Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Exactly.  I don't mean to sound rude here but these posts that are still claiming it's no big deal for a GM to skip the combine are driving me crazy.  Of course it's a big deal.  It never happens.  Ever. So yeah, this is a big deal.  Wake up  folks. 

Combine is so overrrated it's amazing.

That's guys running in shirts and shorts. When does that happen on any given sunday? Guys train with athletics to make a decent 40 times in shorts and shirts but some wouldn't beat Rich Eisen with their pads on...

And there's enough technology nowadays so that Scot can still call Jay or whoever he wants during an interview to ask a question or two. He'll have every tapes he wants as well. And I'm still pretty sure he has enough people whom he trusts their evaluating process to not attend himself.

Come on, GMs are accustomed to have scouts going back and forth throughout the country to watch meaningless games in meaningless stadium with tons of meaningless players to see if one of them is worth it all year long. Read their reports asks for their opinions and make a decision on each of them without seeing much tape mostly.

But the combine? Seriously? If you want an information on someone participating in, just google it, you'll have tons of highlights and reports from those many sites around the web to get every information you need.

Not being in the room for interviews? He can just give a few questions to the guys in the room, film the interview and watch the answers.

The Combine is the place to be because the NFL does it with much fanfare, but I really, really doubt those guys learns much anew from a prospect from this. And then you also have the private sessions, the regional ones, and so on, and so on...

Ease down DGF. Scot won't be on the picture, but he won't miss a bit regarding his work about evaluating prospects. Really.

6 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Do any of you believe Allen is trying to truly support our GM by not revealing what is actually happening?  I know some of you believe someone high up in Redskins management is using Cooley to undermine Scott.

I don't know what's going on...but I also don't look at the Skins' silence as "Here we go again, dysfunction!" lol...

2 minutes ago, DM72 said:

I agree with that. If this whole thing is nothing but some BS, the Redskins can put an end to it. So far, they chose not to.

Responding to it won't end it. It can remove reasonable doubt, however.

Right now, that dickhead Chris Russell could  damn near say anything, and with no one to counter, they know they can say anything

I don't really take the Skins PR debacle as necessarily a bad thing for Scot.

I mean, when has the FO nailed a PR situation, like, ever?

Three ring circus is the default setting for our PR.  I refuse to read too deeply into who from within the Skins says what until people with power start saying things of consequence.

26 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Exactly.  I don't mean to sound rude here but these posts that are still claiming it's no big deal for a GM to skip the combine are driving me crazy.  Of course it's a big deal.  It never happens.  Ever. So yeah, this is a big deal.  Wake up  folks. 

Bingo.  I'm shaking my head at those who blame the media for this.  The super scout you brought in based on his acumen for college football talent isn't at the combine and it's the media's fault that this is a story????  As Key would say, "Come on, man!"

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

, folks just don't like Russell,

sorry but this is bull****

russell has a terrible reputation and his nonsense is easily and summarily dismissed because of a reputation he and he alone has earned

some people have a history of being right when everyone else says they're wrong. russell is the exact opposite of that.

he's a pot stirrer to boot. that's not just his go-to move, it's his only move.

After sleeping on this news, I have a few points to share.

1. Scot missed the Senior Bowl when he was snowed-in despite Bruce saying he would send a helicopter for him if needed (Scot said something to the effect of "dont be ridiculous"). Point is, he knows there are other opportunities to interview players and one event isnt going to throw off an entire seasons worth of scouting. The board has been set for weeks. I think Scot really does base the majority of his picks off of film study and with the same staff intact for the past 2 years, I think Scot trusts them to ask the questions in interviews he would. Hell, theyve probably been discussing what they'd like to ask certain players for weeks. If Scot wants to follow up on anything he feels wasnt cleared up by the staff in interviews, he will go to pro days to ask them himself or bring them in for a visit. I think dealing with PERSONAL & FAMILY issues are a damn good reason to lean on your staff at the combine. 

2. The idea that this is all because Scot doesnt want to pay Kirk and the team went over his head and are attempting to anyway is a giant joke. He came out HIMSELF and said "I'd rather overpay and be sure than sign him now and be wrong" 

3. Even if its not the funeral directly, he has every right to keep the reasoning private when it comes to his family. There are a million other things that happen in result of a death of a loved one. And its not abnormal for people to go on drinking benders during those situations either. If the man needs time to grieve in his own way, including drinking, I'll he damned if I judge him for it.

I'd actually judge the team more if they fired him over a drinking slip up after a death in the family.

