Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

Well, I didn't want to be the one to start this... but who cares right?

The Capitals and their success have nothing to do with fan superstitions... which is why this year, it's a stress free year for me regardless of how much I love this team or how much I love the sport.

Repeat after me, fellas:

"I am a fan"

*audience repeats*

*DC9 pauses for dramatic effect*

"I don't play for the Caps, and nothing I say or do will effect the outcome of a game"

*audience repeats*

Alright, that's settled - let's have a look at the Dev Camp invites:

Cl9qt_XVAAInXwZ.jpg

*Remember, this year we have the World Cup of Hockey from 17 September 2016 - 1 October 2016 (Go Murica!)

*Capitals preseason Hockey starts on Monday, 26 September 2016 against the Carolina Hurricanes

*Capitals regular season Hockey starts on Thirsty Thursday, 13 October 2016 against the Cup Holders - @ Pittsburgh

Dave @BmoreDaveS 3h3 hours ago

Quick note: Jakub Vrana isn't on the #Capitals dev camp roster and neither is Vanecek. Both wouldn't gain anything from attending. #caps

Washington CapitalsVerified account @Capitals 3h3 hours ago Kettler Capitals Iceplex

Hockey is back as the guys get geared up for Day 1 of #CapsDevCamp tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/BmMoFkbYUH

Cl9rtKfWYAAL1Wd.jpg

Here's to hoping MoJo gets slapped around on the market and comes back at reasonable price, if he makes it as far as the market.

MoJo - Eller - Wilson would be a solid 3rd line.  Improved from last year.

Bring back Chimmy on the cheap for one more rodeo on the 4th line (with some Vrana for flavor), and we actually should have improved the bottom 6 from last year.

Now we just need an injury free top 4 D.

Here's to hoping MoJo gets slapped around on the market and comes back at reasonable price, if he makes it as far as the market.

MoJo - Eller - Wilson would be a solid 3rd line.  Improved from last year.

Bring back Chimmy on the cheap for one more rodeo on the 4th line (with some Vrana for flavor), and we actually should have improved the bottom 6 from last year.

Now we just need an injury free top 4 D.

I don't want Chimera back.

Loved him last year but we need to move on and that's a pre-determined spot for upgrade.

I'd also side with having a 3rd line of  _____ - Eller - Williams (hopefully that blank is Loui Erikkson in the next couple of weeks - he's my number 1 target for the Caps).  Plus you have to shorten Williams TOI - I think we saw last year he's near the cliff's edge so we'll need to keep him off the top 2 lines during the regular season.  It is what it is.  

So, in a perfect world for me we approach the season like this:

Free Agents/Hopefuls

Rookies

Ovechkin - Kuzy - Oshi

Vrana - Backstrom - Burakovsky

Erikkson - Eller - Williams

Winnik - Beagle - Wilson (let walk)

Alzner - Niskanen

Carlson - Orpik

Bowey - Schmidt/Orlov (trade bait)

Holtby

Grubs (trade bait)

I would also give Nate Walker some SERIOUS consideration if GMBM is not 100% sold on Tom Wilson (which for now, I'm not.  Not saying you should toss him away, but he's in Galiev territory for me). 

I'm fine with not bringing Chimmer back, but we need to replace his 40 points, which will be a tall order in the market with our cap limitations.

I also suspect Vrana won't get 2nd line time, barring mass injuries.  From statements it sounds like he'll get some games, but we'll mostly keep him down.  I'd be a little worried about his development too, putting him on the 2nd line so quickly, but yeah, limiting Williams' TOI would be helpful, definitely.  Not sure how to balance those interests though.

Maybe push Wilson to the 2nd line and tell him to sink or swim?  Would kick Williams down to 3rd line while allowing Vrana to spot-fill on 4th.

