Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chiefs v Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

11 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Why call a timeout to end up throwing a 50/50 jump ball when you know the D is going to key on Reed.

Didn't like the TO but they had a great play called coming out of that. Doctson beat his man and was open and Kirk dropped a dime wasn't a 50/50 there. Reed had his man beat deep as well on the stutter go. CT was also open over the middle with check down that would have picked up the FD.

6 minutes ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

Agree about the intro to MNF... Hank Williams Jr singing "ALL my rowdy friends are BACK for Monday Niiiight" made my hair stand up the same way a Wu-Tang or Led Zeppelin album did. It was hard.

I usually pay a lot of attention to the commentary during games but last night was in a loud setting--- I will say this though:  Cousins did everything in his power to put the team on his back during that last drive, and unfortunately didn't get it done.  It's not too far off-base to say that Cousins doesn't get it done in crunch-time... because in reality, he doesn't.   

See I don't see it that way.. If Doctson doesn't drop that perfectly thrown ball Kirk is a hero. Off the top of my head he lead a game winning drive against the Rams, last year against Tampa.  There were a number of times he did his part, such as the Bengals game, and led the team to a score late and the defense gave it right back.  

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

See I don't see it that way.. If Doctson doesn't drop that perfectly thrown ball Kirk is a hero. Off the top of my head he lead a game winning drive against the Rams, last year against Tampa.  There were a number of times he did his part, such as the Bengals game, and led the team to a score late and the defense gave it right back.  

You are correct.  Perhaps if McDonough would have provided a caveat such as "...on Monday Night" it would have more credence, because he's now 0-5 in these games.  He's been more than fine with the game on the line overall.  Last night for example is one where gets the L but did everything within his power to earn the W. 

39 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Two key questions:

Can the offense go down the field and get a game clenching score when it needs it?

A: No.

Can the defense get a key stop when the game is on the line?

A: No.

From that perspective the team is about the same as last year.  We are giving them too much credit for the raiders game, imo.

This has got to be a joke lol. Hard to stop one of the best offenses in the league with half of your defense being hurt.

The coaching before the drop from Doctson was piss poor, honestly should have went for the first down and kept moving to get another shot at it. As mad as hell as I was at Doc, kid has made some plays. This team is finally where we want it to be.

35 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

One thing the Redskins definitely need to work on in this bye week is shoring up their defense when it comes to covering TEs.

Every time they face a team with a good, or even decent, TE, they have problems.

If Manusky and his coaches can figure a way to shut down or even just slow down TE production against the defense, it would help a lot.

We were discussing this last night during the game. It's extremely difficult to cover big, athletic tight ends. That's why guys like Gronk and Reed are effective. There have been many times were in perfect position and the ball was just placed where we had no chance. You can try to jam them but in cases, they will just shrug you off and be wide open. We can do better at limiting YAC but pressure the quarterback is really the only way to stop those guys if the quarterback can place the ball well. We aren't the only team that gets beaten by those guys. It happens all over the league and is why Reed being healthy is critical for us. 

36 minutes ago, scstand said:

Didn't like the TO but they had a great play called coming out of that. Doctson beat his man and was open and Kirk dropped a dime wasn't a 50/50 there. Reed had his man beat deep as well on the stutter go. CT was also open over the middle with check down that would have picked up the FD.

It absolutely was a 50/50 based on degree of difficulty. Great throw to give him a chance, but five things have to happen (out jump man, secure ball, stay in bounds, maintain possession on impact with the ground, called correct on field). Four did.

Once we stopped the clock, the play should have gone to CT to get the first and eat more clock. Jay should have stressed this during the timeout. If he did and Kirk didn't listen, I blame Kirk... but I don't think Jay had that conversation and I blame him for an ill advised TO. (Hell, Jon Gruden called it before the play, obvious it was worked on in practice and something they wanted to do). The same play on third and two without the TO probably would have been a tad easier given the D was gassed and on their heals.

