Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

the media doesn't have to satisfy your standards of good or bad reporting. They have to develop trusted sources and get the stories right. Which it looks like they did. Justify calling all the stories bs, and an ax to grind against the team however you like. It looks like this thinking was wrong.

My standards!? What I said is something that is everyone's standard for sound journalism. 

That's the problem, there weren't "trusted sources", even according to them. Just because in the end some of what they presented was right doesn't make how they went about it correct. 

And don't assume anything about me, please. I never said all of their stories are bs. All I asked for were cited sources, even anonymous ones. Which they're, at least, doing right now. There's a difference. 

It's so hard to have nuanced positions here, it's frustrating. It's not about predicting what's right or wrong. There is sound journalism and there isn't. 

They don't have to share proof with you where they got the story. Thats the whole reason they develop sources. To get information without informing you where it's coming from or providing proof, while still providing insight on what's really going on with the team.

Of course they do! That's basic journalistic principle. 

Read my posts, I asked for the citing of sources - be it anonymous or not. I never said they have to tell me who they're getting it from by name. I understand that concept, it's pretty insulting you think you need to teach me that.

A lot of what they wrote or said recently had a ton of admitted speculation within it. And they mixed it with few actual pieces of info they got from their sources. That's a problem because they're intentionally distorting the reality of what they should be reporting. 

It's perfectly okay to recognize that as an issue even if what they said ends up right, as was stated at the time. 

@thesubmittedone and don't get me wrong I don't take everything the media says as gospel. But I definitely don't  completely discard what their saying as bs either. I think track record with the Skins matters in this case and it provides some context and may inform the discussion as to what may be happening now. 

Gotta be honest, I guess I am getting you wrong because it seems like that's exactly what you're suggesting. 

I specifically stated in my original post that you replied to that it's not about the end result and that it's about the process. And that we can hold both the media and team accountable. Yet, you went directly into about how they're right (end result) and ignored the issues with the process I mentioned, even though you're seemingly agreeing here about not taking everything they say as gospel. 

I never discarded anything other than what they presented as their own opinions. If they ever said something like "sources close to the situation" which can mean a ton of things I accepted it as legitimate. 

I'm sorry, but you're responses indicate that you're not understanding what is a fairly nuanced position on my end and, instead, you've painted me into a corner where I'm someone who "discards everything" so you have an argument. It's simply not true.  

The guy leading the worse case scenario drill, Chris Russell, is going on 106.7 in a few minutes.  He's been hinting on this for over a week on his shows.  I was hoping it wasn't true (still hoping so) so I never posted on any of his speculation but he's been dancing with this story (if there is one) for a awhile, giving hints.

6 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

If Scot has been stripped of every power for a long time then why all those DC we interviewed To replace Joe B. Seemed To come from his  side and had he a huge role in the search?

I agree with this.  If there is anything brewing with Scot, I'd presume it happened of late and hopefully it could be resolved.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The guy leading the worse case scenario drill, Chris Russell, is going on 106.7 in a few minutes.  He's been hinting on this for over a week on his shows.  I was hoping it wasn't true (still hoping so) on one of his shows.

That he's done as GM? I'm not understanding this. I know that Bruce has more than likely been meddling, but coming from a 9-7 and then 8-7-1 season doesn't seem as if he should be canned. I'm not gonna worry about it because it seems like it's speculation and beat reporters have been itching for drama all offseason long are now running with it.

I really..REALLY loathe DC media.

17 minutes ago, Probos said:

I hold the organization mostly at fault,..not the media.  

Again, the first line in the post you quoted from me said we can hold both the team AND media accountable. 

I am not, nor have I ever, suggested that one is wrong and the other is right exclusively. There is a difference with what is being reported now versus what was presented earlier. The citing of sources is constant and we're  even hearing directly from the role players in this situation. 

Is it okay if I recognize the difference? 

So, just because Scot seems to be having some personal problems - be it drinking, not playing well with others, or whatever - as brilliant a football mind as he can be has had a history of, a long history of, the franchise is a disaster, Snyder is somehow responsible, Bruce Allen is a POS and the whole thing is going to hell in a hand basket.

This was always the risk bringing Scot . He has left his last two jobs in bad standing. It was a high risk high reward hiring. I really like Scot but first and foremost I hope he takes care of his health, family and what ever else he needs to tend to. Football is so completely secondary.

Believe it or not there are some positives to come out of this:

1. If it is true he has been gone since Feb 20th, the team has kept this under wraps since then meaning they have mostly plugged the leaks. Three years ago that never happens.

2. The team and especially Dan Snyder has seen the effect of having a quality talent evaluator and GM. Scot is not the only person that can evaluate players. There are some guys out there just waiting for the opportunity. Chiefs VP of player personnel Chris Ballard - Patriots VP of player personnel Nick Caserio - Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta (although I think is the Ravens next GM and is happy waiting) and Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer are jsutg a few names.

