Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I've heard on two different occasions that Scot and Jay have been seen out near where I live and that they are pretty toasty. For what it's worth, I saw Jay one Friday night when I was having drinks with my friend. It was harmless...he stayed for no more than 2 hours and just kind of hung out with people. Also, it was a a weekend we were playing on MNF (I think Carolina), so it's not like it was 36 hours before a game or anything. 

My point isn't that this makes them the devil. My point is that anyone who's envisioning Scot McCloughan sipping on Sprite and watching game film around the clock is probably being naive. 

This is a dude who went on the record - while unemployed - stating that as long as he drinks beer and not vodka, no one has reason to worry.

The only "celebrity" I ever repeatedly ran into in the DC bar scene when I was young was Gary Williams. That dude liked to party with very attractive women. I was always waiting for a minor scandal to drop there.

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Again, it was 2 hours 3 days before a game. Does it really matter to you if he hits a local bar, takes his wife to dinner, or plays pickup basketball? These guys don't work 24 hours per day. 

3 days before we were embarrassed on national TV by a team that had been playing terrible all year.  You bet it matters to me, if true.  What do you think Ron Rivera was doing that night?

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This is a dude who went on the record - while unemployed - stating that as long as he drinks beer and not vodka, no one has reason to worry.

The only "celebrity" I ever repeatedly ran into in the DC bar scene when I was young was Gary Williams. That dude liked to party with very attractive women. I was always waiting for a minor scandal to drop there.

I probably should have left the Scot hearsay out of my responses (even though I heard it from a friend who doesn't have a reason or track-record of lying about trivial things like that). 

4 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

That's a really really sad view on life.

"Hey Grandma, its good to see you.  Of course now that you are over 90 despite the decades of your love and affection, I dont care about you dying much like I did when you were younger than 90, so you can knock off anytime, no worries".

I actually had that exact conversation with my grandmother the last time I saw her before she died if you eliminate the words "don't care." It was "You know, you can go if you want to. We'll be all be fine." 

When I first read about this I really started to freak out because it's like our only real chance we've had in 25 years. That old battered fan syndrome came up  and made me nervous as ****. 

But after having a few days to think about it?  I am going to take @Koolblue13 s approach and wait to see what  comes out of the wash. The hype from the media and this site can be excessive and **** with a man's head. 

I still believe GMSM is what this team really needs and give him the benefit of the doubt for now until more concrete information is available

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I probably should have left the Scot hearsay out of my responses (even though I heard it from a friend who doesn't have a reason or track-record of lying about trivial things like that). 

I bumped into Greg Williams and his wife at a few bars in Tysons Corner. That massive weight gain he had that one year was not a surprise to me. He liked pounding dark beer and eating bar food.

You think his wings and 2 beers on a Friday night impacted our game? Geez. 

Well, 2 beers is not that big a deal, but when your first post starts with this:

"I've heard on two different occasions that Scot and Jay have been seen out near where I live and that they are pretty toasty."

I'm imagining them stumbling around drunk.  "Toasty" means drunk or "faded" where I'm from.

It's gonna be the same as OBJ doing the boat thing.  If he wins, no big deal.  If he doesn't, which he didn't, it's a big deal.

Your parents when you were younger would've wagged a finger if you did well on a test but didn't study.  If you failed that test without studying as much as you could, then your ass wasn't seeing daylight for a while.

I'm not saying that either of these are fair, but it's not a rare reaction for people to have.

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I bumped into Greg Williams and his wife at a few bars in Tysons Corner. That massive weight gain he had that one year was not a surprise to me. He liked pounding dark beer and eating bar food.

My favorite encounter was in September of 2011 (remember we started 3-1) when I bumped into Jim Haslett eating at a restaurant in the same town center. He was sitting in a booth with his wife and I had my son with me so we said hi and other generic fan pleasantries. So, to close it out, I said something like "it's been a great season so far, I hope we keep it up!" He stopped us from leaving (very friendly and smiling) and says "why does everyone keep saying that???"

Sure enough, I think we went 2-10 to close out that season. It's not really a "x Redskin coach/player drinks too much" story, but it was a hilarious encounter. 

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Well, 2 beers is not that big a deal, but when your first post starts with this:

"I've heard on two different occasions that Scot and Jay have been seen out near where I live and that they are pretty toasty."

