Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

On 2/28/2017 at 8:25 AM, ThomasRoane said:

Scot has been fired from two franchises.  He CANNOT afford to be fired by a third or his career is over; especially if drinking has resurfaced as a problem. 

I suspected that this was an issue because no one came out to refute Cooley's assertion that SM was drinking again.  If this is the case (and I believe it makes the most sense) It's a real shame and this seals his fate I think for the NFL.  I pray that he gets some MUCH NEEDED help.  Although, I think drinking is just the final straw.   

The grave miscalculation of not getting a deal done with Kirk last season was a crucial error.  That explains Kirk's tussling of the GM's hair after the GB game and the boisterous "How do you like me now!" taunt.  SM said he would not "break the bank one guy."   The decision to low ball Kirk cost the team millions in cap space and probably the chance to get another starter or two (at least for the first two years of the contract).  Perhaps more importantly, that decision pissed away any semblance of leverage in contract negotiations.  With a long term deal in place the Redskins would have the upper hand (if they wanted to trade him).  That's why I and many others wanted a deal done last year.  I like Kirk.  I love the Redskins.  

SM failed to see that today's NFL is a QB driven league. No matter how good your defense is you need an above average QB to win (See the Jets, KC, and Houston).  Even Denver did much better with Peyton than without him (see last year).  Although PM was physically done mentally he had the savvy to get the team into the right play in the playoffs and there was that fear factor that worked in his favor with the Panther's secondary. 

Then there were some questionable decisions in SM's management of the draft and FA.  The mysterious injury for Doctson, drafting a RG with a top 5 pick (although I don't hate that - still, it's a guard), missing badly on Matt Jones, all the misses on free agents (Reyes, Paea, Bruton Jr, the safety from Seattle  just to name a few) and the lack of depth or quality players on the defensive side of the ball.  All those add up to a GM who didn't have his head in the game. 

It's a sad day for him but the Redskins will be fine.  I think Scott Campbell will be a better GM for having worked with SM.  Love Doug Williams being more involved!  He knows character. The negotiation with Kirk should go much smoother now that a big obstacle has been taken out of the picture.  

The sky is not falling, it's getting brighter. 

If Bruce Allen and the team and Scot's wife are all saying "not true" and ... two things can happen ...

1. It's true ... Scot gets let go at some point, and the organization and Allen look absolutely terrible (and maybe there are repercussions for Allen?)

2. It's not true, and Chris Russell and 106.7 screwed the pooch for the sake of being "investigative" and have egg on their faces and Chris may be canned 

Just now, Califan007 said:

If it is indeed Scot having a relapse, wouldn't it be for all parties?

Sure it'll be good for Scot to get his life back together but disaster for the Skins since they botched every major decision this franchise ever makes.

3 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Then there were some questionable decisions in SM's management of the draft and FA.  The mysterious injury for Doctson, drafting a RG with a top 5 pick (although I don't hate that - still, it's a guard), missing badly on Matt Jones, all the misses on free agents (Reyes, Paea, Bruton Jr, the safety from Seattle  just to name a few) and the lack of depth or quality players on the defensive side of the ball.  All those add up to a GM who didn't have his head in the game. 

It's a sad day for him but the Redskins will be fine.  I think Scott Campbell will be a better GM for having worked with SM.  Love Doug Williams being more involved!  He knows character. The negotiation with Kirk should go much smoother now that a big obstacle has been taken out of the picture.  

The sky is not falling, it's getting brighter. 

:wtf:

Yes, let's ignore the fact that the Doctson injury happened after the draft, and Minnesota likely would have drafted him right after us if we took someone else.  Unless you expect our GM to be psychic, it makes no sense to fault him for that.  Jones was a 3rd round pick, the very end of the 3rd round in fact - get over it.  He's given us more of a return thus far in his career than most teams get out of their 3rd round picks.

