Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Many of them mediocre, not impactful...SM's personnel decisions and lack thereof, have contributed to an awful defense....if you can't accept that; then that's your problem.

You're one rebut to everything is Harrison... who was not worth what he got paid.  And most of the other rookie d-linemen that were available early on are on IR...

But what Scot has done, is he has made the edges of our defense pretty darn good and has ensured that we have the money and picks to address the spine now.  We have three good to legit corners and good DEs.  We're in a pretty good position to tack on some talent to that defense this year and pair it with an offense that is going to be outstanding for a few years to come. 

10 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I was under the impression you had a foolproof win now plan, but I guess we'll have til you're good and ready.

We can't sign free agents until March :)

52 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

No, let's not.

You're constantly calling him out as incompetent, yet here we are. Back to back winning seasons for the first time in forever, AFTER taking out the bulk of shannies trash.

4/5ths of our offensive line is new and young and Kirk has **** tons of time to throw.

We have one of the best offenses, defense is ****. But it's the least funded in the league. ST is way ****ing better.

Give up your sorry ass witch hunt man. It's tired.

This is quite funny.....I love how SM gets credit for the 2014 draft because they used his scouting service as a tool......SM brought in one of the 5 OL..Scherff...A Guard...with the 5th pick in the draft.

22 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Come on, man... you've already received a penalty for a rule 11. You're killing me here. Not only are you generally unpleasant, agenda-driven and antagonistic in the way you debate here, but you don't seem to give a damn about the board's rules. 

It's interesting how those two things often go hand in hand. Remove the pic from your quote, please. Do it quickly because another Mod might see it and not be so lenient. I'd rather not penalize you again, myself. 

I know you hate me right now, but believe me when I say I'd rather you get on board here and become a productive contributor versus the path you're going down as it is. Help me help you. :)  

I have no agenda whatsoever....outside of winning.....I'm very nice....ask DC9 :)

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

OK. Let's dig into this...

Oliver Vernon: 5 years 80M, with 52.5 Guaranted. (Average of 17M)

As of today: 49 Tackles, 35 solo, 14 assist, 8 sacks, 1 FF.

Picking a random guy to compare....

Trent Murphy... 35 Tackles, 21 solo, 14 assist, 8 Sacks, 3 FF.

And Vernon plays much more snaps than Murphy... Sounds like a huge signing to come for Murphy when he'll hit FA market.

To add onto this.  Vernon isn't getting to the QB as much as last season either.  Last season Vernon had 35 QB hits, there's a big drop off this season.  The 35 QB hits looks more and more like an outlier, he had 13 in 2014, and 16 in 2013.

Vernon:

Snaps - 809

TFL - 15

QB Hits - 17

Murphy

Snaps - 472

TFL - 8

QB Hits - 18

With A LOT fewer snaps, Murphy's production is pretty good.  You'd have to think Murphy might have a few more TFL (maybe not 15) if he had Damon Harrison and Johnathan Hankins clogging up the inside like Vernon does.  Vernon is a quality player, but not nearly worth his price tag.  I think you can look at the Vernon deal, with some hindsight now, and say the Giants GM still messed up.  Could he have gotten Vernon for 16 million per year?  What about 15 million?  Or 14 million?  Who exactly was he bidding like crazy against?  From what I remember this signing happened right when FA started.  Vernon's agent played the Giants GM.

17 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I have no agenda whatsoever....outside of winning.....I'm very nice....ask DC9 :)

I'm sure you are a nice guy, but when there's little give and take in your debates as well as a lack of acknowledgement of the points others make, and then the vast majority of your posts, no matter the thread, seem to go in one direction even though the points you've presented have been made by you a million times and largely refuted by others... yeah, it's hard for me to believe it's not agenda-driven. 

But that's fine. Just follow the board rules. Appreciate you deleting the pic from the quote. That's a solid step in the right direction. :) 

26 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

But the list is out now.

Every GM worth their salt has a plan right now so let's here yours!

Please!  I need enlightenment!

