Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

15 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Can't prove it, but I think Gibbs resigned because Snyder wanted him to start Campbell in 2008, and Gibbs wanted Collins of a free agent.

Someone, please help me. I can't tell whether this post is a joke or if it's serious. I'm scared.

Just now, Tsailand said:

I really think that Gibbs had given up on Campbell, and Snyder hadn't.

Gibbs might have given up on Campbell, but if he did, I don't think it was related to him retiring. Sean Taylor's death is by far the most likely reason he quit. It's hard to imagine it didn't take the wind out of his sails. Add that to the rest of the team being mediocre overall and I'm sure he wouldn't look forward to another few seasons of trudging it out in the mud.

More to the point, the reason I thought you were joking is because you said you couldn't prove that Dan Snyder's involvement with Campbell. I was thinking that might have been a jab at people making their speculations that Snyder is involved in it now. In either case, I don't think Snyder was overly attached to Campbell. Campbell and Collins were both about as boring a QB as the next. It would be like speculating that Snyder preferred Grossman over Beck.

23 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Plus Scot came with a built-in self destruct button. All it takes is dropping a drinking rumor and problem solved. That's where we are. Dan wants to be hands on in player acquisition, recruiting and negotiation. That's what he likes doing. It's not going to change.

Sad how so few fans can see that.

23 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Besides, the best additions to the team have been Djax and Norman in the Gruden era and both of those were classic Dan hard sells. I am sure that fact is not lost on Dan.

Yeah, and he paid full price for both of them, maybe overpaid.  At least its a step up from his past ways of paying massive money and draft picks for failure.

This is really simple to me: 

If 

A. GMSM had a relapse 

or 

B. GMSM is legitimately dealing with essential family issues 

Then, this is a signal to me that the organization is actually MORE

umified than before. If they are willing to take the PR hit and stay quiet to help protect their GM then that is quite commendable on their part and shows that they either have compassion for him or want him back on board soon, or both. 

If it is 

C. Anything else 

Then what's going on is pretty absurd and it's amateur hour at Redskins Park again and we are likely headed straight back to where we were. 

I've read everything everyone else has read and I really can't tell if

its A, B, or C so I a withholding judgment. 

I just wanna re-emphasize this:

"...McCloughan now "has nothing to do with anything and has not for a very long time," -Chris Russell

"Allen said McCloughan remains in place, doing the work the team hired him to do. Multiple agents have said they've been in contact with McCloughan in the past week; one said he spoke to him three times." - John Keim

3 hours ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

Today, I am embarrassed how Redskins fans are acting.

For years, I've been the embarrassment, and I can accept that.

But not now. Not today.

I absolutely hate where this fanbase is migrating to.

Live your "perfect" lives, and judge others. You're good at something.

Seems to me that is a pretty judgemental post as you lecture us on judging others.  Why would you post this?  Because a fan base can question why a guy who lives and breaths the draft, a guy with a known drinking problem that got him fired from 2 jobs where he was very successful, would miss the combine as he grieves the death of a 100 year old grandmother who died a month ago?    Nobody is claiming we know for sure but there certainly is enough evidence for us to believe that this story just doesn't pass the smell test.

We're not being judgemental, we are simply using common sense.

Maybe GMSM is genuinely having issues related to his drinking and the best way for the team to respect his privacy while maintaining some semblance of professionalism is to be vague with the media. The Brewer and Loverro articles really got me pissed. They can't get the unfettered access that was once the standard MOA in DC so now they engage in wild speculation and ramp everything up to 11 before they have any real information. 

I really hope GMSM is doing okay. If the issues are related to his drinking, then maybe he has checked into a spin dry and a tip of the hat to the organization for respecting his privacy and helping him to maintain his dignity in the court of public opinion.  Then on the other hand Darth Vader may be at the controls hell bent on total destruction.

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

"...McCloughan now "has nothing to do with anything and has not for a very long time," -Chris Russell

"Allen said McCloughan remains in place, doing the work the team hired him to do. Multiple agents have said they've been in contact with McCloughan in the past week; one said he spoke to him three times." - John Keim

Maybe all those agents are his drinking buddies. :D

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Natures biggest attention whores are butterfly's ... "look at me how beautiful I am , for no real reason, I will go through the birthing process not once but twice - " that is how desperate butterfly's are for attention ... unfortunately they live for a very short period of time ..  so to them minutes may seem like hours hours like weeks ... 

keeping this his in mind I have some shocking news - according to some people who only exist in my mind Chris Russell is actually a huge butterfly ? inside a human suit hell bent on world domination .... 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

There is a big difference between using common sense and being speculative, which is really what people are doing when making judgments about uncorroborated stories.  

