Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

and we are hoping for Wilson to step up to a top flight power forward(which I would love, but seems unlikely)

Oh, make no mistake, we are PRAYING Wilson can take a step toward an actual power forward.. He's basically useless in his current role of taking penalties and disappearing on the 4th line.. W/o a solid 3rd line, we're just spinning wheels and getting ready for playoff failure once again..

Wait, who from the top 6 did we lose? Ovi, Kuzy, Oshie, Bura, Backy, and Williams are all still here. A deal with MoJo will come down or he'll be replaced, but he's not really top 6.

Mojo is a top 6 player on 20 teams in the NHL. He's better than Bura just got slotted down due to injuries.

Mojo is a top 6 player on 20 teams in the NHL. He's better than Bura just got slotted down due to injuries.

I think Bura has the potential to be better, MoJo is a known quantity, and it's between 2nd and 3rd line quality, while Bura is still a baby; he needed those top 6 minutes to grow and should grow into them very well over the coming years.  Even if MoJo is top 6 on 20 teams, that still means he's not a 2nd liner on most playoff quality teams.

I'm not saying MoJo is bad, but I don't think he's a bona fide top 6 forward in the NHL, and that's part of the reason there's friction on the dollar amount.  If he was definitely a top 6 player, I don't think there'd be as much concern over his 4.5M asking price as there currently is.  Indeed, his 3.75M was already tied for 42nd among LWs, which, even if we assume he's a top 6 forward on 20 teams would be a good salary (since he'd be slotted somewhere between 40 and 60 in that estimation anyway).

But ceiling and salary talks aside we still haven't lost him, he's either coming back or will be replaced, probably with someone like Yakupov, who, while not having as much production as MoJo, has also been locked into a bit of a messy organization, he could potentially flourish here, or, if not, he'll at least bring solid 3rd line production making the drop off between MoJo and him minimal.  We've got plenty of cap space this year to sign somebody, so no need to worry, 3rd LW will be filled effectively.

I'm seeing that MoJo is going for arbitration.

That's probably gonna cost us, because I'm also hearing he's got some favorable comps.

Frankly, I just don't get it, he's seeking top 30 LW money, but he's not a top 30 LW. I could maaaaaybe see a slight pay bump to put him in the top 40 (preferably below 35 though), with some logic backflips to make it alright, but top 30 pay just feels way off the mark, even after assuming he's a 2nd liner in a little more than half the league AND that we need to account for inflation.

Can we trade once arbitration has been asked for? I have to double check the rules later but there were some wrinkles there. If we can, now would he the time to trade him and change for Yakupov, now that we've realized we ain't getting out of arbitration without paying at least something like 4.25M.

I don't know if we can trade Mojo or not at this stage.

I know we could've traded his rights during the draft and was hoping we would.  He took some tremendous steps last season but he's not going to get any better where we need him too.  And that might be okay come this year.  He scored dirty goals that he would've missed in season's past.

I don't put much if any of the playoff heart ache on MoJo... but I did look at him as a chip in a trade that could've brought us someone else.

As for Orlov, I'm in the same boat with him only more so.  Dude is still a blue chip OFD prospect.  We're thick on the farm with defense with Johanson, Seigenthaler, Bowey, and others... if we can afford to drop some weight somewhere it was with him.

I promise that Edmonton would've snatched him up with the quickness.

At this point, if Orlov can be kept around for close to what he's been getting, I'm okay with it.

Between Bowey, Orlov, and LuJo, in about 4 years time we should have one of the top 3 scoring defenses in the NHL, anything less will be a disappointment.

I'm more interested in seeing what happens with Siegenthaler than all the puck-movers. I mean, offensive defensemen are great and all, but it seems like they're to be found everywhere while a stay-at-home defenseman is a bit harder to find. I had high hopes for Patrick Wey before a couple of talentless pieces of **** ended his career.

In regards to Orlov, I'd love to see what he could do if were to focus more on his defensive game. He's definitely got the physicality.

McPhee isn't as bad as people made him out to be here. The Forsberg trade was disastrous but it was a move made out of desperation to keep his job which you should never put your GM in a position to make.

Pretty much. And the only reason we had Forsberg to fritter away on a bad trade was because of the shrewd trade of the oft-injured Varlamov for a 1st and 2nd.

I'm done with the McPhee bashing... but don't tell me he was any good. Don't you dare.

If he didn't luck into Ovechkin he was straight doo doo.

And he spent a good amount of Ovi's prime doing nothing to help him.

I'm done with the McPhee bashing... but don't tell me he was any good. Don't you dare.

If he didn't luck into Ovechkin he was straight doo doo.

And he spent a good amount of Ovi's prime doing nothing to help him.

The first few years of Ovi we were still in total rebuilding mode.

You can't say he did nothing outside of Ovi. He got us Backstrom, Green and Semin(had some good years here), and he drafted not one not two but three quality goalies including a guy who just won the Vezina.

In fact I think a good chunk of our roster that's still here now, or what was our roster this past season anyway, was McPhee acquisitions.

You can't say he did nothing outside of Ovi. He got us Backstrom, Green and Semin(had some good years here), and he drafted not one not two but three quality goalies including a guy who just won the Vezina.

In fact I think a good chunk of our roster that's still here now, or what was our roster this past season anyway, was McPhee acquisitions.

McPhee drafted:

Ovechkin

Backstrom

Johansson

Kuznetsov

Burakovsky

Wilson

Beagle

Galiev

Carlson

Alzner

Orlov

Schmidt (UFA Rookie)

Holtby

Grubauer

Forsberg

Fehr

Semin

Gordon

Odoya

Green

Varlamov

Neuvirth

He may have been atrocious at the trade deadline and in FA, but he could draft.

Without Ovechkin none of his teams were playoff teams.  Everyone has a good draft pick or two.

But he didn't have a clue how to build a franchise.  And it'll show with Vegas.

McPhee drafted:

He may have been atrocious at the trade deadline and in FA, but he could draft.

17 years as a GM and you gave me a list of 22 players.  Most of which are fan favorites which constantly fail to deliver, a couple of which are out of the league... one of which has won multiple cups with another team and never played for the Caps, a few of which are strong players, and then you have best goal scorer of our generation... possibly in the history of our game. 

I think I'll wet my pants...

My primary hope is that McPhee takes someone expensive from us next year who we don't protect.

Orpik would be ideal but he was signed after McPhee, right? Could still see it, but maybe less likely.

Maybe if we get roped into a 4.5M+ contract with MoJo he'll take that off our hands. Could definitely see it since he drafted the guy.

Maybe if we get roped into a 4.5M+ contract with MoJo he'll take that off our hands. Could definitely see it since he drafted the guy.

I think Mojo will already be off our hands.. He can only sign a 1 year deal now that it's gone to arb..

Archived