Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

10 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

How long? He explained why on August 28th of last year.

The people who got "confused" in what he was protested were never interested in the cause he was advocating for and still don't care. Many of those people are on this board too. I have said it several times but I am tied of people lying over this. 

I'm trying to explain to you why it was so easy for confusion to set in.  Yes, people were predisposed to reject the message, but Kaep's approach made it easier for them to do it than someone else might have.   Jim Brown or Kareem would have stayed on message better, and fought back against the twisting of the message too.

At least I think so.  I could be wrong.  

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm really starting to thing Benning and TWA are actually the same poster.  The level of troll is the same.  Just opposite sides of the argument.  

Nope.  Benning is sincere, and when he expresses his anger, there is a basis for it.  Don't mistake disagreement for trolling.  He is giving you a valuable perspective, one that should be heard and respected even if you think it is overstated or doesn't apply to you personally.  

now twa...  well he's twa

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Predicto said:

Nope.  Benning is sincere, and when he expresses his anger, there is a basis for it.  Don't mistake disagreement for trolling.  He is giving you a valuable perspective, one that should be heard and respected even if you think it is overstated or doesn't apply to you personally.  

Gotcha.  I apologize then (to Benning, not TWA).  Sometimes his posts though just seem so much to make everything out as racist, I began to wonder.  

I still listen to both of them though.  Sometimes TWA actually makes a valid point.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.  

13 minutes ago, Predicto said:

I'm trying to explain to you why it was so easy for confusion to set in.  Yes, people were predisposed to reject the message, but Kaep's approach made it easier for them to do it than someone else might have.   Jim Brown or Kareem would have stayed on message better, and fought back against the twisting of the message too.

At least I think so.  I could be wrong.  

The moment people started to open their mouths up and say "this isn't the right way to protest," was the moment that it got muddled. It got muddled because people didn't want to have a discussion about injustice and unequal treatment of marginalized persons, especially black people. It was clear to many people, even those who were "confused." I am not sure how else this can be explained but a lot of people were not confused.

17 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm really starting to thing Benning and TWA are actually the same poster.  The level of troll is the same.  Just opposite sides of the argument.  

Your issues sound like they are your own. If you have an issue with my posts on this topic, please put me on ignore. 

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

7 hours ago, visionary said:

I'd be curious if that applies to team members in extracurricular activities, since they must abide by different rules?

I know my baseball teams would be respectful or there was hell to pay....of course there was hell to pay anyway, just different levels.:ols:

Just now, Predicto said:

And that is a good thing lawdog. :headbang:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Copies of the same bot

Knobs turned in different directions 

49 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The moment people started to open their mouths up and say "this isn't the right way to protest," was the moment that it got muddled. It got muddled because people didn't want to have a discussion about injustice and unequal treatment of marginalized persons, especially black people.

There are and still are people who think that's not the right way to do it, but are still having the conversation.

Just like there are people who think the protesters have a point, but the rioting is bull****.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Predicto said:

Let's face it.  Colin Kaepernick is not the brightest light bulb out there.  I believe he is a good guy, I believe he is trying to make a statement about something he genuinely cares deeply about, I believe he does not hate America or the military or apple pie, and I believe that he tried to make his protest low-key and respectful by kneeling rather than turning his back or making rude gestures.

But the fact remains that Kaep has never been the smartest, most polished, most media-savvy guy out there, and the fact that his message got muddled should surprise absolutely no one.  

What is really amazing is how, right now, among a large part of the country, Kaerpernick is probably  the single most hated human being on the planet.  More hated than Kim Jong Un, more than Martin Skhreli, more even than Bob Seger.   It's unfathomable how much pure hatred he engenders among white middle and working class men. 

How do you reconcile your sainted view of Kaepernick with his Cop Piggy socks?  Respectful.  Thats just goddamn outstanding stuff.

As for your last paragraph, Ibecause you and others want to keep talking about something doesnt make it so.  Look at this thread, its basically 15 Chatty Kathy dolls pulling their own strings, repeatedly, with the occasional drive by post by some idiot that gets all you pansies back in a complete twist.  

My take is that the average "white middle and working class sports fan" doesnt give two ****s about Kaepernick because theyre too busy putting in 10 hour workdays and trying to raise a family 6 days a week.  The one escape they do get, watching football on Sundays, now involves lectures from Bob Costas and Jason LaCanfora rather than anlysis from Jaws.  (Two people that I can tell you frome personal interraction are flaming assholes of the highest order..JLC is the most crass, rude, obnoxious ass I have ever shared oxygen withbut I digress).  At which point, yah, they probably say "man **** that Kaepernick guy".  Then its back to work Monday.

