Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

FA could be really deep potentially for DL.

Let's hope so. Keep the prices from ballooning, lots of options.

Sign a first tier guy and second tier guy, draft one, high or low, let them fight it out. Hope Ionidias develops(hope he plays more this week, maybe I'll spell his name right).

9 hours ago, skinny21 said:

You know, crazy as this sounds, I wouldn't be all that upset if they let both Garçon and Jackson walk, hope to draft a receiver (or even two), and add 1 (or 2) mid tier receivers.  Of course, there's an obvious flaw in going to the draft with a need in mind, but still...

Re-sign Davis, let Crowder, the rookie(s), the cheaper FA(s), Harris, et al. battle it out for the starting spots.  If Crowder wins, then he moves inside for 3 receiver sets.  

By now, y'all think I'm crazy, but if that money was put to a defensive stud, to go along with other defensive FAs... I really don't think I would complain. 

What if I told you we had them money to do both (keep 1 WR and sign a DT)?

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Well they had tons of calls for trade options in that draft. All those calls stopped after Fowler was picked up at 3.

If Williams was so highly regarded they should have keep coming and Scott would probably have agreed on one.

He also said it more than ever, he really loves scherff. How is that hard to understand?

I won't argue the big money spending spree in FA... Thankfully, we get rid of Vinny long ago.

There's nothing wrong with spending big...as long as you do it on the right players.

I'm sure he really loved Scherff....and if he did rate him higher than Williams; he might have been the only one....in that case, you have to question his talent evaluation.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/jets_sheldon_richardson_muhammad_wilkerson_miss_te.html

General info, re: Bowles, Jets.

Jets' Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson late, no-show to team meetings 'all the time,' per source

Bowles has absolutely no control of that team. It wasn't just Monday night. Richardson seems to be the next headcase. 

Sheldon Richardson: On the Colts' third play, Richardson fell to his knees while rushing against LT Anthony Castonzo. It was reminiscent ...

of Haynesworthless. 

He played only 44 of 73 snaps, his lowest percentage of the season, and wasn't credited with a single tackle. His only contribution was a dumb personal-foul penalty. Basically, he was benched in the second half, appearing in only six of 36 plays.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65404/jets-sheldon-richardson-a-no-show-no-tackles-plenty-of-pine-time

no way they are gonna pay this guy or franchise him. he basically has given up. and whomever picks him up is gonna take a gamble he wont do the same. 1 year prove it deal with incentives! make it happen scott! im in the ny area and the players are shafting bowles. sad, some jet fans I know love him but are blaming bad qb play when its not just that but the whole team. every area

11 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I don't think it has anything to do with Richardson... Look at Revis, Marshall, Fitzpatrick, Wilkerson, Amaro etc.... it's like no one wants to play for Bowles.

I wouldn't hesitate to bring in Richardson. And I would also bring in Vic Fangio the second he leaves Chicago...

I would say it's more of everything. Ruling out Richardson is to blame is injust. Track record regarding his behavior is key here. 

Also, regardless whom we go after dt needs to be addressed and might be addressed both in draft and fa. I would lean towards fa due to the draft not being dt deep as last years. 

8 minutes ago, kost203 said:

I would say it's more of everything. Ruling out Richardson is to blame is injust. Track record regarding his behavior is key here. 

Also, regardless whom we go after dt needs to be addressed and might be addressed both in draft and fa. I would lean towards fa due to the draft not being dt deep as last years. 

And drafting a nose last year. They tend to need some time.

4 hours ago, Bang said:

I am really wanting to keep Garcon. the guy balls out, period,, plays hard, works hard, doesn't drop balls, makes clutch plays, and has a nice mean streak.

He's the quintessential "possession receiver" we all know we need.

Doctson is unproven  and a malingerer...  he can't play because,....  well, nothing the doctors can find. I question his heart and his drive.  i have no idea about his talent. I haven't seen anything to base it on.