6 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I'm sure you are a nice guy, but when there's little give and take in your debates as well as a lack of acknowledgement of the points others make, and then the vast majority of your posts, no matter the thread, seem to go in one direction even though the points you've presented have been made by you a million times and largely refuted by others... yeah, it's hard for me to believe it's not agenda-driven. 

But that's fine. Just follow the board rules. Appreciate you deleting the pic from the quote. That's a solid step in the right direction. :) 

Read the roster thread... he's been handled several times.

What he doesn't realize is that most of us read every thread in the stadium, he's just looking for a new audience is all.  Still selling that snake oil.

Just now, Monk4thaHALL said:

It's got to be the most reassuring thing in the world to be an Arsenal fan, I mean, from year to year all you got figure out is 3rd or 4th place. 

Mustafi was a massive get.  You guys should get a round further based on that depending on the draw.  And if Xhaka can keep his cool.

Rarely works in NFL football, though.  One or two pieces but not several like that.

1 minute ago, DC9 said:

What he doesn't realize is that most of us read every thread in the stadium, he's just looking for a new audience is all.  Still selling that snake oil.

Still a wide margin from KC-Clybun / NC-17 (whoever) in all honesty. I don't see contrarian just for the sake of it. default_TwoCents.gif

Just now, DC9 said:

Read the roster thread... he's been handled several times.

LOL....I actually think these new threads are created to set me off (ok, maybe not).....just waiting for a new "GMSM is the best GM in football" thread.

2 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I will do it....for you....for Jurgen!    The master free agency plan will be delivered later tonight.

3 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

LOL....I actually think these new threads are created to set me off (ok, maybe not).....just waiting for a new "GMSM is the best GM in football" thread.

Honestly don't think of you that much, mate.  Just waiting for you to get on board cause you're not an idiot, you're just playing the fool at the moment.

Someone made a post earlier somewhere on the board essentially saying that if 1 student is doing poorly in a class, then the student can blame themselves. If every student is doing poorly in a class, then the teacher needs to reasses how they do their job. 

My point is if everyone is telling you that you're wrong, you're probably wrong. 

20 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Still a wide margin from KC-Clybun / NC-17 (whoever) in all honesty. I don't see contrarian just for the sake of it. default_TwoCents.gif

Oh Clyburn... that dude was something. :ols:

13 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

Someone made a post earlier somewhere on the board essentially saying that if 1 student is doing poorly in a class, then the student can blame themselves. If every student is doing poorly in a class, then the teacher needs to reasses how they do their job. 

My point is if everyone is telling you that you're wrong, you're probably wrong. 

I'm alright with differing points of view for sure.  I don't like echo chambers (ask the Nats thread where they hate me).  But if you're literally pushing the same complaints (in this case we didn't draft Williams and we didn't sign Snacks) and it's been shown to you time after time why we didn't then it just gets flat out annoying.

What we have done is assembled a world class offense (that can obviously stand for some red zone improvement - I think that comes with a healthy Doctson and Reed, though) and we've got the outside of the defense.  With 9 picks and a ton of money.

THAT is why you good BPA.  So now you can address those 3 positions that'll put us over the top to contend... with 9 picks and about 20 million in cap space.

5 hours ago, CBass1724 said:

You should look at the fact that this team is in a million times better position than it was when he took over.  We've gone from a 4-12 squad to a team that has a chance to win every single god damned week.  Why do you think that is?  

The reason we are good is Kirk Cousins, without him this team is garbage.

Scott drafted 2 players that will be long term Redskins, 2 players out of 2 drafts.

18 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I'm alright with differing points of view for sure. 

100% agree. I don't want a yes man and I enjoy a good discussion/debate.  But when one person keeps saying the same thing over and over but the majority keeps refuting them, then it's a waste of time reasoning with that person. 

14 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Scott drafted 2 players that will be long term Redskins, 2 players out of 2 drafts.

Scherff, Crowder, Cravens, Fuller, Doctson, Preston. Even if two of those don't last, that still leaves you with four. And it's a couple of years premature to grade a 2015 and 2016 draft class. Especially with Doctson being red shirted. 