Erikkson would be really nice, but rumors are he's gonna get 5+ years from someone.  That makes me antsy as he'll be 31 soon, but on the other hand, Erikkson - Eller - Williams would be a great 3rd line.  If we're going win-now, and we appear to at least be leaning that way, go for it.

I'm less antsy about Bowey getting significant games than I am about Vrana, getting him going as a 3rd pairing D-man would be good, so I'm in agreement there.

per ESPN, 

Montreal Canadiens trade Lars Eller to the Washington Capitals for a second-round pick in 2017 and a second-round pick in 2018

Let's revisit this trade next spring if the Capitals are finally able to shed their playoff demons and embark on a long playoff run, because Eller fulfills an obvious need as a third-line center, playing behind Evgeny Kuznetsov and Nicklas Backstrom. Playing with high-skill players, Eller has 20-goal potential. The Caps' offensive depth, or lack thereof, was a factor in their second-round playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins, even though they ran roughshod over the competition during the regular season while winning the Presidents' Trophy. Eller, 27, has two more years left on a contract with a $3.5 million cap hit.

I like the move.

Thanks for starting this thread, DC9.  Hope you bring some 'mojo' to the team this season.

I'm fine with not bringing Chimmer back, but we need to replace his 40 points, which will be a tall order in the market with our cap limitations.

I also suspect Vrana won't get 2nd line time, barring mass injuries.  From statements it sounds like he'll get some games, but we'll mostly keep him down.  I'd be a little worried about his development too, putting him on the 2nd line so quickly, but yeah, limiting Williams' TOI would be helpful, definitely.  Not sure how to balance those interests though.

Maybe push Wilson to the 2nd line and tell him to sink or swim?  Would kick Williams down to 3rd line while allowing Vrana to spot-fill on 4th.

If Vrana isn't skating the 2nd line I don't want him up.  He's a top 6 forward.  Keep him in Hershey if he isn't going to play top 6 minutes.

That's where we messed up with Wilson.

I'd be alright if Wilson got top 6 right away but I just think it's too little too late.  He's a 3rd liner at best and his development was awfully mapped out.  Totally ruined by Oates.  If Wilson up on the 2nd line, what's your back-up plan besides letting Williams take those minutes again?

I doubt seriously anyone gives Erikkson a 5 year deal.  No way.

Kinda bummed to see GMBM change his mind on offering Latta a QO.. Guess the Ellar deal made him expendable? Hope it doesn't screw up Wilson's mojo since those two were attached at he hip.. This year will definitely be the make/break year for Wilson. Will he turn into a real hockey player or be deemed a 4th line goon for the remainder of his career? All the Caps can hope for is the former.. Hate to have wasted another 1st rounder since it's now (double official) that we got zip for Forsberg..

Hope it doesn't screw up Wilson's mojo

Slavery is illegal so Wilson's MoJo was never his anyway.

:D

Alternative Joke:

Wait, Wilson had mojo to screw up?

If Vrana isn't skating the 2nd line I don't want him up.  He's a top 6 forward.  Keep him in Hershey if he isn't going to play top 6 minutes.

That's where we messed up with Wilson.

I'd be alright if Wilson got top 6 right away but I just think it's too little too late.  He's a 3rd liner at best and his development was awfully mapped out.  Totally ruined by Oates.  If Wilson up on the 2nd line, what's your back-up plan besides letting Williams take those minutes again?

I doubt seriously anyone gives Erikkson a 5 year deal.  No way.

I mean, if Vrana is ready for Top 6 minutes against opposing lines, go for it.  Would love to see what the kid can do.  I'm just not sure he's ready for that.  3rd Line with Eller might not be bad though, Williams - Eller - Vrana could be an interesting 3rd line, with a high ceiling.

Anyways, play Vrana at the position that maximizes his potential, that's all I want.

I still think we need to try and salvage Wilson.  It's a tall order, but being up there with Kuzy and Bura might do it.  Might light the fire under him we need.