Right now, at WR we have three bona-fides in Garcon, DJax and Crowder..  serious threats...  but of the three,, DJax gives me the least going forward. I think the same threat can be developed in Crowder,, he may not have the blinding speed, but he is plenty fast and can get DBs turned around because of his superior route running.  He gets plenty of separation, and we've seen him 'take the top off" as the cliché goes. Maybe i'm wrong, but Djax seems more to me to be a guy who needs a set route to do his thing,, Corwder seems to be able to find the empty spots , runs routes all over the field at all depths, where Jackson only has a (relatively) few routes i see him running. i think Crowder understands more of what he's facing, knows how to beat it with more than speed.
IF, and that is a BIG IF Doctson pans out, with Reed and Garcon suddenly we have three big targets to go with Crowder's gamebreaking ability.

~Bang

Regarding Doctson's heart, it doesn't hurt to keep in mind that he was playing through his injury and hiding it from coaches.  

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

What if I told you we had them money to do both (keep 1 WR and sign a DT)?

Oh, absolutely.  However, what if I told you that letting them both walk meant we could add a well regarded safety and linebacker to that Dlineman?

To be clear, I'm not saying that's the case, but would it make you hesitate if it were? Would you be upset at SM if that's the route he went?

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

There's nothing wrong with spending big...as long as you do it on the right players.

I'm sure he really loved Scherff....and if he did rate him higher than Williams; he might have been the only one....in that case, you have to question his talent evaluation.

In a vacuum, I'm not sure that Scot would have ranked Scherff as the better talent over Williams.  It seems that Scot loved Scherff's intangibles (rightly so, IMO) and thought he was the better fit for this team.

Anyway, this same discussion has occupied plenty of pages on this forum, I'm not sure it's really worth getting into again.

10 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

If he's really a BPA guy then he's probably the only GM who rated Scherff ahead of Leonard Williams. 

I frankly don't understand the confidence people have in SM....And why does anyone think he will seriously address issues in free agency?     Has he he ever spent big money on more than one free agent in an off-season?

I think that Sherff is way more dominant at his position than Leonard Williams is at his position.  They are both studs and there wasn't a wrong pick there.

re: confidence in GMSM - why are you refusing to look at his track record?  He's been super successful wherever he has gone and is highly regarded as a talent evaluator.  Nobody hits on every move they make.  But if you're just trolling....then, well done.  

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Regarding Doctson's heart, it doesn't hurt to keep in mind that he was playing through his injury and hiding it from coaches.

Doctson...  playing?

What, for three plays?
Here's what i know. Team doctors can't find anything wrong. 
He had an injury, then it was pronounced ready for play, and then his achilles was "sore", then the other one, and rookie boy misses the entire season, and his coach doesn't know why.

Until I see otherwise, i question heart, drive, work ethic, and desire.

i see none of them. i might, if i ever saw him, but i don't.

Far as i know, we drafted a wisp of smoke.

~Bang

3 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

The Jaguars spend lots of money last offseason. You can see the results. We've been going this way for so long, we've seen the results as well.

The Giants did it as well last year, results are not so evident to see for everyone also... In all those case, it definately looked like the "Right Players".

3 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I'll make one last answer, because that subject is really getting old around here. But he probably wasn't the only one. If as you think, so many GMs rated Williams that high, then calls would have come when we were on the clock, and Scott would probbly have traded down if the right offer was here. But nodoby called. Which should tell you enough of it. And it's been stated that Scherff was the 3rd player on his BPA list.

Now, regarding the bolded part... Considering the guy's history, nothing personnal, but I would rather question your talent evaluation than his.

I'm out of this subject.

1 hour ago, CBass1724 said:

I think that Sherff is way more dominant at his position than Leonard Williams is at his position.  They are both studs and there wasn't a wrong pick there.

re: confidence in GMSM - why are you refusing to look at his track record?  He's been super successful wherever he has gone and is highly regarded as a talent evaluator.  Nobody hits on every move they make.  But if you're just trolling....then, well done.  

Actually, I have looked at his record......It's you and others praising him that have not looked at his record....He's getting way too much credit for things he did when he was NOT THE GM....He's only been a GM for 4 years...two with the 49ers and two with  the Skins......go look at his track record....it's a record of mediocrity on the field.....it's a mediocre draft and FA record...and I'm grading on the curve.