5 minutes ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

We were discussing this last night during the game. It's extremely difficult to cover big, athletic tight ends. That's why guys like Gronk and Reed are effective. There have been many times were in perfect position and the ball was just placed where we had no chance. You can try to jam them but in cases, they will just shrug you off and be wide open. We can do better at limiting YAC but pressure the quarterback is really the only way to stop those guys if the quarterback can place the ball well. We aren't the only team that gets beaten by those guys. It happens all over the league and is why Reed being healthy is critical for us. 

Yeah, but Kelce didn't have a great game last week (I know, he is on my fantasy team :) ). He had one catch for one yard against the Chargers in week 3.

So they can be stopped. The Redskins just have to adjust their defense to do a better job of it.

26 minutes ago, SkinsUltima said:

This has got to be a joke lol. Hard to stop one of the best offenses in the league with half of your defense being hurt.

The coaching before the drop from Doctson was piss poor, honestly should have went for the first down and kept moving to get another shot at it. As mad as hell as I was at Doc, kid has made some plays. This team is finally where we want it to be.

if you want to do things and be stuff you better bet able to beat a good offense...

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Boy has Monday Night Football fallen from the glory years.  The intro was way over the top, unless you are 24 years old.  The play by play guy just didn't strike me as anyone more than the guy calling the Browns/Jets game.

That's exactly why I was streaming Redskins Radio while the game was going on.  Managed to get my TV almost in perfect sync.

3 minutes ago, TheCoach22 said:

It absolutely was a 50/50 based on degree of difficulty. Great throw to give him a chance, but five things have to happen (out jump man, secure ball, stay in bounds, maintain possession on impact with the ground, called correct on field). Four did.

Once we stopped the clock, the play should have gone to CT to get the first and eat more clock. Jay should have stressed this during the timeout. If he did and Kirk didn't listen, I blame Kirk... but I don't think Jay had that conversation and I blame him for an ill advised TO. (Hell, Jon Gruden called it before the play, obvious it was worked on in practice and something they wanted to do). The same play on third and two without the TO probably would have been a tad easier given the D was gassed and on their heals.

Why in the hell are people talking "degree of difficulty"? This is the NFL, these players are supposed to make these catches all day, every day. Why give this kid a pass. There are NO mulligans in football.

Gruden called up a play designed for him, he dropped the pass! PERIOD! Screw degree of difficulty, I have NEVER heard you guys talk about that crap before and have NEVER given anyone a pass before.

I thought we played a good game, I can't fault the defense for giving up 23 points when they lost so many players, yes they had some poor penalties but some were questionable and when you're on the field as long as they were your asking for trouble. I do wonder what happened to the pass rush after the 1st quarter, I think players were still fresh at that time so can't blame that on being tired.

We had a balanced attack on offense and did just enough in the run game.  I really like what Kirk did on that last drive, that was impressive.

Clock management was poor at the end, we should have run off another 20 seconds before running the 3rd down play, we didn't need all that time on the clock and in the end, it cost us a chance at overtime.

Commentators said that the Chiefs were the most penalized team in the league going into this game.

They had 3 penalties for 15 yards.  That seems..... convenient.<_<

Also anyone seen my missing wide receiver?  Answers to the name Crowder.  He's been missing for week's now and I'm starting to worry he's run away from home for good.

Defense played hard but not smart.  Literally tore themselves apart trying to make a statement.  This was their superbowl and I unfortunatley don't think they'll be able to sustain this level of intensity going forward.  You can't put in that much effort, come up short, and not have it take a massive toll on you psychologically.  

Regarding the offsides call on Preston.  The ref waited until the play was over, saw that the Chiefs needed another chance, and gave it to them by throwing the phantom flag.  Blatantly obvious to me.

5 minutes ago, rick7423 said:

Why in the hell are people talking "degree of difficulty"? This is the NFL, these players are supposed to make these catches all day, every day. Why give this kid a pass. There are NO mulligans in football.

Gruden called up a play designed for him, he dropped the pass! PERIOD! Screw degree of difficulty, I have NEVER heard you guys talk about that crap before and have NEVER given anyone a pass before.

