Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

15 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Yep, expectation fulfilled.

Nope. I'll proceed.

In many other countries, you stand for an anthem because you do as you're told. Here, it is subjective, dependent on the situation. Sometimes it's to honor fallen soldiers. Sometimes it's because you want to honor civil rights leaders. Sometimes you want to honor victims of tragedies.

Many times it's because you are being asked to honor a country that does not honor its own values and declarations, and on a daily basis, shows that despite whatever "Pride" people have, this country is not proud of us, as a whole.

I love this country. Because of that, I want it to be better. I want it to uphold it's values, and purge itself of an infestation that has corrupted  it at every level.

These players want to do the same. They respect what this country is SUPPOSED to stand for. They respect what that flag is SUPPOSED to stand for. And they know that neither is is happening right now, and they want to bring attention to that. Has nothing to do with anything BUT that. And it's a further testament to the work that needs to be done that...... Some, simply are incapable, or do not want to understand, and therefore do not want this country to move forward and realize its true potential.

Now, fulfill my expectation

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8
1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Who cares if you stand for the anthem.  That should be like #568,346 on our “must do” as American list.  It’s America for ****’s sake, who cares if we stand or not.

STOP DISRESPECTING THE MILITARY YOU WEAK LIBERAL!!!!!

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

he really thought his presence would change somethin?

hope he smiled for cameras on his way out

Someone should tell him to stop dignifying that President of his, then.

But, you know, 'Murica

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Even if you were libertarian, the **** child of conservatism, why would you care?

Standin in line, believin the lies.

• Thanks 1

People say this administration is the most divisive ever and they pull stuff like this giving proof. 

There is absolutely no possible way pence can claim he didn't know this was going to happen. 

This whole thing was painfully deliberate to rile up his base.

I've coined a new phrase that I think should go mainstream. 

Radicalized American patriotism. 

Don't get me wrong I support my country and my flag but these people are nuts. 

They truly are radicalized. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Again I ask all of you (Except Ladyskins fan). Why do people stand for an anthem (any anthem)?

I expect I'll get the same deflections.

Because they are told to and they don't think past that. They, like you, don't even know it's physiological failing and make up all kinds of reasons. 

Again I asked you for a quote of him saying he doesn't respect the country. And again you ignore the fact that he is kneeling instead of sitting OUT OF RESPECT. That is the reason. He stated it. A white guy former player military member (should check all the boxes for you) said it. YOU are making up your own reasons and it makes you look extremely thick that you refuse to admit it. Don't try to use LadySkinsFan to confirm YOUR bias.

Also I asked you, and you conviently ignored, what does the Anthem and the Flag stand for. No answer. I think it's because you know it doesn't stand for respect but for freedom to do what the he'll you want within the law. That's what being American means. You are disrespecting the flag by ignoring this fact consistently. Maybe your patriotism needs to be checked, not the players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Who cares if you stand for the anthem.  That should be like #568,346 on our “must do” as American list.  It’s America for ****’s sake, who cares if we stand or not.

The issue is people on this board twisting themselves into pretzels to explain why sitting for the anthem is not withholding respect for the country  (Except Ladyskinsfan she understands that is what it is). Despite Mr Sinister's explanation there is only one reason and that is to show respect , when you stand for another countries anthem you are showing respect (He seemed to think people only stand for their own countries anthems and the fact that people stand for other nations anthems sinks his entire explanation), likewise when your standing for your own countries anthem you are showing respect. The players are withholding their respect as their means of protest - simple as that  the denial of that and deflections and what not this board is attempting  just don't hold water.

What is ironic is the likes of Ladyskinsfan post which essentially confirmed what I was saying (Guess they didn't think that one through).   

Edited by nonniey
44 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Because they are told to and they don't think past that. They, like you, don't even know it's physiological failing and make up all kinds of reasons. 

Again I asked you for a quote of him saying he doesn't respect the country. And again you ignore the fact that he is kneeling instead of sitting OUT OF RESPECT. That is the reason. He stated it. A white guy former player military member (should check all the boxes for you) said it. YOU are making up your own reasons and it makes you look extremely thick that you refuse to admit it. Don't try to use LadySkinsFan to confirm YOUR bias.

