Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

9 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Look, I can't prove that Sonny was historically Snyder's mouthpiece to the fans either. It just seemed pretty obvious to me that Sonny was masterful at providing cover to Snyder when any one of these brouhahas started. I actually think Sonny largely did it out of genuine liking of Snyder. I don't think he was ever told "Defend us this way!!"

I think Cooley is largely playing this same role now. I'm not going to create a timeline to prove this, but it seems like the "Is RGIII really terrible now?" debate ended when Cooley dropped the hammer on him with his "I can't evaluate this offense" thing.

He just seems like the vessel through which the team can shape public opinion in a non-obvious, heavy-handed way.

By the way, I've lived in four major NFL cities now. All the teams have this broadcaster - the one they can count on to provide cover in almost all circumstances.

But he's not providing cover, in any sense of the word.

It's one thing to be a mouthpiece when some drama breaks loose...it's another to be the one who purposefully starts the drama lol. I would have to buy completely into the Bruce-Allen-Is-A-Jeaous-Little-Biotch narrative in order to think Cooley was fed this info for the purposes of him disseminating it to the public as a smear job to cover for Allen's firing Scot. Too many links missing in that chain of logic, and have already been discussed numerous times.

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's the thing. I'm not pissed or emotional. And, over the past 20 years I have been much more on the 980 side of things (benefit of the doubt) than the 106.7 side of things (negative). Even in this situation, I'm not negative. I just don't see how the accumulation of things that are coming up don't make people think that a very likely (not guaranteed) explanation is that there is something more to this story.

I'll concede that it's possible that Scot McCloughan is still tending to the things that come up when a grandmother passes away. But, 3 weeks later and during one of the main things he's paid to do, that just seems unlikely.  

My grandmother died in 2013 and left her estate a mess. Every necessary document required to settle her affairs required literal weeks of rummaging through old ass boxes of materials. This was with four people, who all had jobs and other responsibilities, constantly having to drive to NJ and take time out of their schedules. That was long after the funeral service.

So.... Other people may find it perfectly reasonable to jump to conclusions because due to their own personal experience, it doesn't jive, but it seems more than reasonable to me. Like I said, some people are just conditioned for nonsense.

Again, Scot is a sufficiently emotional man that he once punched a wall and injured his hand upon hearing about Doctson's injury.

Speculating about how Scot would or would not feel about the passing of a family member is, I think projecting our emotional profile onto Scot.  Some of us handle it well.  Others do not.  Deaths impact different people in wildly different ways.  The spectrum of possible feelings and actions is large, and indeed, sometimes strange.  Consider what happened with the children of ex-VP Biden (non-political, I promise Jumbo), Beau dies, and suddenly his brother divorces his wife to be with his deceased brother's wife.

People handle death in wide variety of ways.

Now, yes, relapse can be one of those ways.  In this case it might even be the "most likely" possibility.  But I think it too cynical to bill that as a probability without more.

Remember, several sources have said they have spoken to Scot.  If he had had a serious relapse, I doubt he would be available for comment.

54 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

But, again, three and a half weeks after the death of a 100 year old grandmother and you can fulfill one of your major job responsibilities?

He was "sent home" on the 20th. It's the 3rd of march. It's been less than 2 weeks.

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

It's one thing to be a mouthpiece when some drama breaks loose...it's another to be the one who purposefully starts the drama lol. I would have to buy completely into the Bruce-Allen-Is-A-Jeaous-Little-Biotch narrative in order to think Cooley was fed this info for the purposes of him disseminating it to the public as a smear job to cover for Allen's firing Scot. Too many links missing in that chain of logic, and have already been discussed numerous times.

Didn't Cooley do a pretty good job burying Shanahan? Or am I misremembering?

Generally speaking, it seems to be that the Redskins MO is to smear the hell out of a dude before he departs - with the exception of Joe Gibbs and, weirdly, Spurrier.

If someone is directing or more likely "guiding" Cooley, I tend to think it would be Snyder. Why Snyder would be doing this, I can't guess. Though having to pay $100 gazillion dollars to Kirk Cousins unnecessarily MIGHT be a reason.

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Remember, several sources have said they have spoken to Scot.  If he had had a serious relapse, I doubt he would be available for comment.