So thats my take, just as factually based and sited as yours is, therefore equal. :)

• Like 1

Just now, zoony said:

Look at this thread, its basically 15 Chatty Kathy dolls pulling their own strings, repeatedly, with the occasional drive by post by some idiot that gets all you pansies back in a complete twist.  

Pure Gold. :rofl89:

1 hour ago, zoony said:

My take is that the average "white middle and working class sports fan" doesnt give two ****s about Kaepernick because theyre too busy putting in 10 hour workdays and trying to raise a family 6 days a week.  The one escape they do get, watching football on Sundays, now involves lectures from Bob Costas and Jason LaCanfora rather than anlysis from Jaws.  (Two people that I can tell you frome personal interraction are flaming assholes of the highest order..JLC is the most crass, rude, obnoxious ass I have ever shared oxygen withbut I digress).  At which point, yah, they probably say "man **** that Kaepernick guy".  Then its back to work Monday.

what world is this? If football is their "one escape", they are living life all the way wrong.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Its okay. We probably shouldn't expect white middle and working class people to give a damn anyway

if they did, none of this would be happening 

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zoony said:

Look at this thread, its basically 15 Chatty Kathy dolls pulling their own strings, repeatedly, with the occasional drive by post by some idiot that gets all you pansies back in a complete twist.  

I know which one I am

Which one are you

;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zoony said:

How do you reconcile your sainted view of Kaepernick with his Cop Piggy socks?  Respectful.  Thats just goddamn outstanding stuff.

As for your last paragraph, Ibecause you and others want to keep talking about something doesnt make it so.  Look at this thread, its basically 15 Chatty Kathy dolls pulling their own strings, repeatedly, with the occasional drive by post by some idiot that gets all you pansies back in a complete twist.  

So thats my take, just as factually based and sited as yours is, therefore equal. :)

Geez Zoony,  when did you get to be so ****ing cynical? You used to be a fun guy.

Also, "sainted view" of Kaepernick??!?  Did you even read what he wrote about him?  Dim-bulb, unpolished, not media savvy... 

Edited by Dan T.

4 hours ago, Predicto said:

Not a commentary on Benning but on the subject, just because someone is sincere doesn't mean their perspective is valuable. Case in point, there's another poster on this forum whose arguments are every bit as ridiculous and cartoonish as twa's but exacerbated by the fact that for some reason, he expects to be taken seriously. I'll take twa over this other guy any day of the week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Saw this, felt it belonged here............

This is the kind of clear unequivocal statement I want to hear from those in positions of authority. Enough with the diversions and enough with the strawmen and way too ****ing enough with twisting the narrative to fit whatever bias you cling to, this guy gets it IMO and I was genuinely thankful to see this general in the branch I served in standing up and expressing a forceful opinion.

It's just too damned bad if someone's Sunday afternoon beer swilling rites are disrupted by the thought of young men dying and their families crying out in pain, tough ****.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

what world is this? If football is their "one escape", they are living life all the way wrong.

It would be one thing if these people genuinely wanted to be left alone. 

But this is the same group of people who get their panties in a bunch over "Happy Holidays".

History will probably look at Kaepernick in a positive light, just as it usually does with "controversial" black athletes who take up social justice platforms. No one will give a **** about what some racist redneck living in a bum**** town in the South thought about kneeling. 

Just now, Llevron said:

That's an interesting approach 

Do you agree? IMO, it does nothing but make an ass out of the individual if they don't get the job and on the other hand it's probably held over their heads if they do get the job.

Ending these labels in all industries would do wonders, IMO.... I forgot who said it at an awards show last week but it was a female African-American Director who said she doesn't want to be known as the "First Black Woman to Win such and such Award"..... She said that just added to the fire.... we should be past that. How do we get past that? Labels create separation.

5 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

End the Rooney Rule, that's a start for the NFL. It's a huge slap in the face to talented black coaches.

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

That's an interesting approach 

Understanding that the Rooney Rule is not perfect...because nothing is perfect.  How, pray tell, is it a "huge slap in the face" to anybody, much less black coaches?

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Do you agree? IMO, it does nothing but make an ass out of the individual if they don't get the job and on the other hand it's probably held over their heads if they do get the job.

Ending these labels in all industries would do wonders, IMO.... I forgot who said it at an awards show last week but it was a female African-American Director who said she doesn't want to be known as the "First Black Woman to Win such and such Award"..... She said that just added to the fire.... we should be past that. How do we get past that? Labels create separation.

It gets the individual in the interview process, and that's half the battle.  Nothing is held over anybody's head.  NFL coaching is a meritocracy.  You can either do the job or you can't.  

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

It's labeling... and IMO, a set-back.

getting a foot in the door is a set back?

once again, if people in positions of power were doing the right thing and giving everybody an equal shot, there would be no need for the rule

but yes, its the rule itself that is a slap in the face