Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

Just to get it straight...it's been said that before Scot parted ways with the 49ers and Seahawks the reason given was having to deal with "family issues".

With the 49ers, there were first "all sorts of rumors swirling around about the potential source of the team’s displeasure, with AOL Fanhouse reporting that the Niners were cutting ties with McCloughan due to “personal reasons,” and ESPN characterizing the move as 'an extended leave of absence.' " Some writers at the time had "sources" blaming the owner for thinking he knew more than he does to 'splain Scot M's absence. Eventually McCloughan was let go (with reports he was "blindsided" by the firing), and the press conference given by San Fran team president said:

"...it's in the best interest of both parties and called the move a "private personnel matter." He didn't elaborate on what went wrong for McCloughan, except to say it had more to do with the GM's personal issues than anything on the football side of things."

With Seahawks, it was reported that he had to deal with "personal matters", with at least one article saying it was "family issues". I think it was JLC (can't remember who wrote the article and I'm way too lazy to go back and look lol) who said "McCloughan left San Francisco after the 2009 season for the same reason he's leaving Seattle now, to tend to a private matter."

So there ya go.

2 minutes ago, DCranon21 said:

So if and when will Chris Russell will be out of job here? All of this speculation and it was not true. This is why we as fans can't have nice things. 

Why would he be canned? Chris just brought in tons of listeners to 106.7 and ad revenue to their website. 

Mi$$ion accomplished. 

3 minutes ago, DCranon21 said:

So if and when will Chris Russell will be out of job here? All of this speculation and it was not true. This is why we as fans can't have nice things. 

None of this has been proven false yet. It is absolutely a red flag when your GM is not attending the combine. Something is definitely up. 

1 minute ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Why would he be canned? Chris just brought in tons of listeners to 106.7 and ad revenue to their website. 

Mi$$ion accomplished. 

True, true. Didn't look at it like that. All about the clicks and dollars. 

Just now, Taylor703 said:

None of this has been proven false yet. It is absolutely a red flag when your GM is not attending the combine. Something is definitely up. 

Bruce said he will be there. Mike Jones tweeted it out. 

16 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Understand.  Thanks.

So, does this mean that they don't want to let him go before the draft because they fear he might tell another team what the Skins plans are for free agency/draft?

No idea lol...couild mean they value his input but not sure how to handle whatever needs handlilng.

Besides being  a fan of the team and having a sense of loyalty to this entity known as the Redskins, why do some people think the media is lying? What has this team shown you that makes you so determine to accept anything that comes out of their mouth? Every team strikes out now and again, but it's the bad teams that strike out more often than not and thus they remain bad. Just off the top of my head and under this current regime structure...

1. Trading a high pick for McNabb

2. Benching McNabb

3. Extending him the next week

4. Claiming Beck/Grossmon is the real deal

5. Drafting RG3 with a ton of picks, (which means you have faith in the guy)

6. Drafting another QB a few rounds later (which means not everyone is on the same page)

7. Shanny/RG3 injury drama

8. Shanny wanting to bench RG3 but couldn't/didn't (for whatever reason)

9. Leaks galore, causing even more added tension to the organization

10. RG3s snide comments on twitter/media outlets (shows lack of overall leadership in team structure)

11. Shanny gets fired after experiment blows up

12. Bruce becomes GM (dude just loves the the limelight)

13. Jay gets hired (which is okay), but then they keep Haslett

14. Scott becomes the GM (good news)

15. Scott's wife goes on a rant about him cheating with a local reporter (more drama smh)

16. Jay publicly calls out RG3 (not something a coach should do in the media)

17. Draft picks either fizzling out or getting injured (fault or no fault, it's still an issue that is keeping this team down)

18. Not resigning Kirk twice (either extend him or trade him, this just seems like they have no clue)

19. Failed free agents, not addressing the defense

20. Doctons injury (wasted 1st round pick in year 1, doesn't help)

21. They love themselves some Gallette (boy I can't wait till he gets on the field)

22. After Haslett, we bring in a guy who was in the same tier coaching wise in Barry

23. Barry is fired and we can't/don't land anyone with experience, we promote from within...within a team that ranked terribly in defense.

24. Now this Bruce/Scott drama

25. YOUR GM (the bucks stop with me) IS NOT AT THE NFL DRAFT COMBINE (might be okay for winning teams, but drama filled teams...this just looks bad)

So yea, this team doesn't have a great track record of making me feel like they should be given the benefit of the doubt.

