Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

1 minute ago, grego said:

heres why- 

-hes in miami

-its hours after castros death

-keap is synonymous with BLM who is unapologetic in their support and praise of castro

-there are about a million t shirts featuring malcolm x that he could have worn. google 'malcolm x t shirt'. 

-when pushed, he offers praise of cubas literacy rate (which is information reported by....cuba)

these are coincidences?

No. Probably not. Two things though. Why are we choosing to focus on one guy in the shirt versus the other - who arguably has way more in common with the subject in question? And what does it have to do with police brutality? 

11 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I think it's fine to claim hypocrisy and present the challenge in any case and argue if it exists. But when you extend that tangent, you're doing the discourse a disservice imo unless hypocrisy is the main topic. And every now and then note the comfy home it has in your own head as you castigate others for it. When we talk about liars and hypocrites, we aren't just tlaking about those "others" who are saying/doing things we really don't like, we are also talking about ourselves (ooooo so jack handy).

But we do get to genuinely compete and argue over who does it the most/least and that matters! :P:D

This is basically my point, though I am not eloquent enough to present it the way Jumbo does here. 

Its a valid argument @grego @TheGreatBuzz and @SemperFi Skins but its really useless when discussing the topic. Him being a hypocrite would do nothing to change the validity of his protest. Its just makes him look like a tool which I argue he is anyway. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

No. Probably not. Two things though. Why are we choosing to focus on one guy in the shirt versus the other - who arguably has way more in common with the subject in question? And what does it have to do with police brutality? 

This is basically my point, though I am not eloquent enough to present it the way Jumbo does here

Its a valid argument @grego @TheGreatBuzz and @SemperFi Skins but its really useless when discussing the topic. Him being a hypocrite would do nothing to change the validity of his protest. Its just makes him look like a tool which I argue he is anyway. 

i gotcha. ;)

i must be getting smarter. i didnt even have to break out a dictionary this time. :)

Edited by grego
  • Haha 1

Just saw the post about moving castro stuff elsewhere @Jumbo

Done and done. Sorry for the most recent post before this I had not seen the one telling us to quit it yet.  

2 minutes ago, grego said:

i gotcha. ;)

i must be getting smarter. i didnt even have to break out a dictionary this time. :)

*Takes full credit* lol

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, grego said:

i would agree if i granted that kaeps kneeling was 'just' about the issue of police brutality rather than a more grand political statement. as it relates to keaps protest, i think its important to try to understand why people have a problem with it as well as why people dont have a problem with it. 

but i get that we've just about exhausted the castro bashing. its all out there, and we can move along. 

and move along, i will.. 

to me, this says you still seem to miss some of the point (and i'd hardly expected you to be alone) of the point,  but i do get what you're saying and know it  represents one angle in reaction that many people have, and did before i first posted what i did.

your reply is not any kind of issue to me but that's all the time i have for this now (not being rude) and won't be replying again

it's not relevant, just fyi from reading your posts i could understand why the castro angle might play larger with you than many others here, too, if it is.

i used to bat some of my buddies around in the late 60's early 70's for their usually ignorant che and fidel support. those buddies were  generally fighting worthy battles but the misinformed or uninformed or just low-effort "thinking" shown in selecting those guys as role models lacked integrity by my take

now back to topic

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

thanks for posting that @Dan T.  [Deshaun Watson donating his game check to cafeteria workers] saw that this a.m. and it was awesome.

There was a purpose in posting that. There seems to be a lot of good dudes in the NFL.  And yeah, there are some knuckleheads in the league as well.  It's pretty much a microcosm of the U.S., really.  Good and bad everywhere.   Yet how many times in the last couple days have we heard or read about those "overpaid," "ignorant," "ungrateful," "selfish" players?

clskinsfan wrote, on its face, a pretty even keeled rationale for why he's decided to say "**** you" to the NFL.  He was apparently fine with players facing almost certain future brain damage for his entertainment.  He was okay with owners holding cities hostage until they fork over billions of dollars to build them new playgrounds and screw over loyal fans by moving teams when the locales don't pony up.  He apparently gives a pass for players beating wives and girlfriends, abusing animals, cheating with PEDs, etc.  But players silently taking a knee was a bridge too far?  Okey doke.  Buh bye clskinsfan.

