Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

17 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

A problem I saw yesterday, was that Pryor was expected to fill both DJax and Garcon's shoes.  He was the possession guy, and the deep ball stretch the field guy. I knew Crowder was going to have a light load, so Grant was our Crowder. That is short one WR from Kirk's normal arsenal, with his 3 go to guys last year MIA.

It all circles back to Josh Doctson and the team clearly thinking he would have a big hand in replacing 11 & 88.  I hope folks still don't wonder why we kept Quick.  He may well outperform Doctson this year.  I am really glad we got Harris back - for we cannot survive with 3 WRs (1 with the dropsies, 1 the coaches pet, and 1 injury insurance), and a TE with a painful broken ****ing toe. 

Doctson not doing ANYTHING was not supposed to be part of the plan.  Any outcome where he actually played in the game and got zero targets and was outplayed by Ryan Grant is a disaster.  

He needs to be average, at minimum, for this to work.  And that's average at the same time that proven commodities like Reed and Crowder are supposed to be playing to their high level.

10 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Glad I didn't get to see it. Sounded beyond disappointing, following online.

Did Doctson not play at all? What's going there?

CSN said he played 20 out of 63 snaps.

Gotta give some credit to Philly. Their DL is flat out good. The OL struggled, but so will the majority of OLs against that front. But the back foot throw over Crowder was unacceptable. It was a chance to score a TD at a critical point in the game and he blew it. I was overall impressed with the D though. Better than anticipated at least.....

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

Why do we start every season looking flat and unprepared in the opener?

Why is Shawn Lavaou still our starting left guard?

Why is Bashad Breeland returning kickoffs?

Why does our head coach still suck at clock management, taking a timeout when Philly was ready to give us the lead at the half?

Why?  WHY???????

I am NOT a Gruden or a KC fan. We owned the Eagles the last few years so what happened? They made changes and so did we this past off season yet now they come into our house and beat us like a drum. Did their changes work and ours didn't? When will Gruden beat a good team and the birds are not even a real good team. We seem to have improved our D a little but can someone on our team defend passes down the middle? Can someone tackle the QB? Can we get some small resemblance of a running game? Can someone on the O line block pass rushers? When will KC stop throwing ints when they hurt the most? How many of us could go to work for 4 years and make the same mistakes over and over and not get canned? I just don't get it. 

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

Doctson not doing ANYTHING was not supposed to be part of the plan.  Any outcome where he actually played in the game and got zero targets and was outplayed by Ryan Grant is a disaster.  

He needs to be average, at minimum, for this to work.  And that's average at the same time that proven commodities like Reed and Crowder are supposed to be playing to their high level.

The problem was not the WRs on the field, it was the guy throwing the ball - or not as the case may be. Kirk Cousins **** the bed yesterday. Had he even been just average, the Redskins win that game. No excuse for a guy this far into his career to throw that pick in the RZ. Did Pryor have a few drops? Yes. Would it have been nice to have Docston out on the field? Of course. But make no mistake, this was Kirk's game. He owns this turd.

Let me be clear, I am not soured on Kirk as our QB, I have supported him and will continue to do so. But I am not going to hide when he has a horrible game - which he did yesterday. He got outplayed by a guy who is playing his 17th game in the NFL, and it was not even close. He can't miss wide open guys. He just can't. One specific play epitomizes the entire day. He had Jordan Reed on a crossing route. If he hits him in stride Reed at least gets the 1st down and most likely scores. Instead he throws it behind him and should have been picked.

The defense played well enough it win. Those saying they were not getting pressure - I have no idea what game you were watching. The front 7 was getting after Wentz all day long. So many hurries and also got a few sacks. Wentz did his best Aaron Rogers impression on some of those plays. He also had some bad throws that he got away with. But the CBs are not WRs for a reason. They mostly did their job. The Breeland potential pick especially would have been a spectacular play. The fact that he was there to break it up says he has come to play this year. He was very good.