You also ignore the facts that his FA signings were purposely low-cost, bargain bin signings to set us up for the GREAT cap situation we're in now.  We have 10 picks in the draft and a boatload of cap space for the first time in forever.  Do you think GMSM didn't plan it that way?  Or would you rather be saddled with bad contracts and limited draft picks because of going crazy in FA and trades the last two seasons, all with a team who wasn't ready to compete for a SB?

I am however appalled with some of those clowns on 106.7 who are researching obituaries to fact check and somehow prove Scot to be wrong because the timelines of the death, funeral, etc "don't add up".

Leave the man alone. You all don't know anything about his family dynamics. 

Man I'm getting REALLY annoyed listening to the local media.  Kevin and Cooley just had Mike Jones on and he flat out told them that McCloughn was missing time right now due to a death in the family.

Literally RIGHT AFTER THAT Kevin then asked Mike Jone's "in your opinion, why do you think he is missing time with the Redskins?"

I literally yelled in my car "HE JUST ****ING TOLD YOU".

Can't stand all the negativity around here anymore, it's really starting to get to me.

6 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Man I'm getting REALLY annoyed listening to the local media.  Kevin and Cooley just had Mike Jones on and he flat out told them that McCloughn was missing time right now due to a death in the family.

Literally RIGHT AFTER THAT Kevin then asked Mike Jone's "in your opinion, why do you think he is missing time with the Redskins?"

Can't stand all the negativity around here anymore, it's really starting to get to me.

Sheehan literally thinks every single move the Redskins' FO makes is for good PR and to try and save face. It's never a move made to help the team, only to help Allen and Snyder look good when things fall apart. Even Cooley thinks he goes overboard on that lol...

40 minutes ago, Burgold said:

He may not be a big 40 yard dash and weight lift guy, but he did say he put a lot of weight on the interviews and getting inside a player's head to get a sense of their hunger and drive.

Again, I don't know if this is something, but it's more than strange.

Exactly!  Player interview are just as important (if not moreso) than the metrics.  Someone should have found out that Matt Jones does not really like contact.  And that Doctson is a bit of an introvert who doesn't feel as comfortable being away from home. 

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I adored my grandmother. I spent more time in her house than mine growing up. She died two years ago at 88. I missed two days of work, mainly due to air travel.

There is no earthly way he is missing the freaking combine over that.

10 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

I am however appalled with some of those clowns on 106.7 who are researching obituaries to fact check and somehow prove Scot to be wrong because the timelines of the death, funeral, etc "don't add up".

Leave the man alone. You all don't know anything about his family dynamics. 

Shocking someone actually wants to check the facts

7 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I adored my grandmother. I spent more time in her house than mine growing up. She died two years ago at 88. I missed two days of work, mainly due to air travel.

No one said he's missing the combine because he's grieving.

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm curious.  If the Redskins disclosed that SM's drinking (he never said he stopped) was a problem again would they open themselves to litigation later?  That would explain why everyone is sticking to the same story.  Plus, SM does have an idea of what the Redskins want to do in the draft.  It wouldn't be wise to piss him off and have him tip off the competition. 

4 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

Shocking someone actually wants to check the facts

facts don't equate to speculations. The zealots at that radio station pulled dates together and came up with their own narrative. 

Whatever sells I guess

Again, it never ever ceases to amaze me that Dan Snyder got the money to buy the Skins in the first place through what was essentially a PR/Marketing firm.

This team is NEVER ahead of any story. NEVER timely reacts to a story. NEVER figures out a way to properly squelch a rumor. And it leaks more than the Trump White House.

I've been slightly out of the loop, but this freaking thread started on February 9th. In that time, the team has yet to come up with any kind of way of dealing with this ever-ending flood of rumors, facts, or half-understood facts.

I understand that privacy is important, but - at the same time - when you essentially become Dan Snyder's first true GM, you are giving up a share of your privacy. It's part of the trade-off for the money, glory, etc.

I think there is a way to respectfully handle whatever Scot is dealing with (if he is in fact dealing with anything). It certainly has to be better than a Snyder employee speculating that he fell off the wagon on a Snyder-owned platform.

5 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

facts don't equate to speculations. The zealots at that radio station pulled dates together and came up with their own narrative. 

