Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

9 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

I dont recall seeing so many 1 and 2 year FA signings across the league...both from players and team perspectives...I wonder why?

It is like leasing a car. You might pay a little less but will end up paying more if you like to buy the same car. Plus the cap will go up next year and you can do that if you want to keep the said car. 

1 hour ago, Stefanskins said:

I dont recall seeing so many 1 and 2 year FA signings across the league...both from players and team perspectives...I wonder why?

Teams are realizing that LTD's for free agents rarely work out. Amd most end up getting released after 1 or 2 years. Less risk basically.

Does one years deals to me are odd. For guy like Pryor I get it. But Poe? What does he have to prove? In general I feel like this years owners are pretty cheap in FA. Don't feel like we got does oldskool bidding wars where guys would get 6 years deals worth of $100m. I think GM's understand that you need to keep players hungry.  

Last year Fairley and Okung did it. 

Okung 2016 - 1 year $5m

Okung 2017 - 4 year $53m

Fairley 2015 - 1 year $5m

Fairley 2016 - 1 year $5m

Fairley 2016 - 4 year $30m

For both of them it paid off. 

Just now, wilco_holland said:

Does one years deals to me are odd. For guy like Pryor I get it. But Poe? What does he have to prove? In general I feel like this years owners are pretty cheap in FA. Don't feel like we got does oldskool bidding wars where guys would get 6 years deals worth of $100m. I think GM's understand that you need to keep players hungry.  

Last year Fairley and Okung did it. 

For both of them it paid off. 

I think one other reason for the 1 year deal is the fact that more and more NFL contracts are guaranteed or partly guaranteed. In the old days, if a player was not a fit, or got fat and happy after a big contract and started loafing it you would be off the hook. Maybe your cap would be hurt by whatever was left of the signing bonus, but you wouldn't have to pay the guy any more. These days, teams have to continue to pay players even if their play drastically declines and even if they are cut. That makes them higher risk. So, the one year prove it deal basically allows the player to up their value, but it also acts as a safety for the team to see if they guy will be a good fit for them.

For us a one year make no sense for Pryor. For him it's brilliant. 

A WR on the verge of breaking out, goes to a team with a QB who throws for almost 5,000 yards and just lost his two top targets.

Pryor will have 1,800 yards and 16 Tds and someone else will pay him $20mil next year.

I'm really surprised that Profootballfocus only has Bennie Logan rated 86th out of a possible 127 qualifying interior d-lineman. I thought he was more respected than that. Also he had just 27 tackes, 2.5 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles in 13 games last season. I am hoping he takes on A LOT of double teams and has a very good impact despite extremely pedestrian statistics.

5 hours ago, Jericho said:

I was very intrigued by Cordarrelle Patterson. It seems most think the Redskins have moved on now that they've signed Pryor. But in realty Patterson isn't much of a receiver. He's more of a return/gadget type player. So I don't really see he and Pryor doing the same things. I think he can be a useful piece and hope the team still considers him. Although WR could turn out great if Doctson is healthy and productive and Pryor keeps improving, it could also go very wrong and not have much more than Crowder (I'm not counting Ryan Grant for much). So the team could still use some depth

I agree that Patterson won't be competing to do the similar things that Pryor or Doctson are asked to do...

The competition for Patterson is would he beat out a guy like Rashad Ross?   Patterson would agree for a "look/see" contract then I think it would be a good signing.  

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

For us a one year make no sense for Pryor. For him it's brilliant. 

A WR on the verge of breaking out, goes to a team with a QB who throws for almost 5,000 yards and just lost his two top targets.

Pryor will have 1,800 yards and 16 Tds and someone else will pay him $20mil next year.

Of course the information we don't have as fans right now is... Did Pryor even want to sign a multi year contract?  If he did then what did he want?

i would think he would have asked for more money per year if it was a multi-year contract.... only driver for him is to get is value up by playing in a legit NFL offense with Cousins... why would Pryor be interested in a multi year contract when Cousins could be only be here one year then potentially he could be back in the same situation as he had in Cleveland... No QB

1 hour ago, sjinhan said:

I agree that Patterson won't be competing to do the similar things that Pryor or Doctson are asked to do...

The competition for Patterson is would he beat out a guy like Rashad Ross?   Patterson would agree for a "look/see" contract then I think it would be a good signing.  

Of course the information we don't have as fans right now is... Did Pryor even want to sign a multi year contract?  If he did then what did he want?

i would think he would have asked for more money per year if it was a multi-year contract.... only driver for him is to get is value up by playing in a legit NFL offense with Cousins... why would Pryor be interested in a multi year contract when Cousins could be only be here one year then potentially he could be back in the same situation as he had in Cleveland... No QB

This is exactly right. If we don't have our record breaking QB next year, it helps no one on the roster. No WR is signing long term for that.

He can however set himself up for life this one season by being the #1 and #2 WR for us.

One thing is for sure, the Redskins kick returners have been borderline atrocious for many years. Probably haven't had a REALLY good one since B-mitch. Cpatterson is pretty dag on good at that. The field position game can be crucial to an offense. Long, momentum shifting returns can have a massive impact on wins and losses. Of course the coverage unit has a lot to do with it too. Not just the return man. If he came with a reasonable deal, I would welcome him with open arms!

43 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is exactly right. If we don't have our record breaking QB next year, it helps no one on the roster. No WR is signing long term for that.

He can however set himself up for life this one season by being the #1 and #2 WR for us.

"If" we get Kirk locked we'll have exckusive rights to him so we could tag him or extend his contract so we are still in a good position especially if Pryor is not a good teamate and such. Which is what the rumors were before we signed him. I like a one year deal for him.

Hightower to the Titans seems to have tailed off. Would imagine that's as a result of NE swooping back in for the kill.

NE have now traded out of both the 1st and 2nd rounds. That call from Clevland must be due. They have a load of 3rds though.

Logan would be a very nice bit of icing on the DL. McClain's injury history says to me to be wary, not count on too much.. McGee helps relieve that a bit.. Logan becomes the main man with the other two to spell him and that is a nice upgrade to the middle of our line.

Signing Logan would make me very happy.

Can somebody in the know give a quick cap update? 

~Bang

1 hour ago, zskins said:

It is like leasing a car. You might pay a little less but will end up paying more if you like to buy the same car. Plus the cap will go up next year and you can do that if you want to keep the said car. 

But that's always been the case yet this hasn't always happened

We have plenty of CAP money guys, especially if DHall and a couple of other players get cut or restructure.  Also who knows a LTD with Cousins may also happen and that should give us a little more CAP space.  Lets get Logan and maybe Hightower.  Those two and KC to a LTD would make this FA A+ for me.

Archived