Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

2 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Not counting the live interview with our starting QB every Monday morning.

106.7 is owned by Dan (via another company), right?

No way they totally lose access.  But Russell and McNally might get in trouble.  I could see Russell getting sort of blacklisted if he made up too much.  Eventually has to leave because he has no sources left.

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yes, he will always be able to say that until whatever proof is available.

The burden should be (and is, as far as I'm concerned) on him, not the other way around.

He doesn't deserve anything better.

Oh absolutely, that's why journalists usually don't run with something until it's airtight.  That he's had to walk things back fairly far means he absolutely failed to meet his burden, otherwise he'd stick it out.

But I think Russell can't escape that Rotoworld report.  People will remember.  And they will gladly call him out going forward.

I found your problem.

Haha.  I flip between the 2 stations all the time and keep it on whatever is talking about the Redskins at the time.  And Chad was all over the crap today.

But hey, remember, he HATES talking about it because it gives them such TERRIBLE ratings!

I missed it, how did russell walk back his comments?

And if he did that, why in hell are any of you giving him a shred of faith in maybe being right still?

Good lord...

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

106.7 is owned by Dan (via another company), right?

No its owned by CBS but CBS is currently trying to sell its radio division, last I heart

980 is owned by red zebra which owns a few stations, and Snyder owns red zebra.

4 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Scot is grieving and teleworking.

Also drinking and banging reporters 

It's really not a bad gig.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

I missed it, how did russell walk back his comments?

Around 6:00pm he was on 106.7 talking about how Scot was still sent home and that he probably wouldn't be at the combine but that Scot was likely to be back at work in a few days and that the FO would "reevaluate" Scot's role after the draft, sometime in May.

This was, of course, after the doom and gloom Rotoworld report from him where he said Scot was out and had had no influence for a while.

You know why I don't' care about this? Because next season the boys are gonna struggle and not do as well, the iggles will iggle, NY will be tough off and on but Eli will suck too often and the Redskins will win the division and win a home playoff game. So keep that in mind.

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

You know why I don't' care about this? Because next season the boys are gonna struggle and not do as well, the iggles will iggle, NY will be tough off and on but Eli will suck too often and the Redskins will win the division and win a home playoff game. So keep that in mind.

And we'll have romo and 3 rookie studs doug Williams picked with the picks acquired from trading cousins to San fran

2017 - we believe 

I also cant help but love how often we're like "man wish our team would shut up, stop being a Marketing and pr organization first, and just be a good football team. Operate like the Patriots"

Team refuses to entertain ridiculous rumors by the local clown and it's omg why won't they tell us what's going on dysfunction!

20 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I flip between the 2 stations all the time and keep it on whatever is talking about the Redskins at the time

I used to do that. Eventually settled on 980 for a while, but finally took advice from smart people trying to save me grief for years and cut it all out.

Some of those guys are great when they're actually reporting. Problem is there isn't enough to report to bring in ratings, so they go into hypotheticals and just spew nonsense and eventually just stay with the nonsense.

The worst is cooley would be awesome if they didn't pair him with a guy who was only interested in talking about Kirk cousins. 

Doc and bmitch are presently my favorites, when I bother to listen to any of them, because they just call the rest of it out for what it is (most of the time)

The caps and wizards are good and entertaining. Don't waste your time with this garbage. Wait till September, watch footballs, quit feeding the local radio trolls.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

So a thought crossed my mind, what if Russell was fed bad info?

Like, what if Bruce and/or Dan kinda wants Scot gone, but also doesn't want to become public enemy #1.  So he needed to trial balloon Scot being out to see how the public reacted.  If the public didn't riot, then go through with letting him go.  If the public did riot, then just don't go through with it.

So he/they feed(s) their tidbits to a couple people in the organization they know talk to the press (these people may or may not know that they are leaking false narratives), with instructions to leak to a single specific reporter, Chris Russell.

Russell, for his part, becomes a victim of this, he has 3+ sources all saying the same thing, basically that Scot is out, so he runs with it.

People naturally freak the hell out, and Bruce and/or Dan walk back any plans regarding Scot.  Russell, and Russell alone, looks bad.  Bruce and/or Dan go back to the drawing board.

*takes off tinfoil hat*

I think you guys might be tarring and feathering Russell a little too quickly here. I don't like the guy either, but the primary fact that he actually reported was that Scot was "asked to leave Redskins Park" on February 20th and hasn't been back since. Nobody, as far as I've seen, has refuted that. In fact, pretty much the opposite has happened—Scot himself straight-up lied about it and about being at the combine, and the rest of the FO has repeated the grandma explanation even though they weren't mentioning anything about the grandma's death in the weeks leading up to this, when they were being peppered with questions about why Scot wasn't being made available to the media. If this is all just a big nothingburger that's truly the result of an extended grieving/settling-of-affairs process from the grandma's death on February 6th, why is March 1st the first time anyone from the team thought to mention it in response to the avalanche of questions about Scot over the past month?