Frame it another way. It's not a play DJax could make, or Pierre, or Santana, or any other former WR. Excited to have that x-factor in B&G. He's the type of WR Darrel Green struggled to cover... we've never had one. I maintain it was perhaps the wrong time to try to break the young stallion in... especially after the TO. Jay screwed up. Literally less than five guys in the league make that play.

2 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Commentators said that the Chiefs were the most penalized team in the league going into this game.

Nothing like a little home cooking in Prime Time. :)

1 minute ago, Reaper Skins said:

I could have called many holding penalties on the Chiefs... but nope. Some of them were clear as day.

1 minute ago, TheCoach22 said:

Frame it another way. It's not a play DJax could make, or Pierre, or Santana, or any other former WR. Excited to have that x-factor in B&G. He's the type of WR Darrel Green struggled to cover... we've never had one. I maintain it was perhaps the wrong time to try to break the young stallion in... especially after the TO. Jay screwed up. Literally less than five guys in the league make that play.

I know and agree, but just the phrase gets me. This is not the Olympics, He had the ball, and landed wrong. In the NFL, you either do or don't. 

Loved the way the boys played in this game, even with the injuries and replacements coming in, they all played hard and show a lot of promise moving forward. Clean up the dumb penalties and we might have won this game.

Doctson will be a star, gotta make the catches when your number is called, high degree of difficulty or not.

Just now, rick7423 said:

I know and agree, but just the phrase gets me. This is not the Olympics, He had the ball, and landed wrong. In the NFL, you either do or don't. 

Loved the way the boys played in this game, even with the injuries and replacements coming in, they all played hard and show a lot of promise moving forward. Clean up the dumb penalties and we might have won this game.

Doctson will be a star, gotta make the catches when your number is called, high degree of difficulty or not.

I've heard this... I'm not sure he lands in bounds if he falls on his back.

This is a fast, athletic team that is going to get better as the season rolls along. Much more worried about Pryor, Crowder's last 8 games, Reed unable to breakout than Josh all of a sudden... the bye and then a chance to bounce back against SF is really important right now.

Just now, TheCoach22 said:

I've heard this... I'm not sure he lands in bounds if he falls on his back.

This is a fast, athletic team that is going to get better as the season rolls along. Much more worried about Pryor, Crowder's last 8 games, Reed unable to breakout than Josh all of a sudden... the bye and then a chance to bounce back against SF is really important right now.

I hear you Coach! Let's hope the bye came at the right time. The injuries are really disturbing and will be a factor (obviously) moving forward.Not sure the 2 weeks is enough time to get better.

HTTR!

9 hours ago, nonniey said:

Not Doctson -  I'm down on Gruden.  A time out on 3-2? That was the just the dumbest thing I can remember a head Coach doing.

The timeout was fine.......the crime was not letting the clock run down before he took the timeout......utterly moronic....have no idea why he got so flustered and called it so quickly

let the clock run, i think he had 30 secs left on the playclock, then take the timeout.  if you make first down you still have plenty of time to score.....if you dont you leave Smith only 20 secs or so after our field goal

9 hours ago, Bacon said:

Same. We let two winnable games slip away from us and ultimately we are what we are: a .500 team, and an injured one at that. I'm not interested in hearing about how much we're improved or how tough we are when we're still finding ways to lose games that we largely controlled. 

My assessment is that Jay and Josh Doctson ****ed up. In games this close, it comes own to individual execution at key moments and it wasn't there when it needed to be. Is it ever for this franchise?

Usually you have reasonable posts but to blame this on Doctson is very short sighted.  Gruden however plays a huge part.  But first of all Cousin's over threw a wide open receiver - Ryan for a sure 7. So you could say poor execution. He also threw behind a few receivers that would have kept the chains moving.  He was solid B + because he did not turn the ball over, and made some excellent plays on a big stage but he still IMO has to work on his timing and finesse with some of his passes.  

I also think they should have thrown some screens passes to Crowder coming out of the slot and to Thompson coming out of the back field.  Those sort of plays were completely absent in this game.   I mean we had their D on their heels in the first half and we did not capitalize.

