grabs and has to go back to basics. 

People talk about Doctson like hes a spoiled brat. Kid is having injury problems and is just being brought in the system. He had two huge grabs yesterday, hard catches. He should’ve caught that TD but it is what it is. Keep hiting him. 

Lack of Crowder is concerning. I can’t comment on what is going on cause I got no idea.

Defense plays with nastyness that we all wanted. Sometimes that will result in pentalties and people need to understand that. They did an amazing job considering all the injuries. I also feel like Chiefs did a great job studying the tape from our Raiders game. They knew our D-line is hungry so they went out and baited them with hard counts which resulted in many offsides. 

I hated the fact that we have a bye week so early in the year, but it seems like the perfect time now. I hope guys like Norman and Nicholson are back for the 49ers game.

I also hope we don’t underestimate the Niners. They scored almost 40 points on the Rams. Losing against them would be the most Redskins thing ever.

2 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

This has been my biggest fear coming into the season and it's why my level of excitement was low in August. I think a lot of that "real run" hinges on having continuity and I'm petrified that guys like Cousins and Brown aren't going to be here. If I knew they'd be locked up to continue on this journey with us, then I'd be pretty bullish on this team right now. Until that becomes evident though, there's an all-or-nothing feel to 2017. 

7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm with the other poster. He was playing last night and effective the few times they threw to him.  Chiefs obviously concentrated on him but every team concentrates on Jordan Reed and he still makes plays. 

I was mostly just expressing my frustration about his ability to stay on the field.  However, his snap count seems to be limited this year (I haven't checked, so I could be wrong), which I assume is due to his frequent ailments.  He is just not a player that you can over use or he WILL get hurt.

4 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

Hands to the face was another iffy call, imo. Away from the play, no helmet movement, etc. 

If they are going to call hands to the face fine. Then call it at least once or twice on one of the2 to 3 Chiefs Olmen who were doing it on most plays.

Archived