3 minutes ago, DCranon21 said:

True, true. Didn't look at it like that. All about the clicks and dollars. 

Bruce said he will be there. Mike Jones tweeted it out. 

Unless I missed something Bruce already confirmed Scott would not be at the combine. 

1 minute ago, Gizmo 3squire said:

@dyst You're missing a whole bunch of Skins drama prior to McNabb.lolol Hard to argue against that.

Yeesh as a fanbase we've been though hell.

My hands would get tired of typing I went went further back, not to mention, my brain can't hold in all that information. It's just to much.

Rich Tandler explains what a Scot McCloughanless combine will look like: http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/what-effect-will-mccloughan-missing-combine-have-redskins

Scot McCloughan: “I think game tape is the DNA. That’s it,” he said during his introductory press conference in January of 2015. “You don’t play in T-shirts and shorts. All these kids nowadays get these speed trainers and nutritionists prior to the combine and I don’t blame them, if it gets them more money it gets them more money. I always go back to the tape.”

The players’ times in the 40 and the three-cone drill and how far they went in the broad jump are all recorded so McCloughan can catch up on those if he chooses to. And it’s all taped so if he wants to look at the quarterbacks throwing he can do that as well.

Another important aspect of the combine is the medical exams. General managers seldom are involved here and the decision makers have access to the results.

The interviews with the prospects, however, are critical. McCloughan has always considered getting to know the potential draftees to get their stories to gauge their love for the game, something that McCloughan uses to determine if the prospect is his kind of “football player.” He can review videos of the interviews conducted by Jay Gruden, Scott Campbell, Doug Williams and others but that’s not the same as being there.

I think we're gonna be okay. Let the man help his family. His family and health are way more important than the combine. 

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

No, no he did not.

He said he would be back with the team when the personal issues clear up.

San Francisco apparently said the same thing at one time.

Well maybe third time is the charm for SM on "personal matters"

Are there opportunities to interview people after the combine?  Usually at individual school pro-days, right?

If so, missing combine might not be the worst thing.  Buncha numbers and medical reports that can be viewed later.  So long as interviews can happen another time, the combine is disposable.

Not that it makes his absence less unusual from the norm, but it may explain logically why his absence might be okay.

The only thing we know right now is that Chris Russell is talking to different "sources" than everyone else.  Because only he is breaking a doom and gloom story.

He might be right, it's too early either way, but we at least have conflicting stories.

3 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

I think we're gonna be okay. Let the man help his family. His family and health are way more important than the combine. 

If any franchise deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's this one.

If any front office exec deserves the benefit of the doubt it's this one.

When have either ever been embroiled  in a controversy before?

Seriously, it was even money at worst that Scot's tenure here would end in a complete **** storm. The second cleanest top departure of the Snyder era was Spurrier and he apparently blind-sided the team. The Skins' organizational dysfunction and Scot's well-documented personal dysfunction were always a dangerous match.

It's sort of amazing that the wife's Twitter account is being used to calm everyone down. That's the same Twitter account that accused a reporter of being her husband's side piece last year. That's where we are turning for comfort.

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

If any franchise deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's this one.

If any front office exec deserves the benefit of the doubt it's this one.

When have either ever been embroiled  in a controversy before?

Seriously, it was even money at worst that Scot's tenure here would end in a complete **** storm. The second cleanest top departure of the Snyder era was Spurrier and he apparently blind-sided the team. The Skins' organizational dysfunction and Scot's well-documented personal dysfunction were always a dangerous match.

It's sort of amazing that the wife's Twitter account is being used to calm everyone down. That's the same Twitter account that accused a reporter of being her husband's side piece last year. That's where we are turning for comfort.

I'll take the word of Scot, his agent, Scot's wife, Bruce, JP Finlay, Rich Tandler, and Mike Jones over Chris Russell any day

54 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Sheehan literally thinks every single move the Redskins' FO makes is for good PR and to try and save face. It's never a move made to help the team, only to help Allen and Snyder look good when things fall apart. Even Cooley thinks he goes overboard on that lol...

LOL I don't know if you were listening this morning or not, but someone actually called in and basically called Kevin and Cooley out on this.

Ooooh, unless that was you that called in!

Archived