3. The roster is in much better shape than it was 2 years ago and is on rise with lot's of money and the QB in house.

4. If Scot was out of here Feb 20th - that means that Bruce, Jay and Dan made the right call on Kirk all by themselves.

5. If you look back at the 2014 draft, Bruce actually did a pretty good job. He had the benefit of Scot's player evaluation true, but he has that now, along with Scott Campbell who has been learning under Scot for the last two years - and was by all rights a pretty good talent evaluator already.

6. The players ultimately paly for Jay Gruden and they seem to really like him. He can be the steady hand while the change is going on. While it's true a new GM may want to change that, it would make more sense to see where it goes next year before breaking up a decent offense.

7. The CAP situation seems to be handled. That shows a FO working on the same page.

So, yes you can look it as the sky is falling. Or you can look it as a speed bump and see how they react before making any rash decisions.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Well, you have to assume a GM would willingly join the Redskins. The league perception is that the team is a disaster because of Snyder

No, that's your perception. There are only 32 NFL GM positions in the world. While one or two might decide to listen to the rhetoric, others will come in for interviews. Even the Browns and 49ers have been able to hire people - good people. They just don't stick with them long enough. Despite fans perceptions, Dan has actually done a pretty good job giving people chances. And this is still a storied franchise with great history. To be the management team to resurrect it would be a huge win.

So it appears that the team is being run by Allen, Gruden, Alex Santos, and Doug Williams.  Doug's responsibilities have reportedly been increased recently.  Scot has been relegated to a personnel guy of sorts.

This per Chris Russell (and others) on his radio appearance this morning.

14 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Again, the first line in the post you quoted from me said we can hold both the team AND media accountable. 

I am not, nor have I ever, suggested that one is wrong and the other is right exclusively. There is a difference with what is being reported now versus what was presented earlier. The citing of sources is constant and we're  even hearing directly from the role players in this situation. 

Is it okay if I recognize the difference? 

Yes, it is okay.  Understood, but like I said, I don't really hold the media accountable for this situation.  

I've accepted how the media works for the most part so I don't get bothered by it like a lot of other people do.  Part of their job is to get you to read, listen or watch and sometimes that involves speculation, etc.  Not saying it's right just saying that's how it works.  That said there is this odd prevalence to place blame on the media for how these situations turn out.  

3 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

So it appears that the team is being run by Allen, Gruden, Alex Santos, and Doug Williams.  Doug's responsibilities have reportedly been increased recently.  Scot has been relegated to a personnel guy of sorts.

No one wants this

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

No, that's your perception. There are only 32 NFL GM positions in the world. While one or two might decide to listen to the rhetoric, others will come in for interviews. Even the Browns and 49ers have been able to hire people - good people. They just don't stick with them long enough. Despite fans perceptions, Dan has actually done a pretty good job giving people chances. And this is still a storied franchise with great history. To be the management team to resurrect it would be a huge win.

If this is true, why hasn't Snyder done so? His front office hires have been Vinny, Allen and Scot M. All three were out of the NFL when Danny came knocking. Why hasn't he been able to hire someone currently employed in the League? An up and comer? When he's ceded control to a coach instead of a FO person it has been Marty, Gibbs 2 and Shanahan. Again all three were out of the NFL when hired. Danny has zero demonstrated ability to find, hire and retain talent already working in the league.

Just now, Probos said:

Yes, it is okay.  Understood, but like I said, I don't really hold the media accountable for this situation.  

I've accepted how the media works for the most part so I don't get bothered by it like a lot of other people do.  Part of their job is to get you to read, listen or watch and sometimes that involves speculation, etc.  Not saying it's right just saying that's how it works.  That said there is this odd prevalence to place blame on the media for how these situations turn out.  

I believe @thesubmittedone is saying that there are two different issues here. The issue at hand, which is on at least some part of the team, and the irresponsible conjecture, guesswork and general trashing of the team.

The two have to be separated. I realize the media has job to do. But many - not all - but many of lost their sense of decency and giving people the benefit of the doubt.

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Well, you have to assume a GM would willingly join the Redskins. The league perception is that the team is a disaster because of Snyder

It's going to depend on what's the issue here. 

If it's football-related, this is terrible. It's another sign that the FO hires people and doesn't allow them to fulfill their roles properly. That titles continue to be meaningless, in the end. Scot was to have final say on personnel and if that's why he's getting dethroned that's terrible no matter what, and I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to work here. 

However, and as was the lingering concern with Scot's hire from the onset, if it is something personal and it was affecting his ability to do his job, the FO shouldn't be vilified for it. At that point, they should hire another GM who will have final say on personnel so that role is clear like it should be. 

I've always said that as long as the hiring process is sound and they understand the importance of the respective titles moving forward, we'll always be fine even post-Scot. 

That's the question now. Are we going back to some weird smorgasbord of FO executives where roles aren't clearly defined and, thus, no one can be held truly responsible and factionalism rules the day? Or are we going to continue to have a sound structure while hiring the best experts in their respective fields and allowing them to fulfill the roles of their titles properly? 

1 minute ago, scruffylookin said:

If this is true, why hasn't Snyder done so? His front office hires have been Vinny, Allen and Scot M. All three were out of the NFL when Danny came knocking. Why hasn't he been able to hire someone currently employed in the League? An up and comer? When he's ceded control to a coach instead of a FO person it has been Marty, Gibbs 2 and Shanahan. Again all three were out of the NFL when hired. Danny has zero demonstrated ability to find, hire and retain talent already working in the league.

