Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

5 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Unfortunately we look like the same team we saw in preseason. Our defense looks better than last year, but still a work in progress; it's not surprising with so many changes. If they can iron out the lapses they may even be good. On offense the team still look to be out of sync with each other. Kirk is Kirk, he'll have better days than this but he'll also have some days exactly like this, and more of the latter until he gets comfortable with Pryor and Docston as targets instead of DJax and Garcon.

*Our SS was 'ROUTINELY Out-of-Position (NOT Blanketing the Beagle's TE, while their QB was being 'Roger the Dodger' back there)', as Swearinger HAD to 'Reposition' Dude on SEVERAL Occasions. How 'bout 'NEXT Man Up'?!?

*We generated 'ZERO Defensive Push', up the middle (promote Mbu, Anyone)!?!

*How 'bout REPLACING 'Long - with Roulliere & Lauvao - with Catalina/Someone-Else'?!?

*Our O-Lineman ROUTINELY/IMMEDIATELY 'Stand-Up' - out of their stances (LOSING LEVERAGE)!?!

*Kirk PRE-DETERMINES his throws. In Jay's Offense, AT LEAST 1 Receiver is 'WIDE-OPEN' on nearly EVERY Pass Play!!! He RARELY Looks for 'OTHER Receivers Past his 'Locked-In Pre-Snap Choice'...

*If Kirk had "Colt's 'HEART', he'd be a 'Beast'; as, he has 90% of 'the Rest of the things' which QB's REQUIRE. He's 'Ned Flanders'.

*I've got my Tyvex Suit on - 'cause I'll likely get 'Roasted' for this; but, let's see what a flawed (Arm-Talent-Wise) Colt can do!?! *I'm sick of 'Waiting on Kirk to Warm-Up (through Games 1-4) - EVERY Season!!!

*EITHER: UCLA's QB Josh 'The Chosen' Rosen, OR Oklahoma's Baker 'The Touchdown Maker' Mayfield, would (IMHO) 'Look Maahhvelous' in Burgundy & Gold in 2018!!!

*"HTTR-'Til-The-Wheels-Fall-Off!!!" ???????✊?

19 hours ago, TheShredder said:

IDK...is he slow? Assuming slow means he can't get to the second level before someone catches him when there's a running lane.  I thought I saw him trying to find a place to go.  Maybe he is slow vs a slasher but he's a grinder that isn't going to take it to the house for certain.

Correct.  Yesterday i sat in the endzone to specifically watch this.  Alot of lanes were there.  He just didnt attack the hole fast enough

Well one bright spot is we made it difficult for the Rams to game plan for us.... oh wait. 

McVay's assessment should be to attack our offense and not respect the WRs. Make our interior OL and Kirk prove they can beat a blitz. Rodney Dangerfield it show our WRs no respect and press'em like a dirty shirt at the dry cleaners, one play right after another. 

McVay just has to contain Grant and our leading rusher Cousins and it should be an easy victory.

It is remarkable to see our run blocking vanish 2 years ago, after years of shoddy pass pro. Now, we have neither yet our OL is at full health. Something is not right  and Callahan may have to be the fall guy.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Swearinger was garbage the entire game.

Everette was disappointing as well.

Smith looked great, along with Ryan, who actually played the other side more often.

D line is definitely better. Even the McReplacements looked pretty good and Allen and Ioan are legit.

Brown was a breath of fresh air. Foster was ordinary, which isn't bad for us.

Breeland looked pretty good and Norman was great.

what about Fuller?

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As soon as the Cowboys can't afford to keep their OL together, making Zeke easier to stop, Dak will be irrelevant.

Wentz though, I agree.

That's wishful thinking. One thing Dak does that is important for any QB, let alone a young QB. He protects the ball. 

1 minute ago, DM72 said:

That's wishful thinking. One thing Dak does that is important for any QB, let alone a young QB. He protects the ball. 

That and he's got an opportunity to learn with virtually no pressure on him. Obviously if the team falls apart who knows but dude isn't really making many mistakes and that's 80% of what you ask for. 

It feels like this team never really improves no matter what they try.

New players, same ole crap.

New coaches, same ole crap.

New front office, same ole crap.

I think this owner is the one constant that has not done much good for this franchise.  i think his intentions are decent, but good intentions dont mean much in a results oriented business like the NFL.  Sure, he can sell parking and tickets to games, so he can make revenue... but as far as a "football" owner, he just isn't very good and it has been proven on the field for years.

I feel like no matter how much stuff changes, the Redskins remain the same and it starts at the top.

9 minutes ago, DM72 said:

He really doesn't have to take any risks.  When and if the run game suffers, he will be required to.  Otherwise they'll be 3 and out and boring.  Maybe he does progress but it's not a given.

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He really doesn't have to take any risks.  When and if the run game suffers, he will be required to.  Otherwise they'll be 3 and out and boring.  Maybe he does progress but it's not a given.

Not at all a given but I do admire the position he was put in. If think both Kirk and Griffin would have been able to succeed in similar position. I personally think the worst think you can do to a young QB is throw him on a bad team like we have done to almost all of ours in recent memory. 

