Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

We lost primarily due to the offense's inability to get anything going. The defense wasn't amazing, but it was more than good enough to win(still not good on 3rd downs). But the offense only scored 10 points today and you cannot win in the NFL that way unless your D is dominant.

So WHY was the offense bad? The main reason was, the Eagles won the battle up front. They consistently got pressure even just rushing four guys and they always cashed in on blitzes. We had such a huge advantage in this series because in the last few years we were able to block them, allowing Cousins to tear up their secondary, but today was not the case. Moses is hurt, Scherff looks hurt, and Williams got hurt mid game.

That and there is obviously a huge loss without Garcon and Jackson. Pryor is still learning the position, Grant is ultimately just a guy, and Doctson appears to be hurt(perhaps he is a bust, but I'll give him time yet). Reed is also hurting and Crowder, while a good player, is limited as he's just a slot guy(to be fair he was open quite a few times and Cousins missed him).

Speaking of which, Cousins was bad today. Partly the OL, partly bad WR play, but he himself was definitely a big problem. You simply can not overthrow Crowder like he did in the RZ. We score a TD there and I think we win the game as the D had been stopping the Eagles for the most part(and they'd be forced to score a TD, not kick FGs, changing their gameplan).

Defence did better than expected given how much time they spent on the park and how much time Wentz had on some throws.

Offence was abysmal across the board. No plus marks and it seemed a lot of people were hiding. The continual presence of a left guard who can't block or in fact do anything is bewildering.

Coaching and front office I'm done with. It is almost pointless watching this team now because even if something good happens then two tonnes of manure will be dumped by some aspect of the team.

Gruden has to go. I seriously think we might beat the 49ers and I've got a feeling we'll do something with the Saints but that's it. Top of the draft board behind the Colts - same as a few years ago. Even then we'll ruin it and pick the worst QB in the draft or a running back with no knees.

Pryor needs to get out of his own head.

Crowder needs to get in touch with the 4th round pick who wasn't guaranteed a roster spot.

Norman needs to finish those "almost interceptions"

Not looking forward to playing a Rams defense that had McVey telling Wade Phillips exactly where we are weakest.

We played like it was preseason.  No execution.  I saw alot of "whoops almost ill get it next time" attitude.  That costs you games.

Not looking forward to 0-2 but haven't seen anything in 5 weeks to make me expect anything different.

If we don't beat the Rams, I'd honestly just fire Gruden. A coach that has had 3 full seasons and yet his team still looks unprepared and seems to lack the fundamentals should is an embarrassment. Whether he's to blame or not, he IS the head coach.

It's early so this is emotion speaking but I wonder if McVay is going to turn into an awesome coach and meanwhile we're stuck with average Joe over here. 

Actually pleasantly surprised by the D.. A couple nice stops, a pick 6, some pressure and sacks.. Bummer they dropped some int's and whiffed on some sacks, but overall it was better than I'd predicted..

Cousins? Oof.. Im sorry, Kirk had little time and lots of pressure, I get it.. But if you think you should be the top paid QB in the league, you need to be able to make a play at some point, even with pressure.. I just don't see much play making ability coming from him. He still looks like a 1 dimensional guy to me, who excelled (last year) when he had small game pressure (ie: low expectations) lots of pocket time and a couple all pro receivers to target.. Just nothing about him looks "special" in any way.. Wentz made him look like a backup.. :(

The rest of the O? Meh.. Bout what I expected. (not much)

The 2017 team has a weak rush and pass defense and a poor running game just like the 2015 and 2016 squads.  Unfortunately in 2017 the Skins lack a great passing game to carry the team and keep it respectable.  My worse fears for the season were confirmed, I don't see things getting better over the next few games and perhaps not this season.  

Today as during the preseason games Cousins was pressured up the middle, something that didn't happen in 2015 or 2016.  The center of the OL isn't able to protect Cousins and Kirk's receivers are not nearly as effective without Jackson and Garcon.  Pryor and Doctson are not nearly as effective as Jackson and Garcon were in 2015 and 2016. I don't know if they will get better but i'm not optimistic.

Cousins was smart not to counter Bruce Allen's low ball offer because I see a horrible 2017 season leading to a Snyder meltdown and another reboot. 

Just now, I Love The Skins said:

LOL,No The Rams played the Colts who probably are the worst and least talented team in the NFL today so I wouldn't be too impressed with them.

Really, what facet of the game do we look better than the Colts in, let's be blunt, Cousins played like Tolzien today, and don't care who we are, 4 turnovers will lead to an ass kicking

I didn't watch any football after the Redskins lost. I was going home from the game then I chose to eat dinner and watch the news. So I check twitter and the Rams won. So yes, it is conceivable that the Redskins could go 0-4 going into their bye, with games against LAR, OAK, and KC. That's not an easy schedule. Philly was arguably the easiest of those four opponents. 

47 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Run the dam ball Gruden jesus!!!

Offense:

How much have we invested in this Oline and they still can't run block. Kelly couldn't get into any rhythm. 