TL/DR: The draft board is set and there are so many other opportunities to interview players. Scot also wants Kirk here even if they have to overpay, and couldnt be less related to this "story". And lastly, Family always comes first, and Chris Russell is scum for picking at this in attempt to create the dysfunction narrative yet again.

People can't have any damn privacy anymore. It's gross. 

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

sorry but this is bull****

russell has a terrible reputation and his nonsense is easily and summarily dismissed because of a reputation he and he alone has earned

some people have a history of being right when everyone else says they're wrong. russell is the exact opposite of that.

he's a pot stirrer to boot. that's not just his go-to move, it's his only move.

He's a coward

Its also interesting to note that the Washington Post, which has run a few hit pieces this past month, in their last post added to stoke the flames that "it was noticeable that McCloughan sat away from the rest of the Redskins delegation at the Senior bowl during open practices."  Then they add in the tidbit that "McCloughan routinely sat in the stands at about the 50 yard line while Allen, Gruden and others often congregated in the End Zone stands."

Yeah, theres a shocker, the talent evaluator sitting at the 50 yard line preferring that instead of the endzone...

19 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Combine is so overrrated it's amazing.

That's guys running in shirts and shorts. When does that happen on any given sunday? Guys train with athletics to make a decent 40 times in shorts and shirts but some wouldn't beat Rich Eisen with their pads on...

And there's enough technology nowadays so that Scot can still call Jay or whoever he wants during an interview to ask a question or two. He'll have every tapes he wants as well. And I'm still pretty sure he has enough people whom he trusts their evaluating process to not attend himself.

Come on, GMs are accustomed to have scouts going back and forth throughout the country to watch meaningless games in meaningless stadium with tons of meaningless players to see if one of them is worth it all year long. Read their reports asks for their opinions and make a decision on each of them without seeing much tape mostly.

But the combine? Seriously? If you want an information on someone participating in, just google it, you'll have tons of highlights and reports from those many sites around the web to get every information you need.

Not being in the room for interviews? He can just give a few questions to the guys in the room, film the interview and watch the answers.

The Combine is the place to be because the NFL does it with much fanfare, but I really, really doubt those guys learns much anew from a prospect from this. And then you also have the private sessions, the regional ones, and so on, and so on...

Ease down DGF. Scot won't be on the picture, but he won't miss a bit regarding his work about evaluating prospects. Really.

I get your point, and for the most part your scouting report isn't going to change at all from the Combine. You make a great case on how overrated the combine is for prospects.

But to say it's not a big deal for your head of football operations to miss this weekend is wrong. Everyone is there, scouts, GMs, agents. It's a time to get to know prospects and also feel out agents on potential FA targets. This is huge. 

1 hour ago, KingGibbs said:

Say what you want, but it never turns out well when your wife becomes your voice on Twitter.

Never ..... ever.  I think that would be a ground rulebook I ever got in such a position, I think that HAS to be a convo with the wife upfront.

6 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

But to say it's not a big deal for your head of football operations to miss this weekend is wrong. Everyone is there, scouts, GMs, agents. It's a time to get to know prospects and also feel out agents on potential FA targets. This is huge. 

The fact that everyone is here, the press is here, agents trying to reach out to you to tell you how their guy is great and would be a great fit for Joe Barry's Defense 4-3 in Washington alongside David Bruton.

Yes, that is some freaking huge Public Relation job. Which is Bruce's courtyard. The guy loves that, and he'll be here.

It's more of a PR job than anything else. He won't have a real feeling of 'being in the same room with the prospect, a few feet away from him' but besides that? Not missing a thing. It'll be quickly forgotten.

@Wildbunny True. But it seems like Scot has a great reputation around the league, maybe it would be a good time to swindle a deal for Sheldon Richardson? Either way, Scot is a great ambassador for the Redskins and it raises questions and red flags. Last night it sounded like Scot was done here, nothing would make me happier if he shows up in Indy on Sunday and shuts up everyone

22 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I'd actually judge the team more if they fired him over a drinking slip up after a death in the family.

This is a great point.

Why would the Redskins use a death in the family as a reason for his absence only to fire him? That would be an extremely ugly move and would have huge PR backlash. 

6 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

This is a great point.

Why would the Redskins use a death in the family as a reason for his absence only to fire him? That would be an extremely ugly move and would have huge PR backlash. 

Why I say folks should relax a bit.

40 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Bingo.  I'm shaking my head at those who blame the media for this.  The super scout you brought in based on his acumen for college football talent isn't at the combine and it's the media's fault that this is a story????  As Key would say, "Come on, man!"

if a mans track record can be used to speculate on his present then the same precedent can be used for the media. its no one elses fault they report BS on a regular basis and no one else is to blame if they arent trusted.

Archived