Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

3 minutes ago, zoony said:

A dynasty with half their defense injured, 0 goals.  Lol

Keep striving for excellence children

A dynasty with the two best players of this era.  They proved last year that they can pull people off the street to play d and still win the cup.  They're odds on favorite to win the cup again, so we're not only ones losing to these guys.  What was your point again, other than "waaaaaaah"

56 minutes ago, Koala said:

I waited 2 days to post hoping the idiocy would die down by now.

I didn't wait long enough.

Guys we lost in 7 games to likely the dynasty of our era.  Again.  Get over it, you children.  That's sports for ya.  Sometimes a good teams run into dynasties that they can't get past.  Doesn't mean the owner is trying (anyone accusing Leonsis of not wanting to win is a moron that obviously didn't watch the caps or wizards back in the days of Abe Pollin).  Doesn't mean Ovechkin sux, or hasn't tried hard enough, or doesn't care.  He's the best goal scorer of this generation.  Unfortunately, the best player of the generation I'd on the Penguins squad.

It's not a curse, and it's not luck, and we don't need to blow this thing up anymore than salary cap concerns require us to.  GMBM is on thin ice, the two biggest deals of his time period have been stinkers:  Brooks Orpik And ****tenkirk.  We either move on for him now, or doubledown on him: the last thing I want is a GM desperate to keep his job.

Which reminds me of the real "blame" for the loss -- it was mistake made several years ago, and it's name was Forsberg.  Sometimes consequences for mistakes last a life time, this was one of those mistakes.  That's what would have made us slightly better than the Pens. 

But, the truth is, the pens are slightly better.  Seriously, get over it, thats how competitions go -- the other guy is competing too!!!  In the mean time, stop expecting the Caps to win the cup -- just enjoy the fact that they are a competitive team that is a yearly contender.  And who knows, if they ever get a lucky bounce, they might just win the whole damn thing!  If you can't appreciate that, think about the Redskins, and then come back and post here! 

And btw for everyone heaping blame on Ovi while giving Kuzy a pass, go to the end of the 2nd period, and tell me who that is laughing with his team down in game 7. 

Two days? It hasn't even been 24 hours.

27 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

So what? Kuznetsov was the best player on the ice the second half of the series. Ovechkin was a non-factor.

Mmm, I think Burakovaky or Backstrom were better, or even Oshie especially in game 7 Oshie put on a herculean effort but was just unlucky.  The Pens marked Ovi well in game 7, he got robbed by Fleury one save.  

Kuznetsov did not exist in game 7.  He did absolutely nothing.  

I love how everyone is saying Kuzy had a good.playoffs.  Haha he was -1 for the playoffs.  Granted he was better than Ovi, but why are we we comparing a young Kuzy to an aging ovechkin playing through injury?  Put it this way, imagine a healthy 24 year old ovechkin on this team -- we would swept the Pens cuz we had deeper team this time.  

So I really don't get why keep hositing Kuznetsov as some sort savior.   Don't you get, this is the best we're ever gonna get from Kuzy, and his problem his unfixable -- its heart.  His heart is in Russia, we damn near had to beg him to leave the KHL and come here -- you think hes ready or willing to pay the price to lead a team to Stanley Cup???  HAHAHHA.  Hes the one who we need to send back to Russia. 

Hey if you wanna trade Ovi for a bag of peanuts and leave the fate of this franchise to a rich man's Alex Semin, be my guest.  But Ovis contract and age ensures we won't get equal value for him.  OTOH, I would be all ears for trading Kuznetsov -- all I'd want in return is a 60 point scorer with a strong desire to win the Cup.

4 minutes ago, skinswillwin06 said:

Two days? It hasn't even been 24 hours.

Lol, true, but with caps out, and 4 months to go before meaningful football, time is going by reeeeeeeallly slowly right now.

50 minutes ago, Koala said:

A dynasty with the two best players of this era.  They proved last year that they can pull people off the street to play d and still win the cup.  They're odds on favorite to win the cup again, so we're not only ones losing to these guys.  What was your point again, other than "waaaaaaah"

A) The Pens are not a dynasty. 

2) They may have the best player but Malkin is not the second best player of this era. 

3) It's not simply losing to the Pens, it's losing to everyone and not making it past the second round. 

4) What's the point of sports if not to win a championship? 

1 hour ago, Koala said:

1) The Pens have been bounced in the playoffs, even very early, plenty of times over the past 10 years.   They're hardly unbeatable (no team is, especially in the modern NHL).  

2) Caps problem just isn't the Pens.  We've also been had repeatedly by Rangers, got bounced by the 8th seed Canadiens in the 1st round, and swept by the Lightning.   Its a repeating theme that has little to do with our opponent. 

I'm betting that Lou Lamoriello gets the Maple Leafs to the Conference finals sometime in the next 3 seasons, and he will have had alot less talent to work with than GMBM had when he joined the Caps 

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Koala --- great post.  I struggle to be an objective sports fan for my own team.  When we take on a fandom identity, it is hard to be objective like that.  

