Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

2 hours ago, Predicto said:

That's probably because Benning has personally experienced far more racism in his life than you or I have, or ever could have.  That's why listening to him is so important.  For us white guys, racism is an academic concept, one that we can all talk about like it was the history of Sri Lanka or the invention of the printing press.  Benning actually has to live with it, every day, and his perspective is about it is something that we white guys need to listen to truly understand the issue in a real way, not an abstract way.  

And that includes his anger, and his seeing race issue impacting subjects where we white guys don't naturally see it (or and many of us don't want to see it even if it is there). 

Benning's posts are the furthest thing from trolling that there can be.  They are expressions of an uncomfortable reality where you and I are lucky enough not to have to live, but we need to stop closing our eyes to.  

I get that he experiences more racism then us white guys can understand.  And i get that he should be listened to for his experiences.  But he also needs to listen and be open minded.  If I havent experienced racism, that doesnt mean I can claim it doesnt exist at all.  Conversly, just because he does experience it doesnt mean he can claim it is the basis for everything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah...my brother a massive Trump supporter hates Affirmative Action and believes it discriminates against whites. He says he has been in multiple job interviews where the hiring manager told him he was the more qualified candidate but their hands were tied and they had to meet the affirmative action quotas. 

I imagine there a millions of white people that feel that same "discrimination" and have similar made up stories in their heads

I remember the first car I tried to buy was at a DC area Acura dealership. I was a broke college student but had a little dough from the sale of my grandmother's house after she died. I was looking for a decent used car and was approached by a late middle-aged black salesperson, Cal. So Cal and I do a few test drives and we're going through the "let me talk with my manager" phase of the program. While he's away, I overhear a convo between someone who would be a Trumpkin today and another guy. The Trumpkin is telling the other guy about how his brother lost a job to some n-word; because of affirmative action and how the n-words get all the breaks nowadays. I listened for a while and stood up and said something along the lines of "If they're giving out breaks like that, please tell me where to line up." Dude just about shat a brick. The look on his face was sooo classic. I can still see it now. :ols: What was truly sad though, was that when Cal returned, he tried to paper over it and sweep things under the rug instead of addressing it in any way so as to get the conversation back to the topic of the sale. My response was that I didn't care what the dealership did or didn't do, but I wasn't buying anything from an Uncle Tom.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, DM72 said:

One thing I'm not liking is this compromise of kneeling before the anthem is played. N.O. is the next team that's taking Dallas' lead by kneeling before the anthem. As far as I'm concerned, that defeats the purpose.

You gotta understand 

most of these NFL dudes weren't interested in racial inequality. They only cared when Trump attacked them personally.

On top of that, Jerruh and Brees only are jumping on the bandwagon, but they don't care either. Jones talked to Trump after the Monday night game.

The NFL and its players are an interesting study of when you remove people from their community.

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Conversely, just because he does experience it doesnt mean he can claim it is the basis for everything.

Can you point to when I was out of pocket on something by saying it was racist when it wasn't? 

You are attempting to paint me as something that I am not.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Predicto said:

I feel like the military angle is something that has been brought in by the Fox News folks to make sure that folks who raise issues about racial inequality are seen as anti-patriotic and anti-military when they do so.  

There's been some really good articles about the whole military and nfl marriage. It was purposefully done by both parties. Slowly introduced and grown over the years.

What outrages me is that the military often pays quite a bit of money to the teams to do the stuff. Which is the exact opposite of the way it's presented.

It's actually kind of a shame and I was always surprised it didn't produce more outrage when those articles came out

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Oh my bad, I took you serious and you decided to show you weren't. My apologies, that will not happen again.

Do you honestly believe that the majority of your posts are not calling something racist?  Or do you just mean that everything you post IS racist but it deserved to be called such?  

We have had conversations before.  Im willing to try again but from what I remember there is never any convincing you.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

It's so true tho

Nah, it's not. Many of your fellow posters in this very thread will tell you it's not true.

I heard a great analogy about racism and slavery a few days ago. If someone murdered your great-grandmother over 100 years ago, the family would still be mad about it. So why do people want us to stop discussing slavery, Jim Crow, redlining, and it's impacts on today's society.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Do you honestly believe that the majority of your posts are not calling something racist?  Or do you just mean that everything you post IS racist but it deserved to be called such?  

We have had conversations before.  Im willing to try again but from what I remember there is never any convincing you.

You are not a serious poster. In fact, your response to my challenge was @twa like.

Saw this on social media:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_State_Board_of_Education_v._Barnette           (students were forced to salute flag, 1943)

"The case is made difficult not because the principles of its decision are obscure but because the flag involved is our own. Nevertheless, we apply the limitations of the Constitution with no fear that freedom to be intellectually and spiritually diverse or even contrary will disintegrate the social organization. To believe that patriotism will not flourish if patriotic ceremonies are voluntary and spontaneous instead of a compulsory routine is to make an unflattering estimate of the appeal of our institutions to free minds. We can have intellectual individualism and the rich cultural diversities that we owe to exceptional minds only at the price of occasional eccentricity and abnormal attitudes. When they are so harmless to others or to the State as those we deal with here, the price is not too great. But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order.

If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us."

