Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

34 minutes ago, Keith Huddleston said:

By which I mean a young and up coming star. like Matthews from Toronto

or MacKinnon from Colorado. OV for a teams young star + a boatload of picks. Ted would have to think twice about it, at least. 

If we came to the Maple Leafs and offered OV for Matthews straight up, let alone for a "+ a boatload of picks", the Maple Leafs should and likely would laugh in our face as they fall to the ground rolling around in hysteria.

No one is going to trade a promising young player who has shown something for an aging vet, coming off a down season, who's on the wrong side of 30, with a gigantic contract. It's just not happening. At best you'd possibly get a prospect that has the chance of being big, but hasn't proven anything yet. 

If Ted would have to think more than 2 seconds about a OV for Matthews trade he'd need to be dragged into the street and beaten with a rubber hose.

8 minutes ago, Keith Huddleston said:

I said "LIKE" Matthews. Obviously there is no way we could get him with OV. But some young star that will at least offset

the loss of OV in terms of a marketing draw. 

No team will give up a promising young star for Ovie. At best we'd get a package of B- to B+ caliber players.

59 minutes ago, Keith Huddleston said:

I'm going to say it, and its going to be unpopular, but there it is: trade Holtby. As good as  he is, I'm almsost certain his confidence

in himself as a playoff goalie is totally shot. I don't think he'll ever recover from this series. Trade him for a kings ransom, and

put our trust in Grubs. 

Also, I was thinking about the argument:"The Caps would never trade OV because he brings in the fans and it would be a poor

financial decision." So why not trade OV for another star? By which I mean a young and up coming star. like Matthews from Toronto

or MacKinnon from Colorado. OV for a teams young star + a boatload of picks. Ted would have to think twice about it, at least. 

Already been said and it's not that unpopular. I totally disagree about him not recovering from the playoffs. Last his GA was 2.2 and that's only because Orlov scored on him. Otherwise it's 2.0. Heck, excluding the really bad game 2, the last 8 games he had a GA of 2.0. He'll be fine mentally. 

Problem with trading Holtby is that it would have to happen before the expansion draft along with the Caps giving Copley a one year deal so Grubby could be protected. 

Ovechkin would never get that kind of return. 

17 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Every quote I am reading from break down day indicates this team needs to be blown up.

They are mentally done as a group. They know this is never going to work. 

This includes GMBM and Trotz 

Have any good links? Particularly from the GM and coach.

Popeman38 as GM:

65-19-77

8-92-Alexander Radulov

90-20-43

13-83-14

9-2

88-22

44-74 (Chorn horn as 7th)

Copley

Yes, I know it will never happen...

I know most of you don't like Shattenkirk, but over the course of a full season, he is a beast. Radulov made a lot of people eat their words this year and is 30. He would THRIVE next to Kuzy. The Russian line would destroy.

I am totally on board that this team needs a head coach that has won a Stanley Cup. They've had players that have won it, but not a coach. 

Anyone that doesn't want to be a Capital, I'd accommodate their request. 

21 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Have any good links? Particularly from the GM and coach.

Here is WaPost from Isabelle & Steinberg:

In his press conference, Coach Barry Trotz expressed the disappointment he felt following the Capitals’ Game 7 loss, in response to a question from Post columnist Dan Steinberg. When asked about any potential coaching changes, he referred reporters to General Manager Brian MacLellan.

The best part of Trotz's press conference came at the end, when @dcsportsbog mentioned he seemed more upbeat than players. (Dan's right).

— Isabelle Khurshudyan (@ikhurshudyan)

Trotz said he was angered. "I haven't slept in two friggin' days."

Barry Trotz said incessant talk of past failures is "becoming a joke to the guys," something they laugh at. I…do not believe that.

— Dan Steinberg (@dcsportsbog)

Several players implied something is amiss, that something needs to change. Niskanen said "cosmetic changes" won't fix it.

I asked Trotz if he expects changes to come on the coaching end. Said it's a better question for MacLellan.

That's all the Post has directly from Trotz' presser...

10 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Every quote I am reading from break down day indicates this team needs to be blown up.

They are mentally done as a group. They know this is never going to work. 

This includes GMBM and Trotz 

I'd rather blow it up and start retooling than continue the downward slide with the current group. Some guys that are still young/good I'd keep but others could be parted with. Would be onboard with moving Ovechkin for whatever you can get, Holtby is a valuable trade piece (and Grubi is decent). I'd keep Backstrom and Kuzy, and re-sign Oshie if possible. But the team is definitely veteran-laden, they are getting expensive, and they are getting less effective. 