21 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

The reason we are good is Kirk Cousins, without him this team is garbage.

How on Earth do you know this?

Preston Smith will be fine, Arie K has a shot, he was always a developmental guy and he's in year 2... Same with Spaight... and Jones has a shot to rebound...

Doctson could be a stud (look at Perriman if you need inspiration), Cravens, Fuller and I think they're pretty high on Daniels cause he's a thumper.

34 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Preston Smith will be fine, Arie K has a shot, he was always a developmental guy and he's in year 2... Same with Spaight... and Jones has a shot to rebound...

Doctson could be a stud (look at Perriman if you need inspiration), Cravens, Fuller and I think they're pretty high on Daniels cause he's a thumper.

I'm a huge fan of GMSM. Mostly because of his past drafts including with SF. But I think the jury is still out, in a big way. I don't think it's far fetched to ask how this team would perform if we didn't have Kirk, some national pundits have put Kirk as a top-7 MVP candidate. 

There are some who continuously and aimlessly bash Scot because the middle of the defense is the worst in the league. Ignore them. But I think those who are split on what Scot has done are fair and have decent points. 

55 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I'm talking about as of today, I can't predict the future anymore than you can but Smith is disappointing, Cravens is good but he still needs to secure a position and stay away from those concussions, Fuller is one more bad year from being cut and I'm not even going there on Josh, I've already ****ed enough about him.

2 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

This is quite funny.....I love how SM gets credit for the 2014 draft because they used his scouting service as a tool......SM brought in one of the 5 OL..Scherff...A Guard...with the 5th pick in the draft.

Bruce is the one who brought up Scot in the context of the 2014 draft so I'd gather at the minimum Scot's input was meaningful.    The funny assumption IMO is that while Bruce hired Scot to get player recommendations -- Bruce ignored said recommendations and better yet was so unimpressed with Scot's recommendations that he chased him to be the Redskins GM?  Bruce explained Scot gave him his grades on players -- I don't think its a wild deduction that among the players Bruce picked, Scot had them graded highly. 

I gathered you'd ignore it but for those interested I'll see if I can find the Bruce interview where he said Scot's recommendations in 2014 where very good.   I recall  hearing the interview but I am having a hard time placing it.

I am a consultant myself albeit in a different profession. When I am being paid by a client and I give them recommendations -- the clients do tend to take my recommendations hence why bother paying me to make them?  If you want to say Bruce deserves credit.   I agree with that considering he ultimately made the call.  However, Bruce by his own admission isn't a scout -- he's more the money-business operation guy.  Considering all of that, I think the odds are pretty high Scot graded the players they took very highly. 

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Bruce-Allen-Scot-Was-The-Right-Man/8553b6e3-68e0-4ccd-b9c9-aca0cc2d6d32

In talks back and forth about future prospects, Allen gauged his interest in a return to the team side of things, and when he realized McCloughan was a legitimate candidate, the Redskins got the ball rolling on his eventual hiring.

“When we hired his scouting service last summer, obviously I was interested in his talents and I trusted his opinion on players,” he said. “The reason you sign up for a brand new company [and] scouting service is you trust the source. I trusted Scot’s opinion for a number of years, and I really thought it would help us if he had stayed in that business. …His scouting service was going to give us like a national scout who has a valuable opinion to help [director of player personnel] Scott Campbell.”

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Yeah, and that's why he's not been penalized for anything like KC was. 

And it's also why I'm hoping I can steer him away from going down that path. 

To me, one of the biggest testaments to what SM has done to date is the way the team finished last season.Injuries and holes throughout the roster he found a way to patchwork a team together that won the division and made it to the playoffs.Players such as Pierre Thomas and others that Scott found played a huge part in what the Redskins accomplished in 2015.Personally I like the direction the team is headed and am looking  forward to seeing what they look like to begin next season.With the probable 9 to11 draft picks and close to $30 mill.in cap space, after Cousins is signed,I think this team will have the strongest roster it's had in a long time.

Archived