Judge Robert Jackson answered everyone's question 70 some years ago. (Nuremburg Trials guy) 

Edited by Mooka
  • Like 3

I think it's now important to actually do something about it. The spotlight on the issue from kneeling will never be brighter. That's what is sad about this whole thing, the entire point of NFL players kneeling during the anthem has been flipped around to whether it disrespects the country rather than the original point.

I also do think it's time to move on from kneeling during the anthem. This country should be about cooperation, loving one another and understanding. Kneeling obviously really upsets some people and it has hit the peak of the crescendo, I don't see there being a bigger demonstration than last weekend. There are plenty of other ways players can protest with the same results which could also could have a much bigger effect by getting more players to involve themselves. A lot of players aren't going to kneel during the anthem, but I bet an entire sideline and 11 on the field would take a knee for a minute or two right up until the opening whistle. I'm not saying the players shouldn't protest,  I just think it would go a long way for them to stop kneeling during the anthem while also finding another way to protest which could be just as effective if not moreso. Sometimes being the "bigger man" takes more courage and I really do think it would draw more people to their cause if they protested in a different way now that the spotlight is on them showing they have tolerance and acceptance of other people's opinions. Are you going to tell a Navy Seal they are wrong to be upset by players kneeling during the anthem even though disrespecting the country is not what the kneeling is about? By no means should they be forced to stop though if that's the route that is chosen. 

Either way, I hope something comes from this but I doubt it. All everyone wants to talk about is whether or not they should or shouldn't kneel rather than actually fixing the problem. I can't pretend to know the struggles of the African American community, but I can see that there is in fact a problem and there has been for quite awhile. So, I think we need to stop looking backwards because there is plenty of blame to go around that has gotten us as a country to this point in time. How can we as a country fix it going forward? Stronger African American communities makes a stronger America and isn't that what Make America Great Again is supposed to be about? African Americans are telling everyone there is a problem here, looking at cities like Chicago everyone can see that there is a problem here that goes beyond some knuckleheads gang banging.... so why does it continue to fall on deaf ears? Money and strokes of a pen isn't going to fix this problem, it's going to take people treating others equally with love and respect. It's sad the equally with love and respect thing has been struck in neutral for a long time now :(.

Edited by Zazzaro703
  • Like 2

I'm just thinking about it but if you are one of those people who het pissed off because the world wants you to be politically correct (Donald, looking at you), or knows it's your right to hate gay people or knows it's your right to share opinions with the Alt right then shut the entire **** up about kneeling. 

That's the problem. You want to exercise yuour constitutional rights however the hell you want but deny these other people because it offends YOU. Stop it. 

• Like 4

On 9/29/2017 at 7:53 PM, BenningRoadSkin said:

You gotta understand 

most of these NFL dudes weren't interested in racial inequality. They only cared when Trump attacked them personally.

On top of that, Jerruh and Brees only are jumping on the bandwagon, but they don't care either. Jones talked to Trump after the Monday night game.

The NFL and its players are an interesting study of when you remove people from their community.

Can you point to when I was out of pocket on something by saying it was racist when it wasn't? 

You are attempting to paint me as something that I am not.

Interesting points you bring up.  Makes me think about the whole Donald Sterling fiasco from a few years back. 

Dude was a known racist.  It was no secret as his racist tendencies spanned decades.  However, there were dudes who WILLINGLY chose to play and work for the Clippers despite who owned the team.  I do think that guys are willing to let things slide as long as their money isn't being messed up.  It only became a real issue due to how quickly things travel/spread due to social media and having the pressure to act. 

It's another topic for another day, but it made me think when I read what you said about dudes in the NFL only caring when Trump attacked them personally. 

@Zazzaro703

Chicago isn't a problem for a lot of people (despite it's murder rate) because it's isolated.  Let those crimes spread to Madison Ave. and affect a different demographic, then we'll have a completely different topic of discussion. 

The Chicago murder rate topic becomes a topic of conversation ONLY when people want to throw it back in the faces of those championing for what the kneeling and national anthem protesting is actually about.  If you get my drift. 

Sad to say, but if you've seen The Wire, modern-day Chicago (where the murders are happening) is nothing more than what they were trying to portray when the police on that show came up with the idea of Hamsterdam.  Anything goes as long as it doesn't spread to other parts of the city.  Same deal.  Unfortunately, it will be the same cycle of problems until lawmakers/politicians/etc. look at what the root of the problem actually is and start to care. 

But again, another topic for another day. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/20865444/inside-story-happened-players-took-control-nfl-national-anthem

This is a very long, but very interesting report on the internal machinations of the NFL as they were trying to figure out how to deal with Trump's comments while minimizing the impact to profits.  Unsurprisingly, Dan Snyder appears to be the biggest **** in the room.

Going forward, however, some owners preferred a league-wide directive. Dan Snyder, the Washington Redskins' owner and who declined to comment through a spokesman, argued that the protests needed to end because of the danger that the issue posed to the league's bottom line. A "$40 million" NFL sponsor was considering pulling out, he told his fellow owners. Snyder kept repeating "$40 million" to add emphasis, amusing a clique of owners who did the math and realized that, after the players' cut of the shared revenue, it amounted to considerably less than $1 million per club -- hardly a game-changing sum for a league that last year had an average per-team profit of $101 million.

Edited by PleaseBlitz