Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

1 hour ago, Bang said:

I think the only victory for trump is he got people to ignore his latest failure in actual governance, and his ham handed approach to Puerto Rico.

Other than that, i think his actions actually made the league stronger. Ownership and Players are certainly looking to be more together, and even roger goodell has built some bridges back to the players.

I think the league strengthened, and i think the people who will actually quit is a much smaller number than those who bluster about boycotting..  but will watch anyway. I think trump only gained anything with the crew that already thinks everything he does is amazing... which is to say,, not much.

~Bang

You know what is going to be a major test?  The next time an owner wants the community to fund his stadium.  I think we've seen the last of that (which may be a good thing).

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

I agree with you

I will just say that I have some family members that will rip you to shreds on the spot if you don't stop what you're doing when the when anthem comes on TV prior to the game. I'm not kidding, they will dress you down in front of everyone on the spot.

There are some people that actually do care.  They do exist. 

Unfortunately we've entered a point where a person's intent/motives don't matter. The audience of the action/opinion/whatever gets to decide it for you, then ridicule you for them.

I've had the discussion a lot with different people recently. Many people think that way. It's a shame, and scary.

So just to be clear, the audience of my objection can decide what I mean but the audience of the protest cannot?

Makes sense.  

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I guess the next question to be asked is that if a person kneels in prayer... are they disrespecting God?

I think you're being a smart ass at this point.

Standing for the anthem has always been the respectful thing to do. Not kneeling. Kneeling in church or for prayer, on the other hand, has always been a thing.

I'm not saying it makes sense or that's the way it should be, but given the context of everything this 'they're kneeling out of respects' stuff is silly.

They're doing it in protest and everyone knows that. Let's not add to the bull****, we have enough to wade through as is ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

I will just say that I have some family members that will rip you to shreds on the spot if you don't stop what you're doing when the when anthem comes on TV prior to the game. I'm not kidding, they will dress you down in front of everyone on the spot.

If someone did that to me, I'd just take a knee.

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So just to be clear, the audience of my objection can decide what I mean but the audience of the protest cannot?

Makes sense.  

Absolutely.

They don't care about making sense or what's right they only care about pushing their agenda.

They're doing a reasonably good job of it all things considered.

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Do you know who they voted for?

Yeah, mostly. Not all GOP, since that's clearly what you're going for.

Some voted for Obama. Some trump. Some hate politics.

All of them served in the military or had a spouse/dad who did and knew what it was like to have him gone for long stretches at a time fighting over seas - in some cases for a war they thought was stupid.

You don't have to like it or think it's smart. But the flag and anthem means something to them that seems to be different than to others. I think they find comfort in that meaning. And when they see someone ****ting all over it they become irate, and I don't blame them. 

Which is why I think protesting anything during the anthem or involving the flag is ****ing stupid. You instantly lose a lot of people and make the conversation about something you didn't want and are put on the defensive.

I don't care that they do it, but I'm not ignorant of the fact that there are plenty that do. And no, they're not all racist trump supporters who just don't care about black people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Which is why I think protesting anything during the anthem or involving the flag is ****ing stupid. You instantly lose a lot of people and make the conversation about something you didn't want and are put on the defensive.

Other side of this coin is that there are other protest-y things that you can do, and many NFL players have done, that get ignored.  The point of a protest is to get attention.  Sometimes pissing people off is a valid way of achieving that goal.

Or to put it in Trumpist terms:  All attention is good attention.  

• Like 1

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Other side of this coin is that there are other protest-y things that you can do, and many NFL players have done, that get ignored.  The point of a protest is to get attention.  Sometimes pissing people off is a valid way of achieving that goal.

Or to put it in Trumpist terms:  All attention is good attention.  

Sure, but then accept the criticism you knowingly and foolishly brought on yourself.

Don't turn around and start telling people they're racist for being mad about the thing you did just to make them mad, knowing it would make them mad for reasons other than race.

Just to be clear - I'm aware people are feigning patriotic outrage because they're actually just racists.

I'm talking about the people that are outraged for non-racist, well-intending reasons. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Sure, but then accept the criticism you knowingly and foolishly brought on yourself.

Don't turn around and start telling people they're racist for being mad about the thing you did just to make them mad, knowing it would make them mad for reasons other than race.

Just to be clear - I'm aware people are feigning patriotic outrage because they're actually just racists.

I'm talking about the people that are outraged for non-racist, well-intending reasons. 

I guess #1, nobody that has knelt during the anthem (that I am aware of) has said one negative thing about the military; rather, they have been pretty specific with what they are protesting (violence against black people by the police).  #2, has anyone not accepted the criticism that comes with this act of protest?  Just to be clear, I mean the NFL players doing the actual protesting, not any one else trying to speak on their behalf (or knuckleheads on an internet message board).   

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, nonniey said:

You what is going to be a major test?  The next time an owner wants the community to fund his stadium.  I think we've seen the last of that (which may be a good thing).

that WOULD be a victory. I hate when these billionaires hold up communities for their stadiums.

~Bang

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Boy I sure am lucky yiu are here ti tell me why I disagree with what he did.  Without you I wouldnt know what to do with myself.  I have some math homework also if you want to do some more thinking for me.

Deeper motives are revealed when the arguments are stripped away. Like when Cowboys fans boo’d the team for kneeling BEFORE the anthem. It also is stripped away when a white guy kneels and when a black guy kneels.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

4 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Edited for clarity.

That said, if you DON’T think that a lot of the objection is based on race then you’re naive.

Hi ASF, Im Naive.

I think some are based on race.  I think a majority just dont want a bunch of crap brought into one of the places they go to get away from crap.  The same reason you dont talk Politics or Religion in a bar.  I remember Tebow getting a bunch of crap for praying at random times (i was one of those people giving him crap).  We want to see a football game.  No more, no less.

• Like 1