Fully expecting to see the team slowly decline in front of our eyes though. Not gonna be fun. This year and last was the window. 

21 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Popeman38 as GM:

65-19-77

8-92-Alexander Radulov

90-20-43

13-83-14

9-2

88-22

44-74 (Chorn horn as 7th)

Copley

Yes, I know it will never happen...

I know most of you don't like Shattenkirk, but over the course of a full season, he is a beast. Radulov made a lot of people eat their words this year and is 30. He would THRIVE next to Kuzy. The Russian line would destroy.

In exit interviews today, Shattenkirk said he'd like to stay but have a larger role.  Um....nope. 

He's not a #1 defenseman and he STRUGGLED even playing sheltered minutes.  He can go, Carlson can go, Alzner can go, and Orpik can go.  Only guy that I want back are Orlov and Schmidt, and we may lose the latter due to the expansion draft. 

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  We all know that quote.  Same thing applies if we see the majority of the "core" returning next year. 

Let's see what magic GMBM can work to retool this team.  Here's a list of guys I either don't want back, or won't be back due to testing free agency:

Johansson

Eller

Winnik

Oshie

Williams

Carlson

Alzner

Orpik

Shattenkirk

Schmidt

Grubbauer

I would LOVE to have Oshie back in the fold, but he's going to be too expensive to keep around.  Guys like Johansson/Carlson will bring in a good return if traded.  I didn't list Ovechkin, because as much as I feel as though he should be traded, it's going to be a tough task. 

This is a center-driven league, the one guy who I feel is irreplaceable is Nick Backstrom. 

4 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

In exit interviews today, Shattenkirk said he'd like to stay but have a larger role.  Um....nope. 

He's not a #1 defenseman and he STRUGGLED even playing sheltered minutes.  He can go, Carlson can go, Alzner can go, and Orpik can go.  Only guy that I want back are Orlov and Schmidt, and we may lose the latter due to the expansion draft. 

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  We all know that quote.  Same thing applies if we see the majority of the "core" returning next year. 

Let's see what magic GMBM can work to retool this team.  Here's a list of guys I either don't want back, or won't be back due to testing free agency:

Johansson

Eller

Winnik

Oshie

Williams

Carlson

Alzner

Orpik

Shattenkirk

Schmidt

Grubbauer

I would LOVE to have Oshie back in the fold, but he's going to be too expensive to keep around.  Guys like Johansson/Carlson will bring in a good return if traded.  I didn't list Ovechkin, because as much as I feel as though he should be traded, it's going to be a tough task. 

This is a center-driven league, the one guy who I feel is irreplaceable is Nick Backstrom. 

What about Niskanen? I'd keep him though he might be the defenseman I would leave unprotected for the expansion draft while keeping Orlov, Schmidt and Carlson. I don't think they would want Niskanen and his contract. 

I agree generally, but doesn't that start with the GM. We haven't had a new voice from outside the organization in 20 years. Leonsis promoted from within. I think if they don't start there, it's doing the same thing over and over again. 

• Associated Press

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Stars have signed goaltender Ben Bishop to a six-year, $29.5 million deal.

I sill would try to move Holtby, he came up sort when it counted.  Clutch goalies don't do that.  The contract Bishop signed shows teams are willing to deal.  If we can get a young player or some picks, I would do it. 

1 minute ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

I sill would try to move Holtby, he came up sort when it counted.  Clutch goalies don't do that.  The contract Bishop signed shows teams are willing to deal.  If we can get a young player or some picks, I would do it. 

Giving up two goals is coming up short when it counted? smh 

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Giving up two goals is coming up short when it counted? smh 

How many did Fleury give up in game 7?

The point is, this team needs some MAJOR changes. I much rather do that now than watch a slow death. Ovie is going move because he's one of the highest paid players in the league and has a semi no trade clause. 

Holtby is second in the history of the NHL in playoff GAA at .9318, trailing only Tim Thomas at .9326.

HOLTBY IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

1 minute ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

The point is, this team needs some MAJOR changes. I much rather do that now than watch a slow death. Ovie is going move because he's one of the highest paid players in the league and has a semi no trade clause. 

