Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

OK. Let's dig into this...

Basically the Giants gave Von Miller monies to Ryan Kerrigan

While Scot gave Josh Norman monies to Josh Norman

SkinsInParadise has heard this several times from several different people.

But Abromavich and Chelsea can buy players to keep them away from other teams (Mohamad Salah, Pato).  Not to derail the thread.

9 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Replace Lauvao with Kevin Zeitler, hope Long progresses, and we are competing for best o-line in the league.

If we can sign a good ILB or DE in FA, I'd like to see us draft Pat Elflein in the second and slide Long back to Guard.

9 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Tell me where the impact is besides Scherff, Norman and Crowder......Depth guys are not "Impact"

It's been a year and a half man. 

Just now, DC9 said:

Basically the Giants gave Ryan Kerrigan monies for Von Miller

While Scot gave Josh Nomran monies to Josh Norman

SkinsInParadise has heard this several times from several different people.

But Abromavich and Chelsea can buy players to keep them away from other teams (Mohamad Salah, Pato).  Not to derail the thread.

Roman wins trophies!

19 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Tell me where the impact is besides Scherff, Norman and Crowder......Depth guys are not "Impact"

You're right. Scot has done nothing good here.  Your original statement was that Scot has had "little impact on the roster in 2 years."  There are about 30 players who are not on the team in 2016 that were on our roster at some point in 2015.  Do you think that just happens magically?  Or is there a lead person that makes those decisions, who might be called a General Manager?  Someone help me out if I am mistaken.

Those are the 3 impact guys Scot has brought here, yes I agree.  But I don't know what you're expecting him to do since he has been here for less than 2 years.  Why does everyone have to be an "impact" player?  Why are you discounting depth guys so much?  Those are the guys that make good teams great.  Pickups like Ty Nsekhe have proven to be invaluable when your star left tackle is out for 4 games.  Your expectations are unrealistic because it sounds like you think he should have drafted/signed 10 consensus hall of famers by year 2.  Nobody does that and it's unfair to expect.

We won 7 total games in 2013 and 2014.  We have 15 wins in the 28 games since then.  I'm sure you'd like to credit Kirk for every single one of those wins, but those wins don't happen without the work GMSM is putting in changing this roster.  The McCloughan era essentially started when RG3 was benched in favor of Kirk.  That move doesn't happen without Scot's "blessing."

Another thing you're discounting is the stability the man has brought to this organization.  We're not a laughing stock anymore and other teams worry about us when they see "REDSKINS" on their schedule.  Stop being so cynical and enjoy the spot we're in.  It's been awhile since we've had a stable, winning franchise to root for.

30 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The difference is that high priced talent that's probably their floor while with your "random" picks you're probably looking at close to ceiling. 

You should check their career stats... That's their ceiling. That's what they've been doing all their career. Harrison will be exceeding it and is probably the only exception. But the other two? They'll likely never produce more than what they've been doing so far.

Depth guys are more valuable then you may ever think... Football is a violent sport with lots of injuries, you need lots of viable back ups.

Now you could also check guys like Jarrett or Reiter, the fact both are not with us anymore is not his fault, and you can still credit him for getting them. Now you can also check on guys like Smith, Dunbar, Everett, Hopkins, Blackmon, Davis, Carrier...

Oh and he also did sign Tress Way to a 5 year contract. Which was quite a suprising move.

They might not be what you call as impact player, not sure what it really means thought, but those are valuable players in any organisation.

You don't need 53 pro bowlers to be competitive... 2/3 on each side is often more than enough. A good core of competent, skilled guys definately is.

Just now, CBass1724 said:

You're right. Scot has done nothing good here.  Your original statement was that Scot has had "little impact on the roster in 2 years."  There are about 30 players who are not on the team in 2016 that were on our roster at some point in 2015.  Do you think that just happens magically?  Or is there a lead person that makes those decisions, who might be called a General Manager?  Someone help me out if I am mistaken.

Those are the 3 impact guys Scot has brought here, yes I agree.  But I don't know what you're expecting him to do since he has been here for less than 2 years.  Why does everyone have to be an "impact" player?  Why are you discounting depth guys so much?  Those are the guys that make good teams great.  Pickups like Ty Nsekhe have proven to be invaluable when your star left tackle is out for 4 games.  Your expectations are unrealistic because it sounds like you think he should have drafted/signed 10 consensus hall of famers by year 2.  Nobody does that and it's unfair to expect.