Before now has he tried? Also, in terms of football Bruce has actually not done a bad job and Scot was high risk but he did a good job in terms of football. He took a chance and it did not work out. But it does show that he realizes he needs football people. Let's see what he actually does.

13 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Think Snyder is in that mix. 

8 minutes ago, Gizmo 3squire said:

I personally think it's a pissload of overreactions. But we'll see.

We will see on Friday...if Scot is not present at the combine on that day then we have a big issue.  Time will tell...I really hope everything is fine with Scot and we can go back to Scot evaluating players, Bruce making brilliant contracts and Danny staying out of the way.

9 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

If you guys are buying the expected passing of his ailing grandmother on February 6th as a valid excuse to miss the combine in March,you are seriously drinking the kool aid. 

As someone who just had someone elderly (whom I was close to) pass this past February, you can't speak on how someone grieves, especially that there's other family that he needs to tend to. It could take months to get over a death. That's completely messed up, whether true or not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-a-notable-absence-at-nfl-combine/2017/03/01/127d9b3e-fefa-11e6-99b4-9e613afeb09f_story.html?utm_term=.5a3741d7d4d6

106.7 the Fan reported that McCloughan had been sent home from Redskins Park on Feb. 20, and multiple league insiders wonder if there's more to the story, given the timing.  But McCloughan's agent, Peter Schaffer, said late Thursday night that report was "not true," and that the claim of McCloughan's absence owed to a death in the family was "100 percent accurate."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-combine-2017-redskins-general-manager-scot-mccloughan/uld6m46d4x0f1n3alo0s0rzuq

McCloughan told the Washington Post he is dealing with a death in the family. In a separate account given to Washington, D.C., radio station 106.7 The Fan, McCloughan said he's away "setting up the funeral for his grandmother," Marie, who died Feb. 6. The funeral service was held Feb. 13, according to an obituary in the Loveland (Colo.) Reporter-Herald.

Asked by the station whether the family matter would prevent McCloughan from attending the combine, he responded, "Correct."

"I'm taking care of my family, plain and simple," he said.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/03/02/washington-gm-scot-mccloughan-says-he-will-not-be-at-the-combine-at-all/

The radio station had previously reported that McCloughan was sent home by the team on February 20th; the GM denied that report.

Scot McCloughan denies our report about him being sent away from Redskins Park on Feb. 20: "I'm taking care of my family, plain and simple."

McNally says the station’s source remains “adamant” about the accuracy of their story.

We will monitor this story for further developments.

In February, in light of the decision about whether to put the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins or sign him to a long-term extension, our site’s Jason Lisk observed from a series of press clippings that it appeared as though there could be a rift in the Washington front office between McCloughan and Jay Gruden, team president Bruce Allen, and Daniel Snyder.

However they want to spin this, it is deeply concerning that the GM isn't allowed to speak to the media and is then not at the combine.

We all knew that hiring a real GM and letting him run the show was too good to be true and last....

Just now, Dexter said:

We will see on Friday...if Scot is not present at the combine on that day then we have a big issue.  Time will tell...I really hope everything is fine with Scot and we can go back to Scot evaluating players, Bruce making brilliant contracts and Danny staying out of the way.

I'm not worried if he misses it tbh.  His draft rankings are probably all set anyways. Combine is most  useful for interviews and his team will be there :kanyeshrug:

Redskins haven't reached on anyone with insane measurables and questionable game tape. They've gone for the solid football players to build a base.

8 hours ago, zoony said:

Maybe he is just taking care of his family who knows.  Scouting combine is probably over rated for a tape guru anyway

Besides, if your trading team secrets for oral sex with an Espn reporter, and your wife calls her a whore on twitter, at which point the Teams PR staff makes her apologize and subsequently say she was forced to do so, and none of that gets you fired, i mean, maybe pounding a case of coors light while grading college LBers isnt such a huge deal.

I hope this is nothing

This is the one part that alot of people in here are incorrect about.  I'm not saying nothing is going on, but I've seen alot of people saying how weird it is for Scott to miss the combine because he loves it so much and values it.  That part isn't true.  From his intro press conference:

On how he looks at the NFL Combine as compared to a player’s game tape:

McCLOUGHAN: “I think game tape is the DNA. That’s it. You don’t play in T-shirts and shorts. All these kids nowadays get these speed trainers and nutritionists prior to the combine and I don’t blame them, if it gets them more money it gets them more money. I always go back to the tape. I have to. That’s the way I was taught. You’re going to see all of a sudden – Georgia is playing Alabama, it’s fourth quarter, it’s fourth and three, who wins on that line of scrimmage? That guard come off and get the play? T-shirt and shorts, you can’t see that. They might be able to bench press 25 times, 40 times, you watch him on tape, the guy has no strength. So I think the tape to me is very important.”

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Quotes-Scot-McCloughan-Introductory-Press-Conference-11915/267bfe18-63d8-467f-8bcb-3011debbdb2c

Archived