I'm imagining them stumbling around drunk.  "Toasty" means drunk or "faded" where I'm from.

Yes, I have heard that...but that's not what I saw on that particular Friday. For all we know he got hammered the Thursday before our win against GB. 

13 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Wait...you first said this:

"...it's pretty well-known by people who live around Ashburn that Jay and Scot go out and get drunk during the season"

That doesn't sound like 2 beers and some wings lol...

EDIT: Ok, you're talking about different incidences...they started running together in your various posts.

Just now, Califan007 said:

Wait...you first said this:

"...it's pretty well-known by people who live around Ashburn that Jay and Scot go out and get drunk during the season"

That doesn't sound like 2 beers and some wings lol...

See above. I've only run into him twice in my life. Once was in the summer having dinner with his wife. The other was the night I mentioned, in-season. Neither time was he drunk. 

But, from people really have no reason to and don't care enough to make up stories, I've heard that both those guys go out sometimes and get after it. 

All I'm saying is the day I saw him with my own eyes, I don't have any reason to believe that his night out impacted a game 3 days later. 

the amount of naivete in this forum in hilarious.

1. Cooley did not pull the "MC drinking" out of his ass. someone fed him the info

2. MC is good as gone.. no way you go to a "grandma funeral" indefinitely with days before the combine. This is obviously a cover.

3. coaches are not robots.. i am sure most enjoy a drink here and there. now whether MC started abusing alc again is up in the air, but seems likely with his history.. or it could be a bs reason fed to the media by the Snyder to get the public opinion on the "right" side with a split coming. 

either way it seems like skins cant get by more then a couple of years without some level of drama and ineptitude in the front office

What exactly is the end game for everyone here? If the dysfunction is proven true you're going to renounce your fandom because of it? If it's all nonsense, it's back to the free agency thread talking about wide receivers? 

A man's grandmother's death and his drinking problem have been dissected page after page in the context of the NFL Combine. This is beyond sports and well into Kardashian terriorty.

19 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Again, it was 2 hours 3 days before a game. Does it really matter to you if he hits a local bar, takes his wife to dinner, or plays pickup basketball? These guys don't work 24 hours per day. 

OK. 

For the record, I'm not losing my ****. I'm pretty numb to the dysfunction that pops up every few years here. Someone else mentioned it earlier today...when is the last time these rumors or leaks have ever been proven wrong down the road? 

If you're numb to the historical dysfunction, then what makes you think you have a leg to stand on in what may or may not be true, in reality or in theory? If youre numb to it, that means you are simply more likely, or conditioned to believe fantastical claims that are based around sheer speculation and the absence of anything factual, for no other reason than "Its the Redskins so it must either be true or 70℅ true"

So in other words, you lack the ability to even come close to discerning what even MAY have been right. And you have the nerve to call other people naive?

Im fairly balanced as of late in my assessment of the Snyder Skins these days, and that annoys many people, to the point of me coming off as a Snyder apologist. You know why? Because I, and others judge things on a case by case basis, dealing largely i  facts, and not using mistakes of the past to cloud my judgment.

Im just as pissed as the next guy about what Snyder did to the franchise, but at the same time, I wont let that turn me into a moron when it co.es to how to react to this story,  bereft of anything factual. Its the easy way out. All you have to do is say "Bah rabble rabble Snyder!  Rabble rabble dysfunction!" And a large group of idiots somewhere will agree with you.

And that is truly pathetic

47 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't mean to throw gas on a fire, but it's pretty well-known by people who live around Ashburn that Jay and Scot go out and get drunk during the season (on their own time, mind you). So, for someone who's battled those demons all his life, is it a giant leap to think that maybe Scot has gotten to the point where it has started to impact his work? That seems more likely than him making sure his sister Rita gets grandma's nice candlesticks during a critical week on the NFL calendar. 

Wait, what...Jay and Scot go out drinking when it's a known fact that Scot has a drinking problem?  Is this factual?  If it is shame on the coach for giving the GM the assist!

Hail Em Up!

10 minutes ago, oraphus said:

the amount of naivete in this forum in hilarious.

