Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

17 years as a GM and you gave me a list of 22 players.  Most of which are fan favorites which constantly fail to deliver, a couple of which are out of the league... one of which has won multiple cups with another team and never played for the Caps, a few of which are strong players, and then you have best goal scorer of our generation... possibly in the history of our game.

That's a lot of solid draft picks, especially with how late some of them were drafted.

Some other players acquired by McPhee: Sergei Fedorov, Mike Knuble, Victor Kozlov, Cristobal Huet (hey, only one post season, but it was a hell of a run to get there), Brooks Laich (he was great for us before the lockout/injury), Matthieu Perreault, Matt Hendricks, Dennis Wideman, Thomas Fleischmann, John Erskine (he was a playoff performer on D), Joel Ward, Jason Chimera, Mikhail Grabovski, etc..

That's a lot of solid draft picks, especially with how late some of them were drafted.

Some other players acquired by McPhee: Sergei Fedorov, Mike Knuble, Victor Kozlov, Cristobal Huet (hey, only one post season, but it was a hell of a run to get there), Brooks Laich (he was great for us before the lockout/injury), Matthieu Perreault, Matt Hendricks, Dennis Wideman, Thomas Fleischmann, John Erskine (he was a playoff performer on D), Joel Ward, Jason Chimera, Mikhail Grabovski, etc..

Not saying he couldn't find solid players.

I think my point stands.

the point being that... he built a President Trophy winning team from the ground up so clearly he sucks?

The point being, without Ovechkin, this isn't a consistent playoff team.

Read carefully youngster.

I'm talking to a local kid here who couldn't even root for the Redskins.

Band wagoneer.

Nice!  Was just coming in to post that.

I don't hate the deal.  I think it's fair.

Hopefully the stability calms him down.  Either way, that's a very tradable contract.

ThePeerless@ThePeerless 7m7 minutes ago

Next year, Caps have AB65, EK92 as RFAs, Oshie, Alzner, and Williams are UFAs. Think this year is important?

Nice!  Was just coming in to post that.

I don't hate the deal.  I think it's fair.

Hopefully the stability calms him down.  Either way, that's a very tradable contract.

ThePeerless@ThePeerless 7m7 minutes ago

Next year, Caps have AB65, EK92 as RFAs, Oshie, Alzner, and Williams are UFAs. Think this year is important?

EXCELLENT deal.  And like you all have been saying, it's a tradable contract. 

I have a feeling he'll be moved before next season to free up $$. 

DTM About Heart @DTMAboutHeart 21m21 minutes ago

This + his inability to put up impressive point totals leads to my disapproval of the Marcus Johansson contractpic.twitter.com/cuhCONeDi6

Cn0MR31UMAEoCR0.jpg
0 retweets 0 likes

Joe Beninati @JoeBpXp 39s40 seconds ago

Simply put, the next off-season for the Caps will be fascinating to watch unfold. So many key personnel decisions to be made.

We'll have to.

I think this is the most important year in the history of the franchise. 

No Cup for the Caps likely means Ovi retires without one.

EXCELLENT deal.  And like you all have been saying, it's a tradable contract. 

Wait, you mean that they will move him in the next month or two or after next season?

Before the '17-'18 season.  Not next month, bro LOL. 

That's what I thought but you said before next season. If that is really the plan than this contract sucks even more. If the Caps get lucky, McPhee will take him off their hands as that would be a good pickup for Vegas.

Essentially the Caps are paying the guy that was 6th in scoring on the team and 7th in goals a contract that is the third most for offensive players on the team. Fine if it's a one year contract, but not for 3 years when you have other players far more important coming up as FAs. That contract sets the level for guys like Oshie, Kuvnetsov and Bura depending on their seasons. 

DTM About Heart @DTMAboutHeart 21m21 minutes ago

This + his inability to put up impressive point totals leads to my disapproval of the Marcus Johansson contractpic.twitter.com/cuhCONeDi6

Cn0MR31UMAEoCR0.jpg
0 retweets 0 likes

Joe Beninati @JoeBpXp 39s40 seconds ago

Simply put, the next off-season for the Caps will be fascinating to watch unfold. So many key personnel decisions to be made.