True. But it seems like he gave different stories to those sources. (Dan Steinberg has a pretty fun summary of everything today).

By the way, I desperately want a profile of Scot's wife now. I need to know more about this woman.

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

He was "sent home" on the 20th. It's the 3rd of march. It's been less than 2 weeks.

Seriously, was his grandma an heiress?

56 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm not being callous. I'm being realistic. I supervised a guy whose wife died in her 30s a few years ago. I got permission for him to take 2 weeks of PTO even though you are not normally allowed to use more than 1 week at a time. If he had stayed out longer than that, I probably would have been in a position where I would have been forced to fire him. 

There are different rules for different businesses and different circumstances obviously. But, again, three and a half weeks after the death of a 100 year old grandmother and you can fulfill one of your major job responsibilities? That's cuckoo bananas.

"This is a business" - Tony Soprano.

So, are all people the same, and do all people have the same relationships with the same depths as everyone else on this planet?  I for one dont believe Scott is taking this leave of absence out of grief over the death that happened a several weeks ago, but you seem to have both a very callous and naive view of the world and the different people in it, and I think that's massively unfair to our GM without knowing more.

The Redskins organization are either lying their butts off about this, and are super cuckoo bananas and are a giant mess.  Or they dont see this as cuckoo bananas and they know a heck of a lot more about it than any of us do.  There isnt really a third option.

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Generally speaking, it seems to be that the Redskins MO is to smear the hell out of a dude before he departs - with the exception of Joe Gibbs and, weirdly, Spurrier.

Spurrier quit and walked away from what he was owed on his contract. I think that is the model they want to replicate from that point forward. Make it so unbearable that the employee leaves. Shanahan wasn't having any part of giving up dollars and the resulting proxy war in the media ensued. In this case, Scot is a lame duck anyway, but they need to smear him to make his departure more palatable. 

3 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

Hopefully SM will get everything settled and be back after the draft.

That's actually interesting.

What if this is a really complicated estate? What if no one can find the key to the safety deposit box? What if the house really needs a good power-washing before it can go on the market? Are we cool if he misses the draft?

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

Spurrier quit and walked away from what he was owed on his contract. I think that is the model they want to replicate from that point forward. Make it so unbearable that the employee leaves. Shanahan wasn't having any part of giving up dollars and the resulting proxy war in the media ensued. In this case, Scot is a lame duck anyway, but they need to smear him to make his departure more palatable. 

I largely hated Shanahan as a coach.

But I respected the hell out of his, "I'm collecting every single dollar you owe me" approach. Snyder could have put his office in a shed on Sam Huff's farm, and Shanahan would have put in a solid eight hours a day there until that contract expired.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

That's actually interesting.

What if this is a really complicated estate? What if no one can find the key to the safety deposit box? What if the house really needs a good power-washing before it can go on the market? Are we cool if he misses the draft?

They aren't going to release him prior to the draft for competitive reasons. What's the point of bringing him back if he misses the draft?  You can have him exit stage left in May.

Yellow Journalism is at the heart of the inaccurate reporting around Scot McCloughan

The recent spectacle regarding Washington Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan’s absence from player personnel activities has sparked an outbreak of yellow journalism. From the speculation from former Redskins player Chris Cooley that McCloughan was potentially battling alcoholism, to harsh critiques about the amount of time McCloughan’s family should grieve over losing a loved one, illustrate a lack of compassion and a general disregard for facts.

Now during this outbreak of media speculation on steroids, many consumers of sports news in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area, have not heard any confirmation from the Redskins about the claims regarding McCloughan being in his last days as general manager.

[...]NFL reporter Jason La Canfora also reported via Twitter that reports of McCloughan being in rehab were also false. However, what is true is the harsh reality that a cottage industry of various media outlets that will promote unfounded stories based completely on bias and innuendo about the Redskins now command significant attention.

What this episode regarding the private family challenges Scot McCloughan has recently experienced reveals the brutal nature of yellow journalism in the 21st Century. Despite the proliferation of unsubstantiated claims about McCloughan’s future, several reporters doubled down on traditional journalism principles to reveal the truth.

