Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chiefs v Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

I think there is going to be too much blame on Doctson. Full out, twisting and ball popping out when he hits the ground. Would have been a great catch. He's a guy who's made a couple of great catches the past 2 games, I just can't get that upset with him not making that play.

Really the end of this game is a good example of why I still can't get behind Jay Gruden. The whole scenario with calling a timeout and then throwing into the end zone on 3rd down and short with 57 seconds left. I was OK with calling a TO after letting the clock run a little, if you're setting up a play to get the first down. Leave yourself plenty of time to keep driving to the end zone. But calling it then throwing deep? There's nothing but downside there. Even if it works, the timeout just preserved time for them to drive back. If it didn't, then we saw what happened. 

We needed to let about 10 seconds run, then design a play for the first. If it didn't succeed, then after the FG, they are going to have less than 40 seconds on the clock. If they can drive in that time, so be it. But get the first down, we have plenty of time to go for the TD and KC has no chance to come back from either the TD or FG. Basically, the only thing we couldn't do is exactly what we did.

Several years in, I remain unconvinced Jay Gruden has the ability to process all the info to make the right decision in those kinds of situations.

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It sucks knowing that if we kept Garcon and Jackson, we're probably 3-1, maybe even 4-0 right now.

Our WRs went from strength to significant weakness. I mean Ryan Grant is our best WR right now. WTF has happened to Crowder?

If we signed those 2 for what they got paid, we wouldn’t have this defense and also have no shot of signing Cousins without gutting our roster.  I agree Pryor is disappointing compared to Garçon but he seems to be improving.  Did we even throw a ball to Crowder tonight?

Our RB situation is abysmal.

Our WR situation isn't much better.

Our defense is thin.

The score may have been close tonight, but the Chiefs were clearly the vastly superior team.

We are still a 6-7 team at best.  Maybe 8-9 if we stay extraordinarily healthy...but that's pretty much already out the window.

The reality is we had every break in the game against us whether it's penalties, dropped balls, or injuries and we still went toe to toe with the top team in the league. There are no moral victories but I feel a lot better about our remaining schedule than I did in the beginning. There is not a team in the league we can't beat if we clean up a few things. They kept fighting until the end and I'm proud to support this team. I haven't felt that way very often in the last 20 years. 

8 minutes ago, mojo said:

If we signed those 2 for what they got paid, we wouldn’t have this defense and also have no shot of signing Cousins without gutting our roster.  I agree Pryor is disappointing compared to Garçon but he seems to be improving.  Did we even throw a ball to Crowder tonight?

Most fans, especially angry ones after a loss, have no idea how to manage a salary cap. Keep DJax and Garcon and we probably don't beat Oakland because the defense would be the same trainwreck it was last year.

Let me start out by saying: I didn’t expect a win. 

But! But, but, but...

Even when you are playing a better team, and when everyone has you as an underdog, you need to understand one thing - If you get your chance, and that chance is wrapped up in a box with a nice red ribbon on it, you need to go grab it. Because this league has 16 regular season games, and every game counts. 

With that being said, this one goes to the coaches. Mainly, head coach Jay Gruden. I’ve seen him before doing a bad job managing a game and a bad job controlling the clock, but I feel that this is the first time that it actually costs us the game.

First, during our two minute drill attempt at the end of the first half, we started calling no huddle plays too early and never burned any clock. We called a no huddle with 1:50 something on the second down, threw two incomplete passes in the row and gave them the ball, in the moment of the game when they were killing our defense, which resulted in them getting to the FG range easily and, lucky for us, missing a FG.

Then, the TO call on 3rd & 2 in the crunch time. A little over 50 seconds left in the game. Let me explain you why is this a awfull call. Someone said in the gametread that it was “to set a great play”. Even if that play worked, things weren’t looking good for us. Our defense was down on the ground praying to the only god they now that they don’t have to go play another snap other than to defend a Hail mary. 

Chiefs weren’t calling for a TO. About 10 seconds already passed on the play clock, so they didn’t wanted to stop the clock. Let’s say we didn’t call it either.

