Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

55 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Of course the information we don't have as fans right now is... Did Pryor even want to sign a multi year contract?  If he did then what did he want?

Well all the talk is Pryor was looking for a long term deal at elite WR money - so $15M per year. Teams were not willing to do that off one season.

Cleveland had offered him a long term deal at a higher per year than he signed here. But he wants a one year deal with an offense that will allow him to put up big numbers so he can hit free agency again with two years production and get that big money long term deal. Apparently Cleveland thought he would take the Redskins offer back and by all accounts they would have beaten it. Pryor did not give them the chance.

So one thought on this as it relates to Cousins. Pryor wants to have a big year in a passing driven offense. He has to have asked about our QB situation and been given some kind of assurance Cousins will be at QB at least this year. I think this is a strong signal Cousins is not getting traded.

1 hour ago, sjinhan said:

I agree that Patterson won't be competing to do the similar things that Pryor or Doctson are asked to do...

Not really high on Patterson, therefore did not cry when he left for Oakland. But was just wondering, was he offered something or did he leave without a meeting once Pryor signed?

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Logan is a good move. Hightower and Zach Brown both would be stellar.

I'll take either Hightower or Brown but depending on the asking price.

Yep, Pryor is banking on racking up 1400 yards and cashing in big.

Regarding cap space, not always the best option but worse case I could see some of Josh Normans 16.5mil salary being converted to bonus. Would only need to convert 4mil to create 3mil in space.

Looks like Francois is on the chopping block.

ESPN's John Keim speculates the Redskins might move on from DL Ricky Jean-Francois.

Washington has already bolstered the defensive line with Stacy McGee and Terrell McClain and is visiting with Bennie Logan over the weekend. Jean-Francois is set to count $4 million against the cap in the final year of his deal, which is too steep a price to pay for a backup lineman. Jean-Francois played 439 snaps last season.

Mannnn, it's crazy to say but even with the horrific situation, if they end up signing Logan, it's a pretty damn good offseason. Doug, Santos and Campbell must have been working their tails off for this knowing how the Scot situation was going to play out 

13 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

Looks like Francois is on the chopping block.

ESPN's John Keim speculates the Redskins might move on from DL Ricky Jean-Francois.

Washington has already bolstered the defensive line with Stacy McGee and Terrell McClain and is visiting with Bennie Logan over the weekend. Jean-Francois is set to count $4 million against the cap in the final year of his deal, which is too steep a price to pay for a backup lineman. Jean-Francois played 439 snaps last season.

To steep of a price for backup/rotation player? So McGee and McTerrell are gonna be starters? Because we pay them 4 to 5 m a year. I got the feeling that both will be part of a rotation..but not every down players. 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I think one other reason for the 1 year deal is the fact that more and more NFL contracts are guaranteed or partly guaranteed. In the old days, if a player was not a fit, or got fat and happy after a big contract and started loafing it you would be off the hook. Maybe your cap would be hurt by whatever was left of the signing bonus, but you wouldn't have to pay the guy any more. These days, teams have to continue to pay players even if their play drastically declines and even if they are cut. That makes them higher risk. So, the one year prove it deal basically allows the player to up their value, but it also acts as a safety for the team to see if they guy will be a good fit for them.

I think you right but there is another angle here for the players. When they sign a 4 yr contract but only part of it is guaranteed and the back end loaded, they don't have as much control. The team has all the control and leverage. Year to year can really be beneficial for both the team and the player.

Revis was really the first to take this approach. He totally controlled his own career. You have to be willing to play for whatever team will pay you which makes the players look like mercenaries. But to be fair the owners have treated the players like a commodity for a long time. They have no problem cutting a guy with 2 yrs and a lot of money left.

33 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

To steep of a price for backup/rotation player? So McGee and McTerrell are gonna be starters? Because we pay them 4 to 5 m a year. I got the feeling that both will be part of a rotation..but not every down players. 

Well you got to figure we draft DL at some point in the draft and we also have the Greek from last year, hoping he improved some from his rookie season.  If we get Logan then really why do we need Ricky, especially if we spend a pick in the first 3 rounds on a rookie.