And the 5 year deal length comes from here: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2016/06/26/loui-eriksson-in-talks-with-six-teams-bruins-willing-to-go-past-4-years/

It could end up where he takes 4 but costs more.  Depends on price at that point, unless we feel he's the key to the kingdom, then pay him.

Sad to see Wilson's brobean go, but there doesn't seem to really be a spot for him on the roster.

Slavery is illegal so Wilson's MoJo was never his anyway.

:D

Alternative Joke:

Wait, Wilson had mojo to screw up?

I'll tell you, in my opinion, aside from Latta offering very little to the Caps since he's been here (and we won't get into that...), I think this was one of those wake-up moves for Wilson.

His game matured a lot last year, but getting rid of Latta/Wilson's playmate is a signal to Willy that he needs to sack the **** up and take this JOB seriously if he wants to be anything more than a goon in this league.  Kid has a ton of potential and he needs to be paying more attention to guys like JWill.  Refine becoming a power forward in the NHL.

Love the kid... but it's time for some tough love. 

I mean, if Vrana is ready for Top 6 minutes against opposing lines, go for it.  Would love to see what the kid can do.  I'm just not sure he's ready for that.  3rd Line with Eller might not be bad though, Williams - Eller - Vrana could be an interesting 3rd line, with a high ceiling.

Anyways, play Vrana at the position that maximizes his potential, that's all I want.

I still think we need to try and salvage Wilson.  It's a tall order, but being up there with Kuzy and Bura might do it.  Might light the fire under him we need.

And the 5 year deal length comes from here: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2016/06/26/loui-eriksson-in-talks-with-six-teams-bruins-willing-to-go-past-4-years/

It could end up where he takes 4 but costs more.  Depends on price at that point, unless we feel he's the key to the kingdom, then pay him.

Yeah, was into on twitter last night and I think at the end of the day, Vrana will get another year down in Hershey as the "next man up" in the case of a top 6 injury.  I would get him up next Spring though.  If he performs well, let him play in the playoffs.

Kinda bummed to see GMBM change his mind on offering Latta a QO.. Guess the Ellar deal made him expendable? Hope it doesn't screw up Wilson's mojo since those two were attached at he hip.. This year will definitely be the make/break year for Wilson. Will he turn into a real hockey player or be deemed a 4th line goon for the remainder of his career? All the Caps can hope for is the former.. Hate to have wasted another 1st rounder since it's now (double official) that we got zip for Forsberg..

I think Latta was expendable because they want to give guys like Stephenson/Barber 4th line minutes at some point.  I liked Latta, but I think there is more of a future in the organization for those two. 

Latta doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things and if any player can't handle their BFF getting traded or let go then they ultimately won't be a player worth keeping either. I don't think Wilson will be bothered at all. These guys know it's a business.

If Vrana is good, play him on the 2nd or 3rd line. Wilson should not be on the 4th line anymore and hopefully he has a play making center to work with. All I hope is that if the Caps trust the young guys to start the season and they are winning, they don't make a series of moves during the season to bring in worthless veterans.

I live in the area again so I get to see the sadness in person more often now

Yay

I'm dead serious... sports in this town affects traffic.  Just in case you don't remember.

Latta doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things and if any player can't handle their BFF getting traded or let go then they ultimately won't be a player worth keeping either. I don't think Wilson will be bothered at all. These guys know it's a business.

If Vrana is good, play him on the 2nd or 3rd line. Wilson should not be on the 4th line anymore and hopefully he has a play making center to work with. All I hope is that if the Caps trust the young guys to start the season and they are winning, they don't make a series of moves during the season to bring in worthless veterans.

We're 2 for 2 in brining in that 7th defenseman who does nothing.

But I get what you're saying. 

It'll be on Trotz to monitor the "wall" for Vrana (if he even stays up).

I'd love nothing more than for Willy to be a top 6 forward and I hope he's ready to do work.  God knows we could've used a power forward in that Pens series, a la Joel Ward.