We'll have to.

I think this is the most important year in the history of the franchise. 

No Cup for the Caps likely means Ovi retires without one.

It shouldn't be. Letting guys like MoJo walk and getting rid of a contract like Orpik would give continued flexibility. They seem to be doing the opposite. I don't know when teams are allowed to start talking to McPhee, but that's the way to get the flexibility back. They can take MoJo in the expansion draft then give them a 2nd and Orpik for a 5th round pick. Something like that.

That's what I thought but you said before next season. If that is really the plan than this contract sucks even more. If the Caps get lucky, McPhee will take him off their hands as that would be a good pickup for Vegas.

Essentially the Caps are paying the guy that was 6th in scoring on the team and 7th in goals a contract that is the third most for offensive players on the team. Fine if it's a one year contract, but not for 3 years when you have other players far more important coming up as FAs. That contract sets the level for guys like Oshie, Kuvnetsov and Bura depending on their seasons. 

Knowing what's at stake with our UFAs in '17, I really have zero doubt that he'll be moved.  It's a VERY cap-friendly deal that will be enticing for a lot of other teams around the league. 

If you think about it, if this actually went to arbitration, he'd certainly command 5+ mil.  This year, he's making 4.25 (increases to 4.75 over the last two.) 

We're in a win-now mode.  This contract is NOT untradable.  Despite what the fancy stats say, Johansson is a key piece to the make up of this team.  With the window slowly closing for this team and with some insanely huge decisions looming after the season, this was a deal, either through arbitration or regular negotiations, that had to get done.  I'm not mad at this one bit. 

It shouldn't be. Letting guys like MoJo walk and getting rid of a contract like Orpik would give continued flexibility. They seem to be doing the opposite. I don't know when teams are allowed to start talking to McPhee, but that's the way to get the flexibility back. They can take MoJo in the expansion draft then give them a 2nd and Orpik for a 5th round pick. Something like that.

That's the going rate for mediocrity these days.  Someone will come for a bite of that apple.

Best case scenario, move MoJo for equal value and less cap hit after this year, and Orpik gets taken in the LV expansion draft. That opens up enough for two of our big pieces, right there. We might have to take some hits to move them though, but that's okay if we can extend the window another couple years.

So MoJo deal isn't great, but it's workable, especially if we assume inflation will make his deal more and more palatable as we go.

Glad it's done though. He's important to the success of the 3rd line. I think, seeing as we've added Eller and pushed Beagle down, that we have indeed improved the bottom 6 a bit.

Way I see it, we'll end up with around 2.5 in space to sign Orlov.. Does he take it or shop the market? A team looking for a (young) physical puck mover could easily offer him 3+... He's got upside, but the mistakes he was making late last season are alarming.. Im torn whether I want him back or not..

• 1 month later...

Reirden said he liked Orpik and Orlov together. So, he basically said the three partner options for Orlov are Orpik, Niskanen and Carlson.

Isabelle Khurshudyan ‏@ikhurshudyan  4h4 hours ago

To this point, Todd Reirden alluded to a possible reunion of Alzner and Carlson.

Isabelle Khurshudyan ‏@ikhurshudyan  4h4 hours ago

Trotz on Orlov: "I envision him playing with a Niskanen or a Carlson, probably more prime minutes against more guys." Mentioned PP and PK.

Isabelle Khurshudyan ‏@ikhurshudyan  5h5 hours ago

Trotz says contract talks are ongoing between Caps and Orlov. Envisions Orlov playing with Niskanen or Carlson next season.

• 2 weeks later...

So Holtby doesn't start for Canada and the US nets 3 after 2.  3-1 lead for Murica with 20 to play.

Oshie looks pretty good and Carlson looks about like he does this time of year.

Caps preseason starts in a couple of weeks too.

Just doesn't feel like hockey yet, but I'm glad it's on.

I also think the NHL rinks are going to help the US play.  Just a hunch.

Archived