STs has taken a step back but again they were not why the team lost yesterday. That falls squarely on one Kirk Cousins. I fully believe he will bounce back and have a great game next week. My guess is we will be huge underdogs since the Rams torched the Colts. But the Colts may be the worst team in the NFL without Luck. They are not very good with him since like when Manning was there, Irsay thinks if he has a great QB he does not need any other players.

Kirk needs to have a good game against the Rams and they have to get a W. An 0-2 start will become 0-4 very fast with Oak and KC right after. Losing a home div game puts the team in a pretty big hole. But it's not insurmountable, yet. I believe you can count on one hand the number of teams that started 0-4 and made the POs.

6 minutes ago, bradboyd80 said:

Gotta give some credit to Philly. Their DL is flat out good. The OL struggled, but so will the majority of OLs against that front. But the back foot throw over Crowder was unacceptable. It was a chance to score a TD at a critical point in the game and he blew it. I was overall impressed with the D though. Better than anticipated at least.....

This is exactly what I've been meaning to post, very well said!

39 minutes ago, justice98 said:

In hindsight... Pryor's raw (and needs to be expected as such for the fore-sable future), Doctson perpetually still mending, Reed in pain, Crowder a hip pointer late in the week, we only kept 5 WRs, can't run, and Kirk a slow starter.... yeah expect ugly early.

Josh was listed on our injury report ~ a week ago. I think I heard Cooley say he got 30 snaps but he may have said 13 or 3 - who cares as he was invisible regardless. Josh was probably omitted from the game plan because Jay couldn't count on him surviving the grueling week of practice. I knew Crowder suddenly healed up and quickly announced as playing on a friday night was a feeble attempt at gamesmanship. I saw right through that one, trying to make Philly game plan for him and then sneak Grant in leading us to glorious victory.  Can anyone ever remember a teams best WR injured on Thursday announced as playing the next day, heck any player at all. I thought standard protocol at that point is announce right before game time officially. I appreciate the effort but at that point, just make Philly wait.

4 turnovers + terrible Cousins play + countless drops by Pryor = a game we'll never win.

The D played really well. Assuming Cousins plays like a decent QB, this squad will keep us in games.

-Zac Brown >>>> Will Compton 

-The Macs who I've been down on actually played pretty well 

-Effing Ertz

-CBs were excellent

-Big fan of Manusky's aggressive playcalling

I'm really not sure which game people were watching that they're so down on Kelley. The problem isn't him, it's the OL. He had to break a tackle behind the line of scrimmage on just about every run. You could put any RB back there yesterday and they'd all have the same lack of success.

11 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

I imagine it's something nobody around here really wants to see again and I'm sorry I missed the first three offensive plays of the game and really want to see that very first play where cousins goes deep to Pryor..or attempts to.

Pryor open deep down the center of the field looks back to track the ball, never locates it - as he looks quickly over both shoulders... the ball drops a few yards in front of him.  He looked very awkward.  The announcer said he lost it in the lights. I think tracking perfectly on his horse, he scores.

However, I do not like the route - running directly away from Kirk brings the pass from straight behind him. I much prefer the post, especially for a raw player who may have trouble locating the ball. Anyone try to catch a pass from directly behind you? Good luck limbering up the back. It's also a much easier throw for the QB and allows the WR to run to the ball, and screen the defender with his body as well.

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Wow i didnt even know he was on the field. Shame. 

I think I literally only saw him once.  Every other time I thought he was out there for a second, it was Pryor or Grant, cuz they all have nunbers that start with 1.  lol

We probably lead the league in receivers with numbers in the teens.

I think a lot of people are giving credit to the D because there was a perception while watching that they maybe better.  But looking at the stats?  No.  You can't give up 8 of 13 3rd downs, 5 of them longer than 7 yards.  Same old problem as last year.  That kills any team, especially if your offense is struggling.   Pressure was decent at times, but lets not forget how the Eagles got their first TD.  Seriously you can't miss tackling a QB 4 different times for a sack and he nails you for a TD.  Wetnz maybe be a good QB escaping but he is not Vick and he is not Rodgers.  I understand that our D got as a TD, but they also gave up a TD that should have been a sack.  And several other 3rd downs and long for 1st.  We got a way to go but may be on the right track.

