Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

1 hour ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I'm a huge fan of GMSM. Mostly because of his past drafts including with SF. But I think the jury is still out, in a big way. I don't think it's far fetched to ask how this team would perform if we didn't have Kirk, some national pundits have put Kirk as a top-7 MVP candidate. 

There are some who continuously and aimlessly bash Scot because the middle of the defense is the worst in the league. Ignore them. But I think those who are split on what Scot has done are fair and have decent points. 

I don't disagree about that, but he's had a pretty good couple of drafts.

1 hour ago, jschuck12001 said:

I'm talking about as of today, I can't predict the future anymore than you can but Smith is disappointing, Cravens is good but he still needs to secure a position and stay away from those concussions, Fuller is one more bad year from being cut and I'm not even going there on Josh, I've already ****ed enough about him.

As of today, after 2 drafts... it's not bad to have 3-4 starters out of those drafts and several possibles.

You're thinking your 1sts and 2nds are starters and your 3rds are fringe starters.  Everyone else is a project.

Most dudes take a few years to develop, which we finally have the position coaches to do.

Some of the comments about me are quite amusing, misleading and/or completely false..but that's besides the point...

The time has come for the 2017 FA plan....I'm only dealing with UFA's and with starters....and I'm assuming we're staying in the 3-4..unfortunately.

In regards to our own roster....I'm cutting DHall and Kory...If at some point we add a Guard, I would cut Lavauo...Niles Paul is trade bait or released.

That's a savings of 10 mil..14 mil if we cut Lavauo.

I'm keeping Cousins, Garcon, Vernon Davis....I would not pay Baker big money, but would like to keep him....DJax is gone.

I'm only looking to spend money in 3 areas....DL, Safety, WR.....

RB, OG, ILB and Situational pass rusher can be addressed in the draft.

Here we go....

DL -  I would have loved Dontari Poe a few years ago, but now he's damaged goods....Kawann Short is a 4-3 DT.

If they don't re-sign Baker, I would look to sign 2 out of the following 5....

1) Brandon Williams

2) Bennie Logan

3) Calais Campbell

4) Jonathan Hankins

5) Sylvester Williams

Safety:

1) Eric Berry -  If he's not franchised, I would definitely make a big offer

2) Tony Jefferson -  The most realistic option

3) TJ McDonald - Although he's probably more of a SS and my guess is that they move Cravens there.

WR -  Can't rely on Doctson....assuming they let DJax go and re-sign Garcon.

In no particular order....a good mix of size and speed options.

1) Terrelle Pryor

2) Markus Wheaton

3) Kenny Stills

4) Marquise Goodwin

5) Marquess Wilson

6) Markus Wheaton

I'm not asking for much, GMSM...stay away from the dumpster is all I ask.

Rumor has it that the jets might part ways with mangold. True he's 32 I believe, and he's on the ir now due to a foot injury. But he might be a great addition. I'm not knocking long by saying to give a look at mangold. 

My thought is this...

trent, long, mangold, sherref, moses

= a damn great online with no nonsense! 

But then again my main concern is the dline. However, this addition would be a wise one! Having seen him on a weekly basis, the guy is a great leader as well. 

Yeah dude you might get one of those DTs... they're all gonna cost.

Especially if we keep Baker.  If we don't keep Baker you might get two.

And signing a number 1 WR.

8 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Safety:

1) Eric Berry -  If he's not franchised, I would definitely make a big offer

2) Tony Jefferson -  The most realistic option

3) TJ McDonald - Although he's probably more of a SS and my guess is that they move Cravens there.

Would be surprised if any of these three made it out.

13 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Yeah dude you might get one of those DTs... they're all gonna cost.

Especially if we keep Baker.  If we don't keep Baker you might get two.

And signing a number 1 WR.

Would be surprised if any of these three made it out.

If they re-sign Baker, I'm only asking to spend money on one DT.......you might be right about the Safeties, although I think Jefferson might be available....they're already paying big money to Peterson and Mathieu.

The names I mentioned were not number one WR's.

