Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really don't want to see any major investment into the offense this year.

Hell, franchise Kirk again and let DJax and Garcon go and see if he really is "that guy" who can carry an offense.

Nah, Kirk really needs to be sorted out this year. That way you KNOW how much you're working with year to year.

Big gamble to tag him again and it's not smart.

2 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I would not Pay #1 WR money to anyone this off-season....so if that's what Pryor will get, pass....

Arizona has a TON of UFA's...I think Jefferson can be gotten.

Baker is our best, but he's inconsistent and turns 30 when the season starts....3 year max offer...6-7 mil per year

I would not spend money on a ILB

But you wanted to pay number one money to Vernon, Jenkins, and Snacks? :mellow:

My plan would re-up Baker, grab the other biggen from the Giants, and take one ILB.

If any of those three safeties get loose than I'm with you, we need to be first in line.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really don't want to see any major investment into the offense this year.

Hell, franchise Kirk again and let DJax and Garcon go and see if he really is "that guy" who can carry an offense.

So you want to let 2 of your best skill players on offense walk so you can test your quarterback?  Hell, if that is what you believe might as well just cut the entire oline, let Kirk hike it to himself, and let's see what the guy can do with zero blocking for a year just to see if he can carry the team. :ols:

19 minutes ago, illone said:

So you want to let 2 of your best skill players on offense walk so you can test your quarterback?  Hell, if that is what you believe might as well just cut the entire oline, let Kirk hike it to himself, and let's see what the guy can do with zero blocking for a year just to see if he can carry the team. :ols:

Let's put Tress behind the LS and Kirk in the Wildcat all day long and see if D can stop that!

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

But you wanted to pay number one money to Vernon, Jenkins, and Snacks? :mellow:

My plan would re-up Baker, grab the other biggen from the Giants, and take one ILB.

If any of those three safeties get loose than I'm with you, we need to be first in line.

C'mon man...I can accept fair criticism, but I never said I wanted Vernon or Jenkins....the conversation was about spending money in FA and if it works or not

7 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

C'mon man...I can accept fair criticism, but I never said I wanted Vernon or Jenkins....the conversation was about spending money in FA and if it works or not

And none of those guys were WORTH the money they got.

Norman was worth it and Norman got the money.

To GET any of the dudes we've listed, he's going to have to step out of his comfort zone and sign at least one DT.  It keeps you from rewarding your own and hampers your chances at getting compensatory picks, but with this team being close enough to make the move I think he has to if the deal is right.

2 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I'm a GMSM critic (In case you didn't know), but there is zero chance he gets rid of Garcon and/or DJax without replacing them...it might not be with a #1 WR or 1st round pick, but it will be with two guys who are capable of starting

Well I think his idea was that Doctson was going to replace one of them.  You might consider that rolling the dice - but re-signing a 31 year old WR at a high price carries it's own downsides.  There's definitely a short-term benefit in re-signing Garcon.  Everything will depend on the price - - would you take a cheap draft pick that you thought could develop into a #3 WR in year 2?  That is, instead of a veteran WR that might have declining output in year 2 but you would be stuck with a high price? 

1 hour ago, illone said:

No.

We have Reed who is the focal point of the offense and Crowder who's legit.

We're spending $18 mil on two players who won't sniff 1,000 yards. Some skill players. I think grant can get a disappointing amount of stats too, for a hell of a lot less money.

The point is, those expensive skill players and their gigantic contracts aren't going to get us as close to the SB as much as investing that money on the defense.

Yes, I'm fine letting the offense dip a little and hoping one of 3 WOs already on the roster step up and making a major investment into the defense.

I really do want Kirk signed long term.

19 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Good point.  Scherff is probably more athletic/mobile than Zeitler - I think the idea was to move Zeitler over to LG. 

Leary would be a better move.

15 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

I remember how this board was blowing up for us to sign Byrd, good thing we didn't.

Safety is a great position to have elite skill.  But in this day and age, it's a luxury position.  The game is won and lost in the trenches now more than ever.  And that is coming from someone who played and watched film as a safety at the three major levels.  

