Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

28 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Vrana is NHL ready.  He was hot garbage once he got sent back down to the AHL, but most likely because he was discouraged with not being in the NHL.  His game is perfect for the NHL - speed, puck possession, and sniping. He should be on the 3rd line next year.

Have to agree...Trotz/Mann haven't done much as far as his development.  The former, is part of the reason why I want him out of here.  He's TERRIBLE at developing young players.  With the way the league is trending, having young talent infused in the lineup is going to be the norm.  Caps have to adapt and find a way to get guys like Vrana, Bowey, Djoos, etc. regular PT. 

25 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Liam O'brien is who they need to get on the ice next year..

Didn't watch any Hershey games this year, but did O'Brien play on the PK?  If he did, there is no reason for him not to be in consideration for 4th line minutes next year w/ the Caps.  Other than the fact he's young and Trotz. 

10 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Didn't watch any Hershey games this year, but did O'Brien play on the PK?

I doubt it, ( I don't watch Hershey either) but he only got in half the games of their last series, unless he was injured? I just like his motor, attitude and work ethic. But he's not cut in the Hershey/Caps prospect mold, (ie: skate/skill/soft) so he'll probably never be heard from (around here) again.

Edit: #Smashville (They're gritty! Hope they can smash the Pens as well)

I have a little bit of bitterness watching Forsberg, Lavy, and Poile get to the finals, but it's well deserved.  EASY team to pull for and I would love nothing more right now than to see PK Subban holding the cup over his head in a few days. 

I hope all of this is burning at GMBM's soul.  Fire Trotz, don't be afraid to make a big trade (Carlson/Ovechkin/etc,) something has to give....Preds didn't think twice about trading guys like Jones and Weber and now look at them. 

What a shock, you hire a coach that has been to the Final and you make the Final, who would have thought!!!!

Meanwhile, we hire a guy who has never seen a Conference Final, to lead a team that has never seen a Conference Final, past the Conference Final ... yeah ...

44 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

What a shock, you hire a coach that has been to the Final and you make the Final, who would have thought!!!!

Meanwhile, we hire a guy who has never seen a Conference Final, to lead a team that has never seen a Conference Final, past the Conference Final ... yeah ...

Caps HAVE to get away from hires just because of a connection/nostalgia/alumni.  I hope GMBM does what's right and fires Trotz and really tries to reshape the roster. 

I like that Oshie said he wants to be here. He doesn't like change and he believes in this team. I mean money still talks, but it always seems hockey guys are more down to earth than any other professional players.

Maybe Oshie could give Cousins a call. 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Persistence?  Like the creep who keeps talking to the girl who clearly isn't into her?

I do think that something needs to change.  I think an infusion of youth would help, because our main peoblem is that we are old and slow.  Wouldn't be opposed to moving a key piece for the right price.  I'd love a guy like Nylander, who is young, has a motor and gets into it and makes stuff happen.  Obviously ain't happening with our lack of picks this year and next, so that would take a trade (or getting lucky with one of our Hershey prospects).  I'd also love to see some of the guys like Vrana, Bowey, Galiev getting some time up here but I don't really have high hopes for any except for Vrana - who, from limited action, seemed just OK.

8 hours ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Most of y'all cry about puck luck all playoffs long...then when we lose a game 7 to the most likely back to back Stanley cup winners y'all want to blow the whole thing up. If it was truly puck luck, y'all would be wanting another shot.

Its not luck. The core of this team just doesn't have that extra gear you need in the playoffs.

They have talent, and they play to their max potential in the regular season which is why they dominate(while most teams probably take it on cruise control for chunks of the season and only turn it on late or in certain spots).

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its not luck. The core of this team just doesn't have that extra gear you need in the playoffs.

They have talent, and they play to their max potential in the regular season which is why they dominate(while most teams probably take it on cruise control for chunks of the season and only turn it on late or in certain spots).

I don't really think that.

I don't think that teams turn on cruise control or take breaks.  The Penguins, for example, could have won the president's trophy but barely lost out to the Caps.  The weren't coasting at any point and now they're in the SCF.

I just think that players like Ovechkin and Backstrom don't really play at a higher level in the playoffs for whatever reason.  It trickles down to the rest of the team.

Oshie, Wilson, Williams.  Seems like they just care more.  We need more players like them.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I don't really think that.

I don't think that teams turn on cruise control or take breaks.  The Penguins, for example, could have won the president's trophy but barely lost out to the Caps.  The weren't coasting at any point and now they're in the SCF.

I just think that players like Ovechkin and Backstrom don't really play at a higher level in the playoffs for whatever reason.  It trickles down to the rest of the team.

Oshie, Wilson, Williams.  Seems like they just care more.  We need more players like them.

Ovechkin and Backstrom lead the team in playoff points respectively each of the last two years and they don't seem to care enough??

Archived