Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

48 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

The team really would not be so "dramatic" in most of your eyes, if you didn't participate in the drama.

Instead of accusing him of drinking again, you might as well accuse him of being the zodiac killer.

I mean, you have the exact same amount of evidence of both, and that's ZERO.

If he was fired from his last two jobs for killing someone, I might be wondering about just that. 

The whole "you fans help cause this" stuff is just tired. The Redskins simply make this kind of thing way too easy with the way they run their operation. I am no longer surprised by anything they do. 

No, we don't know the facts yet, but we do know that something stinks. 

50 minutes ago, drowland said:

I think you're underselling the interview process.  Ozzie Newsome talked about it and it's not just about Q&A.  Agents prep players on how to answer questions.  It's the presence of an individual as he enters the room.  He said you could tell who a true badass (the good kind) was and who wasn't based off that.  And you have the opportunity to interview 60 guys.  I heard another GM say players rarely move up the board after the combine, they more then likely move down it or off it.  Part of that's from the medical piece and the drug testing, and it's also from the interviews.

Oh and one more thing for those saying Scot missing the Senior Bowl or Combine isn't a big deal, his two drafts here overall haven't been that great.  Maybe he needs to be at these things.

I'm not underselling it by an inch. But it's just a part of the whole stuff, and it's behind closed doors. While everything else is public.

I was just saying that it's not big deal if Scot doesn't attend some (or all of them?) as he has enough people he trusts to conduct them. And if need be he can still make a phone call.

Btw, if his drafts weren't that great the last two years by attending the Combine and Senior Bowl, not being there may also have better draft results as the process is changed.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Responding to it won't end it. It can remove reasonable doubt, however.

Right now, that dickhead Chris Russell could  damn near say anything, and with no one to counter, they know they can say anything

Add Rich, the douche, Tandler to this list. he starts more crap than anyone else.

So now if we make a bunch of FA signings its gonna be spun like " see, the old heads are back in charge, Scot would never approve of these type/this many guys" LOL

Its almost predictable with the "dysfunction" narrative-pushing reporters. 

Scot said he'd rather overpay if Kirk proved himself last year. Yet there is tension within the org with Bruce&Snyder wanting to sell jerseys so they are going to sign Cousins without Scots approval.... even though Scot said months ago he'd overpay? Right. He's so pissed he can't be around them this week and is using the death of his grandmother as an excuse.

Any move or statement made this week at the combine will be proof that the transition of power is moving from Scot to Bruce. God I cant wait for Kirks deal and Free Agency to drown out these clowns. 

We conducted a ton of interviews at the Senior Bowl. The rest of the HUGE scouting department, Jay, Manusky and assistants will conduct them this week at the combine. Scot will be conducting more at pro days and prospect visits to Redskins park.

These final events leading up to the draft like the combine are moreso to confirm all the hard work and scouting done on these players all year. Unexpectedly slow 40 time? Go back and check the tape to make sure the guys play speed is ok. Medical issue? Move him down the board because of the risk factor. Things like that. Even though the guy loves the draft and would rather be there, its not a huge deal like we're making it out to be. Scot probably already knows who he wants in each round and has 5 backup options, and has played every trade down scenario out in exercises with the scouting department 100 times.

It has been said tons of times that Jay, the rest of the coaches and Scot for the most part agree fundamentally on what they look for in a player. And typically reach a consensus on draft day of who to select because theyre all on the same page. Scot will trust what the rest of his staff comes back to him with after the combine, and on the off chance he wants to hear it for himself he can do follow ups at pro days and visits.

6 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

So now if we make a bunch of FA signings its gonna be spun like " see, the old heads are back in charge, Scot would never approve of these type/this many guys" LOL

Its almost predictable with the "dysfunction" narrative-pushing reporters. 

Scot said he'd rather overpay if Kirk proved himself last year. Yet there is tension within the org with Bruce&Snyder wanting to sell jerseys so they are going to sign Cousins without Scots approval.... even though Scot said months ago he'd overpay? Right. He's so pissed he can't be around them this week and is using the death of his grandmother as an excuse.

Any move or statement made this week at the combine will be proof that the transition of power is moving from Scot to Bruce. God I cant wait for Kirks deal and Free Agency to drown out these clowns. 

We conducted a ton of interviews at the Senior Bowl. The rest of the HUGE scouting department, Jay, Manusky and assistants will conduct them this week at the combine. Scot will be conducting more at pro days and prospect visits to Redskins park.

These final events leading up to the draft like the combine are moreso to confirm all the hard work and scouting done on these players all year. Unexpectedly slow 40 time? Go back and check the tape to make sure the guys play speed is ok. Medical issue? Move him down the board because of the risk factor. Things like that. Even though the guy loves the draft and would rather be there, its not a huge deal like we're making it out to be. Scot probably already knows who he wants in each round and has 5 backup options, and has played every trade down scenario out in exercises with the scouting department 100 times.