BTW, the vast majority of the demonstrations this weekend were mainly to show support for colleagues whom the President called "sons of ****es."  I say kudos for standing up to the Bully-in-Chief.

But go ahead and boycott the NFL.  Personally, I'm boycotting the Presidency, at least for another 3 years or, with God's grace, sooner.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Let's face it.  Colin Kaepernick is not the brightest light bulb out there.  I believe he is a good guy, I believe he is trying to make a statement about something he genuinely cares deeply about, I believe he does not hate America or the military or apple pie, and I believe that he tried to make his protest low-key and respectful by kneeling rather than turning his back or making rude gestures.

But the fact remains that Kaep has never been the smartest, most polished, most media-savvy guy out there, and the fact that his message got muddled should surprise absolutely no one.  

What is really amazing is how, right now, among a large part of the country, Kaerpernick is probably  the single most hated human being on the planet.  More hated than Kim Jong Un, more than Martin Skhreli, more even than Bob Seger.   It's unfathomable how much pure hatred he engenders among white middle and working class men. 

Sociologists are going to have a field day in future decades analyzing how this relatively insignificant guy was turned into the ultimate symbol of everything that middle and working class white men unconsciously despise most.  How does he poke so deeply into the angry lizard part of their brains, the parts that vote for Trump and fight the culture wars so deeply. 

His being black is only a small part of it.  It is the combination of being black, wealthy, activist, (presumably) anti-patriotic, (presumably) hates our military, interferes with sports traditions, speaking out of turn, not knowing his place... it's EVERYTHING they resent.  The only thing that could make it worse is if he was a feminist.   

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Finally!  This will prove to be an invaluable reference.

Forward by Colin Cowherd.  ;)

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DM72 said:

I don't know if anyone else posted it or brought it up, but you need to see Ray Lewis' response to Shannon Sharp about him taking a knee or knees. Their friendship maybe over.

It's not

45 minutes ago, Predicto said:

But the fact remains that Kaep has never been the smartest, most polished, most media-savvy guy out there, and the fact that his message got muddled should surprise absolutely no one.  

Hold up. He clearly explained why he protested last year.

It got muddled because the media wanted to muddle it and many white supremacist supporters and sympathizes and moderates don't care about black lives and don't care about it. 

1 hour ago, DM72 said:

I don't know if anyone else posted it or brought it up, but you need to see Ray Lewis' response to Shannon Sharp about him taking a knee or knees. Their friendship maybe over.

James Brown had a look and tone to his voice that said "if you wasn't 6'2, 240lbs, i'd slap the **** out of your dumb ass"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Hold up. He clearly explained why he protested last year.

It got muddled because the media wanted to muddle it and many white supremacist supporters and sympathizes and moderates don't care about black lives and don't care about it. 

He explained it once, but he waited too long, and he also muddled it up with the Che t shirts and the media blackouts and everything else.  And yes, of course, the Sean Hannity's of the world have used him to rile up their angry mob of sheep.  

I live in San Francisco, and I watched Kaep in many interviews and so on over the years.  He's a good guy, but he is not media savvy or articulate, and he was just as awkward long before this controversy arose.   I think if someone with the brains, media savvy, and quick wit of a Lebron James had been the one in this situation, it would have been harder for the conservative media to twist it around.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Predicto said:

He explained it once, but he waited too long, and he also muddled it up with the Che t shirts and the media blackouts and everything else.  And yes, of course, the Sean Hannity's of the world have used him to rile up their angry mob of sheep.  

I live in San Francisco, and I watched Kaep in many interviews and so on over the years.  He's a good guy, but he is not media savvy or articulate, and he was just as awkward long before this controversy arose.   I think if someone with the brains, media savvy, and quick wit of a Lebron James had been the one in this situation, it would have been harder for the conservative media to twist it around.  

How long? He explained why on August 28th of last year.

The people who got "confused" in what he was protested were never interested in the cause he was advocating for and still don't care. Many of those people are on this board too. I have said it several times but I am tied of people lying over this. 

• Like 2