Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

Alright gang, the season is still very much alive and I have full faith that we'll get to 9 wins, but there is nothing wrong with having a look at the future.  Plus, tis the season to be jolly and each of us has a wish list in mind.

Full disclosure, I'll be in the middle earth realm fending off the zombie apocalypse (hopefully for the last time) for most of the FA period this spring but should have just enough access to make updates every couple of days.  If not, hopefully @thesubmittedone is more than ready to assist in updating the thread, I'm sure :) .

Same drill, same number, same hood, for this thread.  If you'd like to post a wish list and discuss please do so.  If you see that we've signed someone, please post in here with a source and I will update the thread title and the OP as needed.

2017 Redskins Cap Space: http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

Depending on the cap this year, we should have north of $60,000,000 in delicious monies to spend.  We have several of our own to take care of and have some tough decisions to make.  The big one will be "Garcon or DJax, the Battle for Evermore."

2017 Redskins FA http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/washington-redskins/

Kirk Cousins

Pierre Garcon

Desean Jackson

Chris Baker

Junior "Twitter Warrior/Part Time Hero" Gallette

Vernon Davis

Kedric "Yes I'm Still Here" Golston

Nick Sundberg

Cullen Jenkins

Ziggy Hood

Bad John Sullivan

Greg Toler

Duke Ihenacho

Terrance Garvin

Donte Whitner

2017 NFL Free Agents http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

I can't find any dates as of yet in regards to the new league year, but as soon as they're available I'll post them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Signed to Reserve/Futures Deals on 2 Jan 17

DL A.J. Francis

WR Matt Hazel

LB Rufus Johnson

DL Joey Mbu

OL Ronald Patrick

DB Shak Randolph

TE Wes Saxton

WR Kendal Thompson

OT Isaiah Williams

Signed to Reserve/Futures Deal on 5 Jan 17

S Earl Wolff

Signed to Reserve/Futures Deals on 6 Jan 17

DT/NT Phil Taylor

LB Khairi Fortt

LB Pete Robertson

Signed to Reserve/Futures Deal on 16 Jan 17

CB Tharold Simon

Re-signed on 23 Jan 17

LS Nick Sundberg

Re-signed on 25 Feb 17

OLB Junior Galette 

Re-signed on 07 March 17

Vernon Davis

Re-signed on 15 March 17

Ziggy Hood

SIGNED:

9 March 17

Terrell McClain - DT - Cowboys

Stacy McGee - DT - Raiders

DJ Swearinger - Safety - Cardinals 

10 March 17 

Terrelle Pryor - WR - Browns 

16 March 17 

Chris Carter - LB - Colts

24 March 17 

Brian Quick - WR - Rams

3 April 17 

Zach Brown - LB - Bills

1 minute ago, DC9 said:

Full disclosure, I'll be in middle earth realm fending off the zombie apocalypse for most of the FA period this spring but should have just enough access to make updates every couple of days.  If not, hopefully @thesubmittedone is more than ready to assist in updating the thread, I'm sure :) .

Well, geez, no pressure or anything. 

:P

I'll try my best to help, but I can't promise I'll do as good a job as you do. :) 

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

Well, geez, no pressure or anything. 

:P

I'll try my best to help, but I can't promise I'll do as good a job as you do. :) 

Much like the Caps thread, we change it up every year who starts/controls the OP based on the performance the season before.  I think my powers are limited to a Division Championship and a playoff appearance.

You, sir, are undefeated and the sky is the limit on your potential. :)

Kirk, Garcon, Baker, Davis, Hood, Gilette we keep.

Berry and maybe Poe go after aggressively.

Draft up the defensive spine heavily.

Create a defense with a ton of young talent, that can carry this team, allow them to pound the ball and never be out of a football game. While having the talent to play aggressively without exposing holes.

Find a big ****ing bully to put in the middle, so we're not watching Compton getting knocked down clinging to ball carriers and tight ends 10 yards down the field.

Offense:  Re-sign Cousins, Garcon and Davis

Defense:  Re-sign Baker

Special Teams: Re-sign Sunburg

Everyone else can walk.

Eric Berry, Lawrence Timmons, Calais Campbell and Dontari Poe would fix the middle of the defense.  But I don't see Scot going crazy in FA.  It's possible they get one big ticket item on defense.  I don't think the Chiefs will be able to keep Poe and Berry.  

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Kirk, Garcon, Baker, Davis, Hood, Gilette we keep.

Berry and maybe Poe go after aggressively.

Draft up the defensive spine heavily.

Create a defense with a ton of young talent, that can carry this team, allow them to pound the ball and never be out of a football game. While having the talent to play aggressively without exposing holes.

Find a big ****ing bully to put in the middle, so we're not watching Compton getting knocked down clinging to ball carriers and tight ends 10 yards down the field.

Not sure either Poe or Berry get out. 