I'll tell you, in my opinion, aside from Latta offering very little to the Caps since he's been here (and we won't get into that...), I think this was one of those wake-up moves for Wilson.

His game matured a lot last year, but getting rid of Latta/Wilson's playmate is a signal to Willy that he needs to sack the **** up and take this JOB seriously if he wants to be anything more than a goon in this league.  Kid has a ton of potential and he needs to be paying more attention to guys like JWill.  Refine becoming a power forward in the NHL.

Love the kid... but it's time for some tough love. 

Yeah, was into on twitter last night and I think at the end of the day, Vrana will get another year down in Hershey as the "next man up" in the case of a top 6 injury.  I would get him up next Spring though.  If he performs well, let him play in the playoffs.

Yeah, Wilson's window to develop enough to justify continued investment is 1, maybe 2 years.  So definitely a wake-up call.

It's why, frankly, if there's any sort of question mark with that 2nd line RW spot (and with Vrana being too young, JWill being too old, and MoJo being too disappointing, I think there definitely is a ? there), give it to Wilson and tell him to prove to us that he deserves top 9 ice time.  He doesn't need 50 points per season, but if he isn't on pace for at least 30 points after 40 games, we need to seriously consider alternatives to him going forward.

Latta was/is totally expendable.  In my NHL 16 Be-a-GM mode, I basically sent him to Hershey and paid him barely above the league minimum for a couple years until my prospect pool developed.  About 2 years later he got too big for his britches and asked for 2M, and I cut him loose without remorse.  Guy is such a JAG it hurts.  I'm sure he's a wonderful person, but we're tryna win a Stanley Cup over here.

And yeah, I've been hearing Vrana will stay down.  Heard maybe 12 games?  Depending on what happens in MoJo's spot, maybe give Wilson the first 50ish for 2nd RW, then Vrana a dozen or so games to see how he performs, while moving Wilson to 3rd RW to see how we does there with Eller.  JWill would need to slide to MoJo's spot or move to 4th line, but if we got Erikkson or something, he might have to drop to 4th line for a while, and I hope he wouldn't be too mad about that (though he'd absolutely dominate against 4th line players).

And yeah, I've been hearing Vrana will stay down.  Heard maybe 12 games?  Depending on what happens in MoJo's spot, maybe give Wilson the first 50ish for 2nd RW, then Vrana a dozen or so games to see how he performs, while moving Wilson to 3rd RW to see how we does there with Eller.  JWill would need to slide to MoJo's spot or move to 4th line, but if we got Erikkson or something, he might have to drop to 4th line for a while, and I hope he wouldn't be too mad about that (though he'd absolutely dominate against 4th line players).

I think the 12 games comes from a rookie can play the first 10 or 12 (maybe even 8, I don't remember) games of the NHL season and so long as you send him down to the AHL after that, it will not count as a year towards their free agency.

We did it with Burakovsky his rookie year, I believe. 

I agree that the best plan for Vrana is to send him down straight away.  We don't NEED him to get into the playoffs, but we may need him in the playoffs, or at least could use him.

It's good to have a player force his way up.

I think the 12 games comes from a rookie can play the first 10 or 12 (maybe even 8, I don't remember) games of the NHL season and so long as you send him down to the AHL after that, it will not count as a year towards their free agency.

We did it with Burakovsky his rookie year, I believe. 

I agree that the best plan for Vrana is to send him down straight away.  We don't NEED him to get into the playoffs, but we may need him in the playoffs, or at least could use him.

It's good to have a player force his way up.

Ah, alright, wasn't sure about exact rules.

And Vrana definitely might.  I mean, guy was on pace for 71 points, which would have been 3rd best in the AHL, and his 14 points in 21 Calder Cup playoff games was/is nothing to scoff at.  Guy is outgrowing the AHL quickly, it's just a matter of how soon he's totally outgrown it and where we can put him when he does.

Archived