Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

Just now, Bang said:

Well, nobody comes to see sanitation workers do their job, but they most definitely did protest for civil rights by not picking up garbage.

http://kingencyclopedia.stanford.edu/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/enc_memphis_sanitation_workers_strike_1968/

Throughout history there have been plenty of work related protests. You'd be surprised how many of them ended with American soldiers firing at American citizens who were trying to be treated decently. Coal strikes, Railroad strikes, labor strikes.. lots of them. @thebluefood probably can rattle off a bunch of them.

~Bang

Oh yeah. Hell, some of those strikes were armed conflicts between workers and the National Guard and the local cops (Blair Mountain stands out most). Unarmed textile workers died at the famous "Bread and Roses" strike in 1912 at the hands of the Massachusetts Militia. One of my union's most notable figures, Frank Little, was brutally lynched for supporting copper workers and opposing the U.S.' participation in World War I - which resulted in no arrests or convictions (there's a reason why the IWW doesn't work with cops). 

Working folks, especially people of color and their comrades, have a long history of being treated poorly by the powers that be. If you've got money and influence, you can get away with treason. If you speak out for you rights and rock the boat a little bit as a working person, especially if you do it without the blessings of a rich, sympathetic party, you're finished. After all, John Brown led a slave rebellion and was hung by the state. Alexander Stephens is Vice President of the CSA and gets to become Governor of Georgia at the end of his life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

I dont know if this has been mentiined but I jist heard DirectTV is giving refunds for Sunday Ticket if yoi call and say you are protesting the protest.  Interesting.

They should. If people dont want the package because of something out of their control they should be allowed to get their money back. Thats good business on their part. 

Im curious to see how long it takes for some of these owners to crack the whip on their boys' backs and end this. Once the almighty (dollar) gets involved I guarantee they will not care about **** else. Honestly standing for the players was a business decision more than anything else and you would be a fool to believe otherwise. These rich ass men are not in it to be social justice warriors. They would NEVER put money on the line like Kap did. 

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

RG3 is better from the pocket and has a quicker release.  I could actually see him making the transition to effective pocket QB...maybe. Kap has one of the slowest releases I've ever seen and throws fastballs only...no touch.  He's a read-option QB, exclusively.  Closest comparison would probably be Tebow.

I already addressed his play from the pocket with actual data.

On 9/25/2017 at 1:09 PM, Cooked Crack said:

People mad that those kneeling are disrespecting our troops. Yet they voted for a guy who literally disrespected POWs. Instead of firing that SOB, we elected him. He's never apologized for it and his supporters don't care. Since a bunch of new names are popping up here can one of y'all explain it to me?

It's not about the troops and never was - They see them as disrespecting the country. Trump is not the country.  There has been only one winner in this and that is that Jack Ass in the White House the rest of us lose.

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I dont know if this has been mentiined but I jist heard DirectTV is giving refunds for Sunday Ticket if yoi call and say you are protesting the protest.  Interesting.

For them it's win win. (with the possibility they may "lose" a little cash... they'll make it up in the end.)

For one, i think they're banking that either the cancellations will be relatively light compared to the noise. and two that those who do will be back next year.

And if they're not, they gain a lot of good brand loyalty PR with those who cancel.

~Bang

25 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

So all the executives that SI interviewed were lying? Kaep has to be in a read option offense to be effective.  He can't read a defense consistently (see Dolphins game last year where he got blowed up on the goal line with 2 open receivers waving their arms). He cannot operate effectively in a 5 or 7 step drop consistently enough to be on a roster - exceptions being Seattle, Carolina, and Tennessee.  If the Redskins, or Jets, Or Giants were to sign him as the backup, the entire offense changes.  You can't construct a roster to be effective with a drop back starter and read option backup.

I'll make this argument again, most of the backups in the league cant operate effectively in any system, 5 to 7 step drop or otherwise.  That's why they're backups. Not to pick on Geno Smith, but what system has he proven to be effective in?  How about EJ Manuel?  Kellen Clemens perhaps? These dudes cant play in a dropback system, a read option system, or any other system you can name.

Lacking one skill set doesnt automatically make you proficient in another one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

It's not about the troops and never was - They see them as disrespecting the country. Trump is not the country.  There has been only one winner in this and that is that Jack Ass in the White House the rest of us lose.

I think the point is the biggest disrespect to the country in recent history was electing the jack ass. So why focus on people kneeling when you have Agent Orange and they are all cheering for all the treason he has been involved in? 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Just to be fair, you arent giving the whole Kap quote. The very next sentence he references police brutality. He may have similar beliefs to that of Raufs, but he very clearly was protesting police brutality. Saying otherwise is disingenuous and akin to what Trump pulled in Alabama. 

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Totally agree that's its a part of it. What I'm saying is that it's linked to a bigger political viewpoint. It's not 'just' police brutality which is why I brought up Abdul Rauf. It's the same neo Marxist philosophy that blm embraces. Castro good, America bad, Castro t shirts, tyranny, oppression. 

My point is that there is a clear connection between the flag/Anthem and the refusal to stand. (not that the police issue isn't part of it) 

Edited by grego

So I just saw a thing on Facebook (which means its probably fake but lets treat it as a hypothetical situation) of what appers to be a black teenager on his knee at the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown.