At Defensive Tackle:  Two dudes who immediately jump out at me are Jonathan Hankins from the NYG and Kawan Short from Carolina.  I think they both get out and I think both could play for us.

At Linebacker:  Malcom Smith from the Raiders if he makes it out.  Former Seahawk.  If he gets out you can five star lock that he'll be here.  I'd take a flyer on Lawrence Timmons if Pittsburgh doesn't want him.  He'd be great for the menatlity.  I think if you get one strong ILB we have a couple of youngins that will follow suit or we could draft one.

No one who is worth a **** at Safety ever hits the market.  It is what it is.  We're going to have to draft a player or two there and make it work.  Or make a trade.

3 minutes ago, drowland said:

Offense:  Re-sign Cousins, Garcon and Davis

Defense:  Re-sign Baker

Special Teams: Re-sign Sunburg

Everyone else can walk.

Eric Berry, Lawrence Timmons, Calais Campbell and Dontari Poe would fix the middle of the defense.  But I don't see Scot going crazy in FA.  It's possible they get one big ticket item on defense.  I don't think the Chiefs will be able to keep Poe and Berry.  

If they are serious about improving the defense, they better get at least two, maybe three, impact players via free agency.  That's if the Cousins deal doesn't hamstring them.

Regarding the offense, I agree that they need to re-sign Cousins and Garcon. 

10 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Not sure either Poe or Berry get out. 

At Defensive Tackle:  Two dudes who immediately jump out at me are Jonathan Hankins from the NYG and Kawan Short from Carolina.  I think they both get out and I think both could play for us.

At Linebacker:  Malcom Smith from the Raiders if he makes it out.  Former Seahawk.  If he gets out you can five star lock that he'll be here.  I'd take a flyer on Lawrence Timmons if Pittsburgh doesn't want him.  He'd be great for the menatlity.  I think if you get one strong ILB we have a couple of youngins that will follow suit or we could draft one.

No one who is worth a **** at Safety ever hits the market.  It is what it is.  We're going to have to draft a player or two there and make it work.  Or make a trade.

Short is more of a 3 down lineman than Hankins, correct?

There's a lot of talent on that chiefs D. I could see them resigning Berry for sure, but Poe has a chance to get out. 

I would be ecstatic if we landed Timmons. Holy crap. I'm all for letting the late rounders develop and all, but I'd love to see a heavy investment into that ILB position this year. It's an obvious hole on almost every play. When Compton does actually get himself in the right spot, the rest of the D usually makes a play.

Cailas Campbell (I probably spelled all of that wrong) is set to be a FA too I believe.

If we sign a FA at ILB and DL, and our first three picks are ILB, FS and DL, I think this defense looks entirely different next season.

20 minutes ago, drowland said:

He's shown he'll "go crazy" for a player who is worth it.  We pulled out all of the old tricks for Norman and few if any can resist the Danny Dog and Pony show.

I think the Chiefs can and will find a way to keep both.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Short is more of a 3 down lineman than Hankins, correct?

There's a lot of talent on that chiefs D. I could see them resigning Berry for sure, but Poe has a chance to get out. 

I would be ecstatic if we landed Timmons. Holy crap. I'm all for letting the late rounders develop and all, but I'd love to see a heavy investment into that ILB position this year. It's an obvious hole on almost every play. When Compton does actually get himself in the right spot, the rest of the D usually makes a play.

Cailas Campbell (I probably spelled all of that wrong) is set to be a FA too I believe.

If we sign a FA at ILB and DL, and our first three picks are ILB, FS and DL, I think this defense looks entirely different next season.

Yeah Hankins is a run stopper and short is a 3 down guy.  You pair those two with Baker and it's good depth.  Add in Hood and hopefully a pick and we're looking fine.  We obviously need help on first and second down.  The LB will help on 3rd down.  Smith is perfect for that.  Timmons is perfect for that.  Someone who could play still and change the mentality of the team. 

Timmons is more of a stop gap while Smith is still young enough to be a building block.

Hankins is HUGE though.  Massive dude.  And can penetrate like Baker.

4 minutes ago, DC9 said:

He's shown he'll "go crazy" for a player who is worth it.  We pulled out all of the old tricks for Norman and few if any can resist the Danny Dog and Pony show.

Yeah Hankins is a run stopper and short is a 3 down guy.  You pair those two with Baker and it's good depth.  Add in Hood and hopefully a pick and we're looking fine.  We obviously need help on first and second down.  The LB will help on 3rd down.  Smith is perfect for that.  Timmons is perfect for that.  Someone who could play still and change the mentality of the team. 

Timmons is more of a stop gap while Smith is still young enough to be a building block.

I am absolutely fine with a stop gap like Timmons, especially if we draft an ILB very early. Daniels and Spaight would benefit from that too. I'd almost prefer that to a FA building block. Put a coach on the field and surround him with talented students.