MAF is 42nd in playoff GAA at .9083, which is bad for a regular season tender and ranks behind some stand-up tenders from the '70s...

quick question here as I don't enough about the minor league team but Hershey won last night and up 2-1 in the series...Chris Bourque scored two goals including game winner....I know we gave him a stint on the Caps at some point and apparently he was out of the organization and then came back but is he a career minor leaguer?  I heard size is a factor but we need some gritty players that are playing with a chip on their shoulder and get gritty goals....why not give him a chance to see what he had...hell Martin St. Louis wasn't a big guy but shocker he destroyed the Caps in that embarrassing a few years back...

Just curious as to what the deal is with him as he seems like the perfect playoff hockey player (plays with chip on shoulder and with grit)  and something this team lacks.  

26 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

That's because our players choke and Pitssburgh's don't...we should've had at least 3 goals but typical chokers like MoJo wasted golden opportunities. Even Oshie blew an open net.

Holtby was TERRIBLE in the Pens series.  Don't care what his all-time #'s are, he needed to be better.  No getting around that. 

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

I am totally on board that this team needs a head coach that has won a Stanley Cup. They've had players that have won it, but not a coach. 

Anyone that doesn't want to be a Capital, I'd accommodate their request. 

Personally, I'd like the Caps to get as far away from making hires strictly due to connections/nostalgia.  Oates, Johansson, Hunter, Trotz, etc...

Yes, I get that it gets people feeling warm and fuzzy inside when they see guys they watched growing up now behind the bench, but please, for the love of everything, get someone in here with actual playoff success.  Newsflash...playoff success will ALSO generate ticket sales.  Doesn't just have to be someone who was one time or another associated with the Caps, Skipjacks, etc. 

*cough* Sutter *cough*

14 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Holtby was TERRIBLE in the Pens series.  Don't care what his all-time #'s are, he needed to be better.  No getting around that. 

Holtby gave up more than 2 goals 3 times in the Pens series and one of those times it was due to an own goal by Orlov. If you hold the Pens or any high scoring team to few than 3 goals in 4 games in a 7 game series, it's not on the goalie as to the team losing. With the Orlov goal, Holtby had a 2.42 goals against and without that goal, Holtby had a 2.28 goals against for the series. For all the talk about MAF, Pens outscored the Caps 20-19. Holtby playing one less period than MAF and gave up 2 less goals than MAF. 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

Holtby gave up more than 2 goals 3 times in the Pens series and one of those times it was due to an own goal by Orlov. If you hold the Pens or any high scoring team to few than 3 goals in 4 games in a 7 game series, it's not on the goalie as to the team losing. With the Orlov goal, Holtby had a 2.42 goals against and without that goal, Holtby had a 2.28 goals against for the series. For all the talk about MAF, Pens outscored the Caps 20-19. Holtby playing one less period than MAF and gave up 2 less goals than MAF. 

Don't care how you spin it, he needed to be better.  You can spout off GAA all you want, but let's think about the quality of goals Pittsburgh scored in that series.  How many do you think Holtby wanted back? 

8 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Don't care how you spin it, he needed to be better.  You can spout off GAA all you want, but let's think about the quality of goals Pittsburgh scored in that series.  How many do you think Holtby wanted back? 

EVERY goalie in every series wants goals back. I would say the ones that would bother him the most are the second goal in game 1 cause he didn't control the rebound and another one he got beat near side on. (Not the Malkin goal in the game the Caps won in OT) However, the Pens had a bunch of quality goals. It's not spin just because it doesn't fit your narrative of horrible play. Could Holtby have been better? Sure. Is there a single player on the team that couldn't have been better?   

49 minutes ago, Hersh said:

EVERY goalie in every series wants goals back. I would say the ones that would bother him the most are the second goal in game 1 cause he didn't control the rebound and another one he got beat near side on. (Not the Malkin goal in the game the Caps won in OT) However, the Pens had a bunch of quality goals. It's not spin just because it doesn't fit your narrative of horrible play. Could Holtby have been better? Sure. Is there a single player on the team that couldn't have been better?   

My narrative of horrible play?  LOL.  Dude, you're the one sitting here and making excuses for him. 

For one, I NEVER said he was solely at blame for the Pens series loss.  Secondly, I maintain, if Holtby has his save % around 91%, there's a good chance the Caps are playing the Pens in the conference finals.  He wasn't good in the series at all.  Not near the level of excellence we've seen of him in the past. 

Archived