Aside from him having the right to do it, do you all agree with doing it there?

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So I just saw a thing on Facebook (which means its probably fake but lets treat it as a hypothetical situation) of what appers to be a black teenager on his knee at the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown.

Now replace that kid with Tim Tebow.

If you feel different then you’re part of the problem.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Just now, grego said:

Totally agree that's its a part of it. What I'm saying is that it's linked to a bigger political viewpoint. It's not 'just' police brutality which is why I brought up Abdul Rauf. It's the same neo Marxist philosophy that blm embraces. Castro good, America bad, Castro t shirts, tyranny, oppression. 

My point is that there is a clear connection between the fag/Anthem and the refusal to stand. (not that the police issue isn't part of it) 

Yea I cant really argue that, then. Though I think its honestly just the biggest medium they have to gain attention more than anything. Its hard to argue that the Anthem has nothing to do with it. I mean like you quoted he said it himself. 

2 minutes ago, grego said:

My point is that there is a clear connection between the fag/Anthem and the refusal to stand. (not that the police issue isn't part of it) 

Surely a typo but you may want to fix that.

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Now replace that kid with Tim Tebow.

If you feel different then you’re part of the problem.

Well I cant stand Tebow so.  

But I would imagine he would be praying.  It did not appear as this is what was happening.

Do you support taking a knee there as a protest, not a prayer.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well I cant stand Tebow so.  

But I would imagine he would be praying.  It did not appear as this is what was happening.

Do you support taking a knee there as a protest, not a prayer.

Screen capture the facebook post. I’m not going to speculate on a pic that you have access to and I do not.

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

With the assumption that he understands fully what his actions represent, where he is, and why his protest matters and not just doing it because the NFL players are or because it will piss of Trump and white people across the land - No I have no problem with it. I would even endorse it. 

But thats assuming alot. Which would mean someone would have to talk to the teen and ask him/her these questions and get the answers. Not just assume its another black kid being disrespectful because they hate america. Which is half of the problem. Everyone thinks that the protests are intended to disrespect, when in reality its the exact opposite. That fact is being lost or clouded intentionally. 

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea I cant really argue that, then. Though I think its honestly just the biggest medium they have to gain attention more than anything. Its hard to argue that the Anthem has nothing to do with it. I mean like you quoted he said it himself. 

I'll say this, (this is guaranteed to go off topic) I can draw a straighter line from the flag to the troops than I can from the flag to police brutality. 

But, I understand they mean no disrespect to the troops. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Screen capture the facebook post. I’m not going to speculate on a pic that you have access to and I do not.

Im on my phone and not sure how.  Ill give it a shot.  But that is why i said hypothetical kid taking knee in protest at tomb of unknown.

Edit:  so i took a picture of the post on my phone but cant figure out how to post it here from the gallery.  I have an S7 edge if that helps.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

Just now, grego said:

I'll say this, (this is guaranteed to go off topic) I can draw a straighter line from the flag to the troops than I can from the flag to police brutality. 

But, I understand they mean no disrespect to the troops. 

For sure you can. And thats kinda the point. They mean to respect what this country is built on - freedom. Period. This information is readily available for people that want to listen. Where this gets ****ed up is that people emote - not listen. 

If Kap really sat down with someone and explained to them that in his mind, America stands for freedom of all kinds. Including the right to protest when you see something is wrong and needs to be fixed. And that he means to respect the people who died for his freedom to do so by taking a knee (instead of sitting because a past military member told him that shows MORE RESPECT) how could someone possibly still think he means to disrespect them? They couldnt. The problem is they arnt listening. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Im on my phone and not sure how.  Ill give it a shot.  But that is why i said hypothetical kid taking knee in protest at tomb of unknown.

Screen shot. The attach the file in the browser by clicking the choose files link. It should let you pick your gallery or "documents" if you are on an android. Documents has all your pictures in it. 

Took me like a month to figure that out lol

• Thanks 1

Screenshot_20170927-100438.png

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

For sure you can. And thats kinda the point. They mean to respect what this country is built on - freedom. Period. This information is readily available for people that want to listen. Where this gets ****ed up is that people emote - not listen. 

If Kap really sat down with someone and explained to them that in his mind, America stands for freedom of all kinds. Including the right to protest when you see something is wrong and needs to be fixed. And that he means to respect the people who died for his freedom to do so by taking a knee (instead of sitting because a past military member told him that shows MORE RESPECT) how could someone possibly still think he means to disrespect them? They couldnt. The problem is they arnt listening. 

Screen shot. The attach the file in the browser by clicking the choose files link. It should let you pick your gallery or "documents" if you are on an android. Documents has all your pictures in it. 

Took me like a month to figure that out lol

Thanks.  Pic above.

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

thats a great post. 100% agree.

Something about that Tomb of the Unknown original photo/post feels like it was manipulated somehow, but if not I don't think I have a problem someone doing it like that.

If it's a bunch of people doing it...maybe.

If people are shouting, carrying signs, or interrupting it, I think it would bother me.

I definitely didn't like the Wesboro stuff around funerals.  

• Like 2