On the O side, terrible game by Cousins but lets not stop there.  Pryor needs to get better catching the ball immediately or this season is over.  You can't drop a bomb that could have been a TD (yea I know Reed was holding but what if he wasn't) when it drops right in your hands.  We are spoiled people when you had a DJax that can track the ball better than anyone in the league and you go to a converted QB.  We are going to have major growing pains.  And so will Cousins, especially since all of a sudden (I guess because of Pryor's height) he is throwing high.  And when Pryor drops a sure ball to get us out of a deep hole at the 1 with a catch and at least a first, same thing.  You had Garcon that would never in a million years drop that ball and probably breaks a tackle and goes another 20 yards.  We simply don't have the receivers to scare these DBs.  

Last but not least, I don't know what is wrong with the running game.  But it needs to get a little better only because our OL seem to have taken a step back in pass protection.  We need to get better at running the ball or we don't stand a chance with marginal pass protection and marginal receivers.

13 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Pryor open deep down the center of the field looks back to track the ball, never locates it - as he looks quickly over both shoulders... the ball drops a few yards in front of him.  He looked very awkward.  The announcer said he lost it in the lights. I think tracking perfectly on his horse, he scores.

However, I do not like the route - running directly away from Kirk brings the pass from straight behind him. I much prefer the post, especially for a raw player who may have trouble locating the ball. Anyone try to catch a pass from directly behind you? Good luck limbering up the back. It's also a much easier throw for the QB and allows the WR to run to the ball, and screen the defender with his body as well.

If he actually had it together, he probably has 9 catches for 180 yards and a TD or something like that.  And that's not counting the dropped TD with the penalty.

Kirk - bad game.  overthrows, never in synch, 3 turnovers.  definitely a bad game.

Pryor - bad game.  drops throughout and one horrible missed block.

Crowder - bad game.  muffed punt and invisible outside of that.

Reed - bad game.  holding penalty, and invisible in passing game

Doctson - ugh

Oline - moses was dreadful, scherff wasnt much better.  trent was up and down.  the other two i have no clue.  run blocking was terrible, pass blocking wasnt much better.  bad game

as a unit they were out of synch, confused, and overall bad.  never on the same page, our lone TD was a heroic YAC by our change of pace back.  outside of that play we didnt do much else.

dline - pretty solid.  allen had some good pressures, they did a solid job of stuffing the run for the most part, all in all it was a good game for that unit.

Linebackers - brown looked awesome, all over the field and good pressure.  gallette looked solid, kerrigan had a great game, foster was everywhere too, and p Smith had a sack and some good push.  probably the best unit of the D yesterday.

DBs - up and down, they had great positions on a lot of balls but dropped 3 INTs.  Swearinger had that terrible missed tackle on agholar and we gave up a few more big 3rd downs than id like, but it was definitely better than last year. 

as a unit they played better than last year by a long shot.  i felt more confident they were going to make a stop or make a big play.  looked like a major improvement from last year.

5 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I think a lot of people are giving credit to the D because there was a perception while watching that they maybe better.  But looking at the stats?  No.  You can't give up 8 of 13 3rd downs, 5 of them longer than 7 yards.  Same old problem as last year.  That kills any team, especially if your offense is struggling.   Pressure was decent at times, but lets not forget how the Eagles got their first TD.  Seriously you can't miss tackling a QB 4 different times for a sack and he nails you for a TD.  Wetnz maybe be a good QB escaping but he is not Vick and he is not Rodgers.  I understand that our D got as a TD, but they also gave up a TD that should have been a sack.  And several other 3rd downs and long for 1st.  We got a way to go but may be on the right track.

