Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

Calling for Ted to fire GMBM boggles the mind. The LAST person you can blame for this disaster is GMBM, who did everything

in his power to make the Caps, at least on paper, to be a contender. The Shatterkirk trade was inspired.

If anyone has to go, its Trotz, who got convincingly outcoached both by Toronto and Pittsburgh. Really, all he is is a glorified version of Bruce

Boudreau -- able to captian his team to regular season glories, but can't do a thing in the playoffs. Babc*ck is the guy we should have gone after all along.

I almost guarantee he is going to win a Cup at some point with Toronto.

17 minutes ago, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

I can't believe the ****ing Mighty Ducks have won a Stanley Cup and are after another in the next round.

We've been around since the early 70s, been in battle with iconic franchises and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

I think my days of anxious excitement- extra levels on the excitement over 29 years- are about done. Not to say I'll stop following the team but who knows if I make sure to watch every playoff game from here on out.

Mickey mouse franchises like Carolina, Tampa Bay, and Anaheim have all won franchises before us. Just a disgrace.

And i dont care what the homer mcblind fan police say, Ovechkin sucks.  He is straight up bad.  I just cannot believe the hype around a guy that slow and that soft with the puck

Not only do you trade him, you look at any way possible to get him off your Team.  Terrible

54 minutes ago, zoony said:

And i dont care what the homer mcblind fan police say, Ovechkin sucks.  He is straight up bad.  I just cannot believe the hype around a guy that slow and that soft with the puck

Not only do you trade him, you look at any way possible to get him off your Team.  Terrible

You know, for years I've stood by and applauded him. But he's been a one trick pony for years. Park outside the circle, and wait for a pass to hit a slapshot. 

In terms of problems, Ted and GMBM are down the list.  Ted has made some mistakes, sure, but in the most important department, staying out of the way of your GM and Coach, he's been good.  Indeed, arguably his greatest sin was too long of a leash on GMGM.

I put Trotz at the top.  Not that I move him for another Oates where we lose a couple seasons, but if a Stanley Cup winning coach shows up on the market (or even not on the market but in a position where we can negotiate with them without tampering), Trotz should be out.

After that, maybe some assistant coaches, but I think the players gotta be next.  Which players, there will be some disagreement on, but I think most of us agree it's not the young guys.

I was thinking in football terms of who Ovi will wind up being. I think I like Barry Sanders. Everyone agrees that Sanders was one of the all time great running backs, but his teams never did much. More often than not, they never made the playoffs. All sizzle and no substance. Some say it was because there was never enough talent around Barry, but others argue that his style netted him a whole lot of negative plays in addition to the amazing ones. Maybe Eric Dickerson is a better fit. Another great player who fizzled in the playoffs or Calvin Johnson.

I'd kind of like Ovi to at least be Walter Payton who gets carried along the ride in earning a ring. Payton was an all time great running back, but when the Bears won their Superbowl it was all about the defense. Payton was on fumes. The offense was MacMahon doing just enough passing and Payton burning clock while the Bears nullified everyone. Right now, that's how I imagine Ovi could get his cup. That, or like John Elway with the Broncos. He's still the quarterback, but Terrell Davis and the D are the heroes.

I don't particularly care for hockey...so I'm not trying to be a smartass when I ask this, but is there another team out there that's currently gone through **** like this?  Like another team that's really good during the regular season but can't get it done in the postseason for a few years straight?

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't particularly care for hockey...so I'm not trying to be a smartass when I ask this, but is there another team out there that's currently gone through **** like this?  Like another team that's really good during the regular season but can't get it done in the postseason for a few years straight?

I think best bet on that front is to just follow Bruce Boudreau around the league.  Ducks couldn't get it done while he was there, now Wild fizzled hard.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

First one that comes to mind is the Buffalo Bills, but I think the better parallel is Marty's Chiefs. I remember them racking up 14-2, 13-3 regular seasons and then always being swept in the first round of the playoffs. Maybe the Bengals too in recent years when they were very good one and done teams. I suspect there is a good rivalry team that always lost every year to Jordan's Bulls?

