Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

7 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

This is also the GM who said the most important thing is game tape, that the combine is guys running around in shirts and shorts after having trained for months specifically for those drills. He puts a ton of stock in the draft, but based on what he has said many times not so much in the combine. And I am pretty sure he is not alone in that across the league.

Draft being most important does in no way equal the combine being important for evaluations. The most beneficial part of the combine are interviews and talking with agents about free agents. And those two things can also be done away from the combine pretty easily.

I understand all of this.   But again he is a draft guy, the draft is his life.   To miss any opportunity to get more information is simply not done unless there is a real problem.  Even if game tape is more important it makes absolutely zero sense for him to skip this very important part of his job  and discounting its value is totally missing the point. As competitive as this job is nobody would treat giving competitors even the slightest advantage lightly, it's a big deal that he is not  here.

And sorry it just doesn't pass the smell test that he is grieving the death of his 100 year old grandmother a month later.  There is nothing wrong what so ever with fans questioning that story, especially given his past.

Are we confusing judgment with speculation?

It's kind of difficult to pass judgment when you really don't know wtf is going on.  Speculation is another thing, that everyone here is doing whether you believe this is all BS or factual. 

Given the history of this franchise, Scott's past, and the actual facts we do know, negative speculation is completely warranted.  It's entirely possible to hope its BS, but remain skeptical based on the information we have.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Go wash the sand out of your vagina, it will did you some good.    When a very successful personnel man is fired twice for drinking, then without notice does not show for one of the biggest days of the year, it will naturally raise suspicion.  And there is nothing unfair at all about that.

You should know better than to start a response with something like that here. Take a little time off and go re-read the rules, specifically rule 5 please. The first part which reads: 

5. Your default position is to be respectful of your fellow members in your posts.
Upon registering, every member agrees to not post inappropriate material or topics. This includes content which is knowingly false, defamatory, deceptive, inaccurate, racist, insulting, abusive, inflammatory, vulgar, hateful, obscene, profane, sexually graphic, or physically threatening. It also includes posting anything invasive of another member's personal privacy outside of their posted content on ES, or in violation of any law including any stalking or otherwise harassing any member. Such material connected to the poster's life beyond what they willingly post on ES is a particularly serious violation.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Are we confusing judgment with speculation?

It's kind of difficult to pass judgment when you really don't know wtf is going on.  Speculation is another thing, that everyone here is doing whether you believe this is all BS or factual. 

Given the history of this franchise, Scott's past, and the actual facts we do know, negative speculation is completely warranted.  It's entirely possible to hope its BS, but remain skeptical based on the information we have.

A group of folks is traveling down the path of the off season when Boom! A real, slightly real, kernel of truth or even outright fabrication causes them to veer just a bit off the road. Speculation drives them further down this side road, soon they start making assumptions based on the speculation, and then the dreaded left hand turn of conjecture based on those assumptions looms ahead. Spurred on by all these new, emotional but exciting possibilities they gleefully plunge forward moving recklessly fast. Suddenly a new voice gives them pause and they realize they don't even know where the hell they are even though they remember all the turns. The outsider, with a fresh perspective can only wonder, what the **** are you all doing way the **** out in the middle of nowhere and for the love of God how did you all get here?

The problem isn't initial speculation. The issue is it happening in a one way verbal interaction accepted as news done for profit, as well as being done anonymously in written fashion online. Both have no controls or accountability and create a giant, ever growing, self healing, cannibalistic bull**** monster that scares the best of us.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

Wow so there is a lot here to digest

alcoholism is a disease, there are laws governing against employees getting let go because of a disease protecting them so our right release isn't allowed. The fact is if he was drinking they couldn't just let him go if they wanted to and it's very messy in that regard since it was never hidden when he was hired that he was still drinking then. IF that's what they wanted to do with him, big IF. Lawyers are involved and that would be a huge mess so typical there to give someone 90 days to clean up and then terminate if they don't  would make sense

Redskins Park is in Ashburn, VA. If Redskins employees are employed in the Commonwealth they can be fired at anytime for any reason whatsoever. As long as they aren't given a specific reason they would generally have no leg to stand on (we arent talking about obvious EOE violations) Over the years I have seen or used the magic phrase "were going in a different direction" dozens and dozens of times. Correct or not VA is a right to work state and employers have much more leeway. Nfl, Redskins team specific contracts notwithstanding of course.

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

If you're married, just make sure your wife doesn't tweet any photos about this subject on your behalf to try to clear this up. 

I'm trying to remember to wear shorts when taking pictures of my playbook in my lap so that I don't feed the trolls.

26 minutes ago, Probos said:

I do understand that the "issues" are separate.  I guess the difference in the way I see things is that I fully accept that the media will always go down the road of speculation and conjecture.  It's kinda like the sun rising everyday,...you know?  It's just what they do, especially nowadays, for better or worse.....do people understand this?  There's nothing you can do about it.  However, the Redskins, if they chose to do so, could be much more forthcoming with information than they are which could potentially lessen the amount of speculation, guess work and conjecture the media inevitably do.  Try to control the information/message a bit better.  You know what's amazing to me -- Bruce Allen, the President of the team goes on a F'ing Nashville radio station and answered question about the situation regarding McCloughan.  Nashville?  Who the F cares abou tthe Skins in Nashville?  Go on one of the local stations, answer all their questions and get out in front of this situation,...grow a set of balls man.  The guy is an adult running an NFL team,....unbelievable.  

