Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

20 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

So then you're going to skip the first 7 months of the season, right?  I mean, the Caps are a great team and have a very good shot at winning it all this year, but statistically speaking, there's an even greater chance that they won't (considering there are 6 - 8 other teams that are legitimate contenders).  So if their entire season hinges on them winning the Cup, why bother with the regular season, or hell, even the first couple rounds of the playoffs?

BTW, Ovie won 6 Richards.  "Worthless" to you, but pretty cool for those of us who have gotten to see him play over the years and will get to say we followed the best goal scorer of this generation.

And I'm not trying to say individual awards and Presidents trophies trump a Stanley Cup.  Like you, I'm a longtime fan.  I go to most home games and I watch all the others, and I'd give anything to see them win a Cup.  But to discard an entire 82-game season because you're not happy with what happens in June is setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment.  Go Caps.

I was going off the "4 in a row" that you stated.  I know he's won 6.  I don't skip seasons.  I know the regular season is important for seeding and home ice.  I've seen a great regular season team for a few years now.  It's time for them to take the next step and at this point anything but a cup appearance (at least get there) is a wasted season, including individual awards. I'm just afraid the Capitals will waste the greatest goal scorer of this generation, much like they did with Peter Bondra. June?  Hell, get out of April first and then I'll be impressed. Too late for disappointments.  They've been doing that for a long time. And I do watch the regular seasons and they are usually fun to watch.  My whole rant is, they need to take the next step.  It's Ovie's 11th year.

18 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Loving all of these unique hot takes about how everything is meaningless but the Stanley Cup.  Insightful!

So what is the point of a season?  Do they just play for stats, fun and money?  Does Ted own the team just for the money?  You play for the cup.  The Caps have won just about every award out there.  There's only one more to win.

Sadly, the regular season seems to mean jack **** for seeding anymore.  Won the ****ing President's Trophy last year and never faced the bottom remaining seed.  Instead we got to face the top remaining seed.  82 games to set the playoff participants in which more than half the teams get in, and it's a crapshoot who you'll face instead of being rewarded for being the top seed.

Full disclosure, I'm not buying Center Ice for a month since I'm moving back to the DMV in December.  So outside of the a free preview for a week and the nationally televised games I'll miss a few here and there.  But on paper, this looks like as good a team as we've had... just like last years.

That was depressing to watch. I'm going to enjoy the season because I have zero expectations for this team. Doesn't mean I won't be hopeful. How many games before 8 and 19 are back together? 

Bura...one of the keys to the entire season. 

What was Carlson doing in the pens fast back?

26 minutes ago, Hersh said:

MoJo in mid season form. Everyone should know what I mean by that. 

How about not using his speed in the one on one during OT?

Never understood why any coach would let Ovi take shootouts....

Not for me.

Well, that sucked.. I liked the fire, up until the 1st goal anyway! lol Burt looks good, those 20 extra pounds suit him nicely and he's still got the touch! Needs to add 5-10 more imo.. Wilson didn't do anything to impress me though.. If he's hoping to become a "Joel Ward" type, lawd help us.. Didn't see anything even close to that kind of board play from him.. Orlov needs to calm down, he reminds me of a kid on riddlin (sp) or something.. Not that he did anything egregious, just watching him I get queasy waiting for something bad to happen.. Those guys need to take a step if this team wants to get over the hump.. "Most" everyone else, we know what were gonna get.. Long season, so we'll see..

I think we'll see the 3rd and 4th lines changed around a lot. It was interesting that Wilson really didn't want to seem to fight at all and I don't expect much from him playing on the 4th line playing with Beagle and Winnick.

Skipped the game like I said I would.  My main reason was that the game was on NBCSN and with them raising a banner, I knew the night would be full of bias and bull**** from them (NBC). The NHL stuck a knife in our back scheduling us the first game in their arena.  At least we got a point.

The real season starts tomorrow night as far as I'm concerned.

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

I think we'll see the 3rd and 4th lines changed around a lot. It was interesting that Wilson really didn't want to seem to fight at all and I don't expect much from him playing on the 4th line playing with Beagle and Winnick.

Wilson is a lost cause at this point.  McPhee and Oates ruined him.  He could've been a legit power forward if properly developed.  Now he's just a goon... and it is what it is. 

I wouldn't call him a bust, but we did it to ourselves.

2 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Wilson is a lost cause at this point.  McPhee and Oates ruined him.  He could've been a legit power forward if properly developed.  Now he's just a goon... and it is what it is. 

I wouldn't call him a bust, but we did it to ourselves.

I think the NHL's ****ty and should-be-illegal deal with the CHL is to blame.  Wilson was too big to be playing with kids, but needed a chance to develop with people closer to his skill level like, say, I don't know... the AHL.  Perhaps they should have sent him to Europe to get around the collusion to **** young people forcing them to play in Juniors.

2 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Skipped the game like I said I would.  My main reason was that the game was on NBCSN and with them raising a banner, I knew the night would be full of bias and bull**** from them (NBC). The NHL stuck a knife in our back scheduling us the first game in their arena.  At least we got a point.

The real season starts tomorrow night as far as I'm concerned.

Man you should've heard Pierre during the shootout when a goal was ruled to be off the crossbar but really went it and they had to review it.  He was in midseason form...

I can't ****ing stand the dude anymore... I have to mute it.

Archived