Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

23 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Just saying, if he's looking for 12/yr I'd offer him 2, maybe 3 yr deal for 8 per. I'm sure he'll get more elsewhere, but if he's looking to be the guy in another good offense outside of Pitt, that spot is here. Him and David Johnson are the best 3-down backs in the league, getting a talent like him in this draft will require a top-16 pick

No way do we put that much into the run game. Image what would happen to our defense with 8 mil going into an ILB.

We already have an average run game. We're better adding that money to a position of need, not want.

Especially for a guy who'll miss time. There's no way we go after him.

DJ was picked just before MJ. Certainly not in the top 15.

Tony Jefferson

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-10-best-values-in-the-nfl-this-season/

2. Tony Jefferson, S, Arizona Cardinals

Entered league: 2013 undrafted free agent

2016 overall grade: 89.8 (No. 2 safety)

2016 position salary ranking: 46th-highest-paid safety

Since signing as an undrafted free agent, Jefferson has played over 2,400 snaps for the Cardinals the past three and a half seasons. And like Bouye, Jefferson re-signed the one-year tender for $1.67 million and has seen 2016 be by far his best season to date. He is currently allowing only a 44 percent completion rate into his coverage, as well as an NFL passer rating of 51.9—the lowest among safeties with more than seven targets into their coverage. Jefferson is also dominating in the run game, as he has yet to miss a tackle, and is the top safety in the league in run-stop percentage (9.2). Both he and Bouye will look to cash in as unrestricted free agents this offseason.

57 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:
1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Just saying, if he's looking for 12/yr I'd offer him 2, maybe 3 yr deal for 8 per. I'm sure he'll get more elsewhere, but if he's looking to be the guy in another good offense outside of Pitt, that spot is here. Him and David Johnson are the best 3-down backs in the league, getting a talent like him in this draft will require a top-16 pick

David Johnson was drafted in the third round, though. Bell in the second round. Guys like him and Bell can be found.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jefferson is also dominating in the run game, as he has yet to miss a tackle, and is the top safety in the league in run-stop percentage (9.2).

Sign me up. Right now. Where's the pen? 

23 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

still pissed we passed on Noah Spence, though... He's a man beast and I was propping him up all last season. Dude is second in sacks for rookies and he's playing hurt. He's going to dominate at 100%

Weren't we saying that about Preston Smith after last year?

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Weren't we saying that about Preston Smith after last year?

Preston Smith doesn't have the talent or athletic ability near Spence, IMO.

Spence would have been a top-10 pick if not for off-field issues and transferring to a small school.

After a standout performance against the Seahawks in Week 12, Buccaneers defensive end Noah Spence has been selected as the NFL’s Rookie of the Week. Spence was voted this week’s winner by the fans, becoming the first Tampa Bay player to win the award this season.

In the Buccaneers’ 14-5 victory over Seattle, Spence was responsible for 1.5 of the Buccaneers’ six sacks. He also forced a fumble and recorded five tackles. It’s the second award that Spence has won this week. On Thursday, he was selected by the NFL as their Defensive Rookie of the Month for November.

This dude is going to be a force for years...

But I digress, since it is the FA thread.

19 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Yeah there are multiple defenders from the Card who are appealing.  I don't think Jefferson is a break the bank type of player so I think he might be in Scot's range.  Just adding Jefferson and C. Campbell IMO would make a big difference.  

The defense needs some disrupters.  They are 20th in turnovers, worst in the league in third and long, almost dead last in red zone defense.  They IMO need guys who can collapse the pocket from the middle and make plays on the back end.  I rewatched the highlight where the Cardinals recovered their own fumble -- Cooley pointed this out in his film study today -- you see Baker just walking after the running back gets past him versus keeping with the chase, then the fumble happens and then Baker hustles but by then its too late because he's a foot behind.   I recall against the Cowboys there was a play where Dak had to go back a couple of feet, then he ran laterally.  And Baker just stood and watched him versus bother chasing him -- and yeah it looked like he had a shot at him.  I am picking on Baker some since he seems to be one of the more vocal players on the team -- I think Baker is decent but not a game changer.  They don't IMO have a game changer at DE.   Bringing one or two of them in would I think improve this defense by leaps and bounds.  They need a Sheldon Richardson, type IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I was all aboard the Spence train as well. Him and Chris Jones. But I've realized that getting excited after one season will lead to heartbreak most of the time lol.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah there are multiple defenders from the Card who are appealing.  I don't think Jefferson is a break the bank type of player so I think he might be in Scot's range.  Just adding Jefferson and C. Campbell IMO would make a big difference.  

