Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

1 hour ago, SamoaSkinz said:

As disappointing the game was, I'm not yet ready to throw in the towel vs the Rams. Sure they have a good defense and that pummeling they gave the Colts is an ominous sign but with the way our defense played, there is potential there. I think Cousins and WRs will rebound next week to give the Rams a close game. Well, if we play well lol.

Our run game though... 

Ya I like are chances against the rams too..the receivers(pryor)bring there hands the o line does better in pass protection and the run game gets going..oh and hopefully crowder did not make things worse with his hip and for the love of god feed reed please!!

8 hours ago, RyansRangers said:

Every year I care less and less about this team! They have done nothing to play basic fundemental football. They don't have one aspect they are good at. 

I used to get mad now I expect to lose.. 

Yup! I agree.  I've been a Redskins fan for almost 40 years. For the first time my mind drifted to what other teams i could start rooting for. They are horrible. We hit lighting I a bottle with Gibbs and ever since then we are a joke. 

Today looked a lot like this year's preseason games IMO.. More aggressive defense, no running game, shaky pass pro, and red zone issues.  Hopefully it's just a matter of the offense needing time to gel with all the new pieces, but I think Jay has his hands full with trying to figure out how to use everybody.

After cooling down a bit, the Redskins still had a chance to win this game despite all the problems.  If Kirk hits Crowder on that throw (instead of throwing high), we may have won.  Eliminate the turnovers and I believe we win this game.

Kirk needs to make better throws, period.  Offensive line needs to shore up and the running game needs to at least give us something.  I thought the defense looked fairly decent but the defensive line has to do better with the pass rush.  Wentz made us look stupid. 

This loss is mostly on Cousins. He was making terrible decisions and having severe accuracy problems.

But, he's just another symptom of this dumpster of a franchise. As long as Snyder is in charge, this team will never win anything. Maybe one playoff game per decade, but nothing more than that. No self-respecting individual wants to work here knowing how the management operates, so it's going to be bad to mediocre at best. The real talent in management and coaching will look elsewhere to teams that actually have a chance at success.

just caught up on a bunch of highlights throughout the league, and it seems week 1 is tough for most teams.  Almost every team was a bit odd, figuring out themselves for this season.  Skins will do the same and figure out how to win enough to be sort of near playoffs...maybe.  Maybe better.  Just sayin, it's not just suddenly some awful team.

This is a team that needs a few weeks to figure out what to do with their...team. They'll figure out how to score, the pieces are there.  That's a good problem to have, considering the recent history of this team. 

Speaking of week 1, I now officially think it's a great idea to 8 man blitz like crazy in week one no matter what team you are lol.  Even the great QBs might be jittery.  the iggles said screw it and threw the house at Cousins a lot.  It worked.  Cousins is like "damn, can you give me a minute to figure out these plays with my WRs before I try to figure out this blitz thing?"... and he will, he'll figure it all out, along with Jay.  It'll just take a few weeks, as usual.  So everyone calm the hell down ;)

The defense is definitely better.  The safeties still suck (thanks Su'a) but every other part is better.  DT and ILB are way better.  Brown and Foster were excellent yesterday.  CB was good too, Kendall Fuller had himself a game and Josh Norman was his usual self.  Even Breeland made some big plays.  The edge rush was pretty good too.  Kerrigan was in midseason form.  Galette is still getting his legs under him but he was solid.  Preston Smith got pressure and made a few plays against the run, where he really shines.  Anderson made that rookie mistake of lining up in the neutral zone, but I think he'll get up to speed as the season goes on.  Once he does and once Murphy gets back, we should have a stable of edge players that can keep fast and fresh and wear down OLs over the course of the whole game.

We often hear that we should have a 50/50 run pass ratio. Is that why we lost today?  Philly did just fine going pass happy.  The league is changing because D's are so aggressive, RBs are running into a wall of blitzers.

I think Jay needs to stop trying to run for the sake of running, if he really wants to pass. First play deep lost in the lights. Wait, Jay told the world he wants to run more. We run CT on 2nd and 10 for -1.  Pass to Pryor, first down. Kelly into a wall, -1.  What's the point - if he wants to come out aggressive, just stick to aggressive. Don't panic and dial back immediately to run plays, our weakness. Just for one game, I want Jay to be unpredictable for more than 1 play.  What is wrong with passing 4 times in a row to start a game? It's no secret our run game was going to suck.  And go hurry up, to jump start the famous rhythm we often hear talked about being needed, yet struggle to create with our slow played offense.

About the review, I think the ball slipped out of Cousins hand, right after it started moving forward and his arm getting hit. I knew we'd get screwed on the call because we had 2 penalties overturned in our favor earlier in the game. We were due to get bent. Cousins was off all day, I had lost faith we would have scored anyways. The closer we got to scoring the more they would have blitzed. We couldn't even score on the final gift drive down 2 scores. Hats off to Philly for not going prevent like we would have. Philly created their own density by being aggressive, and dictating play by exposing our weakness.  That was the difference in the game.