All the other stuff from the past 24 hours, especially the speculation on a massive alcohol bender, is just that—speculation. But just because we don't have the final answers yet doesn't mean that we can't look at the facts that have been prevented so far and conclude, at the very least, that this is an extremely bizarre series of events.

This part of Keim's article is really all I needed to hear.

"Allen said McCloughan remains in place, doing the work the team hired him to do. Multiple agents have said they've been in contact with McCloughan in the past week; one said he spoke to him three times. "

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

I also cant help but love how often we're like "man wish our team would shut up, stop being a Marketing and pr organization first, and just be a good football team. Operate like the Patriots"

Team refuses to entertain ridiculous rumors by the local clown and it's omg why won't they tell us what's going on dysfunction!

Whatever the rumor is or isn't, the FACT remains that our GM (if he still is that) is not at the NFL combine for reasons that are odd, to say the least. That's definitely not a situation the Patriots would be in, media or no media. 

4 minutes ago, Hubbs said:

I think you guys might be tarring and feathering Russell a little too quickly here. I don't like the guy either, but the primary fact that he actually reported was that Scot was "asked to leave Redskins Park" on February 20th and hasn't been back since.

Wrong.

He reported he was "sent home"

Which is what an employer does when a work-a-holic (LOL SEE WHAT I DID) has a family issue come up and obviously won't leave on their own. They are told to go home, take care of business with the family, come back ready to work and have some closure, put it behind you, and be with family. The rest of the staff will manage things in his absence, team isn't going anywhere, etc.

2 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Whatever the rumor is or isn't, the FACT remains that our GM (if he still is that) is not at the NFL combine for reasons that are odd, to say the least. That's definitely not a situation the Patriots would be in, media or no media. 

Yes. Our gm isn't at the combine, it's less than ideal.

If there was a death (or a birth for that matter) then things become a little easier to understand. Certainly not odd.

But we have other people there. This isn't a big deal unless you stretch it to him being replaced by Doug williams.

@DogofWar1 you had me with the first sentence. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people that just like to screw with him inside the organization.

Then you kept going and lost me immediately :(

Well assuming Russell didn't totally set aside all journalistic integrity, it'd be tough for 3+ people in the organization to feed the same person back information with such specificity that Russell could make up the Rotoworld report.

And there's a reason I put on the tinfoil first.  But frankly Allen has to know he's on thin ice with the fan base.  The end of 2014 was almost the end for him, and that was because of the fans.  Too many opposing fans in the stands, it really got to Dan, who, as reports mentioned, was ready to clean house of everyone.  Scot bringing hope to the fanbase basically saved Allen's job.  If there's an internal power struggle, Allen needs to know that he'll survive the backlash, he could win the battle (oust Scot), and then lose the war (gets fired when all season ticket holders sell to opposing fans for 16 weeks).

I have to imagine Allen wouldn't exactly be a hot commodity out there if he was ousted.  We talk about Scot's job prospects if he's fired from a 3rd franchise, but at least he has some results.  Allen doesn't really look all that good at all.

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Public perception matters. The redskins are dumb for letting media speculation run amok. 

The Pats have the luxury of giving the finger to the media because they win Superbowls left and right.

8 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

something is weird.  Dan Snyder is quick to fire someone so either they are trying to hide his drinking problem and give him a break.  Or simply waiting for him to make a mistake and then fire him

I keep thinking (and maybe hoping at this point?) that's what it is. He started down a familiar and dangerous road, so Dan & Bruce are giving him some time to sort it out. A chance to get it together.

I don't know, maybe that's the least damaging scenario? I honestly don't know anymore.

14 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Nah, they're into illegally filming practices, deflating footballs, etc, but because they win, they're allowed to prance around like a victim

22 minutes ago, Hubbs said:

I think you guys might be tarring and feathering Russell a little too quickly here. I don't like the guy either, but the primary fact that he actually reported was that Scot was "asked to leave Redskins Park" on February 20th and hasn't been back since. Nobody, as far as I've seen, has refuted that. In fact, pretty much the opposite has happened—Scot himself straight-up lied about it and about being at the combine, and the rest of the FO has repeated the grandma explanation even though they weren't mentioning anything about the grandma's death in the weeks leading up to this, when they were being peppered with questions about why Scot wasn't being made available to the media. If this is all just a big nothingburger that's truly the result of an extended grieving/settling-of-affairs process from the grandma's death on February 6th, why is March 1st the first time anyone from the team thought to mention it in response to the avalanche of questions about Scot over the past month?

All the other stuff from the past 24 hours, especially the speculation on a massive alcohol bender, is just that—speculation. But just because we don't have the final answers yet doesn't mean that we can't look at the facts that have been prevented so far and conclude, at the very least, that this is an extremely bizarre series of events.

The thing is, they don't HAVE to refute it.  They don't have to do anything.

If someone says "hey purbeast doesn't have a penis" that doesn't make it true if I don't refute it and just don't say anything.

(and this isn't directed at you personally but at this general mentality that the Redskins must be hiding something since they didn't refute Cooley's talk about him drinking.)

Archived