I think Kleese gave the best assessment thus far.

Let's see...........the Skins have been quiet since the end of the season. The media can't get a read on what the Skins will do with Cousins. McCloughan isn't talking. And for good reason. So, Cooley starts to speculate that McCloughan is drinking again. OMG!!!

McCloughan is absent from the combine because of a death in the family. Rumors spread, media not buying it. My GOD! 

All of this because the Skins choose to be quiet about all offseason moves. 

Okay!! The Skins will have a get together at Famous Daves, to discuss offseason moves. All are invited. Russell, I'm sure you'd do all back tracking, while sucking the marrow out of a chicken bone. 

The media and some fans..........omg! 

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Seems to me that is a pretty judgemental post as you lecture us on judging others.  Why would you post this?  Because a fan base can question why a guy who lives and breaths the draft, a guy with a known drinking problem that got him fired from 2 jobs where he was very successful, would miss the combine as he grieves the death of a 100 year old grandmother who died a month ago?    Nobody is claiming we know for sure but there certainly is enough evidence for us to believe that this story just doesn't pass the smell test.

Who the hell do you think you are to say people should act like this or that when they are dealing with death?

There's no wrong or right doing in such cases, everybody does it his own way, the one that helps them the most to get over it. If Scot needs that, I'm fine with it. If he felt it was more important to go at the Combine that he was absolutely needed there, I would have been fine. And Chris Russell's take on the story makes him a porr human being.

Now, that should also tell everyone that Scot is very trustful of all our guys down at the combine that will do the job for him.

Finally, I'm out of this thread that is being disgusting.

15 minutes ago, Skins-in-CT said:

There is a big difference between using common sense and being speculative, which is really what people are doing when making judgments about uncorroborated stories.  

The facts are that the organization has muzzled GMSM, done almost nothing to tamp media speculation based on conflicting reports, our GM isn't at a major off-season event even though he's muzzled to help him focus on personnel and this organization has a long history of turmoil and idiotic decision making. What's your judgement?

2 minutes ago, maskedsuperstar said:

All the Redskins have to do is be proactive about their "story" and provide explanations about why everything looks like such a **** show from the outside looking in.

Most of us, looking from the outside, see a lot of smoke - hard to tell exactly what the fire is but that's when the media is going to start asking what the **** is going on. It looks bad and the organization is content to let all kinds of conflicting info fly around.

All the Redskins have to do is provide a consistent story about why their GM looks like he's being pushed aside.

Again public perception matters - the Skins have been awful at trying to maintain it since the off-season began.

39 minutes ago, maskedsuperstar said:

Let's see...........the Skins have been quiet since the end of the season. The media can't get a read on what the Skins will do with Cousins. McCloughan isn't talking. And for good reason. So, Cooley starts to speculate that McCloughan is drinking again. OMG!!!

McCloughan is absent from the combine because of a death in the family. Rumors spread, media not buying it. My GOD! 

Okay!! The Skins will have a get together at Famous Daves, to discuss offseason moves. All are invited. Russell, I'm sure you'd do all back tracking, while sucking the marrow out of a chicken bone. 

The media and some fans..........omg! 

Let me ask you a question.  What do you think is more likely:

A GM who has made it very clear that the draft is by far the most important element for building a team would miss one of the more important days in the process to date  because he was still morning the death of his grandmother a month later.

Or

A man who has been fired twice before, both happening within a month of the draft and after doing a tremendous job, due to drinking problems has had his  problem resurface again.   The same man with a clear  drinking problem who claimed he is still drinking but had it "under control"

Again I am not sure of anything.  But to dismiss the possibility is absolutely crazy and to be so critical of fans who question the reason given for his absence is a bit unfair.  

19 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Who the hell do you think you are to say people should act like this or that when they are dealing with death?

There's no wrong or right doing in such cases, everybody does it his own way, the one that helps them the most to get over it. If Scot needs that, I'm fine with it. If he felt it was more important to go at the Combine that he was absolutely needed there, I would have been fine. And Chris Russell's take on the story makes him a porr human being.

Now, that should also tell everyone that Scot is very trustful of all our guys down at the combine that will do the job for him.

