Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF we made the paloffs, would you really be ok with it?

brandymac27

So our schedule is:

Giants

Cowboys

Bears

Bills

Eagles

Cowboys

Giants remaining schedule is:

@ Redskins

Jets

@ Dolphins

Panthers

@ Vikings

Eagles

If we get the W tomorrow, we're looking at at least 3 W's... Cowboys x2 and the Eagles away (if we keep our **** together).  We'd have to steal one against the Bears or the Bills to get to 9-7 and that probably wins the division.

The way we have played at home I'd like our chances against any of the wildcard teams. None of the teams in the mix (GB, MIN, ATL, TB, SEA) have been killing people. It is not like a year when a division winner goes 14-2 and the top Wildcard is 12-4. Seattle won the division at 7-9 and won their 1st game, so did Carolina last year. Both of those teams made big jumps into real contenders.

Realistically we have seen what we look like against Carolina and New England, the two teams we would likely have to go through to win it all. But you always want to get playoff experience. Especially when you have young players and are in the early build stage.

I'd like to see us do something against our divisional foes and take the division, I have no expectations about going anywhere in playoffs but with building a new sense of self and new attitude under McClue, it would definitely be a plus in years to come. I really don't see a downside, an awful lot of people had us winning 2-3 games this year, and here it is after Thanksgiving and we're still RELEVANT!! Hard to even wrap my head around that.

This is setting up early similar to 2012. We win out and we win the division (heck, if we lose one more but inot to a division opponent, we still have a shot). Reid's Eagles fell apart that year and New York self-destructed (the Cowpeiies sort of fill that role this year). As a fan, I am filled with trepidation that a 2015 Cousins is analogous to the 2012 RG3 and added to his future bust status gets a huge contract. Part of me would be worried that I'd expect us to take the next step only to see us have to start over in 2016. Other part tells me, there are significant differences between 2012 and 2015 such as SM and draft picks.

I'm never unhappy about making the playoffs. I won't be enthused about being mocked for being an underwhelming entry and pegged for a first round exit, but so be it.

My main concern would be keeping any such playoff appearance in perspective and not thinking we're better or closer than we are.

My main concern would be keeping any such playoff appearance in perspective and not thinking we're better or closer than we are.

That would be a challenge for the fan base. :lol:   Even I caught a little of the bug after the Panthers loss, but that was more for the dumb mistakes and the refs than the loss.

I mean, right now it certainly looks like 6 wins is on the table, which is an AMAZING acheivment for this team.  If they win the division, even with the rest of the narrative, I'd be on cloud nine.

I think 5-1 the rest of the way gets it done, and with Romo out I certainly think it's not out of the question.

I certainly won't be disappointed if we win the division, that is always an achievement.  The outside world would say we won a weak division, but I would say that we took a rag tag team riddled with injuries and found a way to get it done.  There is just no way to spin it negatively in my eyes.  Also we would get the young guys a taste of the postseason, and get Kirk some playoff experience.  That stuff doesn't grow on trees.

I would be doing handstands if we made the playoffs esp after the way we looked in some of those blowout losses. If we make the playoffs that would mean we beat out the Giants and the Giants and their fans are so confident that they will be NFC EAST champs they are looking past us already. They think we are a easy win for them. If we are NFC EAST CHAMPS maybe the cheapskate Giants will fire Tom C and that would make my year. I need a win this week please.

Absolutely OK with it. Beating the Giants tomorrow, winning division while saying Suck it to Mara, Jones and Kelly; that in itself would be worth it. We did it in 2005, 2007, and 2012 so why not this year?

Yes, give SM credit, however, most of the credit has to go to Jay (some of you will never admit that) and keeping this team together and not being afraid to use the young players. Most injured team in NFL, making the right decision at QB, steady improvement all around and only going to get better! How many times have we seen them quit while facing similar obstacles?

Another strong offseason, a playoff appearance this year will only set up this team to be dominant the next couple of years.

Of course I would. It would give the young players something to feel confident about going into next season. Also, the last two teams to make the playoffs with a losing record both won their playoff home games. Carolina made it last year at 7-8-1 and are 11-0 this year. Seattle made it at 7-9 in 2010 and, after another 7-9 season in 2011, won 11 games in 2012 and 13 in 2013 en route to a Super Bowl. There are carry over effects for young teams when they experience success.

Yes.

It doesn't matter if we get our teeth kicked in in the first round, making the playoffs is an accomplishment.

Moreover, the division is weak.  A team that is worth anything is going to seize the opportunity to take this division that is ripe for the picking and run to the playoffs.  Giants have done that several times, and it's netted them 2 SBs.

Sure, we almost certainly won't follow that same path, but you never know until you try.  And maybe getting stomped in the playoffs by superior coaching would help teach our coaches more about where they need to get to.

The only reason not to reach the playoffs would be for the draft pick, but if we win the remaining games we're supposed to (Dallas twice, Philly, Bills@home), we're already gonna be in the mid-teens.  Let's drop another 4ish slots and get to the playoffs.  Scot can draft winners anywhere anyway.

A division win is a division win. You can only play the hand you are dealt. The Panthers won their division last year at 7-9 and that included 4 straight regular season wins. They were 3-9, won 4 in a row, won the division and have now won 15 straight regular season games in a row. 

In sports these days it's not about the regular season, it's about getting hot at the right time. Wild cards win Super Bowls. 49 Super Bowls played - 6 of them won by wild card teams including an 8-8 New York Giants team that got hot and beat the 18-0 Patriots.

So yeah, I'll take it.

So if the fear is we may get beat badly... Why ever go out to play at all?

Good teams get smoked in the playoffs all the time.

Would you feel worse than any other playoff loss?

1 point loss or 50 point loss makes no difference at all. Both result in exactly the same ticket to the offseason.

So what if we make it in and a few bounces go our way and we find ourselves in the conference championship?

Should we forfeit because we aren't very good?

In football no one lucks their way that far. If you make the playoffs anything can happen. One and done means one weird bounce and a highly improbable upset can occur. But even with a sudden format like that the chaff gets separated. If you make it you earned it, period. No one cares if the division is weak. The only way that matters is to the wild card teams who have to worry about it.

~Bang

Archived