10 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

If they re-sign Baker, I'm only asking to spend money on one DT.......you might be right about the Safeties, although I think Jefferson might be available....they're already paying big money to Peterson and Mathieu.

The names I mentioned were not number one WR's.

I think Pryor, who I'd want badly, is going to be getting number 1 money.

Safety is just one of those positions that is like QB... if a team finds one that is good they don't let them go.  I'd love to see one come in but we're just going to wait until one is available where we pick in the draft.  It is what it is there.

We should be able to get a DT and an ILB (at least one of each though) that will substantially make our defense better, even if Scot has to step out of his comfort zone a bit.  That I think most of us will agree with you on.

Hopefully Baker doesn't try and break the bank.  He's been a top linemen for us for a long time now.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Kevin Zeitler should be on this team on the first day of FA... plug and play, immediate upgrade, we are competing for best OL in the league. Moses, Scherff, Long, Zeitler, WIlliams.

Boom

You're one of those dudes who lists the line from right to left while doing it left to right aren't you? :P

3 hours ago, kost203 said:

Rumor has it that the jets might part ways with mangold. True he's 32 I believe, and he's on the ir now due to a foot injury. But he might be a great addition. I'm not knocking long by saying to give a look at mangold. 

My thought is this...

trent, long, mangold, sherref, moses

= a damn great online with no nonsense! 

But then again my main concern is the dline. However, this addition would be a wise one! Having seen him on a weekly basis, the guy is a great leader as well. 

Nah, it would be smarter to keep Long at Center and secure a LG in the draft.  I think Arie K is a dude who needed a couple of years of seasoning, he already made a huge leap from last year to this year when he's had to play.  But we can get another guard in the 4th and be good to go.

10 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I think Pryor, who I'd want badly, is going to be getting number 1 money.

Safety is just one of those positions that is like QB... if a team finds one that is good they don't let them go.  I'd love to see one come in but we're just going to wait until one is available where we pick in the draft.  It is what it is there.

We should be able to get a DT and an ILB (at least one of each though) that will substantially make our defense better, even if Scot has to step out of his comfort zone a bit.  That I think most of us will agree with you on.

Hopefully Baker doesn't try and break the bank.  He's been a top linemen for us for a long time now.

You're one of those dudes who lists the line from right to left while doing it left to right aren't you? :P

I would not Pay #1 WR money to anyone this off-season....so if that's what Pryor will get, pass....

Arizona has a TON of UFA's...I think Jefferson can be gotten.

Baker is our best, but he's inconsistent and turns 30 when the season starts....3 year max offer...6-7 mil per year

I would not spend money on a ILB

16 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Nah, it would be smarter to keep Long at Center and secure a LG in the draft.  I think Arie K is a dude who needed a couple of years of seasoning, he already made a huge leap from last year to this year when he's had to play.  But we can get another guard in the 4th and be good to go.

Then who is our backup center? Sully?

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really don't want to see any major investment into the offense this year.

Hell, franchise Kirk again and let DJax and Garcon go and see if he really is "that guy" who can carry an offense.

So you want to sabotage next year to prove that Kirk can't carry an offense?    Or you think he can carry an offense?

It will be insane if SM goes into the season with Doctson, Crowder, Harris, Grant, Ross and maybe a draft pick....Grant and Ross should not be on the team and Harris will never be more than a 5th receiver....and Doctson just missed an entire season because of tendonitis

Well, like most here, I have my opinions on GMSM and his drafts, but I'm pretty sure this is a FA thread... Most seem to agree the D is our biggest need. Hankins, Logan or Short should all be targets for us. I also want to see a run on Zach Brown out of Buffalo. There should be a focus on Cousins, Baker and receivers that the team wishes to keep. Part of why this team has improved is saying they reward their own and then actually doing it. Cousins and Baker have earned it. I put at least a 2nd round tender on Nsekhe. That's about a 2 mill cost, for a solid swing tackle. (or a second rounder, if someone offers him bigger money). Lavauo is in the final year of his deal. With injuries and issues, I do see Zeitler as a nice option. GMSM doesn't go crazy, but there is a lot of money for next year and it won't all go to Cousins/Baker (and still some left if they go Garcon and/orDJax).