Great thread - a quick up post game thread stops waves of unneeded knee jerks threads from posters you don't know #sticky for a few days

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

We often hear that we should have a 50/50 run pass ratio. Is that why we lost today?  Philly did just fine going pass happy.  The league is changing because D's are so aggressive, RBs are running into a wall of blitzers.

Jay started running because in the first half Kirk couldn't hit the side of a barn.

28 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Jay started running because in the first half Kirk couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Did we know that on the first drive? Pryor 'lost in the lights' almost worked. Maybe a tad overthrown but hard to say since he wouldn't run to a ball he couldn't see.  C.Thompson left tackle to WAS 15 for -1 yards. His second pass was to Pryor, and was on the money - first down!  1/10... wait for it.... R.Kelley right end to WAS 26 for -1 yards. Cousins actually came out sharp. Yes, I admit it was all down hill from there, and that he is usually a slow starter. Like Jay. Anyways.

But Jay always starts running. All coaches do, it just a matter of when. Even when Kirk is at his best, Jay still tries to adhere to a 50/50 split. I think some would argue it is the key to victory.  I think not telegraphing those mandated runs, is as important as the split itself. Kelley - no threat at all in the passing game is heavily keyed on. Defenses know Jay knows this, so know he will want to try to sneak in CT runs. I want to see Perine get some 1st down touches for he has better hands and it may make defenses key less. 

I am thinking coaches that want to run can setup Ds better. Run Kelley sweep right, no gain. -1 lets say. Run Kelley sweep left, no gain. ok -1. Get those big fat DTs we cannot run through, running sideline to sideline. I know a coach needs to test the line and matchups up front, but we have seen for almost 2 full years now, we are not getting any push. We look like zone guys asked to run power.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Why do we start every season looking flat and unprepared in the opener?

Why is Shawn Lavaou still our starting left guard?

Why is Bashad Breeland returning kickoffs?

Why does our head coach still suck at clock management, taking a timeout when Philly was ready to give us the lead at the half?

Why?  WHY???????

All great questions with no good answers.

Rekative to the kickoffs, I'd rather they stand Thompson in the middle and just make him run side to side than watch Breeland try to return it.

15 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Probably because he was hit literally as soon as he touched the damn ball

Want to give credit to Eagles defense, but our run blocking doesn't look like its improved, even with 4 TEs on the roster and bigger WRs for outside blocking.  It's one week, though, we got time, and I can see us stealing on in Philly.

We are gonna be eaten alive by tight ends this year.

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Want to give credit to Eagles defense, but our run blocking doesn't look like its improved, even with 4 TEs on the roster and bigger WRs for outside blocking.  It's one week, though, we got time, and I can see us stealing on in Philly.

Kinda disappointing to go through the entire offseason, OTAs, camp, draft with an emphasis on improving the run game and we might actually be worse at it than last year.

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Kinda disappointing to go through the entire offseason, OTAs, camp, draft with an emphasis on improving the run game and we might actually be worse at it than last year.

I have a lot of thoughts:

1) Cousins sacked himself on one of the sack fumbles. He set up in the pocket then kept shifting his feet further and further back. Moses was beat but kept himself in position to protect the true pocket. Cousins then didn't have the presence to know he was about to get hit.

2) Cousins fumbled, and lost, twice. He actually had a third that the refs decided to be nice about in garbage time. He threw a critical pick in the red zone. He doesn't look like a guy who is a franchise quarterback. McCoy could have done better.

3) Moses was beat often, but he was playing on a bad ankle. If his ankle was bad enough to effect his kick step that bad, why was he in the game?

4) People saying Stafford would have made plays... he's 5-46 against winning teams. Relax.

5) We DESPERATELY missed Pierre Garçon.

6) Pryor is good when contact is imminent. Pryor is not good when he has time to think about catching the football.

7) Rob Kelley is what he is. He's a hard nosed back who plays hard and pass protects well. But outside of one big game last season, he averaged something like 3.4 ypc. Yesterday was his normal performance.

8) These names are MAJOR highlights:

Kendall Fuller

Preston Smith

Josh Norman

Bashaud Breeland

Zach Brown

Ryan Kerrigan 

I'd say player of the game defensively was Zach Brown or Kendall Fuller. Obviously you have to consider Kerrigan.

Offensively I saw VERY little in the way of good... BUT... Offensive Player of the Game:

Ryan Grant.

A problem I saw yesterday, was that Pryor was expected to fill both DJax and Garcon's shoes.  He was the possession guy, and the deep ball stretch the field guy. I knew Crowder was going to have a light load, so Grant was our Crowder. That is short one WR from Kirk's normal arsenal, with his 3 go to guys last year MIA.

It all circles back to Josh Doctson and the team clearly thinking he would have a big hand in replacing 11 & 88.  I hope folks still don't wonder why we kept Quick.  He may well outperform Doctson this year.  I am really glad we got Harris back - for we cannot survive with 3 WRs (1 with the dropsies, 1 the coaches pet, and 1 injury insurance), and a TE with a painful broken ****ing toe. 

Looking at the pressure Kirk faced, I think its safe to say ole Sudsy shared some of our tendencies.

Archived