Finally, I'm out of this thread that is being disgusting.

Go wash the sand out of your vagina, it will did you some good.    When a very successful personnel man is fired twice for drinking, then without notice does not show for one of the biggest days of the year, it will naturally raise suspicion.  And there is nothing unfair at all about that.

Wow so there is a lot here to digest

alcoholism is a disease, there are laws governing against employees getting let go because of a disease protecting them so our right release isn't allowed. The fact is if he was drinking they couldn't just let him go if they wanted to and it's very messy in that regard since it was never hidden when he was hired that he was still drinking then. IF that's what they wanted to do with him, big IF. Lawyers are involved and that would be a huge mess so typical there to give someone 90 days to clean up and then terminate if they don't  would make sense

As for Bruce and company running the show I'm actually okay with that. The 2014 draft was better then the 15 or 16 drafts and Bruce from accounts called the shots there. Not saying I don't want Scots input but since I can't see him involved anymore I don't think it means we are screwed without him

The way the reports for months was about someone not wanting to sign Kirk long term was out there we've got to wonder how is it that Scots out and at the same time we're finally speaking to Kirk about long term deal if they are connected in any way.  If so makes the comments after the Packers game more plausible to me that always seemed odd

Only time will reveal what's going on here and we may never know why this went down but I can say if a GM is not at the combine it's highly unlikely he's going to be involved too much in the selection of players in the draft. Good or bad we just have to move on

No idea why we are still talking about this. The team and scot let everyone know what is going on yet we are still speculating about alterior motives and relapses. Not at the combine, but has been conducting interviews and watching tape. So....

Come on folks.

6 hours ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

Today, I am embarrassed how Redskins fans are acting.

I absolutely hate where this fanbase is migrating to.

Oh, great. Another "it's the fault of the fans" post. 

This is so lame on so many levels. First of all, it assumes that the fanbase has somehow developed some sort of "hive mind" instead of just being a group of collective individuals who think individually and whose thoughts just happen to be collected on a big message board. 

Go read any message board of any NFL team. You'll find EXACTLY the same types of thoughts (generally speaking). I even saw a "ref conspiracy" thread on a Cowboys page of all places, same exact comments as the ones we've all seen here. It's the same everywhere. 

Solely in the terms of a thought process, blaming the fanbase for these debacles is right up there with "she was asking for it" ... if you ask me. It's idiotic. 

Oh, and one other thing: Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. 

34 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Let me ask you a question.  What do you think is more likely:

A GM who has made it very clear that the draft is by far the most important element for building a team would miss one of the more important days in the process to date  because he was still morning the death of his grandmother a month later.

This is also the GM who said the most important thing is game tape, that the combine is guys running around in shirts and shorts after having trained for months specifically for those drills. He puts a ton of stock in the draft, but based on what he has said many times not so much in the combine. And I am pretty sure he is not alone in that across the league.

Draft being most important does in no way equal the combine being important for evaluations. The most beneficial part of the combine are interviews and talking with agents about free agents. And those two things can also be done away from the combine pretty easily.

22 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I believe @thesubmittedone is saying that there are two different issues here. The issue at hand, which is on at least some part of the team, and the irresponsible conjecture, guesswork and general trashing of the team.

The two have to be separated. I realize the media has job to do. But many - not all - but many of lost their sense of decency and giving people the benefit of the doubt.

I do understand that the "issues" are separate.  I guess the difference in the way I see things is that I fully accept that the media will always go down the road of speculation and conjecture.  It's kinda like the sun rising everyday,...you know?  It's just what they do, especially nowadays, for better or worse.....do people understand this?  There's nothing you can do about it.  However, the Redskins, if they chose to do so, could be much more forthcoming with information than they are which could potentially lessen the amount of speculation, guess work and conjecture the media inevitably do.  Try to control the information/message a bit better.  You know what's amazing to me -- Bruce Allen, the President of the team goes on a F'ing Nashville radio station and answered question about the situation regarding McCloughan.  Nashville?  Who the F cares abou tthe Skins in Nashville?  Go on one of the local stations, answer all their questions and get out in front of this situation,...grow a set of balls man.  The guy is an adult running an NFL team,....unbelievable.  

"Trashing the team",...ha.  It still find it a bit confusing,..and amusing that fans still defend the organization on any level after all the of failure and mis-management over the last 20 years or so.  I hold out hope every year too,...but, when the team handles a situation they way they've handled it they deserve criticism. 

Archived