It has been said tons of times that Jay, the rest of the coaches and Scot for the most part agree fundamentally on what they look for in a player. And typically reach a consensus on draft day of who to select because theyre all on the same page. Scot will trust what the rest of his staff comes back to him with after the combine, and on the off chance he wants to hear it for himself he can do follow ups at pro days and visits.

And yet Cooley can call him a drunk on Snyder's airwaves with no pushback, let alone reprisals.

To me, that remains the fundamental issue. I don't think Cooley is Snyder's mouthpiece, but I don't think Cooley would throw anyone under the bus unless he had some signal that it was okay to do so.

None of us know what's going on.  But out of the ordinary things happen when a loved one passes.  It is very possible that they originally had a funeral planned on Feb. 13th like it said and then something happened within the family (close relatives/family could not make it) so they pushed the date back.  If she were cremated, it's not hard to believe that they rescheduled a memorial service and burial of her ashes.  

Or it's very possible that the family member that had the obituary put out in the paper jumped the gun and had it released before official plans were agreed upon by the entire family.  When my wife's aunt passed away, it took over a week before an obituary even came out due to her cousins having to arrange for travel to get back to their home town.  Then it was another week before they had a memorial service and then they had a private burial many days after that.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I rest my case

You'll never find it again with your head buried in the sand. :movefast:

Let's see how this plays out. All we know is that Scot Mc was our draft saviour. Absolute scouting geek, 24/7. The combine and all things draft related are his football life. More than anything. That is the reason we loved the fact we snagged him.

My guess is he would interview combine invitees with the ashes of his beloved grandmother in a football helmet in the room with him before he missed out on attending Indy.

If you really think something doesn't add up here, well I find that staggering. And Im not here to be negative, just discussing the situation as I see it.

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

Meh, doesn't mean the truth will be accepted.  "Yeah, his grandma died, but can you account for 2:35 AM three Wednesdays ago?  Do you have video evidence from seventeen different angles that you were NOT drinking?  With a sworn affidavit?  You know, if you just gave us the drama we've been used to for 20 years instead of this BS functional team, then we wouldn't be having this discussion . . ."

I pointed this out earlier, but it needs to be said. There seems to be a belief that if something happened, it was that he fell off the wagon. From everything I know, he was never on a wagon in the first place.

I re-read that ESPN article today. In both San Fran (Hi, Predicto) and Seattle, he sort of slowly fell apart. There was never a dramatic issue. In both cases, it was basically, "So, things aren't going well, are they?" from his boss and he more or less showed himself out the door.

We are deep into Redskinsology here, but his wife's Twitter episode was concerning. The Kirk contract saga can only be described as a debacle. He was given a gag order. Cooley openly questioned his sobriety. And someone started the rumor that he was "sent home." (I don't believe that journalists just make this stuff up whole cloth).

There is enough there to reasonably speculate that Scot's relationship with SOMEONE is fraying. And that is a pattern he's already followed twice.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Combine is so overrrated it's amazing.

That's guys running in shirts and shorts. When does that happen on any given sunday? Guys train with athletics to make a decent 40 times in shorts and shirts but some wouldn't beat Rich Eisen with their pads on...

And there's enough technology nowadays so that Scot can still call Jay or whoever he wants during an interview to ask a question or two. He'll have every tapes he wants as well. And I'm still pretty sure he has enough people whom he trusts their evaluating process to not attend himself.

Come on, GMs are accustomed to have scouts going back and forth throughout the country to watch meaningless games in meaningless stadium with tons of meaningless players to see if one of them is worth it all year long. Read their reports asks for their opinions and make a decision on each of them without seeing much tape mostly.

But the combine? Seriously? If you want an information on someone participating in, just google it, you'll have tons of highlights and reports from those many sites around the web to get every information you need.

Not being in the room for interviews? He can just give a few questions to the guys in the room, film the interview and watch the answers.

The Combine is the place to be because the NFL does it with much fanfare, but I really, really doubt those guys learns much anew from a prospect from this. And then you also have the private sessions, the regional ones, and so on, and so on...

Ease down DGF. Scot won't be on the picture, but he won't miss a bit regarding his work about evaluating prospects. Really.

If you honestly can not understand the significance of our GM not being at the combine then I have no idea idea what you are thinking.  It really doesn't matter what you or other posters think about the combine, there is a reason every single personnel guy from every team in the league is always there. SM has said himself that the personal interviews are very important.  Even if it's true that the combine is not that important, which of course is only your opinion, it is very very significant that our GM is not even there.   Not sure how you can't see that. 

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

And yet Cooley can call him a drunk on Snyder's airwaves with no pushback, let alone reprisals.

To me, that remains the fundamental issue. I don't think Cooley is Snyder's mouthpiece, but I don't think Cooley would throw anyone under the bus unless he had some signal that it was okay to do so.

