Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

9 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

Chris Russell of 106.7 The Fan in D.C. reports Redskins GM Scot McCloughan has lost all power in the organization.

Reporting live on air, Russell stated president Bruce Allen, coach Jay Gruden, and scouts Alex Santos and Scott Campbell, and personnel executive Doug Williams are now running the team. McCloughan "has nothing to do with anything and has not for a very long time," according to Russell. McCloughan allegedly has been setting up the funeral for his grandmother. Online records show that McCloughan's 100-year-old grandmother passed away on February 6. The funeral occurred on February 13, and the woman was buried the next day.

The writing is on the wall - GMSM is gone. 

• Bruce slaps the muzzle on him supposedly because everyone needs to focus on personnel and interviews are a distraction -  as if the media speculation that caused is no less of a distraction
  • On-air speculation about him falling off the wagon receives zero response from Redskins park
  • Doesn't show up to one of the most important events of the off-season because he needs to plan a funeral for a grandmother whom died weeks before the combine - what happened to focusing on personnel?

You can come up with whatever excuses and mental gymnastics routines you want to discount each of these things on their own but I just don't see how you can ignore the reality of the situation when you consider all of these things have happened in the matter of a few weeks. 

If you had to bet money on which is more likely - tell me where you'd place your bets....

***GMSM is abusing alcohol again and Bruce n' friends don't want to immediately let him go - he has been asked to work on his personal issues and come back when he's ready. They're giving him a shot to get his life in order before they fire a huge asset

***There is a power struggle between GMSM and Bruce n' friends and they are slowly strangling his power and influence, while simultaneously leaking reputation smearing info to help grease the wheels on their grand plan to get rid of him. Just a power play of Danny/Bruce VS. Scott and they think the organization will be better off without him.

• ***All reports have been true - this is a ****ty string of coincidences that has led to ridiculous speculation that will all blow over once the draft comes along

***Aliens

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Remember that McC has never been a big combine guy and I bet most GMs would agree at least in private. He believes much more in game tape. I don't think it matters all that much if he's there, he can read all the #s of the 40 times and bench press reps and all that and we'll have our normal scouts there anyway.

He may not be a big 40 yard dash and weight lift guy, but he did say he put a lot of weight on the interviews and getting inside a player's head to get a sense of their hunger and drive.

Again, I don't know if this is something, but it's more than strange.

8 minutes ago, dyst said:

You mean winning teams that don't have 20+ years of dysfunction? No this probably wouldn't be a big deal but with this team I don't count anything out. 

I guess I can understand this view. This team has had so much dysfunction that whenever any unusual situation comes up we embrace for the worst possible scenarios. 

If this turns out to be complete BS and overblown nonsense, Russell needs to be fired.  I do think the old adage, "where there's smoke, there's fire" applies here unfortunately.  My best guess is that at worst, SM is drinking again.  And if that's true, I don't see how that's Dan, or the organization's fault.  I do think Allen needs to step up and hold some sort of presser to try and quell some of these rumors ASAP.  

Russells story just smells so bad.  It doesn't pass the sniff test.  I can get a situation where Scotty Mac gets sent home from the Redskins, and the team pushes him out the door.  What I cant get is why, if that was the case, both him and the team would say it was a death in the family.  That makes no sense to say UNLESS it is a death in the family.  You would have to know you would be caught out on that lie big time.  And why would the Redskins protect someone who they have now cut from their organization?

Im not saying its impossible, but it doesnt make sense for Scott, his wife, his agent, and the Redskins to all say the same thing if its a lie.

10 minutes ago, Bang said:

It is callous, no argument. The entire story, from Cooley speculating he's drunk to Russel looking for ties to the Russians and everything..

If it's the death, It's been a month..  you have to be able to do your job, especially when it is the most important few days of your job's year. (at least to our fan perspective. More below.)

I think the gramma dying has nothing to do with why he isn't there. Especially if there is any veracity to him being sent home on the 20th.

I can only see a few possibilities.

1. He truly needs more than a month to get over gramma, even if it means disrupting one of the most critical aspects of his job.
I don't see that as a positive.