We won 7 total games in 2013 and 2014.  We have 15 wins in the 28 games since then.  I'm sure you'd like to credit Kirk for every single one of those wins, but those wins don't happen without the work GMSM is putting in changing this roster.  The McCloughan era essentially started when RG3 was benched in favor of Kirk.  That move doesn't happen without Scot's "blessing."

Another thing you're discounting is the stability the man has brought to this organization.  We're not a laughing stock anymore and other teams worry about us when they see "REDSKINS" on their schedule.  Stop being so cynical and enjoy the spot we're in.  It's been awhile since we've had a stable, winning franchise to root for.

I expect more than 3 quality starters in 2 full off-seasons; with plenty of cap room and draft picks.

32 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:
1 minute ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I expect more than 3 quality starters in 2 full off-seasons; with plenty of cap room and draft picks.

Well, while you're waiting on that, I'm going to enjoy the fruits of GMSM's labor which has the Redskins in the playoff hunt yet again.  Sorry that is not good enough for you.

Just now, CBass1724 said:

Well, while you're waiting on that, I'm going to enjoy the fruits of GMSM's labor which has the Redskins in the playoff hunt yet again.  Sorry that is not good enough for you.

I'm glad you give him credit for inheriting.........Cousins, Trent, Moses, Long, Reed, DeSean, Garcon, Baker, Kerrigan, Breeland.

I never said SM has done nothing....But he has much to do MUCH better this off-season.

26 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I'm glad you give him credit for inheriting.........Cousins, Trent, Moses, Long, Reed, DeSean, Garcon, Baker, Kerrigan, Breeland.

Ahhh, that's right.  I forgot the other 43 players on the roster don't ever get into games.

1751fa3dfc19aa1b1cc6a952fb444f620b6fb22b

Many of them mediocre, not impactful...SM's personnel decisions and lack thereof, have contributed to an awful defense....if you can't accept that; then that's your problem.

I think your hastiness in grading draft picks from the last year is not the best way to go about judging. I think a lot of his picks from 2015 were outstanding. Jarrett was a great player but had the unfortunate injury. Reiter is gonna be a solid center and was on his way before being injured in CLE. I still think Preston Smith is going to be a great player and Arie K has played well in his limited opportunity. Spaight still has an opportunity. The only busts at this point (and it's tough to call late round picks busts) are Jones, Spencer and Mitchell. 

16 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

If he's really a BPA guy then he's probably the only GM who rated Scherff ahead of Leonard Williams.

I frankly don't understand the confidence people have in SM....And why does anyone think he will seriously address issues in free agency?     Has he he ever spent big money on more than one free agent in an off-season?

Well look at it a different way.  Having Scherff in the line-up improved the pass protection for Cousins immensely.  So having Scherff may have helped Cousins develop into the QB he is today.  Still......it would have been nice......

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

You should check their career stats... That's their ceiling. That's what they've been doing all their career. Harrison will be exceeding it and is probably the only exception. But the other two? They'll likely never produce more than what they've been doing so far.

I guess it depends on how you want to look at it. Half full or half empty. I see it as their floor as that's essentially the minimum production you're gonna get. If you had that one year that was an anomaly then you can call that a ceiling, but since everything has been on par year in year out I consider that floor as in that's the lowest you're gonna get.

Murphy, for example, he's obviously having a year far above his production the last couple seasons and is exceeding all production predictions. This isn't going to be the standard for him, I don't think. This is his ceiling. 

Short looks the standout DL option. Could see Alualu as a vet option for depth. OL, Lang from GB to switch across from RG, but age is a factor. Scot may go all in in the top WR and let our own walk. Generally poor options, a lot will depend on team cuts to bolster the market by the looks of things. 

2 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

The biggest reason we've gone from a bad team to a playoff contender is Kirk's development....SM has had little impact on the roster in two years.....he's done a good job with the back end of the roster, but in terms of impact.....Scherff, Norman and Crowder.....maybe Preston develops...I like Cravens, but he's a part time player at this point.

Vinny won a Superbowl with the 49ers....should we praise him too?   C'mon....There's a big difference between being a GM and all the titles you listed.....it's like going from a Coordinator to a head coach.

