Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chiefs v Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

I knew not getting a better RB would cost us. We just don't have that great 1st and 2nd down back. Playing Kelley tonight killed us, hindsight we should of kept Mack Brown up. As soon as Kelley went down we backed off the run and the offense stalled out and left our defense on the field forever not being able to control the clock. If you are a moral victory type of guy, that's about the best you can get. Was pissed and always hate the week 4 bye, but it's a great time to have it. This Redskins team can play against anyone and will be in most games.

Just now, Zazzaro703 said:

I knew not getting a better RB would cost us. We just don't have that great 1st and 2nd down back. Playing Kelley tonight killed us, hindsight we should of kept Mack Brown up. As soon as Kelley went down we backed off the run and the offense stalled out and left our defense on the field forever not being able to control the clock. If you are a moral victory type of guy, that's about the best you can get. Was pissed and always hate the week 4 bye, but it's a great time to have it. This Redskins team can play against anyone and will be in most games.

Totally agree. WTF Gruden, what has Brown done that he is not active when Kelly is playing injured.  Why?????  I don't get it man, he is sticking with the rookie that has fumbled, not hit the hole right more times than not and yesterday almost killed us with a simple toss he couldn't handle.  Give Brown a freaking chance Jay

What a strange feeling after the game. We went into one of the toughest places in the league to play and went toe to toe with the last undefeated team all night. That is very encouraging.  I also agree with the poster who said this is the most complete team we have seen in a while.  This defense is for real, they just ran into an injury run no team could survive.

But man that should have been a win. While I can see why he did it I knew it was a risk when Jay called a timeout with just under a minute.  We fail to convert that first down and that is plenty of time for Smith. His scramble was the difference in that drive.  I have always hated throwing deep on 3rd down, even said it earlier in the game.  I would have been fine with a first down throw, he had open receivers, and keeping the drive alive.  But damn, Doctson took his hand off the ball to break his fall, that is killing me this morning.

What happened to Crowder?  I was looking for him all night.  Even though he dropped the crucial catch Doctson is now a part of the offense, that's important.  But I agree we need to see Mack Brown.  Perine's fumble was a huge play, it appeared to be set up for a good gain.  Growing impatient with that guy.  I sure wish we could have signed a vet like the Steelers did with D'Angelo Williams, our running backs suck.

I think what hurts most about this loss is the fact that we have to wait almost two full weeks to rebound.  Had we been 3-1 at the bye, I think we'd all be absolutely thrilled.  But going into the bye week after a loss that could have been a win definitely leaves a bitter aftertaste.  I'm not looking forward to watching any football this weekend... totally crushed my enthusiasm.

I have no problems with the refs, Hell they gave us that first TD after an obvious push off by Pryor. They make that call and Pryor has a bad game. Again.  No those penalties appear to be self inflicted with the possible exception of the offsides on Smith.  I look for that all the time, you would be surprised how many lineman line up offsides and it's not called.  But I didn't see it on this one.

1 minute ago, Rex Tomb said:

I think what hurts most about this loss is the fact that we have to wait almost two full weeks to rebound.  Had we been 3-1 at the bye, I think we'd all be absolutely thrilled.  But going into the bye week after a loss that could have been a win definitely leaves a bitter aftertaste.  I'm not looking forward to watching any football this weekend... totally crushed my enthusiasm.

Literally the first thing I thought of when I woke up, we have to stew on this for 2 weeks. As posted earlier I hated the bye this early but right now this team clearly needs it.

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Literally the first thing I thought of when I woke up, we have to stew on this for 2 weeks. As posted earlier I hated the bye this early but right now this team clearly needs it.

Agreed - we're pretty beat up.  I'm hoping that Norman is able to recover this week.  Take it easy, JNO, our defense is not the same without you.

A Whole bunch of shooting ourselves in the foot prevented us from winning this game. The penalties, dropped balls & a mishandled pitch are the obvious blunders, with the injuries playing a huge factor too. But a play that was very costly and is overlooked was when we were up 10-0 in the first quarter and had KC backed up at their 10 facing a 3rd & 14. Fuller gets beat by Kelce on a seam route down the middle that goes for a big gain and a first down. Although KC's drive would ultimately get stopped at our 40 & they would punt, that first down was huge. If we stop them on that 3rd and 14 from their 10 and force a punt, we take over in great field position when the offense was still hot. We had a golden chance to go up 17-0 or even 13-0 at that point and that would've made it a different game.

The other thing about that play is that it feels like after that big first down, we never had the ball much the rest of the game, as KC went on from that point to dominate the time of possession. Now, I'm fully aware that we had a ton of opportunities to win that game despite that play, but I feel that play was a subtle swing in the game and played a big factor in the outcome.

I hate losing to anyone and I’m not about moral victories but you can just tell we’re better through out the team,(except head coach). It feels good to see young players out there contributing and growing before our eyes. And the bye comes at the perfect time.

I agree with those that see a lot of promise in this team. We played one of the best teams in the league in their hostile environment and nearly came out with a win. At this point in our development, we're going to lose a few, and this would certainly be a game you'd say would be one of them. So the fact we almost pulled it out is encouraging. 

But we will have issues if Kirk is our leading rusher in games, as he was last night. That dog ain't gonna hunt. But I'm also not ready to give up on Samaje. He's a rookie and is going to make some mistakes. But he does need to improve and quickly. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 7.20.55 AM.png

Still don’t cover the middle of the field. 

We gave the Chiefs their second TD with over 40 yards in penalties in one drive

overall. Besides the score, we won the game if you’re looking at performance. I think we outplayed them, not as bad as, but just like the Raiders... We are a really good team.

oh and I hope Manusky/Tomsula punch Breeland and P Smith in the face... 3 offsides for P Smith and about 10 penalties for Breeland, amateur **** 

Two key questions:

Can the offense go down the field and get a game clenching score when it needs it?