1. Cooley did not pull the "MC drinking" out of his ass. someone fed him the info

Why is it, that Cooley can say, without hesitation, that he's just speculating as a fan...yet people STILL insist it was "fed" to him? Many here are reaching the same speculation--and would have even without Cooley's earlier guesses--without it needing to be fed to them by anyone. And as has been stated several times before, Cooley speculated like this numerous times before, and has been wrong numerous times before. He has (or had) a very porous filter in his head when it comes to what he should and shouldn't say.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Why is it, that Cooley can say, without hesitation, that he's just speculating as a fan...yet people STILL insist it was "fed" to him? Many here are reaching the same speculation--and would have even without Cooley's earlier guesses--without it needing to be fed to them by anyone. And as has been stated several times before, Cooley speculated like this numerous times before, and has been wrong numerous times before. He has (or had) a very porous filter in his head when it comes to what he should and shouldn't say.

And they should yank his ass off of everything Redski s because of it. He no longer deserves to be one of the voices of this team on Sundays

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

And they should yank his ass off of everything Redski s because of it. He no longer deserves to be one of the voices of this team on Sundays

I don't listen to 980 (or any sports radio) with any regularity, I only listen to the audio vaults on occasion...but I think I've noticed Cooley being far, FAR more level-headed than in the past and cutting down on the "I'm not saying it's true or that I have sources, but, come on, it's true" type of talk. Maybe the Scot drinking speculation he threw out got him slapped down a few pegs?

Some of this reminds of Rush, "Witch Hunt"

They say there are strangers who threaten us
In our immigrants and infidels
They say there is strangeness too dangerous
In our theaters and bookstore shelves
That those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves
Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand...

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I don't listen to 980 (or any sports radio) with any regularity, I only listen to the audio vaults on occasion...but I think I've noticed Cooley being far, FAR more level-headed than in the past and cutting down on the "I'm not saying it's true or that I have sources, but, come on, it's true" type of talk. Maybe the Scot drinking speculation he threw out got him slapped down a few pegs?

I dunno. But its clear how much damage his false narrative has become.

He has given the pulpit back to the people who have no desire whatsoever (because of whatever petty grudge they may hold) to see this team cast in anything but an absurdly negative light. And, with this going on top of his lengthening list of questionable moments since coming on radio, would be the death knell if i was his boss.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

If you're numb to the historical dysfunction, then what makes you think you have a leg to stand on in what may or may not be true, in reality or in theory? If youre numb to it, that means you are simply more likely, or conditioned to believe fantastical claims that are based around sheer speculation and the absence of anything factual, for no other reason than "Its the Redskins so it must either be true or 70℅ true"

So in other words, you lack the ability to even come close to discerning what even MAY have been right. And you have the nerve to call other people naive?

Im fairly balanced as of late in my assessment of the Snyder Skins these days, and that annoys many people, to the point of me coming off as a Snyder apologist. You know why? Because I, and others judge things on a case by case basis, dealing largely i  facts, and not using mistakes of the past to cloud my judgment.

Im just as pissed as the next guy about what Snyder did to the franchise, but at the same time, I wont let that turn me into a moron when it co.es to how to react to this story,  bereft of anything factual. Its the easy way out. All you have to do is say "Bah rabble rabble Snyder!  Rabble rabble dysfunction!" And a large group of idiots somewhere will agree with you.

And that is truly pathetic

That's the thing. I'm not pissed or emotional. And, over the past 20 years I have been much more on the 980 side of things (benefit of the doubt) than the 106.7 side of things (negative). Even in this situation, I'm not negative. I just don't see how the accumulation of things that are coming up don't make people think that a very likely (not guaranteed) explanation is that there is something more to this story.

I'll concede that it's possible that Scot McCloughan is still tending to the things that come up when a grandmother passes away. But, 3 weeks later and during one of the main things he's paid to do, that just seems unlikely.  

15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Look, I can't prove that Sonny was historically Snyder's mouthpiece to the fans either. It just seemed pretty obvious to me that Sonny was masterful at providing cover to Snyder when any one of these brouhahas started. I actually think Sonny largely did it out of genuine liking of Snyder. I don't think he was ever told "Defend us this way!!"

I think Cooley is largely playing this same role now. I'm not going to create a timeline to prove this, but it seems like the "Is RGIII really terrible now?" debate ended when Cooley dropped the hammer on him with his "I can't evaluate this offense" thing.

He just seems like the vessel through which the team can shape public opinion in a non-obvious, heavy-handed way.

By the way, I've lived in four major NFL cities now. All the teams have this broadcaster - the one they can count on to provide cover in almost all circumstances.

Archived