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Thankfully the Eagles have suffered this fate for a while. I'll actually die if they ever win the super.

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

First one that comes to mind is the Buffalo Bills, but I think the better parallel is Marty's Chiefs. I remember them racking up 14-2, 13-3 regular seasons and then always being swept in the first round of the playoffs. Maybe the Bengals too in recent years when they were very good one and done teams. I suspect there is a good rivalry team that always lost every year to Jordan's Bulls?

5 minutes ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

Thankfully the Eagles have suffered this fate for a while. I'll actually die if they ever win the super.

Bills, of course.  I wasn't clear, I just meant in the NHL if there's another team that's like this.

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The basketball equivalent IMO is the Knicks. Had one of the greatest centers in history, kicked complete ass during the regular season, but at the end of the year was stuck looking like this

20150805-1-ewing.jpg

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

The basketball equivalent IMO is the Knicks. Had one of the greatest centers in history, kicked complete ass during the regular season, but at the end of the year was stuck looking like this

Michael Jordan just tormented that poor man for years in college and in the NBA.  

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Besides the local baseball team? 

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

But Jordan wasn't on the Olympic team of '84, which turned out to be The Ewing Show, was he?:)

Haha, I'm too young to remember but I think you might wanna recheck that :) 

6 minutes ago, grego said:

Besides the local baseball team? 

Meant to be more clear, I meant in the NHL.

Ewing at least did get his gold medal and a college championship. As great as Ovi is, I don't think he's ever taken a team to the mountaintop. And at least with the Russian National Team or Caps you can never say it wasn't about not having sufficient talent.

8 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Withhold your money until changes are made to make the team a winner.  

What the Caps have built is a team that people love to go watch during the season.  Love to wear there gear.  All the while lining the owners pocket.  There is ZERO incentive for the owner to make the big changes needed to win a cup.  The same thing has happened with the Skins since Snyder bought the team. They are both built to be money makers.  Not trophy raisers. 

the Caps have changed themselves quit a few times

I wake up stunned, I knew we were in trouble when we didn't bury one in the first five minutes. That was the play and start we needed and the chances were there. I agree with Hersh 100%, I'd like to move Holtby and Ovechkin. Ovie has done a lot for this city and hockey so I'd ask him if he has anywhere he'd prefer to go if it is possible. It's time though, give him a chance to win a cup somewhere else and get something for him. As it is, it might be too late as unless he goes under the knife for something this week he lost a gear. What a sad end to a great era of hockey. This city even ruined Mr. Game 7 :(. Simple truth is we had to win either games 1 or 4. Outplaying the Pens 6 times in a 7 game series was unrealistic. 

Find it it very interesting Trotz said he was too emotional to answer questions about Ovechkins play.

I think Leonsis is a good owner, as a general statement.  Think its bad now look,at those two franchises before he bought them

I also think the Caps GM has done a good job, overall, along with Trotz.  Dont think either should be fired

What can you realistically get in return for Ovechkin? We need a Captain who is an overall player like Crosby and that Matthews kid from Toronto.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/hockey-fans-ruthlessly-trolled-the-capitals-on-twitter-after-game-7-loss-to-the-penguins/ar-BBB05v9?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Hockey fans ruthlessly trolled the Capitals on Twitter after Game 7 loss to the Penguins

The sad thing is, we should have won the series. We out played the Pens in Game 1, Game 3, Game 5 and Game 6.

They didn't have Letang. They didn't have Murray. They didn't have Crosby for an entire game and 2 periods. Despite

all of this we lose the series. Because of those achingly small mistakes. The energy lapse at the start of period 2 in Game 1.

Brooks Freaking Orpik blowing a coverage in period 3 of Game 1. Dmitri Orlov with an own goal in Game 4. It was these small,

typical Caps like errors that cost us a series that we dominated for the most part against a totally crippled Penguins team.  

Archived