2. He has had a falling out with Allen or Snyder, probably over the Cousins negotiations, but which way he stood on that , i do not know. If I had to bet a dollar, i'd say he was on the "against" side. Snyder and Allen have to be able to see the dollar signs that can be made selling hope in the franchise QB. In terms of marketing, it's a better option than starting over.

3. He's got some other personal stuff going on. I wouldn't want to speculate, but with his history it has to be considered. I don't like to talk about those things about these guys because it's really really not my business,and it is really really something i have absolutely no knowledge of.

4. Being at the combine isn't really as important as the fanfare would have us believe. Most players and a lot of FO guys around the league think it's just a dog and pony show.. frankly, even if you feel you don't have to do any evaluation, to be there among the rest of the league has to be a positive. But, with video and internet, anything can be viewed almost instantly anyway, so his presence may not actually be required for his purposes. The interview opportunities.. i imagine there is other chances to interview your potential candidates between now and the draft,, but having them all in one place is certainly convenient.

5. The Combine represents a possibility to fall off the wagon. He may be staying away because the atmosphere among all of his peers could lead him back to drinking. If i remember right, when the problems were brought up at the time of his hiring, the knock was that he didn't drink all day every day, but when he hit these things he couldn't quit. Went too far. Could be he is staying in contact but staying away physically to stay sober.

~Bang

Bang summed up the possibilities very well.  I like to try to give my thoughts on each one of them if I may.

1> Seriously doubt you need  a month to get over someone dyeing that is 100 years old.  Yes this is from my perspective, but seriously such longevity should be celebrated.  Certainly I don't see in any way this affecting his ability to go to the combine.  Wasn't it last year we had the huge snow storm and he couldn't  get out of his house and Allen said man I will send a helicopter if I have to so you can be there?  There was a story that circulated about that.

2> Very possible and since Allen has been saying now for a while KC is our QB and he will be here likely probable.  This fan base, even though a small minority would like to see KC gone for various reason, as a whole, will not tolerate a 5-11 season while "we look for a QB".  Plus KC signs long term you know how much merchandize sales are going to go up because of it?  This is the advertising side of business.

3> This is my bet, and I will live it as Bang put it eloquently.  Lets not forget two other teams, as good as SM was for them parted ways with him because of this problem.  And seriously would Cooley have been that "brave" to say this about Scott on the air if he didn't have strong sources that this is what is going on?  Also if he was speculating that much you think the Redskins wouldn't have made some kind of statement?  When there is smoke as they say.

4> Only part I disagree with Bang.  It is very important for a GM to be at the combine.  You do interviews with the prospects you want, you get a feel of what they are about.  Hell you even get to know some of the players that your scouting reports say stay away from.

5>Bottom line is if you can't stop drinking you don't drink at all.  Honestly I can't believe there are many out there that can be  half way. 

First of all I think its totally a dirt ball move to for Russell to bring in the details about the dudes dead grandma. The date of her funeral and the day she was buried really shouldn't be something spread through his blog or whatever the hell it is. Thats tasteless and disrespectful. And all because he is dying for the next story. Pitiful. Loss of much respect on that one. 

With the Redskins you have to assume any possibility. I personally believe this is Bruce going to the hostile take over. I dont think he was ever ok with people saying he was the problem and that he couldnt be a real GM. 

Also the last time Mrs. GM was tweeting didnt turn out well for him. That she has taken it back up is bad news 

2 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Russells story just smells so bad.  It doesn't pass the sniff test.  I can get a situation where Scotty Mac gets sent home from the Redskins, and the team pushes him out the door.  What I cant get is why, if that was the case, both him and the team would say it was a death in the family.  That makes no sense to say UNLESS it is a death in the family.  You would have to know you would be caught out on that lie big time.  And why would the Redskins protect someone who they have now cut from their organization?

Im not saying its impossible, but it doesnt make sense for Scott, his wife, his agent, and the Redskins to all say the same thing if its a lie.

Just guessing that it is possibly rehab. It is not the teams place to make any kind of statement on that issue. And protecting the employee would be the right thing to do in that case. 