How can the OL be so damn bad at blocking? it seems like Scherff and Moses have both regressed alot..I saw Scherff just getting blown up and pushed into the backfield multiple times..Moses looks slow like he has concrete blocks on his feet..Don't get me started on Lauvao he is probably the weakest of all of them..

21 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Did Fuller have any passes defended? I hate that we don't get to see simple pass coverage stats in box scores.  Why can't an incompletion via good coverage be tracked.

The modern NFL box score has not evolved in 50 years. NFL.com does not even have targets. facepalm.gif

Yes, he made several good plays. He had a pretty good day overall. Football Outsiders has this info but most of their stats will not start until after the first full week and in some cases after two weeks. I think you can also find it on the Fantasy sites. I never look at those I detest Fantasy football.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

15 minutes ago, bh32 said:

How can the OL be so damn bad at blocking? it seems like Scherff and Moses have both regressed alot..I saw Scherff just getting blown up and pushed into the backfield multiple times..Moses looks slow like he has concrete blocks on his feet..Don't get me started on Lauvao he is probably the weakest of all of them..

Moses was hurt and went back in anyway. They probably should have kept him out. So Scherff had a gimpy Moses on one side and a Long that is just OK but having to cover for Lauvao who should be a WalMart greeter by now. Not saying Scherff had a great game. Bit it's hard to tell when he has to make up for less then stellar play around him.

12 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Moses was hurt and went back in anyway. They probably should have kept him out. So Scherff had a gimpy Moses on one side and a Long that is just OK but having to cover for Lauvao who should be a WalMart greeter by now. Not saying Scherff had a great game. Bit it's hard to tell when he has to make up for less then stellar play around him.

Scherff got tossed aside like a throw pillow time and again. Happened in the preseason as well. No idea wtf is up with him right now.

1 hour ago, illone said:

It feels like this team never really improves no matter what they try.

Theres a reason: the people picking the coaches and players stink at it.  

Im not a Bash Snyder For Everything guy, but except for Marty, Gibbs, and maybe shanahan, every one of his other executive hires has been crap. 

Vinny: crap.

Allen: Crap

Spurrier/Zorn: crap on a cracker.

gruden: crap.

Snyder hired Marty and Gibbs. Probably Shanahan also.  Vinny hired Zorn. Allen hired Gruden.

every one has been crap because mostly he picked crappy senor guys in Vinny and Allen.

i question how long he can ride with Allen if his thing goes down the toilet.  Does he give Allen a third shot at a a HC?  Probably. But maybe not. 

2 hours ago, DM72 said:

So did RG3 his rookie year, because he had simple reads, a badass run game, and playcalling that was new and confounding for teams to figure out. Dak doesn't have to do all that much so he can concentrate on protecting the ball, but I'd be curious to see what would happen if Zeke and a couple of their OL got injured (or got arrested for smoking crack or something....this is the Cowboys, after all) and he had to win games with his arm and put the team on his back.

Defense appears to have found an identity and played with attitude, two forced turnovers, much improved.

Offence appears to have lost it's identity, we used to have an awesome pass threat, but not surprisingly removing the two best receivers has so far neutered our pass threat. Crowder and Reed barely featured, no longer opened up by Garcon and Jackson going deep. Run game was anemic as it ever was, with Cousins running for more yards than the RB's. 

While I don't want to see Cousins running like a lunatic, what I liked about it was it reflected a desire to win. He went head first for the first down marker every time. Good leadership by example, if a little suicidal.

Key plays, each of which on it's own cost us the game:

• The fumbled punt was a killer, just as we were getting momentum.
  • The decision to not catch the punt on the 5 and instead give us the ball on the 1 was almost as bad, as it put us in a hole (which we would have got out of if Pryor had caught the ball).
  • The int thrown by Cousins in the red zone.
  • The two fumbles by Cousins, one arguably not a fumble, and arguably both should be blamed on the O-line not Cousins.
  • Decision by Gruden to call timeout at the end of the first half, giving the Eagles the time to score the last minute FG.

Although it was hard to watch, the improved defence gave me some hope, I just wish that wasn't offset by the sudden demise of the offence...

While there were various elements at fault, I would also put money on the fact that we would have won with Jackson, and I can promise you the Eagles fans were delighted to see us without him.

No idea what happened to Doctson, or Quick, both of whom appeared not to feature much.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Did Fuller have any passes defended? I hate that we don't get to see simple pass coverage stats in box scores.  Why can't an incompletion via good coverage be tracked.

The modern NFL box score has not evolved in 50 years. NFL.com does not even have targets. facepalm.gif

because you can't tell how well a ball is thrown, and things like tipped passes can make it hard to tell who was the target on a pass 

Just now, PotomacGator said:

They're missing tackles and dropping INTs. We've seen this before. Not sure I love this identity.

Haha, true, I didn't say they were perfect, but two turnovers, and the threat/potential for more is something to be positive about. Last year the offence carried the defence in almost every game, I saw more in the defence this game than in most of last year.

Archived