Just a few thoughts..gotta love the Pryor pickup. One year and show us he can build on last year. The guy's a better version of Jeffrey in that he's faster and more durable (not lanky like Alshon). He's an impact player unlike Garcon who I really liked. Desean was an injury waiting to happen. Love the guy but he's on the downside of his career. I'm good with TP, Doctson, and Crowder. I like Harris as a sleeper. Patterson would be an interesting pickup as a speed guy. If we can get him cheap, it would be good. 

I don't want Poe, too many questions on his back. Logan would be a good pickup as a run stuffer. He's the reason Fletcher Cox is who he is. He would be a good rotational guy primarily as a NT. I like the 2 pickups, hate to see Baker go but we got younger. We need big guys who can rotate in. Hopefully we draft another dlineman. 

We need another olb and ilb. Let's get another pass rushing olb to go along with Ryan, Smith, Galette, and Murphy. I'd prefer a bigger guy not a speed guy. We definitely need a big ilb. I like Will and Foster but I'd prefer a smash mouth backer, someone who justs runs downhill and thumps. 

I'm really happy with our secondary. We got 2 physical safeties now who can cover all those 2 TE sets. I see DJ, Blackmon, and Sua on the field a lot with Breeland, Josh, and Fuller. Dhall will restructure or he's gone. 

Remember we got 10 picks, I believe, in the draft to help the youth movement. 

I like the idea of letting things play out with Pryor especially given that he has been somewhat of a problem child. There is nothing preventing the skins from extending him anytime in season right ? 

So you would have to think that if the relationship becomes mutuly amicable we make him an offer that is more than he had on the table this year but slightly less than he will get as a free agent next year.

I like the idea that he gives us the opportunity to evaluate Grant and Doctson and Harris or whomever without being totally commited. We have options, unlike the KC situation 

43 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I'm completely fine with cutting RJF - money doesn't match production, talks a lot and apparently has an axe to grind with Manusky.

But I'm totally on board with what you're saying about the other two. I'm not saying they won't be decent players, maybe they'll surprise me. But both of the defensive linemen and Swearinger absolutely wreak of the same stench we've been doing for the past 3 or so years in free agency. I will refer to it as a "Reyes signing." A guy that has pretty much been a below average player at best throughout his career. We absolutely suck against the run, so they bring in a couple free agents at the position of need but they are really not an upgrade then it seems like it's a complete mind **** to the front office when we still suck against the run. Swearinger is a dbag that's not that good. The other two seem to be good character (or at least an absence of being ****ty) but just more bodies.

For the money we combined into those two guys we probably could have just signed Hankins and then still pursued Logan as well. Give me those two, cut RJF, resign Hood, roll with Lanier and Ioannidis and maybe sign another body or draft a guy or two. Problem solved and the line becomes a strength.

Between McGee and McClain we wrapped up nearly $10M/yr. You cannot tell me that we didn't overpay. If we end up signing Logan, which I'm praying we do, you cannot tell me we wouldn't have been better off with Hankins and Logan for the same total investment then McClain, McGee and Logan.

I truthfully am beginning to come around.  I have gone through my stages with Cousins, and I'm resigned to see him go.  I like the pickups thus far otherwise.  I am hoping Logan signs; we might have a respectable defense if he does.

As for Cousins, I still find some hope we'll be able to LTC him, and see Bruce Allen shown the door.  But I'll be okay if not.  If a good defense results from all this turmoil, I'll be happy, because I prefer defense to offense anyway.

I've used a lot of 'ifs'.  But no-one can tell the future.  And no player, not even Kirk Cousins, is bigger than the team.  If he thinks he is, then perhaps it IS time for him to move the hell on.

7 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

I like the idea of letting things play out with Pryor especially given that he has been somewhat of a problem child. There is nothing preventing the skins from extending him anytime in season right ? 