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

If this turns out to be complete BS and overblown nonsense, Russell needs to be fired.  I do think the old adage, "where there's smoke, there's fire" applies here unfortunately.  My best guess is that at worst, SM is drinking again.  And if that's true, I don't see how that's Dan, or the organization's fault.  I do think Allen needs to step up and hold some sort of presser to try and quell some of these rumors ASAP.  

IMO it would the teams fault because they knew of the previous firings for this very issue. And yet they still elected to hire Scott. I am not saying that he is drinking again. But with the way it is being handled that seems like the logical conclusion to me.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

IMO it would the teams fault because they knew of the previous firings for this very issue. And yet they still elected to hire Scott. I am not saying that he is drinking again. But with the way it is being handled that seems like the logical conclusion to me.

I disagree.  If the drinking speculation is true, the team took a chance on a guy who assured them he wasn't having problems anymore who then continued to have those problems...that's not really the team's fault.  

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

I disagree.  If the drinking speculation is true, the team took a chance on a guy who assured them he wasn't having problems anymore who then continued to have those problems...that's not really the team's fault.  

You need to think about the history of dysfunction since Snyder bought the team and ask yourself if it was worth taking that risk. That is all I am saying. There is no denying Scott is a hell of a talent evaluator. There is also no denying that his issues caused problems at other organizations. 

41 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I've encountered a few people over the years who have in one way or another touched/worked/interacted with various levels of the Redskins, and they all say it's a ****show and the chaos is real, and it starts at the top. I've always wanted to deny it, but it isn't like the team's ever given off the perception of stability. 

I've heard the same things from people who've been there. This is why I'm always much more likely to notice those red flags early. 

People need to realize, the media rarely starts talking about things like this with zero evidence. Do they speculate? Yes. Proven wrong at times? Yes, of course. Get seduced by jumping on a story too soon so they can get some brief notoriety? Yes. But that doesn't equate to making things up out of thin air.  

This whole situation, again, gets back to what I've said before about the team: transparency. That doesn't mean broadcasting all of your plans. It just means that people can look at your organization from a distance and have a pretty clear understanding of how it's run and how it operates. It's always confusion with this group. Always. And confusion BREEDS speculation from the rabble like us. 

There is definitely something going on with Scot, whether it's drinking or some sort of power struggle or all of the above, but there is no way this is solely down to the death of a 100-year-old grandmother nearly a month ago. 

1 minute ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Bruce Allen just commented that Scot will be back on the job as soon as he takes care of family business, not getting **** canned... story was on pft 

And this will prove my speculation as I posted in another thread that Scott is having drinking problems and the Redskins have asked him to take some time off and get it fixed.  In such a case, bravo to the Skins for taking care of their people the right way and not casting them aside when they need help.

10 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

JP FinlayVerified account @JPFinlayCSN

"It's all bullsh**, he's not fired" what I just heard from a source I know and trust on Scot McCloughan. Story to come.

Forgive my ignorance, but who said he had been fired?  I wasn't under that impression at all.  I simply thought his responsibilities had been greatly reduced and he wasn't a significant part of the personnel process right now.  But I knew he was currently on the payroll.  Even Russell admitted that.

Sounds like someone is trying to stomp out the flames of the wrong fire.

3 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

People need to realize, the media rarely starts talking about things like this with zero evidence. Do they speculate? Yes. Proven wrong at times? Yes, of course. Get seduced by jumping on a story too soon so they can get some brief notoriety? Yes. But that doesn't equate to making things up out of thin air.  

The problem with that is......this is not the media.  This is one person, Chris Russell.  Who else has said this?  Everyone else has said its not true.  Im not saying for sure its not true, but its 1 person who has said this, not "the media", and there have been 5 that have said its not true.

And the person who is the 1 is well known for being a liar and making things up.  Thats not to say everything he says is false, but he has quite possibly the worst track record in "media" around here.

5 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Forgive my ignorance, but who said he had been fired?  I wasn't under that impression at all.  I simply thought his responsibilities had been greatly reduced and he wasn't a significant part of the personnel process right now.  But I knew he was currently on the payroll.  Even Russell admitted that.

Sounds like someone is trying to stomp out the flames of the wrong fire.

Two of the reporters out front with this story last night apparently said on the radio that Scot was out as Skins' GM, but that they were hoping to get through the draft before making final decision.

Archived