Whatever sells I guess

You can't play this card when a Snyder employee is recklessly speculating on a Snyder-owned platform. You just can't.

9 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I'm curious.  If the Redskins disclosed that SM's drinking (he never said he stopped) was a problem again would they open themselves to litigation later?  That would explain why everyone is sticking to the same story.  Plus, SM does have an idea of what the Redskins want to do in the draft.  It wouldn't be wise to piss him off and have him tip off the competition. 

1. Yes, there are privacy issue and HIPAA issues involved here I'm sure. At the same time, the Redskins would be nuts not to include certain waivers in their employment contracts. (Does anyone ever wonder why teams can talk about surgeries that players are having? Because players waive their HIPPA rights. I have to assume that we know every time Coach K gets a back ache for the same reason. Duke had to recognize that his health status is something that needs to be shared with the public).

2. If the Redskins do not have non-disclosure and no-compete clauses in their contracts, they are the worst run organization in sports.

44 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Two of the reporters out front with this story last night apparently said on the radio that Scot was out as Skins' GM, but that they were hoping to get through the draft before making final decision.

Understand.  Thanks.

So, does this mean that they don't want to let him go before the draft because they fear he might tell another team what the Skins plans are for free agency/draft?

10 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

You can't play this card when a Snyder employee is recklessly speculating on a Snyder-owned platform. You just can't.

I didn't know Snyder owned 106.7 too

'IT'S ALL BULLSH**, HE'S NOT FIRED' IS THE WORD ON SCOT MCCLOUGHAN, PER SOURCE

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/its-all-bullsh-hes-not-fired-word-scot-mccloughan-source?utm_content=bufferfbea1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

After news broke Wednesday night that Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan did not travel with the team to the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, the rumor mill kicked into overdrive. Obviously McCloughan has a past that includes alcohol abuse, and some on social media and elsewhere jumped to conclusions about his absence from the combine.

A report from 106.7 the Fan said that McCloughan was sent home from Redskins Park on Feburary 20, and went on to show that his role has been reduced in the organization. McCloughan, reached by reporters, said that was categorically untrue, and that he is home dealing with family matters. The general manager's elderly grandmother passed away in February. 

Reached Thursday morning for comment, Washington team president Bruce Allen said that McCloughan is home tending to personal matters, via The Washington Post. Allen said that McCloughan will be back with the team once his family affairs are in order. 

One source with knowledge of the situation told CSN of the drama surrounding the Redskins general manager, "It's all bullsh**, he's not fired."

The source continued that McCloughan has conducted normal football business within the last week, but did not travel due to the death in his family.

Additionally, McCloughan's wife Jessica took to Twitter to further discredit the report of the team sending McCloughan home from their Ashburn facility in February.

Scot McCloughan's agent Peter Schaffer said not true his client was sent home from work Feb 20. Said death in family is reason Scot's off.

@MikeJonesWaPo Mike is correct, @Russellmania621 is not. Scot was not in anyway sent home from Redskins Park.

While the last 24 hours have seen chaos surrounding the Redskins and their general manager, it has not been particulary smooth for either party since the end of the 2016 season. At the Senior Bowl in January, McCloughan told CSN he would not speak with reporters per Bruce Allen's instructions. It was noticeable that McCloughan sat away from the rest of the Redskins delegation at the Senior Bowl during open practices. McCloughan routinely sat in the stands at about the 50-yard-line while Allen, Jay Gruden and others often congregated in the end zone stands. 

Then, in February, former Redskins tight end and team broadcaster Chris Cooley speculated on his ESPN980 radio show that McCloughan's drinking problems might have resurfaced. The team refused comment.

The controversy tornado engulfing the 'Skins comes at a particularly difficult time for the team. Getting a deal done for Kirk Cousins, or working out a trade, remains at the top of the team's offseason priority list though the Burgundy and Gold have plenty of free agency questions and important draft preparations going on in Indy. 

What's more, the team is yet to schedule a press conference. Until the organization lays out all the facts, expect the speculation to continue. 

Archived