Also I asked you, and you conviently ignored, what does the Anthem and the Flag stand for. No answer. I think it's because you know it doesn't stand for respect but for freedom to do what the he'll you want within the law. That's what being American means. You are disrespecting the flag by ignoring this fact consistently. Maybe your patriotism needs to be checked, not the players. 

The Anthems and Flags are symbols for a country. Pretty sure that is self evident. 

Edited by nonniey

I don't recognize symbols. I DO recognize our Constitution. Unfortunately, our highest elected officials are busy destroying our Republic, and consider themselves above the rule of our laws.

I want to see a pledge that consists of the Preamble of the Constitution. That I can get behind.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, nonniey said:

The Anthems and Flags are symbols for a country. Pretty sure that is self evident. 

I've always felt that the country is bigger than the government, the military, or any individual. When I stand for the Star Spangled Banner, I am saluting the military, but also the Constitution, our children, our aspirations, ideals, etc. The military supports our nation. It isn't our nation. In the context of the National Anthem, the military is as much of a symbol as the flag. It represents our liberties, laws, and our best selves. It also represents our shames, our mistakes, our attrocities, and our worst selves.

One of the things I admire most about America and like to believe is true is that we are unafraid of the truth and that generation by generation we have striven to be better, to correct our sins and our mistakes. I see no shame in expressing one's frustration with a perceived wrong in one of our nation's institutions. In fact, I see a great right in fighting to make our country rise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Its much easier to stop playing games and just say you're okay with everything thats going on in the country right now.

I have already submitted a link, showing you the literal interpretation of the symbols on the American flag. Proud "Patriot" that you are, you know the words to the National anthem. And it's clear to any half wit with their heart in a good place to know that what is going on here is a betrayal to those symbols.

As for us standing for other nations flags, it is irrelevant, and a retarded copout, and no, I don't think we only stand for our own nations flag. That question was just so dumb  it did not deserve a response.

This is Americas anthem/Flag. Not some Israeli Prime Ministers anthem. Not the Olympics. Not anything else. Its our flag, our demons, and our skeletons  We don't have to respect it. We don't have to stand for it. I would burn that mother****er right in front of you and it would be Constitutionally protected.

You wanna talk about respect? Respect what the flag and anthem TRULY stand for. That is where you fall laughably short of any of the players you have a problem with.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I've always felt that the country is bigger than the government, the military, or any individual. When I stand for the Star Spangled Banner, I am saluting the military, but also the Constitution, our children, our aspirations, ideals, etc. The military supports our nation. It isn't our nation. In the context of the National Anthem, the military is as much of a symbol as the flag. It represents our liberties, laws, and our best selves. It also represents our shames, our mistakes, our attrocities, and our worst selves.

One of the things I admire most about America and like to believe is true is that we are unafraid of the truth and that generation by generation we have striven to be better, to correct our sins and our mistakes. I see no shame in expressing one's frustration with a perceived wrong in one of our nation's institutions. In fact, I see a great right in fighting to make our country rise.

Absolutely in agreement with about the country being bigger than the government, the military or any individual. National anthems and flags are symbols that represent a country (not the military, government or any individual). But You may take some flack from normal allies for undercutting a couple of positions on this page.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Its much easier to stop playing games and just say you're okay with everything thats going on in the country right now.

I have already submitted a link, showing you the literal interpretation of the symbols on the American flag. Proud "Patriot" that you are, you know the words to the National anthem. And it's clear to any half wit with their heart in a good place to know that what is going on here is a betrayal to those symbols.

As for us standing for other nations flags, it is irrelevant, and a retarded copout, and no, I don't think we only stand for our own nations flag. That question was just so dumb  it did not deserve a response.

This is Americas anthem/Flag. Not some Israeli Prime Ministers anthem. Not the Olympics. Not anything else. Its our flag, our demons, and our skeletons  We don't have to respect it. We don't have to stand for the it. I would burn that mother****er right in front of you and it would be Constitutionally protected.

You wanna talk about respect? Respect what the flag and anthem TRULY stand for. That is where you fall laughably short of any of the players you have a problem with.

I'll take this as a concession from from you (in your way of doing such things) that you were off base on why people stand for an anthem and why they sit.

Edited by nonniey