So you would have to think that if the relationship becomes mutuly amicable we make him an offer that is more than he had on the table this year but slightly less than he will get as a free agent next year.

I like the idea that he gives us the opportunity to evaluate Grant and Doctson and Harris or whomever without being totally commited. We have options, unlike the KC situation 

Also with a LTD possible for KC (or the eventual cut next year if not) if Pryor balls out we can tag him if he plays out of his mind while we work on a LTD.  I don't see any other FA next year that we would be using the tag

50 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I don't think it helped Francois speaking out a couple days ago about the teams dysfunction and calling it that and saying he sides with Kirk in the contract impasse.  If there is anything to the idea Bruce doesn't like dissension than if RJF was on the bubble -- he probably just walked himself on the plank.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

You are hired as GM of our Washington Redskins.

I thought you made a good list. In that Seinfeld episode in the picture, George gets hired to work for the Yankees

Lol thank you. Apologies for not being quicker on the uptake. Of course I left it out but the other money saving and brilliant move that should be assumed is we fricking sign the guy that is rewriting our QB franchise record books.

Also, too late now but see above about how I would have spent the money that has so far been spent on our dline. Dline is the correct focus but I think we've already botched who it has been spent on.

Alshon Jeffrey like @skinsfan93 said is obviously slower than Pryor. I wanted to point out a couple other comparisons due to the fact that I'm a Game****s fan and have watched his football career blossom. Jeffrey is not a hustle type player, he is big and talented with huge mits that catch about everything. But he runs lazy routes and is slow. He plays uninspired at times and doesn't have an "it factor" or even seem to care to take over games (even when he occasionally does). In fairness though because of his personality he stays medium, doesn't draw stupid penalties/let anyone get in his head and shouldn't ever be an offseason concern(though you never know really)

Pryor however seems to be a an more fiery on field competitor, for him to spend his career at qb then make a sudden change to WR and flourish the way he did speaks volumes to me about his passion for being good at the game, even if it's financially motivated (which to me seems not entirely true). He bet on the browns to win out last year to the public which shows he is a proud football player who wants to win. 

Overall i would have been excited for either but I'm verry happy with Pryor and think of it as a "push" in terms of what each team got.

57 minutes ago, Murphs56 said:

Mannnn, it's crazy to say but even with the horrific situation, if they end up signing Logan, it's a pretty damn good offseason. Doug, Santos and Campbell must have been working their tails off for this knowing how the Scot situation was going to play out 

This is correct.

Logan isn't a great player, but he's active enough to easily replace Baker, though Baker has a bit more pass rush to his game.   Still, he's younger, has a better pedigree than Baker and with the other two players added, also both younger and rotational, though certainly not great, our defensive line is better than it was.   I doubt we'd get rid of Ricky Jean as he's perfect in that sort of rotation.   I wouldn't look at that line and say it's a strength, but it would be deeper, younger and more stout against the run, so better and it moves from horrendous in overall talent to roughly average and potentially slightly above average.

Pryor, Logan and Swearinger is a good offseason for our team with our current needs.   Add the other two in and probably a couple more and we've stabilized the talent base nicely, though we still have utterly atrocious inside backers (and I LIKE Compton and Foster for their effort, but they can NOT play) and our outside backers can not cover.   But, progress is fair.   Younger, more athletic and more depth -- assuming Logan -- and this team might be interesting still.

8 minutes ago, moondog said:

I'm completely fine with cutting RJF - money doesn't match production, talks a lot and apparently has an axe to grind with Manusky.

But I'm totally on board with what you're saying about the other two. I'm not saying they won't be decent players, maybe they'll surprise me. But both of the defensive linemen and Swearinger absolutely wreak of the same stench we've been doing for the past 3 or so years in free agency. I will refer to it as a "Reyes signing." A guy that has pretty much been a below average player at best throughout his career. We absolutely suck against the run, so they bring in a couple free agents at the position of need but they are really not an upgrade then it seems like it's a complete mind **** to the front office when we still suck against the run. Swearinger is a dbag that's not that good. The other two seem to be good character (or at least an absence of being ****ty) but just more bodies.