WR's we looked like we did vs ATL two years ago when DJax and Reed were out. Cousins looks pedestrian out there, we miss Deseans speed. I'm guessing Doctson's injury hampered his prep week and didn't see the field. I'm about ready to jump off this kids bandwagon. And the drops mother of god Pryor is infecting everyone with his butter fingers. Crowder couldn't haul in any passes. 

Defense: 

Defense I thought was solid today. Good tackling, really good vs the run but Philly hasn't been a running team since McCoy was traded..To me they only gave up 17 pts today..

Overall: 

I mean you dont sign Djax or Garcon so you can have money to possibly sign Cousins and now he sucks without those two so now what? We already doubt Pryor's hands, Gruden doesn't want to run the ball, our Oline is lightyears away from earning the hogs moniker. If anything I'm glad were going through this now, am I hopeful it'll be fixed. I dont know. But there was little to look forward too when it comes to this offense..  

He can't run it if he has garbage backs. They got nothing on the ground. They at least moved the ball through the air. The problem was all the ****ing deep balls. First play of the game, deep ball. Why? They tried all these deep and intermediate routes that didn't work. Kirk was just overthrowing peeps. 

47 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Run the dam ball Gruden jesus!!!

Offense:

How much have we invested in this Oline and they still can't run block. Kelly couldn't get into any rhythm. 

WR's we looked like we did vs ATL two years ago when DJax and Reed were out. Cousins looks pedestrian out there, we miss Deseans speed. I'm guessing Doctson's injury hampered his prep week and didn't see the field. I'm about ready to jump off this kids bandwagon. And the drops mother of god Pryor is infecting everyone with his butter fingers. Crowder couldn't haul in any passes. 

Defense: 

Defense I thought was solid today. Good tackling, really good vs the run but Philly hasn't been a running team since McCoy was traded..To me they only gave up 17 pts today..

Overall: 

I mean you dont sign Djax or Garcon so you can have money to possibly sign Cousins and now he sucks without those two so now what? We already doubt Pryor's hands, Gruden doesn't want to run the ball, our Oline is lightyears away from earning the hogs moniker. If anything I'm glad were going through this now, am I hopeful it'll be fixed. I dont know. But there was little to look forward too when it comes to this offense..  

He can't run it if he has garbage backs. They got nothing on the ground. They at least moved the ball through the air. The problem was all the ****ing deep balls. First play of the game, deep ball. Why? They tried all these deep and intermediate routes that didn't work. Kirk was just overthrowing peeps. 

My assessments postgame? 

Garbage franchise returns to the depths of the dumpster, just where the owner is most comfortable. 

Some stream of consciousness:

Our line calls themselves the Hogs 2.0 and have become vegans. Just let that **** sink in for a minute. 

We have zero running game, again. Absolutely the worst running game I've ever seen by any NFL team in all my years of watching football. Not hyperbole.

The defense was a bit better perhaps, but giving up nearly 60 percent of third down conversions seems like too much same old same old to me. 

Two red zone visits, 3 points and a pick. Same old same old. 

Underprepared, every yard takes a herculean effort to make it seems while other teams come out fired up, fast and ready. 

No home field advantage whatsoever. Ever. Might as well be playing every game in Honduras. 

We were even called out by an Eagle a couple weeks ago, saying they were coming to Washington to "kick some ass," and no one seemed to care at all. 

Lame duck QB, lame duck coaches, chants of "defense" very audible in our home opener. Green jerseys everywhere. 

Gutless garbage.

McVay and Phillips are most likely going to rip this team to shreds next week. Buckle up for 0-4, another coaching change (possibly mid-season) and a total reset again after this terrible season finally comes to a merciful end. 

Snyder's Kingdom. Same as it ever was. 

14 minutes ago, I Love The Skins said:

LOL,No The Rams played the Colts who probably are the worst and least talented team in the NFL today so I wouldn't be too impressed with them.

The Rams can play defense and as bad as Indy may be, we don't beat them 46-9 like the Rams did. And our OL against Aaron Donald is going to be a joke.

But on the bright side, we should have a lot of cap space and 2018 is deep in QB's.

2 hours ago, RyansRangers said:

Every year I care less and less about this team! They have done nothing to play basic fundemental football. They don't have one aspect they are good at. 

I used to get mad now I expect to lose.. 

I'm with you. I was actually surprised at how little I cared that they lost today. I just expect sucktitude each week and especially week one under Gruden. Call it a defense mechanism, but I just have no playoff expectation for this team at all. So if they lose, oh well. Better draft pick. That's where I'm at now. 

6 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

My assessments postgame? 

Garbage franchise returns to the depths of the dumpster, just where the owner is most comfortable. 

Some stream of consciousness:

Our line calls themselves the Hogs 2.0 and have become vegans. Just let that **** sink in for a minute. 

We have zero running game, again. Absolutely the worst running game I've ever seen by any NFL team in all my years of watching football. Not hyperbole.

The defense was a bit better perhaps, but giving up nearly 60 percent of third down conversions seems like too much same old same old to me. 

Two red zone visits, 3 points and a pick. Same old same old. 

Underprepared, every yard takes a herculean effort to make it seems while other teams come out fired up, fast and ready. 