Promoting alternative facts about the Redskins may acquire new listeners and page views, but you do a huge disservice to the respected craft of sports journalism.

http://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/03/yellow-journalism-is-at-the-heart-of-the-inaccurate-reporting-around-scot-mccloughan/

I just think it's unfair to speculate regardless nof the circumstances. He had a death in the family, that's a fact, and none of us know any details about this matter. OTOH, if this is related to his drinking, he surely doesn't need a bunch of people who know nothing about what he's going through making judgements, etc about the situation. And it could easily be a combination of both, in which case he needs our support, not our (and the media) speculation and rumors.

All I'm gonna say is we should all just give the man a break until we know what's really going on, and try to support him and the team however we can. I'd hate to be a part of something that caused him to relapse, get worse, etc just because we have so many prognosticators and clairvoyants on ES ( let's not even bring the media into this. That's a whole other ball game).

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Yellow Journalism is at the heart of the inaccurate reporting around Scot McCloughan

The recent spectacle regarding Washington Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan’s absence from player personnel activities has sparked an outbreak of yellow journalism. From the speculation from former Redskins player Chris Cooley that McCloughan was potentially battling alcoholism, to harsh critiques about the amount of time McCloughan’s family should grieve over losing a loved one, illustrate a lack of compassion and a general disregard for facts.

Now during this outbreak of media speculation on steroids, many consumers of sports news in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area, have not heard any confirmation from the Redskins about the claims regarding McCloughan being in his last days as general manager.

[...]NFL reporter Jason La Canfora also reported via Twitter that reports of McCloughan being in rehab were also false. However, what is true is the harsh reality that a cottage industry of various media outlets that will promote unfounded stories based completely on bias and innuendo about the Redskins now command significant attention.

What this episode regarding the private family challenges Scot McCloughan has recently experienced reveals the brutal nature of yellow journalism in the 21st Century. Despite the proliferation of unsubstantiated claims about McCloughan’s future, several reporters doubled down on traditional journalism principles to reveal the truth.

Promoting alternative facts about the Redskins may acquire new listeners and page views, but you do a huge disservice to the respected craft of sports journalism.

http://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/03/yellow-journalism-is-at-the-heart-of-the-inaccurate-reporting-around-scot-mccloughan/

Wow, someone actually wrote an article on this.

3 minutes ago, brandymac27 said:

I just think it's unfair to speculate regardless nof the circumstances. He had a death in the family, that's a fact, and none of us know any details about this matter. OTOH, if this is related to his drinking, he surely doesn't need a bunch of people who know nothing about what he's going through making judgements, etc about the situation. And it could easily be a combination of both, in which case he needs our support, not our (and the media) speculation and rumors.

All I'm gonna say is we should all just give the man a break until we know what's really going on, and try to support him and the team however we can. I'd hate to be a part of something that caused him to relapse, get worse, etc just because we have so many prognosticators and clairvoyants on ES ( let's not even bring the media into this. That's a whole other ball game).

To some degree, I agree.

On the other hand...buy the ticket, take the ride.

You publicly discuss your alcohol problems, you publicly admit that you are still drinking, and then you take one of the higher profile jobs in sports. I don't think at that point, you can reasonably, "Privacy please."

(Especially when your old lady outs your side piece on Twitter and then starts throwing shade with your Super Bowl rings).

IF Scot leaves the Skins, I'm setting up an alert to know the second she starts tweeting.

18 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

I need to be following Scot's wife just for the small chance of everything going to hell and she let it all fly.

In the meantime, follow Miko Grimes if you haven't already.  It's the Diana Russini episode 24/7/365.

Also her twitter is wildly NFSW, so heads up.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

But he's not providing cover, in any sense of the word.

Things like that happen at companies all the time

After being a skins fan for over 40 years, there comes a point in time where you just shake your head and throw up your hands. I am at that point... I don't think the organizational structure of the skins is very conducive to doing what is necessary to have a stable organization. This is all on Snyder and since he acquired the team there seems to be no end to the drama and chaos when it comes to management. Scott M seemed to have an understanding on what needed to be done but he is nowhere to be found during the NFL Combine is unexplainable. I hope and pray it is not a relapse into alcoholism but that is a disease that is hard to defeat and deal with. We are destined to be a joke in the league and it is sad to see. I'm not sure when any resemblance of competency will be demonstrated by this organization and it is downright depressing.

Archived