Scenario 1: 3rd down attempt fails. There would be less than 30 seconds left on the clock. We kick the same FG we ended up kicking. We make it and leave them with less than 30 seconds and two timeouts. How hard do they even try to attack us now? 

Scenario 2: We score a TD. Again less than 30 seconds on the clock but KC needs a prayer to win.

Scenario 3: we get a first down. Doesn’t matter what happens after that but KC doesn’t get the ball back for sure. 

Bad bad bad call. Even if Doc caught it, I am 99% sure this Chiefs team gets at least into our red zone with 2 TOs and 50something seconds. And if they do, everything is possible there.

Considering a fact that we were playing without our star corner, nickle corner and we had a 3rd string scrub playing at safety I would say it would be really hard to hold them off.

8 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Most fans, especially angry ones after a loss, have no idea how to manage a salary cap. Keep DJax and Garcon and we probably don't beat Oakland because the defense would be the same trainwreck it was last year.

D Jax is not exactly lighting it up in TB either

32 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Our defense is thin.

The score may have been close tonight, but the Chiefs were clearly the vastly superior team.

We are still a 6-7 team at best.  Maybe 8-9 if we stay extraordinarily healthy...but that's pretty much already out the window.

Nah man.  Our defense had at least 6 players get hurt tonight and they still held their own against one of the best offenses in the league.  That's a testament to their depth.  The RB situation is average, not abysmal.  CT is a terrific player.  And our WRs have a ton of talent, they're just inexperienced.  They'll round into form.

This team is going to win 9 or 10 games.  With good health they'll win more.  We're one of the better teams in the league this season.

KC is the best team in the league this year and we played them to a draw the final 8 seconds.  In Arrowhead.  We're not on their level but we're close.  Probably a top 6-8 team behind only Atlanta, Carolina, KC, Denver, Philly, and Green Bay.

What do you guys think Philly’s record will be by our Monday night game against them? They face the cardinals next weekend, then against the panthers that following Thursday night..3-3 maybe? I think we should be 3-2 by the time we face them. Should be a big game in Philly for week 7...

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What do you guys think Philly’s record will be by our Monday night game against them? They face the cardinals next weekend, then against the panthers that following Thursday night..3-3 maybe? I think we should be 3-2 by the time we face them. Should be a big game in Philly for week 7...

Considering the Cardinals are horrible, that should be an easy win. Then they play a Carolina team that has a great defense but a pretty bad offense. I see them going 5-1 even though I am not really impressed with their performances. They are definitely beatable though.

I agree that Gruden most likely cost  the team the game. Crowder  probably wasn't a factor because he's dealing with a hamstring. I do not understand why CT  wasn't used more on the screens and swing passes.  Overall though I think it was very gritty performance and that the team is heading in the right direction. Any time you can go into an environment like that and play what is most likely the best team in the NFL down to the wire you have done something. In light of all the injuries it's an even more impressive feat.

21 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

4-2 and we should be 3-2 with a chance to take the top spot in the division. 

Eagles aren't that good. They played us week 1 before our totally new look defense played a game together.  

Their last 2 games are against teams with a combined record of 0-8, the winless Giants and Chargers.  And both those games went down to the wire.  We're gonna destroy Philly in their butthole city.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Our defense is thin.

I don't agree they are vastly superior. We were down to scraps on D and still had the game in hand at the 50 second mark in their house. Would love a rematch on a neutral field in February. I like the hell out of our odds.

I was very encouraged by this game even though we loss.  I am proud of Kirk showing fight against a good Chiefs defense.  We have alot to build on during this bye week.

My biggest disappointment is with our defensive line.  Our defensive line had probably one of the easiest assignments they will have all year and thats going up against a patchwork offensive line.  The Chiefs had three backup linemen in the game and we couldn't exploit that with the front seven?

After that it all went downhill for us personnel wise because we lost Norman and a few other servicable defenders, but losing Norman really stings.  Im not going to use that as an excuse, because the Chiefs came into the game battered and we should have been well ahead by the time the injury bug started biting us.