The defense needs some disrupters.  They are 20th in turnovers, worst in the league in third and long, almost dead last in red zone defense.  They IMO need guys who can collapse the pocket from the middle and make plays on the back end.  I rewatched the Cardinals recover their own fumble -- Cooley pointed this out in his film study today -- you see Baker just walking after the running back gets past him versus keeping with the chase, then the fumble happens and then Baker hustles but by then its too late because he's a foot behind.   I recall against the Cowboys there was a play where Dak had to go back a couple of feet, then he ran laterally.  And Baker just stood and watched him versus bother chasing him -- and yeah it looked like he had a shot at him.  I am picking on Baker some since he seems to be one of the more vocal players on the team -- I think Baker is decent but not a game changer.  They don't IMO have a game changer at DE.   Bringing one or two of them in would I think improve this defense by leaps and bounds.  They need a Sheldon Richardson, type IMO.

He's older and who knows what he wants, but I'd be interested in bringing in Julius Peppers on a vet min sort of deal if  we could.

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Spence would have been a top-10 pick if not for off-field issues and transferring to a small school.

Not quite.  His off-field issues were just party drugs, but Spence had been clean for awhile.  He was sending the results of his pee tests every week to every team in the NFL for a year before he was drafted.  He played well at his school, but not dominant like you would've thought.  He looked to have a few limitations.  From that he wasn't a Top 10 prospect.  I thought he should've gone higher than he did.  Dodd and Ogbah looked like worse prospects, but both went ahead of him.

Physically, Preston Smith is a better prospect than Spence.  But size, length, etc aren't everything.

22 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Don't get me wrong, I was all aboard the Spence train as well. Him and Chris Jones. But I've realized that getting excited after one season will lead to heartbreak most of the time lol.

He's older and who knows what he wants, but I'd be interested in bringing in Julius Peppers on a vet min sort of deal if  we could.

Peppers is about 6 years older than C. Campbell and openly talking about possible retirement so doubt he'd come back at the minimum.  Among other people who posted at the time, I wanted C. Campbell in the draft, we had his D line coach from UM, thought it might go down when he dropped down in the 2nd round but Vinny knows best thankfully instead we got Kelly, Thomas and Davis with weapons like those who will stop Jim Zorn's prolific WCO? :ols:

http://arizonasports.com/story/952830/calais-campbell-underrated-cardinals-pro-football-focus/

Pro Football Focus, for example, gave Campbell his due after the Cardinals’ 31-23 winagainst Washington. Campbell graded out as the best defensive player for Arizona and he earned a chunk of extra credit thanks to his bull rush and strip-sack of quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Another week, another chance for Calais Campbell to show why he might be the most underrated player in all of football. He didn’t just make the biggest play of the game when he strip-sacked Kirk Cousins, he set the tone by constantly shrinking the pocket with his ability to push linemen about, or just work around them to make life uncomfortable for Cousins.

The defensive end closed with a sack, four quarterback hurries and a batted pass, one that was a near-interception that dropped through his hands after his lost sight of the ball.

“You know, as soon as I batted it I looked up but I looked up in the wrong direction,” Campbell said on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM’s Off the Edge show Monday. “I couldn’t find it so I was looking around to see if it hit the ground already.

“That’s supposed to be easy money, that’s a game-changer.”

For the season, Campbell has been disrupting plays on a consistent basis.

He has four games of multiple quarterback hits and is averaging nearly two hurries per game, according to PFF. He has four sacks, one interception and five passes defended to go with 39 tackles.

14 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not quite.  His off-field issues were just party drugs, but Spence had been clean for awhile.  He was sending the results of his pee tests every week to every team in the NFL for a year before he was drafted.  He played well at his school, but not dominant like you would've thought.  He looked to have a few limitations.  From that he wasn't a Top 10 prospect.  I thought he should've gone higher than he did.  Dodd and Ogbah looked like worse prospects, but both went ahead of him.

Physically, Preston Smith is a better prospect than Spence.  But size, length, etc aren't everything.

physically yes, but Smith has never played IMO like Spence. He is absolutely dominant. He was the better player at OSU when him and Bosa were on the same line.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Peppers is about 6 years older than C. Campbell and openly talking about possible retirement so doubt he'd come back at the minimum.  Among other people who posted at the time, I wanted C. Campbell in the draft, we had his D line coach from UM, thought it might go down when he dropped down in the 2nd round but Vinny knows best thankfully instead we got Kelly, Thomas and Davis with weapons like those who will stop Jim Zorn's prolific WCO? :ols:

Calais will probably cost a pretty penny and ask for more. I figure it wouldn't be worth a shot to see if Peppers would be interested in continuing. He's had a pretty solid year on limit snaps. It wouldn't be bad to bring him in for rotational purposes. 

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Calais will probably cost a pretty penny and ask for more. I figure it wouldn't be worth a shot to see if Peppers would be interested in continuing. He's had a pretty solid year on limit snaps. It wouldn't be bad to bring him in for rotational purposes. 