You've got to be ****ing kidding me. I'm as critical as it gets, but we turned over about 85% of our roster just 2 years ago. This was a Brown's level **** show. Now we're in the playoff hunt 2 years in a row 

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think your hastiness in grading draft picks from the last year is not the best way to go about judging. I think a lot of his picks from 2015 were outstanding. Jarrett was a great player but had the unfortunate injury. Reiter is gonna be a solid center and was on his way before being injured in CLE. I still think Preston Smith is going to be a great player and Arie K has played well in his limited opportunity. Spaight still has an opportunity. The only busts at this point (and it's tough to call late round picks busts) are Jones, Spencer and Mitchell. 

I was talking about his overall performance...draft and free agency

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

You've got to be ****ing kidding me. I'm as critical as it gets, but we turned over about 85% of our roster just 2 years ago. This was a Brown's level **** show. Now we're in the playoff hunt 2 years in a row 

Yea, SM got rid of garbage and replaced it with his own garbage....luckily for him, many of Shanny's/Bruce players started to develop after he took over.

Let's move on to another subject...

6 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I was talking about his overall performance...draft and free agency

Yea, SM got rid of garbage and replaced it with his own garbage....luckily for him, many of Shanny's/Bruce players started to develop after he took over.

Let's move on to another subject...

No, let's not.

You're constantly calling him out as incompetent, yet here we are. Back to back winning seasons for the first time in forever, AFTER taking out the bulk of shannies trash.

4/5ths of our offensive line is new and young and Kirk has **** tons of time to throw.

We have one of the best offenses, defense is ****. But it's the least funded in the league. ST is way ****ing better.

Give up your sorry ass witch hunt man. It's tired.

8 hours ago, DC9 said:

What if I told you we had them money to do both (keep 1 WR and sign a DT)?

OK, both WRs will be 31 so I don't think it makes sense to keep both.  If you look over Garcon's career he's a 70 catch 770 yard receiver - he's tough and a good blocker.  DJax doesn't block at all and his output is erratic from year-to-year.  When he's available to play though he shows big-play ability - just not in every game.  So, of the two I think DJax can go because the Skins are going to need the cap money for other positions.  It would be nice to have a reliable veteran on the roster while Doctson begins his first season.  What's the price though?  If it's his current 10M per year I think not.  Better to go with more 3 TE sets, Crowder, Doctson, and hope that Harris develops into a good #3/4 WR next year.  Grant and Ross need to show more to remain on the roster otherwise a lower round draft pick that plays ST is a good option.

49 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I guess it depends on how you want to look at it. Half full or half empty. I see it as their floor as that's essentially the minimum production you're gonna get. If you had that one year that was an anomaly then you can call that a ceiling, but since everything has been on par year in year out I consider that floor as in that's the lowest you're gonna get.

Murphy, for example, he's obviously having a year far above his production the last couple seasons and is exceeding all production predictions. This isn't going to be the standard for him, I don't think. This is his ceiling. 

Then we probably have a difference of definition here.

Vernon and Jenkins are having the same kind of production year in, year out. To me, that's basically a ceiling, because they're not getting over it, and doesn't seem to improve in any way. At least, you know what you're getting from them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Harrisson, on the other hand have a trend that keeps on going up, so he's interesting in that matter. And the most interesting fact here is that he's also the guy they spend less money on.

Thus, that's nothing new, but you clearly don't pay potential in the NFL but production instead. Which also explains all those guys that rose their expectation on contract year, only to fall off the cliff the year after that big signing bonus.

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Many of them mediocre, not impactful...SM's personnel decisions and lack thereof, have contributed to an awful defense....if you can't accept that; then that's your problem.

Come on, man... you've already received a penalty for a rule 11. You're killing me here. Not only are you generally unpleasant, agenda-driven and antagonistic in the way you debate here, but you don't seem to give a damn about the board's rules. 

It's interesting how those two things often go hand in hand. Remove the pic from your quote, please. Do it quickly because another Mod might see it and not be so lenient. I'd rather not penalize you again, myself. 

I know you hate me right now, but believe me when I say I'd rather you get on board here and become a productive contributor versus the path you're going down as it is. Help me help you. :)  

Archived