All in all, we played well enough to win, but we have got to develop a killer instinct and target other team's weaknesses.  We got beat by a better team tonight, but we are trending in the right direction.

We played hard all game even with the injuries we had. We fought hard throughout but that last play ruined it for me. Guys were jogging and walking and gifting KC a walk on TD after all that hard work.

Hats off to Jonathan Allen and Preston Brown, those guys hustled all game. 

Our WRs are getting there. Ryan Grant is finally producing what we have been hearing about for the past 2 years from the coaches. Doctson made a great leaping catch but couldn't hang on. Pryor needs to learn to catch with a defender in his face. Perine needs a slap on the head for every time he fumbles. 

I can relate to the OP.  A respectable effort;  they went into a hostile,  very loud stadium to play one of the hottest teams reg season W-L in the league,  and fought them to a standstill.  Err,  except for the massive ToP imbalance from Q 2-4 and the D going from a stone wall to a lace curtain.  Oh yeah,  all the while spitting guys out left and right.  I honestly can't recall seeing this many Skins wobbling to the sideline since the body bag game.  That was crazy,  and makes me even more mad at the crazy gypsy **** who HAD to have cursed us back in the day.  Just what a franchise teetering on the precipice needs,  right?  A massive wave of injuries to it's weaker unit,  at just the worst possible time.  Oh well...I felt good about it right up to the moment Dockson couldn't reel in that TD - it was no gimme on the difficulty scale but still,  he's a pro so - the second that thing dropped I started dying a slow,  painful death.  Hell,  the Chiefs could've marched into FG territory twice in 47 seconds,  the way our D was gassed and down to 8 or 9 actual guys who had played some snaps before.  It's the post-modern ethos,  essence,  what have you.  of the B&G man.  Soooo close,  but at the end of the day ultimately so goddamn far.

I hear you guys with questioning the TO on 3rd & 2, but coming out of that TO we had a great play call that had both Doc and Reed open deep and CT looked to be open underneath for a FD if Kirk would have checked it down which would have moved the chains and kept the clock rolling. Kirk dropped a dime so its hard to second guess his decision, IF Doc completes the catch we go up by 4 with momentum and our D as tired/injured  as they were would have had a different mindset on that last drive. (nothing deep forcing everything underneath) Might just be me but I like those odds even under the circumstances. AR play calls would have changed as well with that situational football. Maybe we rush 3 drop 8 with someone spying as most of there big plays came when Alex got out of pocket. Easy to second guess but I am damn proud of our guys nonetheless. 

Side Note: Where was crowder all night? 

1 hour ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

I was very encouraged by this game even though we loss.  I am proud of Kirk showing fight against a good Chiefs defense.  We have alot to build on during this bye week.

My biggest disappointment is with our defensive line.  Our defensive line had probably one of the easiest assignments they will have all year and thats going up against a patchwork offensive line.  The Chiefs had three backup linemen in the game and we couldn't exploit that with the front seven?

After that it all went downhill for us personnel wise because we lost Norman and a few other servicable defenders, but losing Norman really stings.  Im not going to use that as an excuse, because the Chiefs came into the game battered and we should have been well ahead by the time the injury bug started biting us.

All in all, we played well enough to win, but we have got to develop a killer instinct and target other team's weaknesses.  We got beat by a better team tonight, but we are trending in the right direction.

The play of Smith probably did more to negate our dline than what KC’s oline did. I think his ability to make plays with his feet wore the DL down.That and the fact they were on the field way too much.I don’t believe the Chiefs were any more battered than the Skins coming in and certainly not near as wounded as the Redskins were by the end of the game. I haven’t heard it mentioned but Kelly going out early changed the complexion of the Redskins game plan.He was off to a good start. I believe Crowder not being used,probably as a result of his hamstring,also effected the way the Redskins ran their offense.All that being said,I believe the game came down to play selection and poor clock management by JG.

We lost this game on indivudual mistakes i.m.o. Couple of stupid penalties, missed catches (Pryor, Doctson, Reed), fumble a pitch (Perine) and getting beat one-on-one in coverage. 