My hunch is Scot might try to bring a marquee DT versus going cheap and hoping to get lucky.  I like Scot's approach so far with building this roster but I am guessing he takes a different path this time with the D line where it will be addressed with a higher sense or urgency this off season.   

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My hunch is Scot might try to bring a marquee DT versus going cheap and hoping to get lucky.  I like Scot's approach so far with building this roster but I am guessing he takes a different path this time with the D line where it will be addressed with a higher sense or urgency this off season.   

Makes sense. I don't think he can afford to make any mistakes in terms of fixing the DL. Reyes, Paea... none of the lower tier options seemed to have worked.

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Makes sense. I don't think he can afford to make any mistakes in terms of fixing the DL. Reyes, Paea... none of the lower tier options seemed to have worked.

Arguably RJF, Jenkins and Hood are OK and cheap.  Paea and Knighton didn't work out.      But yeah I'd be very surprised if Scot didn't swing for the fences either in FA or the draft or both when it came to the D line, this time.

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

David Johnson was drafted in the third round, though. Bell in the second round. Guys like him and Bell can be found.  

Matt Jones was drafted in the third round too. Le'veon, a known bonafide stud, is a long shot but it would be extremely naive for Scot not to at least reach out to his agent. All-pros don't hit UFA often, Scot isn't shy grabbing the ones that do

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

No way do we put that much into the run game. Image what would happen to our defense with 8 mil going into an ILB.

We already have an average run game. We're better adding that money to a position of need, not want.

Especially for a guy who'll miss time. There's no way we go after him.

DJ was picked just before MJ. Certainly not in the top 15.

I understand your point, and agree resources should be allocated towards your D. My point mostly is, if you draft a RB outside of round 1, it is a massive uncertainty. As you mentioned, Matt jones and David Johnson were four picks apart. Getting Le'veon is a long shot, and 8-mill is expensive, but he's a 3-down force that defenses game plan around. I like Robert Kelley but he was undrafted for a reason

to me this screams, first line of defense, big body DTs -- you add a Hankins and a Calais Campbell -- what the doctor ordered IMO.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/goal-go-situations-another-problem-area-redskins-defense

In the third quarter of the Redskins’ Week 3 game against the Giants, New York drove to a first and goal at the Washington 10. A Trent Murphy sack and two incompletions later, Josh Brown came in and kicked a field goal.

Since then, opponents have had goal to go situations 12 times. They have scored touchdowns on every one of them.

The stop against the Giants was one of just two all year. They had one against the Cowboys in Week 2. Their opponents’ goal to go success rate is 90.5 percent. That’s the second worst in the NFL.

The failures have been costly. On Sunday, the Cardinals recovered a Kirk Cousins fumble and returned it to the Washington 10. The Redskins led 13-10 at the time and coming out of that situation with the game tied would have been large. But on third and goal at the six Carson Palmer hit Michael Floyd with a touchdown pass and the Cardinals had both the lead and the momentum.

Opponents usually haven’t had to work that hard. Teams have run 21 plays in goal to go and they have 10 touchdowns.

On Thanksgiving Day, the Cowboys got to goal to go three times. A stop on any one of them would have been a boost to the Redskins and would have changed the dynamic of the game. But Dallas was three for three.

The goal to go problems are a subset of the Redskins’ problems with red zone defense in general. Opponents have scored touchdowns on 27 of 40 red zone trips, a 67.5 percent success rate that puts the Redskins 30th in the NFL.  

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, we should spend $8 mil a year on a RB because you have to draft them in the top of the first round and your example is 2 backs from the late second/early third round?

Solid.

You can find the discrepancy of pro-bowl running backs in last 20 years round by round. Heavily populated in first round, you draft a RB after round 1 it's a near toss-up. I could give hundred of examples but I'm sure others than yourself get my point. I guess I can't assume you've seen a lot of Le'veon bell if you're this caught up about 8 mill/year. I will assume you watched the Redskins game on Sunday, and what David Johnson did. That's Le'veon Bell. Not worth 8 mill? Ok. 

1 minute ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

You can find the discrepancy of pro-bowl running backs in last 20 years round by round. Heavily populated in first round, you draft a RB after round 1 it's a near toss-up. I could give hundred of examples but I'm sure others than yourself get my point. I guess I can't assume you've seen a lot of Le'veon bell if you're this caught up about 8 mill/year. I will assume you watched the Redskins game on Sunday, and what David Johnson did. That's Le'veon Bell. Not worth 8 mill? Ok. 

I'm not saying he isn't worth $8 million.

I'm saying us using $8mil on the running back position, isn't going to help us that much.

I mean, it would probably get us closer to the 40+ points we need to score to win, because our defense is so bad, but it'd be a much smarter investment to actually sure up the defense.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think we'll draft one high. Not sure who will ultimately be available in FA but my guess is any marquee DL will gets vastly overpaid and we won't be players. 

Archived