For the money we combined into those two guys we probably could have just signed Hankins and then still pursued Logan as well. Give me those two, cut RJF, resign Hood, roll with Lanier and Ioannidis and maybe sign another body or draft a guy or two. Problem solved and the line becomes a strength.

Between McGee and McClain we wrapped up nearly $10M/yr. You cannot tell me that we didn't overpay. If we end up signing Logan, which I'm praying we do, you cannot tell me we wouldn't have been better off with Hankins and Logan for the same total investment then McClain, McGee and Logan.

Exactly. Or, you could keep RJF and just sign one of the 2 and still be spending less. Or, as you suggested just go after 2 real upgrades and call it a day.

Edit: HOLY ****, AN ART SIGHTING!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, moondog said:

Remember how when Scot first showed up we signed Paea, Knighton and RJF to go with Baker and the plan was basically Paea, Knighton and Baker start and RJF would be a rotate in guy?  I'd say here we're likely to have McClain starting, Logan if we can get him and McGee as top backup with a draft pick starting at the other side

16 minutes ago, Art said:

This is correct.

Logan isn't a great player, but he's active enough to easily replace Baker, though Baker has a bit more pass rush to his game.   Still, he's younger, has a better pedigree than Baker and with the other two players added, also both younger and rotational, though certainly not great, our defensive line is better than it was.   I doubt we'd get rid of Ricky Jean as he's perfect in that sort of rotation.   I wouldn't look at that line and say it's a strength, but it would be deeper, younger and more stout against the run, so better and it moves from horrendous in overall talent to roughly average and potentially slightly above average.

Pryor, Logan and Swearinger is a good offseason for our team with our current needs.   Add the other two in and probably a couple more and we've stabilized the talent base nicely, though we still have utterly atrocious inside backers (and I LIKE Compton and Foster for their effort, but they can NOT play) and our outside backers can not cover.   But, progress is fair.   Younger, more athletic and more depth -- assuming Logan -- and this team might be interesting still.

After Baker, i pretty much demand the DT play til the whistle, not make poses while runners escape, and run to the ball.

for every flashy play Baker made, he cost us 5 more with a lack of effort, or a desire to be on TV before the play he halfway finished was over.

the middle of our defense was a sieve, and the linebackers never met a block that didn't stick to them like glue.

that's on the DT.

Nice t'see ya Art

~Bang

I liked Baker and so did the town but like his buddy Knighton, he didn't have the cardio and stamina to bring it 100% for a stretch of plays in a row.  He'd do some great things but not on a consistent level.  Granted he didn't have the greatest next to him but always thought he could be in better shape.  Just my opinion.  Still love the guy though but we didn't lose a Sam Adams in his prime here.  Maybe Magee will be hungrier, sure looked angry in his signing picture.  LOL

we need some nasty out there!!   Remember Daryl Gardener?  Due to his back he only played one solid year for us and many might say it was a contract year but the man tossed people around like Kong and he was one scary S.O.B.   we need that on both sides of the trenches and we have that on the O side with Trent and Scherff.  Need some on the D side. 

8 minutes ago, Bang said:

After Baker, i pretty much demand the DT play til the whistle, not make poses while runners escape, and run to the ball.

for every flashy play Baker made, he cost us 5 more with a lack of effort, or a desire to be on TV before the play he halfway finished was over.

the middle of our defense was a sieve, and the linebackers never met a block that didn't stick to them like glue.

that's on the DT.

Nice t'see ya Art

~Bang

Agreed.

Baker is way over-rated by some. He's a backup player (at best).

I have no problem getting rid of every member of last year's defensive line and wiping the slate clean.

i thought Ionnaidis came on a bit towards the end. he made some nice run stuffs, started to get his legs under him.  He may begin to step up, and if healthy, Gallette will push Preston Smith, and that should have a positive impact. (Soph slumps are real..)

I have no idea how to spell Ionnaidis' name, so, I may just start writing Eye Oh Night Us.

~Bang

Archived