I think they did some good, did some bad.  They stopped the run, only one big play on offense and it was a busted play, and they got 2 turnovers.  And the Eagles had no long sustained, soul crushing drives really.  

On the flip side, they sucked on 3rd down.

They're not a great defense, but they can be improved. There is reason for optimism on defense based on yesterday.  An improved defense is all we needed.  All we needed if the offense simply maintained last years performance, that is.

27 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Ok, cool thanks for that..I appreciate it ..so sounds a little like both bad route running and play design...did he have the defender beat?...sounds like something they can work on.. I don't think Dallas can be beat for the division but both Eagles and Giants are beatable I don't think we have a chance to win the division but I'm definitely not already counting out making a wild card spot like a few have posted here if our offense can come around which I believe they will it will help the defense tremendously and if it helps the defense I seen yesterday other than some of the third-down stops they should have made that they didn't make will have a good defense.

36 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

That was the most bizarre play to start a game I can remember.  I actually loved the call but all I could think of was DJax makes the adjustment and scores.  Pryor looked complete lost but on replay you can see the throw was off target and should have been more to the middle of the field. 

4 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Ok, cool thanks for that..I appreciate it ..so sounds a little like both bad route running and play design...did he have the defender beat?...sounds like something they can work on.. I don't think Dallas can be beat for the division but both Eagles and Giants are beatable I don't think we have a chance to win the division but I'm definitely not already counting out making a wild card spot like a few have posted here if our offense can come around which I believe they will it will help the defense tremendously and if it helps the defense I seen yesterday other than some of the third-down stops they should have made that they didn't make will have a good defense.

The defender was beat.  The play as designed, I just don't see him catching that easily in stride for if he was tracking it, it would require him looking too far behind him to effectively maintain his speed and balance. Few can do it, and we let the best at it walk.  Anyone else that saw that pass, agree?  I used to try to catch passes like that back in the day just horsing around with friends on the fields in college, and either you slow to turn towards the ball, are looking backwards as you run away from it, or are bending over backwards.

That is about THE hardest deep pass to complete, down the center of the field like that. If its not the hardest deep throw, it's got to be one of the hardest - thus not a great play call.

14 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

That was the most bizarre play to start a game I can remember.  I actually loved the call but all I could think of was DJax makes the adjustment and scores.  Pryor looked complete lost but on replay you can see the throw was off target and should have been more to the middle of the field. 

Yep and I just referenced DJax as well. #GreatMinds

On second thought, you are right. Kirk threw it over the top of his head. Pryor was shaded to the left hash IIRC, and so looking over his right shoulder is the easier play - towards the middle of the field. We could be wrong, but if Kirk did throw it to the correct spot and Pryor was clean in his route, that is a real tough catch at full speed for any WR. Maybe Kirk tried to lead it away from the defender, who I think may have been shaded inside, albeit behind him.

Of course, as I mentioned in the GDT, even a low risk play like that is more likely to yield yards versus our predictable negative run plays that are becoming quite the norm.

20 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Ok, cool thanks for that..I appreciate it ..so sounds a little like both bad route running and play design...did he have the defender beat?...sounds like something they can work on.. 

Pryor had defenders beat all day.  That play in question was a TD if he finds the ball.

23 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I was driving back from CT during the first half and was listening to the coverage. I know that the timeout with 1:20 to go in the first half has a lot of people riled up. So, just for the record- Cooley, Sonny, and Doc all LOVED it. 

Yep, I just was posting about the timeout in another thread. It was a show of confidence to the team, showing his faith in the D, and his offense as well.

Of course, it was so us that it failed miserably. And it was a TE - probably vs zone 2 yards past the marker. So us.

Again, we needed to go aggressive there. If you get burned, we get the ball back with time - a part of the plan if Philly got the first there, or not. A first is not the end of the series. You don't call the timeout, and then half ass it in prevent and milk the clock away on yourself.

Archived