"Trashing the team",...ha.  It still find it a bit confusing,..and amusing that fans still defend the organization on any level after all the of failure and mis-management over the last 20 years or so.  I hold out hope every year too,...but, when the team handles a situation they way they've handled it they deserve criticism. 

I find it amusing that people can't separate the real reporting of mistakes which is fair with the constant vendetta driven trashing on the team. And their own dislike for the team's FO allows them to be blind to the childishness of many of the media against this team. Since it fits your narrative it must be fair. It's possible that Scot could be drinking heavily again. And instead of giving him and the team a little space to let it work out behind closed doors, they came at them with pitch forks. **** them! Every one of them should be ashamed. It's the cowards way.

Yes, the team has gotten and deserved much criticism for some stupid blunders. I have written the team about at least one (was embarrassed we signed jeff George). But that does not mean that virtually everything they do should be viewed in the most negative way possible. There are also ways to report it. They always frame things in the most nasty way possible. I used to get the Washington Post delivered to my house. Now I can't even stand to look at it when I go home to see family. It's just one - The Redskins are horrible - article after another framed in the most negative way possible.

Many never want to even try to look at things from the teams point of view. It's too easy to assume the worst and rant like you did about Bruce above. Considering how the local media went on such a childish tear with no facts or data, do you think he was maybe sending them a message? That takes some guts since you know many will be pissed because he didn't tell them - well like you for instance. 

It's much easier just to trash the team at every turn - regardless of the facts. It's the Redskins so it must be bad. Sorry, but I am not going that way. I prefer to assume positive intent until there are facts to say otherwise. When the team is more "forth-coming" everything is twisted and turned against the team. Many people were saying just stop talking. Now they are not talking and now they should be more "forth-coming"? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

This has never been suggested as a theory, but I'm going to toss it out anyway because I think it could be a good idea going forward.

What if the Redskins said that McCloughan was staying back because free agency and the combine were basically happening simultaneously and they needed to have resources absolutely focused on each side of the acquisition puzzle. In fact, it might be useful to have almost two departments to maintain focus during these periods of overlap.

In one sense, free agency is more immediately important because it opens right now! We need Cousins, Garcon, Jackson, Baker, etc. dealt with and not put to the side for a week while we look at rookies. At the same time, we need to be finalizing our FA plan of attack.  That's not to say that the draft shouldn't take top priority. It should. It's the team's life blood and renewal.  So from that perspective, it would make sense for McCloughan or some muckety mucks to stay home and keep their focus sharp.

Its interesting to note all of the people talking about "This is strange, because what reason would someone have to miss the combine unless there is a REAL problem"

The death of a human being is quite possibly the realest problem of real problems.  Pretending that disagreements within an organization are somehow a "real" problem that might be big enough, and the death of a human being is not, is frankly quite strange to me...

I think it is safe to say that Scot had some kind of issue drinking again. All you have to do is put the dots together. Cooley's comments, then Scot isn't at work and can't talk. Then you have some weird statement by Bruce on a station in Tennessee. The entire thing has been so badly mismanaged. Always a sheet show over in Ashburn.

5 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Its interesting to note all of the people talking about "This is strange...

It is strange. It might be reasonable, but it is strange. If at all possible you don't miss the most important week of your work year and in many respects the Combine is the most important week or second most important week of a GM's year.

I hope it's much ado about nothing, but the timeline makes it seem even odder from a distance.

12 hours ago, hailer21 said:

Public perception matters. The redskins are dumb for letting media speculation run amok. 

The Pats have the luxury of giving the finger to the media because they win Superbowls left and right.

Who gives a **** about idiot media speculation except a bunch of gullible fans who ought to know better than to let their imagination run away with them.

The Redskins have more important things to do then spending time trying to calm an overly hysterical fanbase. With the amount of sports news outlets there are out there, as well as blogs and twitter, they would be spending the whole day quashing rumors instead of building a team.

As for your last point, whether they won titles or not with the current FO set-up, that should have NO bearing on how they choose to run the team. They don't owe anyone daily bulletins on their day-to-day affairs.

27 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Its interesting to note all of the people talking about "This is strange, because what reason would someone have to miss the combine unless there is a REAL problem"

The death of a human being is quite possibly the realest problem of real problems.  Pretending that disagreements within an organization are somehow a "real" problem that might be big enough, and the death of a human being is not, is frankly quite strange to me...

if you believe that the death of his 100 year old grandmother is the reason he is not at the combine, I got some prime land to sell you in the middle of the Sahara desert.  Water and all.  :)

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

alcoholism is a disease, there are laws governing against employees getting let go because of a disease protecting them so our right release isn't allowed. The fact is if he was drinking they couldn't just let him go if they wanted to and it's very messy in that regard since it was never hidden when he was hired that he was still drinking then. IF that's what they wanted to do with him, big IF. Lawyers are involved and that would be a huge mess so typical there to give someone 90 days to clean up and then terminate if they don't  would make sense

Not one thing in this paragraph is correct.

It is interesting to me that the media has targets and publishes constant vitriol about them. 

However in this case it does seem there may be something to it which is unfortunate. I guess the posts about Scott on the hotseat weren't as ridiculous as I thought. 

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

What if it was his 75 year old mother instead?

not even, especially since she was buried a couple of weeks ago.  Now if he started drinking at the funeral and was not been sober since...I will go along with anything, including a dying pet.

Archived