Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

6 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

That's part of the problem.  D.C. Sports fans accept this year after year.  They stilll line the owners pockets.  So nothing will ever change. 

They choked.   Again.  

So don't support your team if they lose? 

Blame loyal fans for team failures.

and this comment gets the most likes on the page.

Sad state of affairs 

He hasn't had playoff success and that is a big knock, but really, I'll take the presidents cup every year than Hunter hockey or Oates crap fest.

Maybe it's motivation on his part, or lack thereof, I don't know.  I know that I like his defensive system that gets the puck out of the zone fast.  I think that his system has a lot to do with Holtby's ultimate success.

Also, I think the best coach in the NHL is busy rebuilding the Maple Leafs.  I'm not really sure who else is available (or will be) that's a better option than Trotz.

Assuming we don't blow it up, we can assume we won't win the presidents trophy next year.  That would at least allow us to escape the pens until the 3rd round. 

Just now, Springfield said:

Ovechkin needs to take the offseason to lose a few lbs, work on his boardwork, forchecking and pretty much every other aspect of the game that doesn't involve shooting or passing the puck.

He won't improve.  Those aspects have remained the same the last 10 years.  It's not going to change all of a sudden.  

I like Burakovsky's game way better than Ovechkin's.  

we fell back into the same stupid mistakes that cost us in the beginning. terrible passes in the middle of the ice, poor puck handling, missing wide open nets. this series really was a tale of 2 teams. and they just were simply outplayed in the 2nd half of the game. i hate the penguins almost as much as the cowboys, but they deserved to win tonight.

3 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Blame loyal fans for team failures.

and this comment gets the most likes on the page.

Sad state of affairs 

Support doesn't have to mean complete acceptance of failure every year. 

3 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Actually, yes.  You can support them emotionally.  Just don't support them financially.  Get rid of the crappy owners.  It all starts at the top.  The Redskins are the ultimate example of this. 

I would never criticize loyal fans.  I'm one of them....although not so much with the Capitals I gave up on them a while ago.  I still hope they do well though.

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

Support doesn't have to mean complete acceptance of failure every year. 

What are we supposed to do? 

Enlighten me. Because being sad during the offseason really does get old. But it's all I know, and is all I'll ever know until one of my teams win a championship. 

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Ovechkin needs to take the offseason to lose a few lbs, work on his boardwork, forchecking and pretty much every other aspect of the game that doesn't involve shooting or passing the puck.

If Ovechkin get's smaller he is going to have to change his game.  He throws his body around with reckless abandon and eventually he is going to go through the same thing that Eric Lindros went through, he's going  to end his career prematurely because of the punishment that he inflicts upon others, but also himself.   

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Guess I didn't miss much. Gotta score goals. Was the second goal a good one or a soft one?

It was glove high but not the worst I've seen.  Ovechkin didn't get the puck out of the zone on the boards, turned it over and then one of the other mother****ers scored.

Holtby played well this game.

Just now, Rattlesnake88 said:

Enlighten me. Because being sad during the offseason really does get old. But it's all I know, and is all I'll ever know until one of my teams win a championship. 

Withhold your money until changes are made to make the team a winner.  

What the Caps have built is a team that people love to go watch during the season.  Love to wear there gear.  All the while lining the owners pocket.  There is ZERO incentive for the owner to make the big changes needed to win a cup.  The same thing has happened with the Skins since Snyder bought the team. They are both built to be money makers.  Not trophy raisers. 

2 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

realize there's nothing we can do... players play and fans cheer. i'll always be overly invested in these teams because thats who i am. but i need to realize that whatever i do (stress, getting pissed, superstitions, calling out owners, etc) is never going to change a thing. 

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

What the Caps have built is a team that people love to go watch during the season.  Love to wear there gear.  All the while lining the owners pocket.  There is ZERO incentive for the owner to make the big changes needed to win a cup.  The same thing has happened with the Skins since Snyder bought the team. They are both built to be money makers.  Not trophy raisers. 

Redskins will be money makers with our without Dan Snyder, and if you think he doesn't want to win then you are fooling yourself.

Just now, Rattlesnake88 said:

Redskins will be money makers with our without Dan Snyder, and if you think he doesn't want to win then you are fooling yourself.

It's not that either of the owners want to win. They both do.  But they want the profit first.  

2 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

realize there's nothing we can do... players play and fans cheer. i'll always be overly invested in these teams because thats who i am. but i need to realize that whatever i do (stress, getting pissed, superstitions, calling out owners, etc) is never going to change a thing. 

That's where I'm at. I just get pissed at all the fairweatherness folks kicking our teams while they are down and throwing shade at loyalists. 

1 minute ago, doncherry said:

If Ovechkin get's smaller he is going to have to change his game.  He throws his body around with reckless abandon and eventually he is going to go through the same thing that Eric Lindros went through, he's going  to end his career prematurely because of the punishment that he inflicts upon others, but also himself.   

I thought Lindros went through major concussion issues.

I also feel like Ovechkin has been less willing to throw his body around for some time now.  Not sure why, but I haven't seen that "bull in a China shop" lately.

9 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Guess I didn't miss much. Gotta score goals. Was the second goal a good one or a soft one?

I'd say more soft than unstoppable. I was mad at Holtby when it happened because I think he should have stopped it. But since the caps scored zero goals, it didn't matter. He could have turned around and shot the puck into his own net and it wouldn't have mattered.

They need to take the C off of Ovis sweater, you cannot skate around casual like he did in the 3rd. Pathetic showing by him when it was likely the biggest game of his career. Oshie is all but gone, Kuznetsov will likely be gone along with Williams. The door has shut for them. 

1 minute ago, maxspruill21 said:

They need to take the C off of Ovis sweater, you cannot skate around casual like he did in the 3rd. Pathetic showing by him when it was likely the biggest game of his career. Oshie is all but gone, Kuznetsov will likely be gone along with Williams. The door has shut for them. 

kuze is the future of this team. i can see oshie, williams, shat, etc, but not kuze

12 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It was soft but it was tricky.  Shot between the legs in an awkward spot you wouldn't expect Hornqvist to be shooting.

Team showed heart, they fought the whole way.  The don't give out trophies for forcing game 7s, though.

Need to overhaul the entire team and that includes 8.  Start all over.  There is no re-tooling, this.

About the only dude I'd move heaven and earth to keep is Kuzy and Burakovsky cause I think those two have killed the most since they've gotten here.

Everyone else can move to Vegas for all I care. 

4 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

kuze is the future of this team. i can see oshie, williams, shat, etc, but not kuze

I hope we can retain him, he was my favorite player this year. Not that it matter much but do we think Grubauer will be gone? 

15 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Kilmer, your posts usually are pretty spot on, but this is really off the mark.  

Archived