No home field advantage whatsoever. Ever. Might as well be playing every game in Honduras. 

We were even called out by an Eagle a couple weeks ago, saying they were coming to Washington to "kick some ass," and no one seemed to care at all. 

Lame duck QB, lame duck coaches, chants of "defense" very audible in our home opener. Green jerseys everywhere. 

Gutless garbage.

McVay and Phillips are most likely going to rip this team to shreds next week. Buckle up for 0-4, another coaching change (possibly mid-season) and a total reset again after this terrible season finally comes to a merciful end. 

Snyder's Kingdom. Same as it ever was. 

I don't disagree with any of this...

....but I gotta say the Snyder stuff is outta line.

Look, I don't like him that much either.  But it's in Snyder's best interest to win.  If everyone who accuses him of greed is correct (and they probably are), it behooves Snyder to win, and win big.  He'll sell more tickets, it'll drive up concession sales, there'll be more jersey sales, etc, etc.  If all Snyder wants to do is make money, well, the Skins will make a LOT more money if they're winning.  

Snyder doesn't want this team in the dumpster any more than you and I do, or anyone else.  

I just think he doesn't know how.  After all this time, he still trips over his own dick.  

3 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

A competent QB performance and this might be a win. Oline wasn't great but I wasn't expecting great against that monsterous front. Run blocking wise though, they ****ing sucked. Feel bad for Robert Kelley

Pryor isn't a good receiver. That's a huge red flag with Doctson apparently in the dog house.

Defense looked average, which was a pleasant surprise

But yeah, I'm ****ing sick of Kirk putting us in holes nearly by himself every September. He was ****ing steaming trash. Even without the INT. The pressure was there but NFL Qbs have to handle it 

Why didn't Docton even see the field? I have to believe he could have provided more than Grant.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I'm going to start with defense because I'm a game half full kind of guy.

Pressure: The front seven generated good pressure and got home a couple of times. They also whiffed at really bad plays which led to enormous plays by Wentz. Overall though, we were pretty good at making Wentz feel heat.

Coverage: Some very nice pass breakups, one nice pick seven off a tip, and great coverage on screens. There were also lapses, but overall, they did their job pretty well. 

Run defense: Much better than I expected. We weren't gashed for any huge runs and held our own pretty damn well.

Play calling: I think our play calling was solid. It seemed like there was decent communication. There were a few lapses and uncovered guys which may be a scheme thing or a player screw up, but they forced some punts, survived some pretty awful field position, and generated some turnovers.

Overall: I'll give the D a B-

Offense

Passing: So many missed plays. Some of it was due to drops, but three were so many guys open, especially on the bombs that Kirk missed and missed badly.  Pass blocking and passing was terrible. Our best receiver today might have been Ryan Grant.

I'm curious what deep passes Kirk missed? I saw one perfect throw where Pryor lost in the lights, 1 dropped by Pryor on a hold. 

Kirk played like absolute dog crap, but his deep ball was pretty accurate. 

1 minute ago, William Barbour said:

I'm curious what deep passes Kirk missed? I saw one perfect throw where Pryor lost in the lights, 1 dropped by Pryor on a hold. 

Kirk played like absolute dog crap, but his deep ball was pretty accurate. 

I seem to remember 2 or 3. There was one against Crowder and another one with Pryor. I don't DVR the games so I can't go back. It's possible my memory is in error, but I thought there were several shots Cousins took down the field that he missed badly on.

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't disagree with any of this...

....but I gotta say the Snyder stuff is outta line.

Look, I don't like him that much either.  But it's in Snyder's best interest to win.  If everyone who accuses him of greed is correct (and they probably are), it behooves Snyder to win, and win big.  He'll sell more tickets, it'll drive up concession sales, there'll be more jersey sales, etc, etc.  If all Snyder wants to do is make money, well, the Skins will make a LOT more money if they're winning.  

Snyder doesn't want this team in the dumpster any more than you and I do, or anyone else.  

I just think he doesn't know how.  After all this time, he still trips over his own dick.  

No, Snyder "doesn't know how"...to choose the right football people build a winning team. He spent

a lot of money to bring in big name and has-beens that someone else had already put out to pasture or someone like Gruden that is still learning on the job....

7 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

Why didn't Docton even see the field? I have to believe he could have provided more than Grant.

I will speculate Jay was rewarding good practice players in an effort to show others how to get into the lineup. Or, of course the latest injury has Jay on tilt and he is afraid to give him more than a few snaps. 

You have to admit, you can see why Jay is running out of patience after 15 months of injuries. He was just removed off the injured list this past week, I believe.

11 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

It almost feels like Gruden is trying really hard to prove he's right about Grant. He was targeted more than Reed or Crowder, I think. Maybe that was coverage, but it felt like the game plan was designed to give Grant the chance to be the star.

18 minutes ago, DM72 said:

The Rams can play defense and as bad as Indy may be, we don't beat them 46-9 like the Rams did. And our OL against Aaron Donald is going to be a joke.

But on the bright side, we should have a lot of cap space and 2018 is deep in QB's.

I don't think like that though it's not in me to be negative.

Archived