Even after all does injuries we where still in position to beat the last undefeated team in football but we didn't do it. That just sad but gives some hope. 

I'm not sure about the last two plays on our final drive. I liked to run the clock down as much as possible. On the Thompson run I felt het could have bounced outside. That's also his thing, run outside. So I didn't like the call to go inside. The 3th down play was pretty good and Doctson should just had made that catch. But I think the guy is just out of football for too long. Not used to getting hit, because he had ball for 90% completed. Only I would rather had run the ball, try to get the 2 yards. It was not like there D was stopping our run game on short yards. That would have killed the clock more. The playcall was pretty sweet. There where three guys open. That's a lot on a redzone play. I need to give Gruden that. 

Overal inspiring game but feels terrible to lose. I really liked how Kirk bounced back in the final quater. The O had no ritme (Gruden...did you have to go more pass happy? Are you sure?) but he made some clutch throws and runs. O-line played good. On couple of does Kirk runs he had a lot of time to search for an open reciever. Zach Brown is a straight monstaaaah, that tackle just in front of the goalline was sick. The D played well even with the backups of backups in there. 

Happy to have a bye week right now. This team just needs to get a rest and heal up. I also would like Manusky to take a very good look at this game film. This game it looked like there was a lot of stuff open in the middle of the field. We had issues in the past with TE's running wild on us. We need to make sure that doesn't happen again. 

Stop calling the Doctson play a drop. It wasn't. In baseball an error is defined a a routine play... not sure exactly how the NFL records drops for WR, but that doesn't qualify. See my posts in other threads... a different time in this game and everyone would be talking about the intangibles he flashed on that play. Very few players in the game have the ability to do that. Keim did it best... it wasn't a bad play, it was simply a missed chance at a great one. Glad Kirk is trusting him, kid will be special if he can stay healthy.

Offense: B. 

Kirk showed more confidence and the ability to shakeoff a bad play and make another. WRs are coming along, I expect you'll see consistency following the bye. Perine ran better before the big mistake. OL had a special night in Arrowhead and would have been the talk postgame had we won.

D: B-. 

No team survives going to safety #4 and CB#6 in same game. That simple for me. Preston Smith and Breeland took a step backwards tonight, but One penalty on Breeland was simply a phantom call and I didn't think Smith was offsides.

Jon Allen is special. Zach Brown is special. Josh Norman is special. This should be a top 10 D all year.

Teams: Nothing memorable, so C.

Glad Hopkins made the pressure FG.

Coaching: D.

Would have been a B, but the timeout on 3rd and 2 was ****ing stupid and cost us the game. His explanation was maddening. See my rants in other threads, but honestly that was an example of what happens when a dumb person overthinks things. He literally said he took the TO because he thought Kirk would checkdown and pick-up the first to chew more clock on the next play. Okay, Ms. Cleo... You know what happens when one assumes Jay... and again, should have been discusssed during said TO.... tell your guy you want him to move the sticks not throw for the TD. 

Refs: D.

See above and add that I truly believe KC was not lined up properly on the killed clock. Should have been a ten second runoff and OT. The TE at the top of the screen is neither set, nor on the LOS. Not going to get the call in KC, but if you're going to call chicken **** all night, call it all night. 

Outlook:

Division/NFC/SB all there to be had. Sucks to be 2-2, which is nice to say in that many had us 1-3 or 0-4 after the Eagles' game. I'd love to see KC again on a neutral field again in a few months... if that is the best team in the league, we've got as much a shot as anyone. Razor thin difference between us and them IMHO.

Glad bye is now... coaches going to make sure the players are angry about this one. Time off let's us get healthier.

Gruden is an idiot when it comes to time outs. I like him, but the man is clueless on how to use these important tools. It will randomly cost us a game, and it played a major role last night.

Doctson is going to be fun to watch if he can stay healthy.

I'm eager to hear more from the Pryor fan club about his height and speed. Dude's garbage. He will randomly make a play but dude can't catch reliably, that's a problem for a receiver...

Defense looked great again, until injuries mounted. Losing Norman hurts :(

Archived