I'd be shocked if we went after both of those DL. I think hood is a decent enough starter and Baker is the star, but there's got to be another talent there to help out. RJF is a major disappointment.

Hopefully Ionidias can contribute next year too. He better ****ing beat out Golston as the back up and someone else be the starter.

I mean, teams can seriously run it on every ****ing down and win.

3 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Norman was unique situation in that he didn't come available until late in the FA signing period.  Most teams had already allocated their cap space elsewhere. The Skins paid market value for him, but would he be here if he had been on the open market day 1 of FA?   

4 minutes ago, drowland said:

Norman was unique situation in that he didn't come available until late in the FA signing period.  Most teams had already allocated their cap space elsewhere. The Skins paid market value for him, but would he be here if he had been on the open market day 1 of FA?   

I think he would have.  He's a blue chip player.

Scot's thing with FA is that he will only pay for a blue chip player and he's shown that.  Everyone else seems to be a potential guy.  Unfortunately that isn't working for the spine of the defense.  Hopefully we take a chance on a few second tier dudes next year that we may have to pay a bit more for.

But folks like Snacks aren't blue chip players and neither was Olivier Vernon.  And you saw how much they made.  He's not going to do that.  Unfortunately for him, I think we're going to need to do that for at least one player (probably two, DT and LB, hopefully three - two DTs and one very good LB) if we're going to be competative on the defensive side of the football.  But I also think that Baker is going to cost more than he's worth (and I love him, but he's going to get paid) and that may force another difficult decision.

Add in FA-

Sign Guard Chance Warmack, Ron Leary, or Kevin Zeitler (ties with Jay G) on the first day of free agency and push hard for Eric Berry (no way KC lets him go)

Sign ILB Zach Brown

Sign OLB Melvin Ingram (enough with the Junior Galette experiment)

Sign WR Terelle Pryor

Sign CB A.J. Bouye

Re-sign -

Kirk Cousins

• 5 yrs, $116,171,601
  • Avg. Salary: $23,234,320

Desean Jackson

• 3 yrs, $22,857,388
  • Avg. Salary: $7,619,129
  •  

Chris Baker

Vernon Davis

• 3 yrs, $5,438,558
  • Avg. Salary: $1,812,853
  •  

Ziggy Hood

Bad John Sullivan

Greg Toler

Duke Ihenacho

Terrance Garvin

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I am absolutely fine with a stop gap like Timmons, especially if we draft an ILB very early. Daniels and Spaight would benefit from that too. I'd almost prefer that to a FA building block. Put a coach on the field and surround him with talented students.

I'd be shocked if we went after both of those DL. I think hood is a decent enough starter and Baker is the star, but there's got to be another talent there to help out. RJF is a major disappointment.

I think RJF has been fantastic this year.

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is exactly what we'd like to see happen, so that means there's no chance McClu will come close to doing this. I trust the guy, but he certainly doesn't do the "common sense" thing. 

It's possible that the ineptitude of this defense will drive him to allocate more resources than the bottom of the barrel leftovers, which he's currently trying to work with. I'm all for bargain shopping, but when I have no bread, I'll pay the extra $1 at whole foods.

6 minutes ago, CTskin said:

This is exactly what we'd like to see happen, so that means there's no chance McClu will come close to doing this. I trust the guy, but he certainly doesn't do the "common sense" thing. 

It's possible that the ineptitude of this defense will drive him to allocate more resources than the bottom of the barrel leftovers, which he's currently trying to work with. I'm all for bargain shopping, but when I have no bread, I'll pay the extra $1 at whole foods.

If he almost completely sits out of FA this year, while swimming in cap money like Scrooge McDuck and waits to see what floats to the top after the flush, I'll be off the band wagon.

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

How do you feel about Hood?

I'd re-sign him.  He's been a good rotational guy.

I think if you have Baker, Hankins, Short, Hood, RJF, and a pick or two you're in good shape.

11 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Sign ILB Zach Brown

Never heard of him, but he looks good in a Rex Ryan defense :ols:

39 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Add in FA-

Sign OLB Melvin Ingram (enough with the Junior Galette experiment)

Sign WR Terelle Pryor

Huge fan of getting those two.

45 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If he almost completely sits out of FA this year, while swimming in cap money like Scrooge McDuck and waits to see what floats to the top after the flush, I'll be off the band wagon.

Agreed. Assuming we re-sign Cousins, a WR, Baker, we will be left with $25Mish... Plenty to address the defensive positions of need. He sold me on all of the Jeron Johnson/David Bruton/Kendall Reyes signings, but I'm not falling for it again. I need to see that $25M bring in a couple new toys.

For all those looking at Terrel Pryor, stop. McClu doesn't pay WRs and this guys will command BIG money. Sidenote- very cool to see a college QB make such an impressive transition to WR.

Archived