Cooley made it very clear it was an unsourced opinion so technically he didn't do anything wrong. It was just morally and ethically a stupid thing to say. Who is to say he wasn't reprimanded in private and instead of continuing to bring it up via apologies and such on air they opted to sweep it under the rug and move on from it? Tons of journalists make asinine assumptions all the time, some not as harmful as others but still unprofessional nonetheless. You can't really punish everyone from speculating. 

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Combine is so overrrated it's amazing.

That's guys running in shirts and shorts. When does that happen on any given sunday? Guys train with athletics to make a decent 40 times in shorts and shirts but some wouldn't beat Rich Eisen with their pads on...

And there's enough technology nowadays so that Scot can still call Jay or whoever he wants during an interview to ask a question or two. He'll have every tapes he wants as well. And I'm still pretty sure he has enough people whom he trusts their evaluating process to not attend himself.

Come on, GMs are accustomed to have scouts going back and forth throughout the country to watch meaningless games in meaningless stadium with tons of meaningless players to see if one of them is worth it all year long. Read their reports asks for their opinions and make a decision on each of them without seeing much tape mostly.

But the combine? Seriously? If you want an information on someone participating in, just google it, you'll have tons of highlights and reports from those many sites around the web to get every information you need.

Not being in the room for interviews? He can just give a few questions to the guys in the room, film the interview and watch the answers.

The Combine is the place to be because the NFL does it with much fanfare, but I really, really doubt those guys learns much anew from a prospect from this. And then you also have the private sessions, the regional ones, and so on, and so on...

Ease down DGF. Scot won't be on the picture, but he won't miss a bit regarding his work about evaluating prospects. Really.

If it's so useless, why waste the time to send the entire decision making team to the event each and every year?  It clearly has some value or the HCs and GMs wouldn't bother.  Or they'd just send the scouts or a film crew to send back the video.

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Cooley made it very clear it was an unsourced opinion so technically he didn't do anything wrong. It was just morally and ethically a stupid thing to say. Who is to say he wasn't reprimanded in private and instead of continuing to bring it up via apologies and such on air they opted to sweep it under the rug and move on from it? Tons of journalists make asinine assumptions all the time, some not as harmful as others but still unprofessional nonetheless. You can't really punish everyone from speculating. 

I mean, I suppose that's possible.

It's also possible that Scot really is cleaning out his grandmother's basement this week.

Separately, I could almost buy it - even with Scot's history and the Redskin's history.

It's the two issues side by side within a week of each other that's the problem for me.

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

If it's so useless, why waste the time to send the entire decision making team to the event each and every year?  It clearly has some value or they wouldn't bother.

logically you are correct. however, anything the nfl can do to ensure they are a year round interest will be made into a "must see" event. 

If it's so useless, why waste the time to send the entire decision making team to the event each and every year?  It clearly has some value or they wouldn't bother.

I think it's also the first time FO staff from every team all have a chance to get together for an extended period of time to talk. Maybe find out about FA, this and that.

The combine is more than just the players being drafted. I personally think the Pro-days are where you can really find out about the players you're interested in. If scott wasn't at any of those I would be genuinely worried.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Key ingredient is Cooley in no way, shape, form, or fashion is a journalist.  They pay him to give his opinion and he gave it.

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

You'll never find it again with your head buried in the sand. :movefast:

Let's see how this plays out. All we know is that Scot Mc was our draft saviour. Absolute scouting geek, 24/7. The combine and all things draft related are his football life. More than anything. That is the reason we loved the fact we snagged him.

My guess is he would interview combine invitees with the ashes of his beloved grandmother in a football helmet in the room with him before he missed out on attending Indy.

If you really think something doesn't add up here, well I find that staggering. And Im not here to be negative, just discussing the situation as I see it.

Okay...

Like i said, whenever you have something more than "Theres CLEARLY something going on!" Or " You think the world is perfect?", Ill be all ears.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I mean, I suppose that's possible.

It's also possible that Scot really is cleaning out his grandmother's basement this week.

Separately, I could almost buy it - even with Scot's history and the Redskin's history.

It's the two issues side by side within a week of each other that's the problem for me.

It's also possible that media have nothing to talk about and when Cooley made his stupid assumptions, he basically gave Carte Blanche to all journalists to say and "report" whatever they want because there are no repercussions. 

Just now, onedrop said:

logically you are correct. however, anything the nfl can do to ensure they are a year round interest will be made into a "must see" event. 

The NFL can make it an event all they want to, that doesn't mean all the coaches and GMs have to go.  Unless you're suggesting there's some under the table mandate from Goddell that HCs and GMs must participate.

Key ingredient is Cooley in no way, shape, form, or fashion is a journalist.  They pay him to give his opinion and he gave it.

They don't pay him to slander his co-workers, do they?

I just feel like any host in any other city who dropped that bomb would get a one-day suspension. I mean, that just feels borderline actionable to me.

Archived