So many of you are so desperate to have a quality personnel guy that you are overlooking the facts.

I've said it many times that I'm not advocating firing SM, but this time next year, if we're in the same position, coming off another bad off-season...GMSM should be fired.     Here's hoping SM views this off-season very differently....And I hope he realizes that because of his mediocre at best drafting the past two years; he's going to have to spend significant money in FA

44 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

The Jaguars spend lots of money last offseason. You can see the results. We've been going this way for so long, we've seen the results as well.

The Giants did it as well last year, results are not so evident to see for everyone also... In all those case, it definately looked like the "Right Players".

I'll make one last answer, because that subject is really getting old around here. But he probably wasn't the only one. If as you think, so many GMs rated Williams that high, then calls would have come when we were on the clock, and Scott would probbly have traded down if the right offer was here. But nodoby called. Which should tell you enough of it. And it's been stated that Scherff was the 3rd player on his BPA list.

Now, regarding the bolded part... Considering the guy's history, nothing personnal, but I would rather question your talent evaluation than his.

I'm out of this subject.

The Giants are getting great value....Damon Harrison, Janoris Jenkins and Olivier Vernon are playing very well and have greatly improved their defense

16 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

The Giants are getting great value....Damon Harrison, Janoris Jenkins and Olivier Vernon are playing very well and have greatly improved their defense

Have you provided a shopping list yet?

I want to keep 100% tabs on you this offseason...

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Doctson...  playing?

What, for three plays?
Here's what i know. Team doctors can't find anything wrong. 
He had an injury, then it was pronounced ready for play, and then his achilles was "sore", then the other one, and rookie boy misses the entire season, and his coach doesn't know why.

Until I see otherwise, i question heart, drive, work ethic, and desire.

i see none of them. i might, if i ever saw him, but i don't.

Far as i know, we drafted a wisp of smoke.

~Bang

I get you.  I was referring to practicing through the pain though... hiding his injury so that he could practice.  You knowthat part of the season that many players hate?  If that doesn't blip your radar, that's cool.  To me, it's a much clearer sign of character than assuming mysterious injury = lack of heart.

30 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Actually, I have looked at his record......It's you and others praising him that have not looked at his record....He's getting way too much credit for things he did when he was NOT THE GM....He's only been a GM for 4 years...two with the 49ers and two with  the Skins......go look at his track record....it's a record of mediocrity on the field.....it's a mediocre draft and FA record...and I'm grading on the curve.

So many of you are so desperate to have a quality personnel guy that you are overlooking the facts.

I've said it many times that I'm not advocating firing SM, but this time next year, if we're in the same position, coming off another bad off-season...GMSM should be fired.     Here's hoping SM views this off-season very differently....And I hope he realizes that because of his mediocre at best drafting the past two years; he's going to have to spend significant money in FA

You should look at the fact that this team is in a million times better position than it was when he took over.  We've gone from a 4-12 squad to a team that has a chance to win every single god damned week.  Why do you think that is?  Who are you going to give credit to if it's not the GM?  Even if it's not full credit, you have to acknowledge he is a major part of the turnaround in Washington.

Also, when your job titles say "Director of College Scouting", "VP of Player Personnel", and "Senior Personnel Executive" it means you are being relied upon for your scouting/input/opinion/expertise of the available player pool.  That person has major influence in regards to which players are picked.  Do you think he was just on board to collect a paycheck and provide no value?

No matter your response...bless your heart.   

23 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

OK. Let's dig into this...

Oliver Vernon: 5 years 80M, with 52.5 Guaranted. (Average of 17M)

As of today: 49 Tackles, 35 solo, 14 assist, 8 sacks, 1 FF.

Picking a random guy to compare....

Trent Murphy... 35 Tackles, 21 solo, 14 assist, 8 Sacks, 3 FF.

And Vernon plays much more snaps than Murphy... Sounds like a huge signing to come for Murphy when he'll hit FA market.

Janoris Jenkins: 5 years 62.5M with 28.8M Guaranted. (Average of 12.5M)

As of today: 45 Tackles, 41 solo, 4 assist, 1 sack, 15 PD, 2 Ints (26 yards).