A: No.

Can the defense get a key stop when the game is on the line?

A: No.

From that perspective the team is about the same as last year.  We are giving them too much credit for the raiders game, imo.

Well, we played well enough to win.  We didn't embarrass ourselves an national TV.  We had a chance to win. We're at 2-2, which is about what I thought.  Get healthy during the bye and come back and beat SF.  I think if we stay on this path, the team will get better and better.

Boy has Monday Night Football fallen from the glory years.  The intro was way over the top, unless you are 24 years old.  The play by play guy just didn't strike me as anyone more than the guy calling the Browns/Jets game.  Not sure where he got the idea that Cousins fails in crunch time. Sure he has had a few memorable screw ups but he has also led the team down the field for late scores a lot in his short career, including a few weeks ago against the Rams.. 

And Gruden, never did like that guy.  He was critical of the Redskins pass rush when at the time they had 4 sacks to 0 for the Chiefs.  They were collapsing the pocket most of the night and of course KC was running a lot of quick throws. 

Good

Doctson showing flashes.  Kirk "Triple Pump or Bust!" Cousins looking to scramble vs the back breaker INT we live in fear of.  OL kept Kirk clean. Our limping defense overall did well. Ioannidis Smith and McClain all had 2 QB hits. Vernon "Moves" Davis deserves more targets with Pryor Doctson Crowder and Reed - all inconsistent or injured weekly. My fingers hurt typing this.... Grant is our most consistent WR. 

Bad

Jay's panic timeout part 1000. He should have let Andy call his; have Kirk calmly go to the line, survey the defense - get their look, scan for any blown coverages or mismatches, try a hard count, and then call timeout.  Jay needs a timeout assistant to trip him as he goes to run to the official. Why call a timeout to end up throwing a 50/50 jump ball when you know the D is going to key on Reed.

Loft swing pass to Kelley? A shout out to Kelley for actually going after the lateral. How many times do we see the back pull up there and sulk, as the defense swarms to the ball. Cooley thinks he got injured after the play.  Screen pass!... to Paul?  Sigh. No RB productivity. Perine not allowed to run from shotgun, and then fumbled. Again. Mack, MIA.

Kirk again overthrowing a no arc deep ball - no chance for Grant to slow/shield the DB. It's nice to hear Galdi seeing what I have been seeing from last year. He was not on the same page as Reed a few times. The weekly Pryor drop, Kirk has to learn a slant at Pryor's outstretched hands is not working - try to hit him in the chest in stride.

Meh/Randyoms

Fragile'. It's french for how the hell do we have 2 weeks in a row with so many players getting injured. It's not like KC was doling out monster hits, same with Oakland.

I was happy to see Doctson with more than 1 look. Clearly Pryor can't do it alone. That is now 9 quiet games for Jamison although he has been injured. I then question why he is returning punts and still on the field getting so many snaps. Let's give Quick a few snaps - at least he is healthy.

"We have to be happy to be 2 and..." KMA!

One thing the Redskins definitely need to work on in this bye week is shoring up their defense when it comes to covering TEs.

Every time they face a team with a good, or even decent, TE, they have problems.

If Manusky and his coaches can figure a way to shut down or even just slow down TE production against the defense, it would help a lot.

15 minutes ago, HOGPOWER said:

I agree with those that see a lot of promise in this team. We played one of the best teams in the league in their hostile environment and nearly came out with a win. At this point in our development, we're going to lose a few, and this would certainly be a game you'd say would be one of them. So the fact we almost pulled it out is encouraging. 

But we will have issues if Kirk is our leading rusher in games, as he was last night. That dog ain't gonna hunt. But I'm also not ready to give up on Samaje. He's a rookie and is going to make some mistakes. But he does need to improve and quickly. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 7.20.55 AM.png

Perine lost 5 on that circus play, he was averaging over six per carry before that crap. Looked like he was playing a little faster. It was just unfortunate.

The issue I have is that Kelley and Perine are thunder and thunder. I'd really like to see Brown get a shot. He's got the big play potential the other two lack.

As per pff, we got some pressure, just Alex Smith was a bit better today:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-kansas-city-chiefs-29-washington-redskins-20

Being under pressure on 21 of his 45 dropbacks, Smith often had to get the ball out early and 29 of his attempts were thrown under 2.5 seconds. He made the Redskins pay when they brought the blitz, as he completed 6-of-7 attempts when they brought extra rushers for 91 yards with a passer rating of 158.3.

Also:

Cousins had a perfect passer rating of 158.3 when he was faced with a blitz.

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Boy has Monday Night Football fallen from the glory years.  The intro was way over the top, unless you are 24 years old.  The play by play guy just didn't strike me as anyone more than the guy calling the Browns/Jets game.  Not sure where he got the idea that Cousins fails in crunch time. Sure he has had a few memorable screw ups but he has also led the team down the field for late scores a lot in his short career. 

And Gruden, never did like that guy.  He was critical of the Redskins pass rush when at the time they had 4 sacks to 0 for the Chiefs.  They were collapsing the pocket most of the night and of course KC was running a lot of quick throws. 

Agree about the intro to MNF... Hank Williams Jr singing "ALL my rowdy friends are BACK for Monday Niiiight" made my hair stand up the same way a Wu-Tang or Led Zeppelin album did. It was hard.

I usually pay a lot of attention to the commentary during games but last night was in a loud setting--- I will say this though:  Cousins did everything in his power to put the team on his back during that last drive, and unfortunately didn't get it done.  It's not too far off-base to say that Cousins doesn't get it done in crunch-time... because in reality, he doesn't.   

Archived