I am also not trying to downplay Berry.  He is a helluva player.  But free agents in general are hardly ever worth the penny you pay for them, especially the top signed at their respective position.  You can almost always find a better bargain

I know the cool kids answer about D. Jax versus Garcon -- is among the two Garcon is the guy to bring back hands down.  Garcon is more versatile.   The dude blocks.  He's consistent.  He rarely gets hurt.  He's a tough dude a gamer.  D. Jax on the other hand seems to have the more "me" attitude versus the team, he gets banged up.  He's more of a one trick pony.  What happens if he loses his speed?

Regardless, if I had to pick one, I'd pick D. Jax.  Though I like Garcon, too.  Bullock does it well here with film breakdown, showing how D. Jax on the field dictates coverage and helps the underneath routes.  Of the two of them, D Jax is the harder to replace IMO.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/12/09/who-should-the-redskins-retain-pierre-garcon-or-desean-jackson/?utm_term=.a0ae44af1a07

If I can only have one back, I personally am re-signing Jackson. He is still a very legitimate deep threat and that gives Washington something they don’t have without him. He does so much to open up space and give good match ups to the other receivers on the team, like Jamison Crowder and Jordan Reed. While Garcon is a reliable, trusted receiver for Cousins, Reed and Crowder are also both trusted receivers for Cousins and both are capable of reproducing the type of production Garcon brings. Even Vernon Davis has quickly built up a rapport with Cousins similar to the trust he has in Garcon. But what Jackson offers to the team is, in my opinion, irreplaceable.

I would bring both DJax and Garçon back without hesitation. Get the Cousins deal done, bring back Vernon Davis. Potentially look for an interior OL on the vet FA market, Lang from GB looks the part to me, and the offense is set fair for the medium term...

All that still leaves the team in great cap shape, circa 25 mil to add a top FA on defence, the draft like hell on defence through rounds 1-4........and I think Baker might leave, reckon he takes the cash elsewhere on a vastly over inflated deal....

Pick up a value RB and blocking TE later on and job done..........one thing I'm not sure on is OC, can't gauge where we're heading there.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

No.

We have Reed who is the focal point of the offense and Crowder who's legit.

We're spending $18 mil on two players who won't sniff 1,000 yards. Some skill players. I think grant can get a disappointing amount of stats too, for a hell of a lot less money.

The point is, those expensive skill players and their gigantic contracts aren't going to get us as close to the SB as much as investing that money on the defense.

Yes, I'm fine letting the offense dip a little and hoping one of 3 WOs already on the roster step up and making a major investment into the defense.

I really do want Kirk signed long term.

Green Bay had the same idea. They let their best playmakers walk because they figured they could get the same production from younger players with smaller contracts. Just because the QB spreads the ball around does not mean that the players he throws to deserve small contracts. Cousins will get payed no matter what; it's not worth the risk of crippling our offense in the name of saving money to pay people to play offense.

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Green Bay had the same idea. They let their best playmakers walk because they figured they could get the same production from younger players with smaller contracts. Just because the QB spreads the ball around does not mean that the players he throws to deserve small contracts. Cousins will get payed no matter what; it's not worth the risk of crippling our offense in the name of saving money to pay people to play offense.

But is DJax really a contributor anymore in a way that Crowder isn't? I just made the point in the fADe thread that he's losing that violent quick burst. Is he worth another large contract at 30+? Especially when it will take away from the rest of the team.

I can see an argument for Garcon. Physical and clutch. If he continues down the path of a Boldin, I can see a moderate contract, but he's on record as going to whoever pays him the most.

A possession receiver isn't really a play maker. What kind of contract would you give a 30+WR with 750 receiving yards every year?

Would you give him enough to stop you from signing an ILB? Extending Baker? Signing a NT?

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Crowder is shifty and quick but isn't a burner.  In the combine Crowder ran a 4.56 and a 4.58.   D. Jax is still a burner and the bigger deep threat. 

Big deal. If all he does anymore is straight line speed, he's not worth a monster contract 

DJax is still a great WR. This offense works because we have all these threats. In 4 months time people will be bleating at the crazy money being hurled at FA's, 8mil a year gets you average to good in FA these days. Better the devil you know.

Crowder is an outstanding player, as is Reed.....but Reed will always be a worry from here on in....the chance is there to retain a very solid core around a QB who is going to command 100mil deal. My priority would be to keep an established offensive group around him.

Don't see the problem with 60-70 mil in cap space and the chance the exclusively target defence in the draft. Seems ideal to me.

Archived