Another random guy?

David Amerson! (I love random): 51 tackles, 44 solo, 7 assist, 17 PD, 2 Ints. A reminder of his contract? 4 years 35M 17.5 guaranteed, average of 8.5M.

Onto Damon Harrison: 5 years 46.25M, 24M guaranted, average of 9.25M.

His stats? 72 tackles, 45 solo, 27 assist, 1.5 sacks and 1 PD, 1 FF.

I'm not really sure I want to go with a random guy here...  but this stats line reminds me of...

Mason Foster: 74 Tackles, 48 solo, 26 assist, 0 sacks.1 FF

I'll give it to you that Harrison is a great run stuffer, but that's merely all you get from him, because most DT have much more sacks than him.

OK those guys aren't bad. But if you put into perspective stats from what they cost, they're definately not worth it.

Is it a greatly improved D? Well they were 30 in points last year and 32 in yards. There was no way they could go further down right? Now they're 8 in points and 17 in yards... (we're 23 in yards, just so you know). So that looks like an improvment, I have to admit. But at the same time, we went from 28 to 23 last year, while spending way much more money than them (only the Norman thing when it became an opportunity, and never went into the action of the first days of frenzy of FA).

So as a whole, the Giants spend 200M to have a middle of the pack D.

At the same time, their once great offense, (6 in points in 2015 and 8 in yards), completly went south... to 23 and 26). So they'll have to spend 200M again next year on the offense to have it middle of the pack?

Spending spree is never, never, never, a viable long term solution. Ask Roman Abrahamovitch.

Or almost every Redskins fans that was born in the 70's or 80's, they know.

42 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

You should look at the fact that this team is in a million times better position than it was when he took over.  We've gone from a 4-12 squad to a team that has a chance to win every single god damned week.  Why do you think that is?  Who are you going to give credit to if it's not the GM?  Even if it's not full credit, you have to acknowledge he is a major part of the turnaround in Washington.

Also, when your job titles say "Director of College Scouting", "VP of Player Personnel", and "Senior Personnel Executive" it means you are being relied upon for your scouting/input/opinion/expertise of the available player pool.  That person has major influence in regards to which players are picked.  Do you think he was just on board to collect a paycheck and provide no value?

No matter your response...bless your heart.   

The biggest reason we've gone from a bad team to a playoff contender is Kirk's development....SM has had little impact on the roster in two years.....he's done a good job with the back end of the roster, but in terms of impact.....Scherff, Norman and Crowder.....maybe Preston develops...I like Cravens, but he's a part time player at this point.

Vinny won a Superbowl with the 49ers....should we praise him too?   C'mon....There's a big difference between being a GM and all the titles you listed.....it's like going from a Coordinator to a head coach.

9 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

So as a whole, the Giants spend 200M to have a middle of the pack D.

At the same time, their once great offense, (6 in points in 2015 and 8 in yards), completly went south... to 23 and 26). So they'll have to spend 200M again next year on the offense to have it middle of the pack?

Spending spree is never, never, never, a viable long term solution. Ask Roman Abrahamovitch.

Or almost every Redskins fans that was born in the 70's or 80's, they know.

The other side to this too is you have some top heavy contracts invested in a few players with those FA singings -- that have not only short term but long term implications.  If these guys get hurt or slide its a big deal.   Haynesworth was arguably OK in his first season here but fell off a cliff in his 2nd.    If Ziggy Hood for example succeeds or fails it won't bust the cap.   If the Giants FAs fail, it has major consequences.

Anyone questioning Scotty's decision to take Scherff before Williams just needs to look at Dallas and their decision to spend top picks on OLINE and now they're the best team in football with a rookie QB and rookie RB leading the way - two positions that heavily rely on competent OLINE play. 

If he wanted to draft another Guard in the first, I wouldn't be all that mad. 

22 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

OK those guys aren't bad. But if you put into perspective stats from what they cost, they're definately not worth it.

The difference is that high priced talent that's probably their floor while with your "random" picks you're probably looking at close to ceiling. 

Archived