Why anyone would want to invest in another WR is beyond me.  The offense doesn't need much other than a few draft picks at C, or OG.  I dont view WR as an immediate need.  The bulk of the investment should be on Defense.  I dont have a wish list yet because a lot can change, but it looks like the Skins will be able to add some pieces in free agency and I expect a Defensive draft.  McGlooey "should" shore up the Dline, LBers, and Safety positions.  Doesn't look like Joe Barry is going anywhere so we need to give the guy some more talent to work with next year.

17 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

So you want to sabotage next year to prove that Kirk can't carry an offense?    Or you think he can carry an offense?

It will be insane if SM goes into the season with Doctson, Crowder, Harris, Grant, Ross and maybe a draft pick....Grant and Ross should not be on the team and Harris will never be more than a 5th receiver....and Doctson just missed an entire season because of tendonitis

It's not insane. Reed and Crowder are legit and the rest might be.

If the offense was to dip to middle of the road, which I don't think it will and the defense takes a huge step forward, we're a better winning team.

Keeping Vernon Davis over Niles Paul would be a mistake IMO.

The whole basis for Davis' appeal was that he was cheap and might still have a solid year left in him.  Paying more for him would be chasing an unrealistic expectation that he can recreate his numbers from this season.  Ideally we want Reed to be healthy, so Davis shouldn't be on the field as much (at least not in the role of starting tight end).  He's overperformed this year, but I just don't trust that he will be able to maintain it going forward

Paul and Carrier should fulfill the backup roles.  They're younger and will most likely be cheaper after this season than giving Davis a new contract, plus they offer help on special teams.  We gambled on Davis and it paid off.  it would be stupid to double down for more money.  I'd much rather let another team bite on that contract

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

Arie have deceive me so far. Lauvao isn't great by any means this year and he's not starting. So It's a bit disappointing.

If we have to go for a guy at LG, I would go for Ronald Leary here. That's a double strike as the guy is good, and is starting for a division rival. The Cowboys have lots of players tro resign, not much cap space until they sort out the Romo situation. Grabbing Leary would be an interesting coup here :) Pretty sure Callahan still have his number on his smartphone.

1 hour ago, kost203 said:

Then who is our backup center? Sully?

We will have to resign him, which we probably will, since I believe Reiter was the original plan, if not the plan for starting C (**** you Browns!). So I wouldn't rule out the signing of a C late in the Draft. After all, we were also rumored to draft Kelly last year before the Colts took him away from us.

Licht will be out, most likely. Long will remain as starting C, Sully with a short contract, and probably a draftee or UDFA. There's not much going after in this FA market. You'll have a shot at Richburg in 2018 though.

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I don't think it's so crazy.  Keep in mind that Harris is a rookie and low round receivers can become productive WRs.  I don't think anyone is expecting him to morph into a #1 WR but this offense doesn't feature a #1 WR anyways.  So why bust the bank to get one?  In addition to those WRs we still have pass catching TEs in Reed, Davis, Niles Paul and Carrier.  I don't have a problem resigning Davis to a reasonable contract.  Niles Paul has an unfortunate injury bug but if he ever is healthy he is capable of producing.  I haven't been impressed with Carrier but who knows?  If Doctson is a bust it will certainly impact the offense but I think the Skins still have enough.

3 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Kevin Zeitler should be on this team on the first day of FA... plug and play, immediate upgrade, we are competing for best OL in the league. Moses, Scherff, Long, Zeitler, WIlliams.

Boom

Zeitler was paid $8million last year - Lavaou was around $4million.  I'm not opposed to it if the Skins get savings from somewhere else on the Offense. 

Eric Berry is not worth the money he will command on the free market.  I expect the Chiefs to re-sign him, but even though I think he's a hell of a player his on field play won't warrant his highest safety salary...even though he's the best safety in the league arguably. 

We should start our free agent search in the trenches, and if we have money left over we can plug some folks in the back end.  

Archived