Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

6 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

yessum

i watch wizards games from home with the stadium feed. every time they start the game with the anthem and starting lineups I stand for the anthem everytime even when I'm at home

Why would I not

it is disrespectful to my COUNTRY and FLAG to sit down in my chair during the anthem when it is played in the stadium and I'm watching on TV

nobody cares

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

They tried to take the anthem out of the NBA games and failed

You know they won't stop playing it before MLB games

NCAA and NHL pretty much have the anthem too. It's unavoidable at this point going to a game. Just stand and don't draw attention to yourself

Just now, Warhead36 said:

nobody cares

Why would you sit or demand the anthem be removed from the sports games? It makes no sense. This is how we've done it.

If you want to talk about protests fine, but that's the athletes. You are probably not on the field. So why would you sit down?

You're at the Nats game, beer in hand. Just stand. Or at least stop when you're at the concourse. Why wouldn't you? "It's just a song bro" People died for that song

I’m a patriotic American every minute of every day of my life.  I give no special allowance to any song or tradition.

That said, it’s a cool tune and when it’s performed well in a live setting I can get a little “goosebumpy”.  It’s a musician thing, I think.

• Like 3

I don’t stand because I don’t want to. 

And no one dies for the song. Not one person goes to war thinking “And this if for the National Anthem!!!” For you to try to use that in your argument is frankly Un-American. The entire point is that I have the freedom to worship the song and the flag, or not. As long as I follow the law. 

For color, my job is to protect this country and it’s secrets from hostile threats. Not once in my background check did they ask me about the anthem. Because it’s not ****ing important. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

On 3/13/2021 at 1:25 PM, Llevron said:

I don’t stand because I don’t want to. 

And no one dies for the song. Not one person goes to war thinking “And this if for the National Anthem!!!” For you to try to use that in your argument is frankly Un-American. The entire point is that I have the freedom to worship the song and the flag, or not. As long as I follow the law. 

For color, my job is to protect this country and it’s secrets from hostile threats. Not once in my background check did they ask me about the anthem. Because it’s not ****ing important. 

I see a lot of dislike towards the anthem, saying Key was racist, or stuff like that. I don't see a problem with standing for tne anthem.

13 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I see a lot of dislike towards the anthem, saying Key was racist, or stuff like that. I don't see a problem with standing for tne anthem.

Caught me. I don’t stand cause Key was a racist. 

Just now, Llevron said:

Caught me. I don’t stand cause Key was a racist. 

I nevah said you didn't stand because of that. Don't put words in my mouth. I read somewhere else that they were taking Key's statue down in SF and I was alarmed by that.

There is nothing really wrong with the song. I have seen so much hate and outrage over our anthem and I just don't understand it. Instead of trying to help me understand the issue you have resorted to name calling, anger and outrageous claims. Calm down and try to explain your position why you think the anthem is bad. I am open minded and I will understand.

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

I nevah said you didn't stand because of that. Don't put words in my mouth. I read somewhere else that they were taking Key's statue down in SF and I was alarmed by that.

There is nothing really wrong with the song. I have seen so much hate and outrage over our anthem and I just don't understand it. Instead of trying to help me understand the issue you have resorted to name calling, anger and outrageous claims. Calm down and try to explain your position why you think the anthem is bad. I am open minded and I will understand.

Fair enough. I’ll explain why I think the Anthem is bad but you have to do something for me first. 

1) show me where I said the anthem was bad. 
2) show me where I called you a name

Help me with that and I will explain my position. This is just to make sure we are both being intellectually honest here. I would happily explain it to you if I thought this conversation was going some place. 

I think the anthem is a tradition that has gone back as far as and before WW2 (it goes back to WW1 if I recall correctly for baseball games)

Lately the anthem has received criticism at sports games for supporting a military-industrial complex (what the hell does that mean? Is Lockheed forcing you to stand or listen to the anthem?) and I am concerned that it is denaturing the respect and tradition we have for the country we hold so dear.

People are trying to remove the anthem from NBA games as said before. One person told me today "We should play the anthem before every congressional session to waste time, like it does for sporting events" It's not the same as a sports game, silly goose. "The anthem is a waste of time." It is not.

I will stand every time for it, like I repeatedly do when the Wizards or Capitals play at home. The Wizards played at home against Sacramento yesterday. I stood up as that woman sang the anthem and I was proud.

The anthem has a long tradition in US Sports and removing it because of perceived ties to MIC or it "being a waste of time" is just ridiculous. Let me ask you, is this a waste of time?

Edited by ixcuincle

On 3/14/2021 at 2:53 PM, Llevron said:

Fair enough. I’ll explain why I think the Anthem is bad but you have to do something for me first. 

1) show me where I said the anthem was bad. 
2) show me where I called you a name

Help me with that and I will explain my position. This is just to make sure we are both being intellectually honest here. I would happily explain it to you if I thought this conversation was going some place. 

* Clears thoat  * 

@ixcuincle

Starting to feel like you are not being totally honest in your arguments for some reason 😒

22 minutes ago, Llevron said:

* Clears thoat  * 

@ixcuincle

Starting to feel like you are not being totally honest in your arguments for some reason 😒

I am highly concerned about Americans wariness of the MIC or Lockheed or "forced patriotism"

Again if you want to kneel for the flag on the field fine

but as a bystander? Do you know how much flak you would get?

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

I will stand every time for it, like I repeatedly do when the Wizards or Capitals play at home. The Wizards played at home against Sacramento yesterday. I stood up as that woman sang the anthem and I was proud.

Am I reading this right?  You stand up, in your house, when a game is on TV and the anthem is played?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I am highly concerned about Americans wariness of the MIC or Lockheed or "forced patriotism"

Again if you want to kneel for the flag on the field fine

but as a bystander? Do you know how much flak you would get?

So are you not planning to address at all the post where I identified what could be mistaken as a lack of good faith? I'm not planning to address your opinion at all unless you we are going to start this conversation from some level of accepted truth. The simple truth in this case being that, I never said I didn't like the anthem and I never called you any names. Once we get past that, im positive we can start to figure out where we stand on the issues. 

• Like 1

Yea, none of the "kneeling for the national anthem" protests had anything to do with the military.  Bad faith opponents just said that because the available good faith arguments are terrible.  The protests are, and always were, about the police killing black people regularly and with impunity.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I have been to probably over a 100 pro sports games live spanning most major sports.  I have seen people stand, sit, buy food, stand in merch lines, use the rest room, play on their phones etc etc etc during the national anthem.  You know how many times they were confronted about it?  ZERO.   So this idea that people were actually ever outraged about the kneeling is ridiculous.  They weren't outraged about it until they were instructed to be outraged about it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1