I imagine this is 100x the gut punch on the players.

In all honesty, the pens are better with the puck, more organized on the back check and ready to release at any time. It really is beautiful to watch if you love hockey. They raise their level of play when it counts. Keep Oshie and all the youngsters. Jettison Ovechkin and Backstrom. Still haven't figured out why we traded Forsberg.

1 hour ago, wolfsire said:

In all honesty, the pens are better with the puck, more organized on the back check and ready to release at any time. It really is beautiful to watch if you love hockey. They raise their level of play when it counts. Keep Oshie and all the youngsters. Jettison Ovechkin and Backstrom. Still haven't figured out why we traded Forsberg.

Getting rid of Backstrom would be a terrible mistake. He's one of the most elite pure playmakers in the NHL with many years left. 

Getting rid of Backstrom would be a worse move than trading Flip. Which, for the love of all things, people need to get over. I mean, a post in here mocking some going waaaaa while simultaneously still bringing up that trade...isn't it ironic, don't ya think. That is not the reason the Caps lost the last two years. 

Honestly I'm glad this team will look very different next year. We're not getting rid of Ovechkin or Backstrom so get over that idea. 

Since we aren't best thing is to get speed, as much speed as possible. 

And someone needs to have a serious talk with Ovechkin and say listen if you don't want to retire a loser, you have to do the little things right, for once. Can't lose pucks along the board, can't be lazy with clears, can't casually play at 235 pounds at your age.

32 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Getting rid of Backstrom would be a worse move than trading Flip. Which, for the love of all things, people need to get over. I mean, a post in here mocking some going waaaaa while simultaneously still bringing up that trade...isn't it ironic, don't ya think. That is not the reason the Caps lost the last two years. 

I was thinking this exact same thing earlier. People bemoan the Forsberg trade, then think it's a good idea to trade Backstrom. People have to let go of the Forsberg trade. It happened under a different GM at a different time. It was a bad trade, but that happens and you can't change the past. 

Trading Backstrom only makes sense if they want to go full rebuild like they did before getting OV, Backstrom, Green, et al. In that case, you trade everyone for young talent and get as many young players and draft picks as you can. Then you wait 3 or 4 years before seeing another winning season. But that takes a full commitment and the realization from the teams and the fans that you will be the NHL doormat for a while. 

The Caps are going to be different next year.  Not sure they can keep any of their UFAs at this point.

Under Contract - $50,188,4562 (last year under contract)

Ovie ('20-21)

Nicky ('19-20)

Holtby ('19-20)

Niskanen ('20-21)

Orpik ('18-19)

MoJo ('18-19)

Carlson ('17-18)

Eller ('17-18)

Wilson ('17-18)

Beagle ('17-18)

Chorney ('17-18)

RFA

Kuzy (ARB eligible)

Burakovsky

Orlov (ARB eligible)

Schmidt (ARB eligible)

Connolly (ARB eligible)

UFA

Oshie

Alzner

Williams

Winnik

Shattenkirk

Copley (big if Grubi gets expansion drafted)

Galiev

Carey

Borque

Mitchell

Gilbert

Thomas

Approximate cap space: $23,766,734

Kuzy, Burakovsky, Orlov, & Schmidt NEED to be resigned.  That is going to take at least $10M, leaving just over $13.76M in cap space. Oshie is going to require $6M+.

There are some seriously tough decisions that need to be made, and UFA will be interesting...

Barry Trotz went into the Greene Turtle late Wednesday after the game to unwind with a couple of beers.  The waiter asked if he wanted another one.  Trotz told him "Oh no. I never go past the second round."

I'm going to say it, and its going to be unpopular, but there it is: trade Holtby. As good as  he is, I'm almsost certain his confidence

in himself as a playoff goalie is totally shot. I don't think he'll ever recover from this series. Trade him for a kings ransom, and

put our trust in Grubs. 

Also, I was thinking about the argument:"The Caps would never trade OV because he brings in the fans and it would be a poor

financial decision." So why not trade OV for another star? By which I mean a young and up coming star. like Matthews from Toronto

or MacKinnon from Colorado. OV for a teams young star + a boatload of picks. Ted would have to think twice about it, at least. 

I've been thinking about this the last few days, we should probably keep Backstrom (It's REALLY hard replacing 80+ point Centers).  We just need to get a coach in here to get him to shoot the puck more. Ovie, in the end we will probably keep (keeps butts in the seats, replacing 30 goal scorers is hard, and not many teams can take on 10 million).  Get him to come in camp in shape and drop some weight.  That leaves me with, Holtby.  I think hes the most expendable out of the core.  He let in WAY too many soft goals in the playoffs.. If we can get a decent trade and some cap space I would do it. Shattenkirk,Williams, Orpik, Winnik, Eller, Alzner need to go. Try to resign Oshie. 

Edit:

Oh, I forgot: fire Trotz.  Get a guy in here who has already gotten past the second round.  Trotz has coach more than 15 seasons and can't get past the second round. He's proven he can't.

Archived