Our RB's sucked tonight and Perine fumbled....again.  Cousin's was our leading rusher I believe or fairly close.    Mack Brown was the better choice for this game IMO for his speed and elusiveness.  We were pounding against there line too and Mack would have been a great change of pace.  

There were countless bone headed penalties on the D, lining up in the neutral zone, as one example, are just some of the ways the Skins screwed themselves. And this has been tendency for this team.  I did not see the Chiefs screw themselves in that manner.

If Doctson makes an acrobatic play jumping 13 feet in the air, while his face mask is being pulled slightly on the way down, OKAY we may have won, but that is not the story of this game IMO. 

Gruden's half-assed clock management was a significant part of the outcome.  He left way too much time on the clock giving ample time for the Chiefs to score.   Also when we had momentum he should have gone for it on the Chiefs 1 yard line because we  had the momentum and even if we do not make it they are backed up and our D was rolling.  He should have went for it.   

Overall that was a pretty damn "fun" game.. Exceeded my expectations as far as staying within striking distance and not embarrassing themselves! But once you get a lead and look good, the expectations skyrocket and then (we) usually crash. And we did.. Couple bad dropped balls, poor clock management, a player going down every other snap, 3rd down penalties.. (Still call total bull**** on the offsides btw!) But as a whole, I liked that we competed with the supposed "best team in the NFL" in their house on MNF. Hopefully we can get healthy and continue to build on it!!

6 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Overall that was a pretty damn "fun" game.. Exceeded my expectations as far as staying within striking distance and not embarrassing themselves! But once you get a lead and look good, the expectations skyrocket and then (we) usually crash. And we did.. Couple bad dropped balls, poor clock management, a player going down every other snap, 3rd down penalties.. (Still call total bull**** on the offsides btw!) But as a whole, I liked that we competed with the supposed "best team in the NFL" in their house on MNF. Hopefully we can get healthy and continue to build on it!!

Yeah that was my take and why I was so conflicted after a gut wrenching loss.  This is not a Super Bowl year, we are trying to build something.  And for most of the night once again we appeared to have a really good, aggressive defense.  As we saw last week our interior is pushing the pocket back most of the night, running backs are being hit and hit hard near the line of scrimmage, the secondary continues to make big hits and our linebackers, including Spaight as another poster said earlier, are so much better than last year. 

29 minutes ago, scstand said:

Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but Galdi this morning too called it a 5050 play. Yeah Doctson had maybe a half step on his man late, but the DB had perfect inside position as he came out of his break @ the 8 yd line - pause the video below at 22 seconds. That is blanket coverage IMO. I see that and put odds at well under 50%.

Great call... meh it didn't work.  I still prefer one of the many higher % passes in our playbook, like the 3 yd pass to Crowder open in the left flat just over the marker.  And prefer to also milk the clock as a 2nd priority, after realizing we foolishly called timeout too soon. It wasn't too late to still try to work the clock down on a day our defense is physically beaten up and bleeeeding yards for 3 quarters.

The drop. Sigh.

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-highlights%2F0ap3000000855822%2FKirk-Cousins-nearly-throws-go-ahead-TD-but-Josh-Doctson-can-t-hang-on

A decent amount to like, with some rough around the edges moments.

Those neutral zone infractions can't happen (even if some were a little suspect).  Similarly, Doctson hopefully makes that catch most of the time from now on.  And Gruden not running the clock down when we were driving was a major mistake.

The loss of so many defensive players played a role too, as it would be expected to.  Still, we held strong for almost a full half against a good offense, and managed to keep them to 23 overall.  That's a solid performance.

It's way too early to talk playoffs, but I think a bit of wisdom regarding it can apply here.  In the regular season, you want to score 30.  In the playoffs, it's about keeping your opponent from scoring 30.  The Chiefs, sitting at 4-0, have all the appearances of a playoff caliber team.  We held them to 23 defensively, with backups across a number of spots.  On the whole, that's pretty decent.

Plenty of tape to review for the guys, who can hopefully continue fine tuning.  Thankfully, with all the injuries, the bye is here and people can get healthy.

Archived